Syria Heating Up

29,215 Views | 335 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HuMcK
HuMcK
How long do you want to ignore this user?

quash
ISIS? No big deal, sounds like Europe's problem.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
HuMcK
quash said:

I'm not generally shocked by the stupid things Trump says anymore, but that one raised my eyebrows a bit. Just another outrageous thing for his supporters to pretend he never said or meant.
quash
And, because memory is defective around here, the last time President Trump tried to withdraw from Syria on a whim his Sec. of Defense resigned.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Sam Lowry
quash said:

And, because memory is defective around here, the last time President Trump tried to withdraw from Syria on a whim his Sec. of Defense resigned.
On a whim? He's been telling his generals to prepare for a couple of years now.
corncob pipe
What's the best outcome for Israel?

That's Trump's primary concern

MIGA !!
HuMcK
quash said:

Sounds like Erdogan has similar views. Somewhere in Moscow, Putin is laughing his ass off.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I have a stupid question for anyone on either side. Have not read the entire thread and this may have already been addressed. Why is Syrian President Bashar al-Assad not lifting a finger to stop a foreign invasion in his country? Does he hate the Kurds that much that he is willing to give up Syrian territory to Turkey?
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
HuMcK
The group Turkey is going after right now is the US-aligned SDF (Syrian Democratic Forces, mostly comprised of Kurdish YPG militias, which are seperate and distinct from the Kurdish PKK that gives Turkey a lot of troubles domestically), which are explicitly opposed to Assad. A) Assad doesn't have the capability to do anything about it (although his Russian masters are moving into that area too from the south-west), and B) he is content to let Turkey wipe out his enemies in Northeast Syria for him.
Sam Lowry
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I have a stupid question for anyone on either side. Have not read the entire thread and this may have already been addressed. Why is Syrian President Bashar al-Assad not lifting a finger to stop a foreign invasion in his country? Does he hate the Kurds that much that he is willing to give up Syrian territory to Turkey?
The Kurdish militia is a front for the PKK, an anarcho-communist terrorist group seeking to overthrow the government of Turkey. Assad mostly cooperates with Turkey because Syria depends on Turkey for its water supply.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Thank you HuMcK and Sam. Man, this Middle East mess is complicated!

-- Barack Obama
YoakDaddy
Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The Kurdish militia is a front for the PKK, an anarcho-communist terrorist group seeking to overthrow the government of Turkey. Assad mostly cooperates with Turkey because Syria depends on Turkey for its water supply.

And Putin has committed to protecting the territorial integrity of Syria. Assad has to do nothing.

The big question is...will Putin force Turkey to pull back after or attack a NATO country?
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

On a whim? He's been telling his generals to prepare for a couple of years now.
Yes, he did it once without consulting them, reversed himself, and Mattis resigned over it. This time the chain of command learned through a tweet. Poor leadership.
quash
YoakDaddy said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

And Putin has committed to protecting the territorial integrity of Syria. Assad has to do nothing.

The big question is...will Putin force Turkey to pull back after or attack a NATO country?
I don't think Turkey is doing this for territory. Their goal is the PKK, but they are bombing and shelling non-PKK forces. And civilians. Our former allies.
YoakDaddy
quash said:

YoakDaddy said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I don't think Turkey is doing this for territory. Their goal is the PKK, but they are bombing and shelling non-PKK forces. And civilians. Our former allies.

He's trying to carve out that area to resettle Sunnis back to Syria.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Only Congress can declare war. If they are so concerned about the U.S. abandoning the Kurds, they should have a vote, declare war on Syria, and send thousands of Americans to Northern Syria.

If Congress feels that strongly about it, they should vote on it and do it. Kind of like impeachment. Stop talking. Take some action.

-- Barack Obama
HuMcK
Kyle
HuMcK said:

quash said:

Sounds like Erdogan has similar views. Somewhere in Moscow, Putin is laughing his ass off.

Dude, that's what Europe seeks - more Muslim refugees. Maybe Trump is an EU pawn.
HuMcK
Sam Lowry
HuMcK said:

I can't believe there's a fight going on and we're not involved.

Shameful.
HuMcK
Sam Lowry said:

HuMcK said:

I can't believe there's a fight going on that we could have easily prevented.

Shameful.

FTFY
HuMcK
riflebear
How is this even possible?

riflebear
quash
riflebear said:

One, it was done without consulting anyone. And Trump lied about that.
Two, it hurts a former ally.
Three, it strengthens Putin. But you are okay with that.
Four it increases regional instability. As our interventionist policy usually has.
corncob pipe
Looks like Erdogan is coming to the table asking for negotiations with Kurds...

Mitch Blood Green
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

He is. He's now working with the Kurds. Before the Kurds deal, he was holding on to the land he could.
cowboycwr
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Because he is fighting his civil war against dozens of other groups but Turkey fighting the Kurds weakens a major opponent of his and strengthens his chances of staying in power/winning the war.

Plus this isn't about land for Turkey. It is about taking out the Kurds so they don't launch terror attacks in Turkey.
cowboycwr
quash said:

riflebear said:

Four it increases regional instability. As our interventionist policy usually has.
One- the President does not have to consult anyone. He did not lie. That was Obama with his no boots on the ground, red line in the sand, etc. etc.

two- No it doesn't. Now you are lying.... yet again.

three- No it doesn't

four- LOL. Yeah because the area was so stable before.... we need to let them all fight and just go support the winner....AKA Israel.
quash
cowboycwr said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

One- the President does not have to consult anyone. He did not lie. That was Obama with his no boots on the ground, red line in the sand, etc. etc.

three- No it doesn't

four- LOL. Yeah because the area was so stable before.... we need to let them all fight and just go support the winner....AKA Israel.
1. Trump said "I consulted everybody." I don't care if he has to or not, but he said he did and it turns out that he didn't. That is a lie.
2. The Kurds are being hurt. The Kurds were an ally. Which of those statements is untrue?
3. Yes it does. Putin is helping his ally. That strengthens him.
4.I don't care where you start on the scale of stabililty, instability has increased. We don't have to support anybody.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

cowboycwr said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

three- No it doesn't

1. Trump said "I consulted everybody." I don't care if he has to or not, but he said he did and it turns out that he didn't. That is a lie.
2. The Kurds are being hurt. The Kurds were an ally. Which of those statements is untrue?
4.I don't care where you start on the scale of stabililty, instability has increased. We don't have to support anybody.

The same exact "experts" who sold us the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan are regurgitating exactly your position on this.

How smart.

Endless wars, the new libertarian position! You might as well write a check to Lockheed.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

cowboycwr said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

three- No it doesn't

The same exact "experts" who sold us the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan are regurgitating exactly your position on this.

How smart.

Endless wars, the new libertarian position! You might as well write a check to Lockheed.
They may agree with me now, they didn't when I opposed the second Iraq war, or staying in Afghanistan without an exit strategy.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

cowboycwr said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

three- No it doesn't

How smart.

They may agree with me now, they didn't when I opposed the second Iraq war, or staying in Afghanistan without an exit strategy.
Those people don't have an exit strategy with Syria.

What is your appropriate exit strategy?
riflebear
quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

cowboycwr said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

three- No it doesn't

How smart.

Those people don't have an exit strategy with Syria.

What is your appropriate exit strategy?
Don't go in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.