* * MMA - Boxing

51,764 Views | 466 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?

when 'the mighty' (cough cough....) have fallen. He just signed an 8 fight deal with UFC and was to fight Donald Cerone in July. Speculation is he is trying to leverage ownership in UFC
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
TxRainMkr
Waco's Hailey Cowan with a big win tonight at the Bell County Expo Center in Belton with the UFC's Dana White and Matt Serra in attendance looking on.
Assassin
TxRainMkr said:

Waco's Hailey Cowan with a big win tonight at the Bell County Expo Center in Belton with the UFC's Dana White and Matt Serra in attendance looking on.
missed that
Assassin
Watching the UFC on ESPN.

Josh Emmett with a solid KO... dang!

And this is slick as hell. Keep an eye on Hermanson

Assassin
Assassin
I was looking to see who some Waco fighters in MMA were. Heath Herring I knew. A really solid fighter from a few years ago old Crazy Horse

Then I ran across this... Louis Sims

In all my years of Martial Arts, MMA and then watching.. I've never seen anything like this. 0-20 without ever seeing the second round
Assassin
Saturday Night - if Holloway doesnt hurt something else. UFC 236

MAIN CARD
Dustin Poirier vs. Max Holloway TITLE FIGHT
Israel Adesanya vs. Kelvin Gastelum TITLE FIGHT
Eryk Anders vs. Khalil Rountree
Alan Jouban vs. Dwight Grant
Ovince Saint Preux vs. Nikita Krylov

UNDERCARD
Jalin Turner vs. Matt Frevola
Wilson Reis vs. Alexandre Pantoja
Max Griffin vs. Zelim Imadaev
Boston Salmon vs. Khalid Taha
Curtis Millender vs. Belal Muhammad
Montel Jackson vs. Andre Soukhamthath
Poliana Botelho vs. Lauren Mueller
Brandon Davis vs. Randy Costa
Assassin
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw was handed a two-year suspension by United States Anti Doping Agency (USADA) earlier today (Tues., April 9, 2019) stemming from a failed drug test earlier this year.

Cody Shows TJ 'No Love' For Failing Drug Test
After weeks of investigation, it was revealed that "Viper" popped for positive for recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO) prior to his knockout loss to Flyweight champion Henry Cejudo at UFC on ESPN+1 in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Jan. 19, 2019.

Cody Garbrandt, though, called it almost one year ago to date, as Aaron Bronsteter dug up an old tweet from "No Love" from April 18, 2018, where Garbrandt slammed his former teammate for too much EPO use.

Cody Garbrandt posted this on Twitter in April of 2018, specifically accusing Dillashaw of using EPO.

2:33 PM - Apr 9, 2019
"No ***** I'm talking about the March fight and then you said you were hurt, must be all that EPO going to your head! Have a safe camp, see you in Aug!," Garbrandt wrote prior to their rematch at UFC 227 last year.

Furthermore, ESPN's Brett Okamoto revealed that USADA tested more than one sample, and it also came back positive for EPO. Naturally, the additional finding didn't come as a surprise to "No Love," who took to social media to once again criticize his former training partner.

Cody Garbrandt
@Cody_Nolove
Test all his samples I bet for a fact more epo pops up, @TJDillashaw is a coward. Tj call me when that suspension is up! Scum bag

Brett Okamoto
@bokamotoESPN
Another note in Dillashaw's EPO case, USADA went back and re-analyzed a test submitted on Dec. 28, and that also come back positive for EPO. The reason it went undetected initially, is that a special test is required to reveal EPO, and that test is not run on every single sample.

It's not the first time Garbrandt has accused Dillashaw of doping, as the ex-champion claimed Dillashaw showed the entire Team Alpha Male camp of how to effectively use performance enhancing drugs (PEDs).

The news of Dillashaw's drug test failures hit Garbrandt especially hard, as "No Love" suffered back-to-back knockout losses to "Viper." Furthermore, Garbrandt was quick to remind fight fans that all three of his losses have come at the hands of combatants who have failed drug tests.

As a result of his infraction, Dillashaw surrendered his 135-pound strap and didn't dispute the two-year sentence, which will make him eligible to return to action in Jan. 2021. In his absence, a new champion will be crowned as the aforementioned Cejudo and Marlon Moraes will collide for the vacant strap at the upcoming UFC 238 pay-per-view (PPV) event in Chicago, Ill., on June 8, 2019.
hustlenflow
Assassin said:

when 'the mighty' (cough cough....) have fallen. He just signed an 8 fight deal with UFC and was to fight Donald Cerone in July. Speculation is he is trying to leverage ownership in UFC

What an ass clown. Ownership in the UFC? I hate the new EPSN+ deal and the diluted cards. But the ownership will pluck superstars out of the ether. There's always another train coming. Connor made enough off of the Mayweather fight to retire very comfortably. That's all he has to say. Then GTFO.
IslandBear
Keeping tabs on the island girl, Ilima MacFarlane.

Arteaga suffered a pretty gruesome cut from MacFarlane's elbow. Exposed skull, but I've never seen so much blood.

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/04/bellator-220-photos-veta-arteaga-skull-exposed-gash-elbow-ilima-lei-macfarlane
Assassin
IslandBear said:

Keeping tabs on the island girl, Ilima MacFarlane.

Arteaga suffered a pretty gruesome cut from MacFarlane's elbow. Exposed skull, but I've never seen so much blood.

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/04/bellator-220-photos-veta-arteaga-skull-exposed-gash-elbow-ilima-lei-macfarlane
I have one almost exactly like that over my left eye in practice. Doesnt hurt at all. No real pain receptors up there. I would never have gone to the hospital except Coach Steinke made me.

And you are right, lots and lots of blood. Just ran across this picture the day after. I was huge back then, benching close to 400lbs in 1974, playing football for Texas A&I. You can see the bandage over the left eye

Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
IslandBear
Thanks for sharing that pic, Assassin. You were there at the 1975 Aloha Stadium's inaugural sporting event where A&I shellacked Hawaii 43-9. We exchanged messages a few years back on the old forum so I know about your loaded team.

Take away Arteaga's cut and she would've continued strong. You could tell she was alert and still had plenty of fight left in her.
Assassin
IslandBear said:

Thanks for sharing that pic, Assassin. You were there at the 1975 Aloha Stadium's inaugural sporting event where A&I shellacked Hawaii 43-9. We exchanged messages a few years back on the old forum so I know about your loaded team.

Take away Arteaga's cut and she would've continued strong. You could tell she was alert and still had plenty of fight left in her.
There was quite literally no pain. As a matter of fact, no pain when they sewed it up either, just this really weird feeling when the skin was pulled away from your skull as the curved needle was used to stitch it up
Assassin
Assassin
IslandBear said:

Indeed. 26 guys off the teams from my three years signed pro contracts. Kept my average player butt off the field, thats for sure.
Assassin
ufc 238
MAIN CARD
UNDERCARD
Assassin
Holy crap, Valentina just obliterated Jessica Eye. That was one nasty kick. She is still on the mat
Assassin
Cerone got screwed, should have been rewarded with a DQ win over Tony
Assassin
I thought Cejudo was overmatched in Round 1. A total 180 in the 2nd and destroyed on hell of a fighter in Marlon Moraes.

So now he is the UFC Bantamweight AND Flyweight Champion - PLUS, a Olympic Gold Medalist in Judo.

Love this guy! Blue collar fighter, nothing flashy about him, he just comes at you
Assassin
Assassin said:

I thought Cejudo was overmatched in Round 1. A total 180 in the 2nd and destroyed on hell of a fighter in Marlon Moraes.

So now he is the UFC Bantamweight AND Flyweight Champion - PLUS, a Olympic Gold Medalist in Judo.

Love this guy! Blue collar fighter, nothing flashy about him, he just comes at you
He just threw out a challenge. He owns the 125 and 135 belts, now he wants the 145. I dont think that has ever been done, three belts at one time.
TxRainMkr
Cowboy was losing the fight, but Tony got away with an illegal punch.
Assassin
Cerrone always has the punchers chance.
Assassin
Tonight

MAIN CARD
UNDERCARD
UBBY

I'm curious as to your opinion on something.
First of all let me state that I don't know much about fighting and am no aficionado.
I have seen Michael Jai White and others talk about how Bruce Lee is just an actor who doesn't know how to fight. What is your opinion on that subject?

I have provided the video above (please also listen to the audio when you watch it) of the only sparring match Bruce Lee was ever video recorded in. This was analyzed by a fan of the UFC.

There are also other videos available where I've seen Bas Rutten (who is a huge Bruce Lee fan and the reason he got into martial arts) talk about certain self defense techniques that Bruce touted would allow you to escape a choke hold or if you were grabbed from behind. Things like jabbing or swiping the eyes or stomping on their foot. Bas says these would not work, especially against an experienced fighter.

Also, how legit do you feel Michael Jai White is as a fighter or martial artist? Joe Rogan says he is legit.
Assassin
UBBY said:

I'm curious as to your opinion on something.
First of all let me state that I don't know much about fighting and am no aficionado.
I have seen Michael Jai White and others talk about how Bruce Lee is just an actor who doesn't know how to fight. What is your opinion on that subject?

I have provided the video above (please also listen to the audio when you watch it) of the only sparring match Bruce Lee was ever video recorded in. This was analyzed by a fan of the UFC.

There are also other videos available where I've seen Bas Rutten (who is a huge Bruce Lee fan and the reason he got into martial arts) talk about certain self defense techniques that Bruce touted would allow you to escape a choke hold or if you were grabbed from behind. Things like jabbing or swiping the eyes or stomping on their foot. Bas says these would not work, especially against an experienced fighter.

Also, how legit do you feel Michael Jai White is as a fighter or martial artist? Joe Rogan says he is legit.
Couldnt tell you about Lee as he did very little competition . Jao White has several black belts, he also did little full contact competition - but I can tell you he lost most of the sparring I saw he and Jean Claude van Damme did when we were shooting Universal Soldier. JC was 48-4 amateur and 18-1 pro. However Jai White is probably 4" taller and 40 lbs heavier. Since they were sparring and not trying to kill each other, I would probably bet on Jai White in that match

what you see on screen usually has nothing to do with real life.
UBBY
Right, but I was more wondering what your opinion on the above video was? It looks to me like a fair assessment of Bruce's skills given it was 1967 and a sparring match, not a real fight. There were things he did that would not work today like trying to just wait and intercept you with straight power everytime he punched. Or him crossing his feet when he would move laterally. Other tactics are what I still see today like playing mind games with his opponent during the fight, or using the side kick to check his opponent. Also his speed was very apparent, still as fast or faster in some of his movements than I even see today but I don't know how effective those movements would be or if he would lose a lot of power upon impact.
He was very balanced and very much in control of his body. You could tell he had done a lot of practice in his spare time and sparred before this video. Chuck Norris said he was an almost tireless worker, almost obsessed with working out or improving his skillset. In his movie with Chuck he did side kicks to the leg which UFC fighters didn't incorporate until much later on. Of course we'll never know how good he would be in a real fight or in a real competition.
He obviously would get destroyed with what we know today about wrestling, submissions and jiu jitsu. Even though many people don't know he was starting to incorporate some of the basics of jiu jitsu into his philosophy on fighting.
UBBY
Man, I have so many more questions. How important do you feel those first two fights between Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock were? I'll admit I was a big Ken Shamrock fan and was stunned when he got beaten so easily by Royce the first time. I was really tired of all the euphoric praise put on the Gracies and with their documentary it just felt at that time they were just unbeatable fighters. Then the second fight happened and there were conflicting views on how the fight went. Some people criticized Shamrock for not being more offensive in his gameplan and praised Royce for being offensive while he was on his back. Others praised Shamrock for taking Royce down and him being very patient and wearing Royce down over the course of the fight and being the first one to show there was at least a ***** in the Gracie armor.
The fight ended and then came the Gracies manipulating and asking for more time so that Royce could be named the victor. Then Ken popped him in the eye and took him down again. Ken thought they said 3 more minutes (I think they gave 5 more minutes if I'm not mistaken) but Ken gets up and puts up 3 fingers when the fight was over. Then Royce was wobbly getting out of the ring.
Who do you think won the second fight or should it have been called a draw?
Assassin
UBBY said:

Man, I have so many more questions. How important do you feel those first two fights between Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock were? I'll admit I was a big Ken Shamrock fan and was stunned when he got beaten so easily by Royce the first time. I was really tired of all the euphoric praise put on the Gracies and with their documentary it just felt at that time they were just unbeatable fighters. Then the second fight happened and there were conflicting views on how the fight went. Some people criticized Shamrock for not being more offensive in his gameplan and praised Royce for being offensive while he was on his back. Others praised Shamrock for taking Royce down and him being very patient and wearing Royce down over the course of the fight and being the first one to show there was at least a ***** in the Gracie armor.
The fight ended and then came the Gracies manipulating and asking for more time so that Royce could be named the victor. Then Ken popped him in the eye and took him down again. Ken thought they said 3 more minutes (I think they gave 5 more minutes if I'm not mistaken) but Ken gets up and puts up 3 fingers when the fight was over. Then Royce was wobbly getting out of the ring.
Who do you think won the second fight or should it have been called a draw?
Big fan of the Gracies. My BJJ instructor was Carlos Machado, a cousin who grew up with Royce and all the rest of them. Got his BB from Carlos Gracie Jr, the son of the 'founder' of Brazilian BJJ. Jr really developed the Gracie style. Master Machado stayed with Jr when he was getting his law degree.

A red-black belt that speaks four languages perfectly, with a law degree. To Mr Machado he is an impressive person is an understatement.

I went to BJJ classes with Royce so I am going to prejudiced. Love Shamrock as a fighter, not so much out of the ring.

The early days of the UFC are what turned me onto BJJ. I sucked at karate even though I kept after it. I'm extremely right dominated. My right jab or uppercut will destroy you, but my left couldn't break a glass figurine on the 'you break it, you buy it shelf'

to answer your question, I think Royce won, but more importantly, it demonstrated that the fight game was more than standup striking.
Assassin
UBBY said:

Right, but I was more wondering what your opinion on the above video was? It looks to me like a fair assessment of Bruce's skills given it was 1967 and a sparring match, not a real fight. There were things he did that would not work today like trying to just wait and intercept you with straight power everytime he punched. Or him crossing his feet when he would move laterally. Other tactics are what I still see today like playing mind games with his opponent during the fight, or using the side kick to check his opponent. Also his speed was very apparent, still as fast or faster in some of his movements than I even see today but I don't know how effective those movements would be or if he would lose a lot of power upon impact.
He was very balanced and very much in control of his body. You could tell he had done a lot of practice in his spare time and sparred before this video. Chuck Norris said he was an almost tireless worker, almost obsessed with working out or improving his skillset. In his movie with Chuck he did side kicks to the leg which UFC fighters didn't incorporate until much later on. Of course we'll never know how good he would be in a real fight or in a real competition.
He obviously would get destroyed with what we know today about wrestling, submissions and jiu jitsu. Even though many people don't know he was starting to incorporate some of the basics of jiu jitsu into his philosophy on fighting.
I dont think there is enough info on Lee to know for sure. We know he was one of the fastest strikers in human history. How powerful that punch was is debatable although we do know his short punches were incredible.
UBBY
Holy crap. You went to BJJ classes with Royce. What time period was this? I can only imagine how good he was. Did you ever spar against him or see him spar against anyone else?

I figured you would be more of a Gracie guy. Most of the fighter "purists" are, I just had no idea you had any connection with them. I was a Shamrock fan partly because of him being American and also partly because he was in the WWF, which I used to watch all the time in the 1990's.

What are your thoughts on Sakuraba? Its impressive to beat one of the Gracies but to do it 3 times is insane. Thoughts on Eddie Bravo beating a Gracie in BJJ? That's arguably even more impressive.
Assassin
UBBY said:

Holy crap. You went to BJJ classes with Royce. What time period was this? I can only imagine how good he was. Did you ever spar against him or see him spar against anyone else?

I figured you would be more of a Gracie guy. Most of the fighter "purists" are, I just had no idea you had any connection with them. I was a Shamrock fan partly because of him being American and also partly because he was in the WWF, which I used to watch all the time in the 1990's.

What are your thoughts on Sakuraba? Its impressive to beat one of the Gracies but to do it 3 times is insane. Thoughts on Eddie Bravo beating a Gracie in BJJ? That's arguably even more impressive.
No, I was a lowly 2 stripe white belt at the time. Just classes he taught at his cousin's (Carlos Machado) dojo in Dallas. No sparring, but teaching.

Too many Gracies for some of them not get beaten. Too give you an idea, at the time of his death in 1994, Carlos Gracie Sr had twenty-one children, one hundred and six grandchildren, and one hundred and twenty-eight great-grandchildren.
UBBY
Ah nice. Yeah that's an insanely large family. I can't think of a family currently that has such a legacy. Of course we just saw another excellent Gracie fighter a few weeks ago in Neiman. He just lost too a more experienced fighter.

I do have another question about the Gracie-Shamrock fight. Why and how was Royce so tired after the fight? It didn't seem like Ken did very much from an offensive standpoint except just lay on Royce but Royce looked really tired after the fight.
Assassin
UBBY said:

Ah nice. Yeah that's an insanely large family. I can't think of a family currently that has such a legacy. Of course we just saw another excellent Gracie fighter a few weeks ago in Neiman. He just lost too a more experienced fighter.

I do have another question about the Gracie-Shamrock fight. Why and how was Royce so tired after the fight? It didn't seem like Ken did very much from an offensive standpoint except just lay on Royce but Royce looked really tired after the fight.
Fighting off your back takes more out of you. Most folks can't do it at all. And you are carrying Shamrock's 204 lbs on top of you
Assassin
If you want to hear about a BJJ badass though, take a look at Rigan Machado, Carlos M's brother. I took classes from him also:

Machado is one of five brothers of the Machado family. He began training at the age of five with his cousins, "The Gracie Family". In an interview, when asked about his exact relationship with the Gracies, he said: "My mother's sister married the founder of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Carlos Gracie." Like all children he took it more as a game than as something he wanted to do for the rest of his life. He started to take training and competing more seriously at the age of 14. This is the time where he would start to train every day on the mat.

From the age of 14 through 21, he won the Brazilian National Championships every year and every belt division. He amassed a record of 365 wins and 0 losses in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competition. He also created a record by having 19 matches in one day and finishing all of them by submission. He remains unbeaten in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in more than 13 years of competition. His training sessions were all very technical and intensive under the eye of his two instructors Rolls Gracie and Carlos Gracie Jr.
Assassin
Rigan runs a BJJ studio in LA. He and the Machado brothers train a ton of celebs, just finished Keanu Reeves for work in John Wick 3.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.