Interesting names in the portal

52,677 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by sicem45
blueeyedbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dcheetah said:

Has Justine Pissot signed anywhere? She could be a great add.
Not yet. She has only been a recent Portal addition.
Runs very well at 6'4", Reminds me of a taller Bella, Lots of upside, Very, motivated and hard worker. She has a nice 3 ball shot and decent handles.
Love to see her at BU but we can't have every good one we want - there's just too many to choose from.
blueeyedbear
Max Roguespierre said:

Jewel Spear just hit the portal out of Wake Forest. With the number of guards already on the Baylor roster, I very much doubt that she will consider the Bears. She is a great perimeter shooter and scorer though.
A couple of questions for you.
1.Where does Jewel's family live ?
2. Where did Jewel go to High School ?
3. Who on BU WBB Team did Jewel play AAU ball with ?
4. Does she bring to the court that Nicki is looking for - Positive Attitude, Toughness, Skills, Team Player and willingness to play defense ?

I understand the point you are making and it makes 100.0% perfect sense - BUT Nicki & staff are not just recruiting for this coming season but for the seasons ahead.
It would not surprise me at all that Jewel would now be on Nicki's and the staff's radar BIG TIME. She fits exactly what they are looking for.

I have not seen Jewel's Portal Transfer statement, but did she declare "No Contact" like HVL did ???
Bear3
Jewel would be a great get but she would push someone to the bench.
blueeyedbear
Bear3 said:

Very True. But that's why Nicki gets the big bucks - LOL

Seriously, yes Jewel is that good but again it is going to come down to the culture Scott, Aranda and Nicki are trying to build where it's the team success that matters not the individual. That is a tough sell to this generation, and I do not minimize the difficulty of the task but I have confidence that Nicki and Staff can pull it off.

It's yet to be determined if Nicki can pull it off this season but if she can it's going to be a very memorable season.
Lynnp550
blueeyedbear said:

Bear3 said:

Seriously, yes Jewel is that good but again it is going to come down to the culture Scott, Aranda and Nicki are trying to build where it's the team success that matters not the individual. That is a tough sell to this generation, and I do not minimize the difficulty of the task but I have confidence that Nicki and Staff can pull it off.

It's yet to be determined if Nicki can pull it off this season but if she can it's going to be a very memorable season.
With this team, I think it's going to be a memorable season, period!
Max Roguespierre
Spear's farewell note was relatively straightforward. She commented on her love for Wake Forest and appreciation for their fans. What sticks out is her reason for leaving. She states that she wants to prepare herself to play at the next level (i.e. WNBA or possibly overseas).

She is from a Dallas suburb and Nicki Collen has coached in the W. So, those factors could work in Baylor's favor. That said, I would not expect someone with her ambition and scoring prowess to go to a program where she wouldn't have a guaranteed role (as a primary scoring option).

As far as I can tell, she ended up at Wake Forest because she wasn't seriously pursued by either Baylor or Texas. She appears to have visited Alabama, N.C. State, Texas Tech, and Wake Forest during her high school recruitment.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where she lands.
blueeyedbear
Lynnp550 said:

blueeyedbear said:

Bear3 said:

With this team, I think it's going to be a memorable season, period!
All I wish for is for this team to make it to the Dance healthy - no more walking around in boots, no more missing practice time and limited game minutes because of injuries and no more back braces.
Can't wait to see what this healthy team can do on the court.
Brusinbear2001
I know CNC has been following her for a long time, she was a player I thought was in the portal last season. However, I do not know if we can get her without losing a guard, and it will be hard to convince her to look at a place like Baylor that is super stacked. Does she want to come home? Maybe a place like Utah, or Maryland. Freese has a good track record of having players in the W.

I do not think it would be South Carolina because of Pao Pao and Raven Johnson
LSU seems to have HVL and Rodgers those are rumors though. I feel it is late in the portal session but it was around this time when we started to get our transfers last year. Maybe a program like UT sadly but Vic's System is not attractive to a lot of players now. Maybe even TCU could be a spot for her with all the new additions.
Dcheetah
She is also 5'10.
blueeyedbear
Max Roguespierre said:

Spear's farewell note was relatively straightforward. She commented on her love for Wake Forest and appreciation for their fans. What sticks out is her reason for leaving. She states that she wants to prepare herself to play at the next level (i.e. WNBA or possibly overseas).

She is from a Dallas suburb and Nicki Collen has coached in the W. So, those factors could work in Baylor's favor. That said, I would not expect someone with her ambition and scoring prowess to go to a program where she wouldn't have a guaranteed role (as a primary scoring option).

As far as I can tell, she ended up at Wake Forest because she wasn't seriously pursued by either Baylor or Texas. She appears to have visited Alabama, N.C. State, Texas Tech, and Wake Forest during her high school recruitment.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where she lands.

She played AAU ball with Sarah.
She is from the Colony
Nicki having coached in the WNBA will defiantly be a factor.
She knows Smith and Liss will give Nicki a good reference.
Baylor has the WNBA offense she would want to play in preparation for the WNBA.

I know you do not agree with me but I do not think her ambition for a "guaranteed" role is as big a factor as you say it is. She won't get a guarantee promise from Nicki - If she comes in willing to compete for her role, she will have earned it - that's better for her and the team.

NIL may be the fly in the ointment as far as Baylor is concerned.

Honestly if you have WNBA ambitions and want a "guaranteed" role you are not the kind of player I as a WNBA GM/Coach want to invest $$$$ for. If you are afraid to compete for your role on the team - don't let the door hit your a..s on the way out the door.

I think we are in a very strong position if Nicki and Staff want her.

Bear3
Jewel is an extremely good player and her style of play fits Nicki's system very well. I definitely think Nicki would take her if she has interest in Baylor. You just can't pass up a player like Jewel if you have a chance to get her .
slimecap
74Bear said:

Per Raoul

DePaul WBB transfer Aneesah Morrow (6-1 SO wing/forward, Chicago, IL) has announced her top 3 schools: LSU, South Carolina, Southern Cal

Reported
Morrow will make LSU campus visit today (Thursday, April 27)
Bear3
I will be very surprised if Morrow ends up at LSU. It seems that LSU will get HVL and I can't see Morrow being willing to "play 3rd fiddle " to her and Angel Reese, I can see her at USC.
IowaBear
She would still put up huge numbers at LSU. She's not putting up 25 a game like she did at DePaul regardless of where she goes. I'd guess USC as well but I wouldn't be shocked if LSU gets her as well. Hell wouldn't be shocked if Staley lands her. Still some huge names left in the portal. It'll be interesting to see it all shake out
BaylorBears_254
HVL to LSU.

If Morrow is on the visit, I think Mulkey is trying to create a super team and get them all.
Jorkel
BaylorBears_254 said:

HVL to LSU.

If Morrow is on the visit, I think Mulkey is trying to create a super team and get them all.

Championships sell
Brusinbear2001
well, we have seen that super teams are beatable look at South Carolina, our BG team her senior year, and Uconn against Mississippi State. There always is going to be a top-of-the-mountain team but it does not mean you are unbeatable.

I think South Carolina is a more marketable spot for her because she will get to play the 4 for sure. LSU might make her be a 5 just to keep a player like Angel happy. She said she went there so she did not have to be a 5. But I think Morrow goes to USC because LA is a huge market, and with the recruits, they are on the come up. She is still the number 1 option when Juju comes along. Stanford is going to be a tad weaker so this is the chance to overtake them one last time. Then she will still be on the team when they move to the Big 10 so she will be playing close to home a lot while getting to be away.
Jorkel
Brusinbear2001 said:

well, we have seen that super teams are beatable look at South Carolina, our BG team her senior year, and Uconn against Mississippi State. There always is going to be a top-of-the-mountain team but it does not mean you are unbeatable.

I think South Carolina is a more marketable spot for her because she will get to play the 4 for sure. LSU might make her be a 5 just to keep a player like Angel happy. She said she went there so she did not have to be a 5. But I think Morrow goes to USC because LA is a huge market, and with the recruits, they are on the come up. She is still the number 1 option when Juju comes along. Stanford is going to be a tad weaker so this is the chance to overtake them one last time. Then she will still be on the team when they move to the Big 10 so she will be playing close to home a lot while getting to be away.

Definitely doesn't guarantee a championship, but it sure helps when you are better than everyone else.
IowaBear
Big names left Morrow, Johnson (NCSU) Spear (WF) who am I missing ?
Brusinbear2001
I've heard Johnson to Ole Miss, it would not be a bad move at all.
Bear3
If Kim gets them all she will have playing time issues. That type of player is not going to LSU to sit on bench. If she also gets Morrow it will likely move Flauge or Williams (# 1 recruit) to bench and I can't see that going well…
IowaBear
How do you figure ? PG HVL SG Williams SF Johnson PF Morrow/Reese C Morrow/Reese
And some solid bodies off the bench like Poa and Poole Smith
IowaBear
Ole Miss is likely to finish top 4 in the SEC, they also got Todd-Williams from UNC. They'll have a tough squad. If they add Johnson they'd have to be the clear #3 team in the SEC
Brusinbear2001
Yeah, they would just be replacing Morris and Williams from the Championship Team. They will be good with or without Morrow. But it just shows how much this game is growing. The WNBA HAS TO EXPAND VERY VERY VERY SOON. I think they could even put a team in New Orleans and make Simone Augustus the coach LSU alone will sell that arena out night in and night out.
BaylorBears_254
Bear3 said:

If Kim gets them all she will have playing time issues. That type of player is not going to LSU to sit on bench. If she also gets Morrow it will likely move Flauge or Williams (# 1 recruit) to bench and I can't see that going well…

Im sure Morrow would be starting that the 4, and Reese at the 5.

Williams as a freshman will come in off the bench, won't be a huge issue as HVL will leave to the WNBA after the season.

They'll definitely work it out. It's not like she's bringing in 5 five star recruits like she did here, and that caused a huge issue.
Brusinbear2001
Is it just me or do yall love how everyone is just sleeping on Baylor at the moment? We are bringing 90pts of offense to our team, we added depth, and we have 3 of the best freshman in the Big 12 on our team now. As of now, we have to be the deepest team in the Big 12. If we can stay healthy we will be a team that nobody will want to see in March. Like no one and I mean NO ONE is talking about us, and the players we have on this roster I just know it fuels their fire. We did not go after the huge names but we got the pieces we needed for sure. We wanted some good shooting we got 4 players that can shoot the ball from the portal. We wanted a big guard we got one, we wanted so defensive players Jada Walker is a great one and everyone is lucky she is not 5'10 or taller. I do not really see holes besides having a dominant 6'5+ player that is ready right now. But we have that being developed.

The future is bright and I hope we can fill out arenas and make the Pav the hardest place to play basketball in the Big 12. If we can do that for our teams there is no question that Waco is a place where players would love to play. CAN IT BE NOVEMBER YET PLEASEEEEE

BaylorBears_254
Brusinbear2001 said:

Is it just me or do yall love how everyone is just sleeping on Baylor at the moment? We are bringing 90pts of offense to our team, we added depth, and we have 3 of the best freshman in the Big 12 on our team now. As of now, we have to be the deepest team in the Big 12. If we can stay healthy we will be a team that nobody will want to see in March. Like no one and I mean NO ONE is talking about us, and the players we have on this roster I just know it fuels their fire. We did not go after the huge names but we got the pieces we needed for sure. We wanted some good shooting we got 4 players that can shoot the ball from the portal. We wanted a big guard we got one, we wanted so defensive players Jada Walker is a great one and everyone is lucky she is not 5'10 or taller. I do not really see holes besides having a dominant 6'5+ player that is ready right now. But we have that being developed.

The future is bright and I hope we can fill out arenas and make the Pav the hardest place to play basketball in the Big 12. If we can do that for our teams there is no question that Waco is a place where players would love to play. CAN IT BE NOVEMBER YET PLEASEEEEE

I don't think anyone is sleeping on Baylor, we look good on paper, but we're bringing in a lot of pieces that have not played together. We have no set starting 5.

Playstyles will have to change, there will have to be some sacrifices, girls who we're averaging 20 a game, won't be averaging that here.

All in all, this will be NC true first year to show what she's capable of with HER team, I look forward to it.
IowaBear
Going from the Ferrell to the Pavillion mid season will be interesting. Can't recall a time that's ever happened although I'm relatively young. I've maintained S16 or bust imo. Obviously there's factors that could contribute to that. But this team really should easily crack 25 wins and be playing on the 2nd weekend. Anything past the S16 is gravy and obviously welcomed. But that's where I'm at 25 wins and S16 is my expectation for this coming season
Jorkel
Brusinbear2001 said:

I would like to win the big 12 again.
Brusinbear2001
I am referring to being slept on in the media, and that can be said for a lot of teams that are in the portal. Ole Miss was a great team and got better players in the portal so I am going to assume they will get better. Same for us, I think with the extra time this summer and the trip we will be able to have time to gel.

Yes, Yaya will not be averaging 22 points a game but she has the potential to score. She played against a great Ohio State Defense and she was their number 1 priority to stop. She scored 21 points that game and had 4 assists. That is the same team that knocked Uconn out of the tournament and was one of the last undefeated teams this season. That is just one example.

I agree with IowaBear S16 for this team is great and playing going into that second weekend is going to get tougher every single year. But this team is capable for sure!!

sicem45
Thought it was interesting that Baylor was a name that popped up for Jewel Spear when she hit the portal as a school that has reached out but rumor has it she is headed to TN
Brusinbear2001
The thing is if we would have got Jewel she would have been starting to cut into Bella or DLB minutes. I think the squad we have is great how it is.
slimecap
IowaBear said:

Big names left Morrow, Johnson (NCSU)
Spear (WF)
who am I missing ?
UPDATE
May 4, 2023

BearTiger
Yes, the starters at LSU are 5-star McDonald's All-Americans--Reese, Van Lith, Flaujae, Williams or Del Rosario. Morrow is now considered 5-star player. It's looking like Morrow to LSU. Kateri Poole was 5-star top 26 player and a starter last season. They are reloading with even better talent than last year. Starting 5 will be Reese, Van Lith, Flaujae, Morrow, and either Poole or Williams. The rich keep getting richer. Their NIL's are ridiculous.
IowaBear
Morrow to LSU if that lineup gels…. Wow

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.