Petition for Brittney's release

39,186 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
Oso del lago
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Claw said:

bawitdaball said:

The Claw said:

I read an article that asked the question "What if Tom Brady was currently being held by Russian officials; would the response be different?" Unfortunately, I think so.

I don't think Tom Brady would have an agent that allowed him anywhere near Russia in the last 6 months.

I think you missed the point.

You're hypothetical point is noted for hypothetical sexism, and racism, the actual point is TB12 wouldn't ever be in that position.
The Claw
OBig-O!-Bear said:

The Claw said:

bawitdaball said:

The Claw said:

I read an article that asked the question "What if Tom Brady was currently being held by Russian officials; would the response be different?" Unfortunately, I think so.

I don't think Tom Brady would have an agent that allowed him anywhere near Russia in the last 6 months.

You're hypothetical point is noted for hypothetical sexism, and racism, the actual point is TB12 wouldn't ever be in that position.

Oh, okay. So you got the point, but then you decided to make a different point and call your point the "actual point." Got it.
Oso del lago
Hey if you need that windmill to tilt, go at it.
SonOfZuno
Everyone keeps missing the main point. She either 1) had the illegal drugs; or 2) did not have the illegal drugs. That must be answered first.
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

Lynnp550
SonOfZuno said:

Everyone keeps missing the main point. She either 1) had the illegal drugs; or 2) did not have the illegal drugs. That must be answered first.
Just STOP.
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

lookin4awin
Doing it every day!
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

Malbec
Consular official able to see BG. Says she is "in good condition."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/world/europe/brittney-griner-russia.html

lookin4awin
Thanks for sharing this. Good to know
SonOfZuno
SonOfZuno said:

Like it or not, this IS THE FIRST question to answer. Anyone jumping to her defense simply because she played basketball at Baylor are, frankly, part of the problem in America today.
Oso del lago
Did you just quote your own opinion?
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

Lynnp550
He cannot get past his own bias. Beginning to think he's either drunk or an idiot.
lookin4awin
not mutually exclusive
SonOfZuno
Lynnp550 said:

He cannot get past his own bias. Beginning to think he's either drunk or an idiot.
Bias?

And, of course, you get personal. Wow.
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

slimecap
Praying for Brittney

GelaBear
SonOfZuno said:

SonOfZuno said:

Like it or not, this IS THE FIRST question to answer. Anyone jumping to her defense simply because she played basketball at Baylor are, frankly, part of the problem in America today.

Actually I think your "question to be answered first" is an indication of what's part of the problem in American today. The answer to your question comes after the question of how a person is being treated. This is especially true when someone is being held in a country that doesn't have a particularly sparkling record regarding human rights. I would have these same concerns regardless of who's being held and what their alleged crime might be. I would rank my belief in the charges about even with something coming out of N Korea, China and any other number of lying liars. The fact that she played for BU hits very close to home. I would advocate for Lauren Cox, DiDi Richards or any other player who played for Baylor, to be released immediately. I don't believe Russians and nothing that has been produced by their propaganda machine has changed my mind.
baylor1984
The Claw said:

bawitdaball said:

The Claw said:

Tom Brady being who he is would make it harder for Russia to let him go. To big of a bargaining chip for them.
SonOfZuno
GelaBear said:

SonOfZuno said:

SonOfZuno said:

Actually I think your "question to be answered first" is an indication of what's part of the problem in American today. The answer to your question comes after the question of how a person is being treated. This is especially true when someone is being held in a country that doesn't have a particularly sparkling record regarding human rights. I would have these same concerns regardless of who's being held and what their alleged crime might be. I would rank my belief in the charges about even with something coming out of N Korea, China and any other number of lying liars. The fact that she played for BU hits very close to home. I would advocate for Lauren Cox, DiDi Richards or any other player who played for Baylor, to be released immediately. I don't believe Russians and nothing that has been produced by their propaganda machine has changed my mind.
Well, as much as I hope it is absolutely not the truth, if it comes out that she in fact did have illegal drugs (per Russian law) in her possession you're going to feel pretty silly.

Sic'em
GelaBear
SonOfZuno said:

GelaBear said:

SonOfZuno said:

SonOfZuno said:

Well, as much as I hope it is absolutely not the truth, if it comes out that she in fact did have illegal drugs (per Russian law) in her possession you're going to feel pretty silly.

Sic'em

It seems very naive to think facts will suddenly come to light in Russia. I doubt the truth will ever truly be known. And having compassion will never make me feel silly.
Lynnp550
My earlier point exactly.
GelaBear
Worth repeating.
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

slimecap
Praying for Brittney

We remember the night of the 2013 WNBA Draft
GelaBear
BG has been front and center at WNBA draft. The W has her back.
Dcheetah
Talk is cheap. Let's see the W refuse to send any players for 5-10 years. Other good leagues the players can play in.. Maybe not much but it's a start.
Bone Squad
Does the WNBA have the power to do that though? My assumption is that every player is free to go wherever they want.

Now on that level, I don't know why any player would want to go to Russia after this, and put their own lives at unreasonable risk.
lookin4awin
I would clean concrete floors with a toothbrush for less than minimum wage before I would travel to Russia right now. Unless things immensely change- I can't imagine any WNBA player going back over there.
slimecap
GelaBear said:

BG has been front and center at WNBA draft.
The W has her back.
Praying for Brittney

"BG has always led with her heart and her absence has left a hole in ours. We are thankful to be joined by every team in bringing a version of this philanthropy in her name to each market."

- WNBA Phoenix Mercury twitter, 12 April 2022
historian
SonOfZuno said:

SonOfZuno said:

Actually, the only real concern is that she is an American citizen being used as a political pawn by a dictator. We may never know the truth about the drug charges & they don't matter because of the context. Besides corrupt governments always abuse the criminal "justice" system for their own purposes: targeting people they don't like & looking the other way when their allies are in trouble. It's laughable to think she will see true justice from the Russians.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
People do all kinds of stupid things for money.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
GelaBear
You could have left "stupid" out of the sentence and it would certainly hit the mark. There are lots of people who go and work in places which are not considered democracies to make money. And work dangerous jobs to make money - firefighting and crab fishing come to mind. Women have been playing basketball overseas for a long time.
https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/wnba-nneka-ogwumike-brittney-griner-speak-out-players-association-164347563.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.