Kari Lake Loses

12,015 Views | 322 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Osodecentx
Wangchung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

He Hate Me said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Oh right, I almost forgot, there were guns in another state so it was REALLY close to total anarchy all across the country.
Another not-so-strong comparison, at least from your point of view. Far from causing anarchy, Napoleon was initially welcomed by a people who craved stability and strong leadership. You'd have liked him.
He was also into invasions and war, so there is something for the neocons as well!
Trumpkins are adamantly opposed to war and invasion when Democrats are in control. They're also adamantly opposed to withdrawal and negotiation when Democrats are in control, so there's that.
Close; we like withdrawal and negotiations but we don't like dumbass withdrawals that aid the enemy and dumbass negotiations that hand over intel on our citizens and allies to our enemies. Trump plans to mow your lawn but before he can he is fired and Joe is hired. Joe shows up, does a few donuts on your lawn with his camry and then sets the grass on fire. Yet you still want to blame Trump for the bad lawn mowing simply because Trump had planned on mowing.
I'm not blaming Trump for anything. I suspect the operation would have been even hastier and less organized with him in charge, but that's no excuse for Biden.
The only problem most had with withdrawing from Afghanistan was the way it was carried out, not who was in control. To suggest otherwise is pure politics. To suggest Trump would have done worse is also pure politics and based on nothing but your own bias.
Actually it's based on the fact that he ordered a rush withdrawal before Biden's inauguration, and his generals basically ignored the order because it was so dangerous and impractical. I get being foggy on the French Revolution, but this was last year.
But it all of sudden became a reasonable plan that they implemented once Biden became President? Or did Biden come up with his own plan and that is what was executed? Or did the Generals execute Trump's bad plan to sabotage Biden?
Biden's plan was almost as bad, though I've never heard a Dem admit it. Would Trump's plan have been reasonable in MAGA world regardless of the results? Absolutely. It's all about who's in control.
Would Trump's success have been reasonable in Sam Lowry's world? Absolutely not. It's all about who is in control.
I've always given him credit for his successes. Likely this would not have been one of them.
Insert The Dude telling you that that's just your opinion here. Man.
Just me and more or less everyone in military leadership. Man.
Yes yes, "all scientists agree with me on climate change" "all doctors agree with me on trans procedures on children." "All military agrees the laptop is Russian disinformation." Believe me, the ol " all people of authority on this topic agree with my opinion!" is not new, my friend.
The fact they agree with me doesn't mean I'm right. It means it's not just my opinion.
Or... it means you need a better argument, wait, no, it means you need an ACTUAL argument.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Wangchung
"Believe me, Trump would have messed up the Afghanistan withdrawal. You can trust me cuz military people agree with me."
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Sam Lowry
Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Since 2000, has a Republican won a close race where there was irregularities in large, Democrat-controlled counties?
Did Republicans typically win a lot of Democratic counties before 2000?
I did not ask if they won Democrat counties, I asked if a Republican has won a race where there were irregularities and delays in Democrat counties.
And I'm asking why you would expect them to.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Oh right, I almost forgot, there were guns in another state so it was REALLY close to total anarchy all across the country.
Another not-so-strong comparison, at least from your point of view. Far from causing anarchy, Napoleon was initially welcomed by a people who craved stability and strong leadership. You'd have liked him.
He was also into invasions and war, so there is something for the neocons as well!
Trumpkins are adamantly opposed to war and invasion when Democrats are in control. They're also adamantly opposed to withdrawal and negotiation when Democrats are in control, so there's that.
The only withdrawal I've seen Republicans oppose since January 2021 is Biden's ridiculous withdrawal in Afghanistan. And that was not because they wanted to keep troops there, but instead because of the horrid way in which the withdrawal was handled, which even the Biden admin acknowledged was a ****ing disaster that needlessly got people killed.

What other withdrawals and negotiations have Republicans been opposed to the last 2 years?
I can't think of any others to have supported or opposed in the last two years.
Nor can I, which is why your comment was a little baffling with respect to "Trumpkins." Seems they have been pretty consistent on this point, and even opposed lending military support to Ukraine.

If anything, the Biden admin has ramped up the war machine. I've seen no criticism of him for withdrawing troops or negotiating with our enemies.
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

He Hate Me said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Close; we like withdrawal and negotiations but we don't like dumbass withdrawals that aid the enemy and dumbass negotiations that hand over intel on our citizens and allies to our enemies. Trump plans to mow your lawn but before he can he is fired and Joe is hired. Joe shows up, does a few donuts on your lawn with his camry and then sets the grass on fire. Yet you still want to blame Trump for the bad lawn mowing simply because Trump had planned on mowing.
I'm not blaming Trump for anything. I suspect the operation would have been even hastier and less organized with him in charge, but that's no excuse for Biden.
The only problem most had with withdrawing from Afghanistan was the way it was carried out, not who was in control. To suggest otherwise is pure politics. To suggest Trump would have done worse is also pure politics and based on nothing but your own bias.
Actually it's based on the fact that he ordered a rush withdrawal before Biden's inauguration, and his generals basically ignored the order because it was so dangerous and impractical. I get being foggy on the French Revolution, but this was last year.
But it all of sudden became a reasonable plan that they implemented once Biden became President? Or did Biden come up with his own plan and that is what was executed? Or did the Generals execute Trump's bad plan to sabotage Biden?
Biden's plan was almost as bad, though I've never heard a Dem admit it. Would Trump's plan have been reasonable in MAGA world regardless of the results? Absolutely. It's all about who's in control.
Would Trump's success have been reasonable in Sam Lowry's world? Absolutely not. It's all about who is in control.
I've always given him credit for his successes. Likely this would not have been one of them.
Yes yes, "all scientists agree with me on climate change" "all doctors agree with me on trans procedures on children." "All military agrees the laptop is Russian disinformation." Believe me, the ol " all people of authority on this topic agree with my opinion!" is not new, my friend.
The fact they agree with me doesn't mean I'm right. It means it's not just my opinion.
Or... it means you need a better argument, wait, no, it means you need an ACTUAL argument.
Appeal to relevant authority is an actual argument. Appeal to ignorance is not.
Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Since 2000, has a Republican won a close race where there was irregularities in large, Democrat-controlled counties?
Did Republicans typically win a lot of Democratic counties before 2000?
I did not ask if they won Democrat counties, I asked if a Republican has won a race where there were irregularities and delays in Democrat counties.
And I'm asking why you would expect them to.
I would not.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

The only withdrawal I've seen Republicans oppose since January 2021 is Biden's ridiculous withdrawal in Afghanistan. And that was not because they wanted to keep troops there, but instead because of the horrid way in which the withdrawal was handled, which even the Biden admin acknowledged was a ****ing disaster that needlessly got people killed.

What other withdrawals and negotiations have Republicans been opposed to the last 2 years?
Nor can I, which is why your comment was a little baffling with respect to "Trumpkins." Seems they have been pretty consistent on this point, and even opposed lending military support to Ukraine.
Of course many of them opposed it. It's a Biden policy.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

So you believe the opposed Ukraine because it's a Biden policy? Is it possible they opposed it for the same reasons you and I did, or are they too stupid, in your book?
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

So you believe the opposed Ukraine because it's a Biden policy? Is it possible they opposed it for the same reasons you and I did, or are they too stupid, in your book?
I think there's always been tension between Trump's putative isolationism and the reflexive belligerence of his supporters. Our military enterprises look bad in hindsight, not because they were illegal or inherently ill advised, but because they failed.
Sam Lowry
"Enervating" probably isn't the word you want to describe Trump...but it's definitely the one you need.
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

He Hate Me said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

An appeal to actual authority, sure, but your appeal to the intentionally esoteric "military leaders" leaves out a lot of context. As the "50 top military and intelligence officials say Biden laptop is Russian disinformation!" proved, it matters who that call to authority actually is in reference to.
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

He Hate Me said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

An appeal to actual authority, sure, but your appeal to the intentionally esoteric "military leaders" leaves out a lot of context. As the "50 top military and intelligence officials say Biden laptop is Russian disinformation!" proved, it matters who that call to authority actually is in reference to.
They said it had the hallmarks, which it conspicuously does.
Waco1947
He Hate Me said:

Redbrickbear said:

Time to get back to things as usually boys!!!!

What Democrats is he willing to give up in return?
Do you have suggestions?
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

I think there's always been tension between Trump's putative isolationism and the reflexive belligerence of his supporters. Our military enterprises look bad in hindsight, not because they were illegal or inherently ill advised, but because they failed.
They failed because the objectives were always absolute long-term victory, which was impossible to create. It is up to the Nation to protect its freedom, there is only so much a third party can do using a free/democratic system.

Iraq and Afghanistan military occupations both produced Democratic Governments that improved their citizens lives while they survived. They fell apart when the US left. Is that the US fault? Was the attempt wrong? I am sure many here will say yes. But we did what we said we would do and placed those Nations in a position to be free democracies. What happened after we left, there is only so much we can control So, I have little problem with what we tried to accomplish.
Waco1947
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

They failed because the objectives were always absolute long-term victory, which was impossible to create. It is up to the Nation to protect its freedom, there is only so much a third party can do using a free/democratic system.

Iraq and Afghanistan military occupations both produced Democratic Governments that improved their citizens lives while they survived. They fell apart when the US left. Is that the US fault? Was the attempt wrong? I am sure many here will say yes. But we did what we said we would do and placed those Nations in a position to be free democracies. What happened after we left, there is only so much we can control So, I have little problem with what we tried to accomplish.
US Policy was always a little arrogant in Iraq and Afghanistan. "We know best."
Harrison Bergeron
Waco1947 said:

He Hate Me said:

Redbrickbear said:

Time to get back to things as usually boys!!!!

What Democrats is he willing to give up in return?
Do you have suggestions?
The radical extremists ... which would probably be 100 Congressmen and Senators.
Harrison Bergeron
Waco1947 said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sounds like the Democrat platform.
FLBear5630
Waco1947 said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Well, compared to the Taliban and Shira law, it was not a bad attempt. Sorry, I will err on the side of people being able to live and better their lives and have opportunities than not. If that is arrogant, so be it. I also realize it is not always successful. I am simplistic, to me there is value in the effort...
muddybrazos
RMF5630 said:

Waco1947 said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Well, compared to the Taliban and Shira law, it was not a bad attempt. Sorry, I will err on the side of people being able to live and better their lives and have opportunities than not. If that is arrogant, so be it. I also realize it is not always successful. I am simplistic, to me there is value in the effort...
I bet the Afghans prefer Sharia law to LGBTQ and BLM. Modern day America has nothing to offer the world but degeneracy.
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

muddybrazos said:

Lake should mobilize and attack the AZ capitol to prevent the canvassing of the votes.
Or she could send an unarmed elderly tourist group to take pictures and the media will report it as an attack anyway...
43 y/o elderly guy

Man Who Dragged Officer Into Jan. 6 Mob Is Sentenced to 90 Months
A Tennessee man was sentenced on Thursday to seven and a half years in prison for dragging a police officer protecting the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, into an angry pro-Trump crowd that brutally assaulted the officer.
The man, Albuquerque Cosper Head, pleaded guilty in March to assaulting the officer, Michael Fanone, who has emerged as an outspoken advocate for the officers who were subjected to the mob violence on Jan. 6. The sentence was one of the most severe penalties handed down so far in the Justice Department's investigation of the Capitol attack.
As part of his plea, Mr. Head, a 43-year-old construction worker, admitted that during the violence outside the Capitol, he grabbed Mr. Fanone around the neck and told the crowd around him, "I got one!" Mr. Head then forcibly hauled Mr. Fanone down the Capitol steps and into the mob, where he was beaten, kicked and attacked with a stun gun.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/27/us/politics/jan-6-sentencing.html
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

muddybrazos said:

Lake should mobilize and attack the AZ capitol to prevent the canvassing of the votes.
Or she could send an unarmed elderly tourist group to take pictures and the media will report it as an attack anyway...
43 y/o elderly guy

A Tennessee man was sentenced on Thursday to seven and a half years in prison for dragging a police officer protecting the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, into an angry pro-Trump crowd that brutally assaulted the officer.
The man, Albuquerque Cosper Head, pleaded guilty in March to assaulting the officer, Michael Fanone, who has emerged as an outspoken advocate for the officers who were subjected to the mob violence on Jan. 6. The sentence was one of the most severe penalties handed down so far in the Justice Department's investigation of the Capitol attack.
As part of his plea, Mr. Head, a 43-year-old construction worker, admitted that during the violence outside the Capitol, he grabbed Mr. Fanone around the neck and told the crowd around him, "I got one!" Mr. Head then forcibly hauled Mr. Fanone down the Capitol steps and into the mob, where he was beaten, kicked and attacked with a stun gun.

But the velvet ropes were undamaged.
FLBear5630
muddybrazos said:

RMF5630 said:

Waco1947 said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

I bet the Afghans prefer Sharia law to LGBTQ and BLM. Modern day America has nothing to offer the world but degeneracy.
The beauty of freedom, it is what you do with it. Degeneracy is a choice. There are many in the US that choose not to go down that road, but it is their choice.

I am sure there are a lot of very happy Afghan women today. Maybe you should have your daughter mover there see how great Shira law under the Taliban. You could protect her from the horrors of living in the US. Sounds like you are on to something, maybe I will invest in property in Afghanistan, Christians fleeing the horror of the US will be flocking there...
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

muddybrazos said:

43 y/o elderly guy

Lemming Trumpers forgot to destroy them?
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

muddybrazos said:

43 y/o elderly guy

Lemming Trumpers forgot to destroy them?
Or did they…?!

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/116608
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
<iframe src="https://www.mediamatters.org/media/3996891/embed/embed" class="" height="360" width="480" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

McCain wing of the AZ Republicans win another one for the Democrats. They will keep doing it (crossing over to vote D). until they can wrest control of the party back from the (much larger) conservative wing of the party.

Perhaps Kari Lake arguing for a bigger tent, as opposed to parroting Trump's conspiracy theories, would have helped her gain the slim margin she needed to win in AZ. But not only did she bend knee to Trump, she also alienated McCain voters with her comments about him.

I don't disagree with you about McCain or his supporters, but she (and Trump) must share a lot of the blame for this one.

"success has many fathers and failure is an orphan."

Plenty of blame to go around but in fairness we cannot absolve the Oso/Cheney faction for actively assisting the enemy. Incompetence is one thing, but purposely assisting the enemy while we are in a struggle with them has to be called out for what it is.

That's a silver lining for Desantis. The new guy can side step all the old trenches and wads of razor wire from past conflicts within the party. Old station but new tracks and new train…..
I'm Independent, not a faction of the Republican Party. I am disappointed in Cheney's support of Democrats; I wish she wouldn't. I take ownership.

I'm waiting for you to take ownership of a disastrous slate of candidates, your number was 55; you'll be lucky to hold what you have. Instead, you double down on your Dear Leader. You're posting like a Republican precinct chairman in Bum****.

Highest inflation in 40 years
Worst border crisis in history
Most unpopular president since Truman (Biden approval around 40%)
75% of voters say country is going in the wrong direction
Worst crime wave since the 90s

Yet voters looked at the Trump recruited candidates and said "no". Why?
Well, you did send Cheney money, and she did use it to help defeat some of those candidates you didn't like, so don't try to hide behind platitudes of disappointment.

Our candidates weren't the problem. They were outspent by as much as 10-1, in no small part because our Senate Leader signaled to the donor class that there was a problem with candidate quality. Far greater critique could be made of Democrat candidates: Pale reflections like Murray, Hobbs, Hassan; wild eyed ideologues like Barnes and Warnock; and on what candidate could Fetterman be considered (by Republicans) a superior candidate to a well-spoken world-famous doctor like Oz? ALL of those equally (or more) flawed candidates were beatable had we had proper and well-funded campaign plans.

Excerpt from excellent article at link:
"The anti-right narrative is a remarkable thing: when a candidate Trump supported lost, like Oz in PA, it was Trump's fault; when a candidate Trump opposed lost, like Joe O'Dea in CO, it was Trump's fault. When a candidate Trump supported won, like Vance in OH, pundits discounted the victory; when a candidate Trump opposed won, like Kemp in GA, the same pundits found it enormously significant. DeSantis's nearly 20-point margin of victory in FL, a big win for the right, was mostly hyped as a defeat for Trump, even though FL is Trump's home base."
https://spectatorworld.com/topic/this-election-was-no-loss-for-trump/

To that last observation about DeSantis, we must note uncontestable facts: DeSantis was a founding member of the "Freedom Caucus" in the House. you know, the place where the MTG-types plot & plan how to move the GOP caucus rightward. Further, Desantis literally owes his first election victory to Trump, whose endorsement elevated him out of a crowded primary field. So Trump's endorsements are hardly a badge of dishonor. And we cannot ignore that DeSantis is not anti-MAGA. He's proto-Maga. Not a rejection of the original, but a new, improved version of it. Finally a word about last Tuesday that is material but thus far overlooked: I'm as excited as anyone about the DeSantis victory. But what was the quality of the candidate he faced? A grey'd out shape-shifter who is now 3 wins, 5 losses in statewide races run on the ticket of both parties - neither liberal enough to enervate Dems,nor conservative enough to enervate conservatives. How many "notional points" did he add to DeSantis's win total? (answer: probably more than the notional "-2.something points" sombear's WDC connections indicated applied to GOP senate candidates.) So yes, Desantis's victory was impressive and cannot be said he beat up on a teddy bear. But neither was it a clash of titans....

Here's the cold hard reality:
There were wins and losses last Tuesday.
Establishment Republicans made no progress in moving the GOP leftward.
The realignment of the GOP as a multi-racial working class party continues.
It cannot be stopped.
Ball is in your court.

I am confused with one thing, you seem convinced anyone that believes that MAGA is bad for the future of the GOP is trying to move the Party left? I don't get that.
  • Trying to open the party to be more inclusive,
  • Trying to have the party by less dark,
  • Trying to get away from fear politics,
  • Trying to get back to a Reagan-esque view of the world?
All guilty as charged, but further left? No. Policies are fine (Granted, there are always tweaks including whether to work more within the system or blow it up. ), it is the way that the MAGA group operates that is the problem.

GOP has some nice winners, Trump attacks them and tries to discredit them. That summarized the problem to me. There is no Team GOP, either you are Trump or you will be attacked and discredited. That is not the conservative Party I signed up for.
Trump is a survivor. Do not miscalculate that he will just fade away. He will be a very, very tough out.
You make a lot of well-thought out decent points, but I really don't get your reasoning here, and your track record on predictions is pretty abysmal.

Trump lost the 2020 election handily to a geriatric patient with no good ideas. The candidates he really threw his weight behind performed poorly in 2022. Yes, I know you would like to blame that all on funding, but it's interesting that "funding" hurt Trump's sycophants much worse than it hurt non-sycophants. In fact, despite your now stated excuse of lack of funding being the reason Trump's candidates were defeated, you told us just a couple of weeks ago there would be a red wave, and that someone like Kari Lake could replace DeSantis as the GOP wunderkind and be a potential VP. Now we know how that turned out. No wave, and Lake got beaten by a frumpy Democrat who was too scared to debate her. Yet again another bad prediction. In fact, as of late, I am having difficulty remembering the last time one of your predictions has proven right.

Tell us, why should we believe your prediction that Trump will be a tough out, and should get the party nod over other candidates given your less than stellar track record at predicting these things? He lost in 2020, and that was before the election denying nonsense and myriad of legal issues. All of the polls show he is much less popular now than he was then. Hell, his own children apparently don't even want him to run. What makes you think a guy his age, with his track record, and inability to control his worse impulses, who is a loser in the last election, is all the sudden going to find his mojo again at the ripe old age of 76? And if he does get the nod and runs again and loses handily, what is your excuse going to be next time after you inaccurately predict another win for Trump?

There is no denying Trump did some good things, and helped the Republican Party's demographic problem. I think his populist bent is something the party can build on to form a bigger tent, and generally agree with your opinion of the establishment Republicans and neocons (they're terrible). But Trump hasn't won anything since 2016. He caught lightning in a bottle running against a terrible candidate. We would have to completely ignore his track record since then to buy what you're selling.
Did anyone other than Canada get it right on predictions for this election? I got sucked into thinking momentum would win it in AZ and that NH was in play, based on polling, and missed it like everyone else in PA and NV. Walker still should win GA. State and national GOP has plenty to get it done. But can they? Walker is hardly a more flawed candidate than Warnock, and GA is still not a blue state.

The candidates Trump endorsed had a very good performance on 2022, just not in a handful of key races. And yes, funding is a pretty big issue. Getting outspent by up to 10-1 by an incumbent has infinitesimally small win record. (that Specator article I've posted elsewhere, in whole & in part, is instructive on this point. It takes quite a bit of framing bias to lay 2022 at Trump's feet.)

Trump will be a tough out in the primary because he has last I recall $200m in the bank and a 75m vote head start. He also has a critical advantage in a crowded primary field - a large, fervent, unshakeable base of support, He's going to start off at ca. 30% support in every race. He only needs to pick up a few percentage points to guarantee a top-2 finish. He has a record of accomplishment in office that will be appealing given likely future socio-economic conditions. Populism is hardly a spent force and he excels at appealing to it. Finally, he will be campaigning all day every day from here. The best of his competition face governance responsibilities that will for sure give opportunity for earned media, but will also place significant limits on travel & time. The lower tier candidates will be left to toil away on the rubber chicken circuit raising little or no money, hoping to catch fire with a grassroots already in love with another candidate.

Now, all that said, we are a year before it's time to make early predictions. But to look at the field at the moment and write an epitaph for Trump is wishful thinking. I think an estimate that, as of today, RDS has 50-50 odds of winning the nomination is pretty sober.
I was talking about the general election, not the nomination. I agree with you Trump will be a tough out in the primaries. He has enough delusional people who believe he can somehow win an election again as a less popular and more unhinged candidate than he was in 2020. My question was regarding the general election. What makes you think he's the best candidate to run against the Dem in 2024? What makes you think a guy who has lost since 2016 is going to somehow turn it around now, if that is indeed what you still believe?
Well, lost in 2018 is hardly dispositive, as all but two Presidents have lost at least one congressional majority in their mid-term elections. And lost in 2022 is not really what happened. We did recapture the house. "Disappointed" is a better word choice. And Trump was not on the ballot, and did not get out and campaign like a house afire like he did in 2018. Neither was he in charge of the House or Senate campaign committees. So it's not exactly good epistemology to lay 100% of the disappointment at his feet.

But to get to your key question in bold: the biggest reason is 75m votes in the 2020 election, without a single one of them resulting from ballot harvesting. a massive improvement over his 2016 totals. Politics is coalition building. A guy who has 75m people who've voted for him has a pretty big head start on a guy who's never run for national office before. He has shown that he can take a coalition and build it. Who else has?

So my thinking here is, at risk of oversimplification, bird-in-hand vs 2-in-bush. We have a multi-racial working class party built by Trump. Much of the partisan base and the independent components are personally loyal to Trump and will not easily translate. (see Dr. Oz in PA). That coalition is growing (did grow this cycle, too). Assuming Trump can hold on to 75m (which he largely will) how do we pickup another 5-10m votes? Answer is, we are going to have to get into blue and purple states and build a better ballot harvesting program than the Dems have. I don't like that. It's not the kind of Republic I'd prefer to have, but it IS the one we have at the moment, so if we want to change it, we're going to have to win with the rules in place at the moment.

Who else could step into those shoes? The list is pretty short.
Can someone else build a NEW coalition? Sure, but what does that look like?
Lots of uncertainty with the alternatives.
Not saying it can't work. But show me what that looks like without getting into the gobbledygook about independents. They rarely decide elections, if for no other reason than they rarely turn out in very big numbers. If that superMajority of independents who SAID they liked the GOP had turned out in 2022, we'd have a 56-58 seat majority in the Senate. But they didn't.

I want to know more about how DeSantis built his coalition in FL.
I want to know more about the nationwide coalition DeSantis wants to build, and how he plans to do it.
I want to know if he's already got a ballot harvesting operation in situ, or incogito.
I like Ron Desantis.

The way I see it, the wizards of smart and the fundraising class has already made the psychological jump to Desantis. The grassroots base has not. That's why I mentioned earlier (somewhere on one of these threads) that we already have a latent "establishment vs base" conflict shaping up. Not really a schism yet, but high stress on the oldest fault-line of all in a political party. Somebody has to step in and bind those two sides back together. Who will it be?

I can tell you, just as a simple matter of physics and political history, the best way to address that issue would be a Trump/DeSantis ticket. Each side gets something it wants.

That's not pie in the sky stuff. It's pure political pragmatism.
Mothra
So, your optimism that Trump can win in 2024 is mostly based on the Republicans engaging in ballot harvesting.

Man, the Repubs are going to get their asses kicked.

But I will give you this, when Trump gets his ass kicked in the general election in 2 years, it will provide you a built in excuse for blaming everyone but Trump for the loss. This election cycle it was lack of money spent on Trump candidates. Next election it will be Trump lost because the Repubs didn't do enough ballot harvesting. In other words, it will have nothing to do with Trump, as usual.

You sound a lot like Trump.
J.R.
Mothra said:

So, your optimism that Trump can win in 2024 is mostly based on the Republicans engaging in ballot harvesting.

But I will give you this, when Trump gets his ass kicked in the general election in 2 years, it will provide you a built in excuse for blaming everyone but Trump for the loss. This election cycle it was lack of money spent on Trump candidates. Next election it will be Trump lost because the Repubs didn't do enough ballot harvesting. In other words, it will have nothing to do with Trump, as usual.

You and I a starting to agree on way too many things! lol
FLBear5630
J.R. said:

Mothra said:

You and I a starting to agree on way too many things! lol
Scary isn't it?
Osodecentx
Blah blah blah
Everyone's fault but Trump
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

Blah blah blah
My take is quite a bit more balanced than yours
whiterock
Mothra said:

Your plan sounds lot like all we have to do is recruit Jesus and we'll win every time. Ballot harvesting and small donor fundraising has got to improve or it will not matter who is the candidate. The Democrats field some awfully weak candidates, from the top of the ticket on down, and somehow manage to get them elected. Certainly didn't hurt the Dems that their winners were all incumbents. I mean, wow. Extreme isn't it. Incumbents won. Incumbents with massive cash advantages and ballot harvesting operations unmatched by the challengers.

The unwillingness to blame anyone BUT Trump is the bigger problem. Bolduc was outspent 17-1 in a very small state where that $12m McConnell spent in AK could have made a big difference. Bolduc was hardly a kook, unless we think the Army is in the habit of promoting kooks to the rank of General. What about Maggie Hassan screams "great candidate?" How often does a candidate outspent 17-1 win? Against an incumbent?? Masters lost by a 4.9 point margin. He was outspent 3-1. What would an evenly funded race have looked like? We heard some notional "weak GOP candidates cost us 2-point-something percentage points....." messaging last week. Well, what does the complete lack of a ballot-harvesting operation cost us? Ya think a 2 year operation spending $100m in AZ to find, register, target, and collect ballots from sympathetic voters isn't worth a point or four or five?

You cannot possibly seriously think that none of that matters and that slotting the forehead of DJT would magically fix it all. Sure, that's a great position to take in a primary campaign to elect someone else, but it is completely unserious to assert it is the responsibility of a former POTUS engaged in a race to win back the WH to go raise a couple hundred million to support OTHER candidates. I mean, what the hell do we have a party for?

The funniest thing, though, is you have a fairly large faulty premise in your assessment regarding my position on the 2024 primary. Let's see if you can spot it.

Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Blah blah blah
Your take is it is everyone's fault but Trump.
4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Blah blah blah
blah blah is a bad canidate and thats Trumps fault.. is your take

Blah blah being a bad canidate is not Trumps fault. Its the Dems who switched parties in the primaries and voted the Trump canidates in and then switched back for the gen election. You know this.. its the lack of national GOP help. Its the poor messaging of the canidate themselves. You think these canidates would have won if they had no Trump endorsement?

As others have said, its not all on Trump..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
HuMcK
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Blah blah blah
blah blah is a bad canidate and thats Trumps fault.. is your take

Blah blah being a bad canidate is not Trumps fault. Its the Dems who switched parties in the primaries and voted the Trump canidates in and then switched back for the gen election. You know this.. its the lack of national GOP help. Its the poor messaging of the canidate themselves. You think these canidates would have won if they had no Trump endorsement?

As others have said, its not all on Trump..

Agreed, a lot of people didn't appreciate being called "groomers" for not being sufficiently homophobic, or the war against teachers, or the book banning, or the constant childish trolling, etc. The constant culture warring based on religion is exhausting, and turns a lot of people off.

Things like that are why lots of Independents turned away in disgust, in addition to the election denialism. With that in mind, I think some of y'all are going to be surprised at the wider national voter reaction to DeSantis if he gets the GOP nomination. Stuff like the "Stop WOKE" act might play well in Florida, but Independents just sent up a yellow warning flag that it may not be the winning message everywhere else.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.