White privilege?

58,481 Views | 600 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Waco1947
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
47 decided to leave the thread and instead take it to private messages..... his lack of debate skills or any sort of rational argument extend to that form of communication as well.
Doc Holliday
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
quash
cowboycwr said:

fadskier said:

cowboycwr said:

Sam Lowry said:

cowboycwr said:

Sam Lowry said:

cowboycwr said:

Not a single shred of evidence in that. Nothing that said- these people were sent to prison because they were black and these people were not because they were white- which is your whole argument.
That's not my whole argument. That's not even a tiny part of my argument. I didn't say anything about them being sent to prison because they were black.

So now that we have established race has nothing to do with why a person is sent to prison will you admit white privilege is false?

Or are you still going to make some claim that race has a role in going to prison? and not the actions a person does?
Of course race has a role in it. Re-read the thread.
Race has no role in it. A person does a crime or they don't. The fact that they are black, white, or purple has no impact on whether they made a choice to be a criminal or not.

Their skin color is not used against them to sentence them.

Their skin color is not a bonus for any sort of privilege.

If it was someone would have been able to explain and show where the privilege was for a white person on welfare without having to go to secondary issues that are unrelated to welfare.
I must disagree. It is to black people now via affirmative action. They get into colleges with less ability than others.
True. For college admissions and a few select companies race is a factor and is nothing more than reverse racism.
Racism. No such thing reverse racism, a thing is either racist or it is not.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

47 decided to leave the thread and instead take it to private messages..... his lack of debate skills or any sort of rational argument extend to that form of communication as well.

Your definition of white privilege is "Whites are given free stuff because they are white."
If that definition is true then why are white people on welfare rolls? That's your 'argument.'

Your definition of white privilege is wrong. You have no idea because you will read or Aggie with or counter the real definition of white privilege.
You set up a straw man definition and ask for "proof." That ain't debate that's wrong headed thinking.
Now what do you hear as my definition of white privilege?
Hint: White privilege is being born with skin and walking around white all day. That's it b
Waco1947
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Your definition of white privilege is "Whites are given free stuff because they are white."
If that definition is true then why are white people on welfare rolls? That's your 'argument.'

Your definition of white privilege is wrong. You have no idea because you will read or Aggie with or counter the real definition of white privilege.
You set up a straw man definition and ask for "proof." That ain't debate that's wrong headed thinking.
Hint: White privilege is being born with skin and walking around white all day. That's it b

When did I provide a definition of white privilege?

Please provide the exact quote from the exact post.

Look up the word privilege and then explain.

Oh and stop sending me private messages. Either discuss it here or leave it alone.
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Oh and stop sending me private messages. Either discuss it here or leave it alone.
Why more whites in welfare rolls? Is your quote
You said "Welfare does have 100% of everything to do with this so called white privilege you speak of. If you re privileged because you are white then you would not be poor. "
What's the implication? White privilege get free stuff for being white but that's not true becausrvgosh there are poor white people."
It's an answer to question not asked and a premise not made.
If I'm wrong then what is your definition of white privilege?
Waco1947
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Why more whites in welfare rolls? Is your quote
You said "Welfare does have 100% of everything to do with this so called white privilege you speak of. If you re privileged because you are white then you would not be poor. "
What's the implication? White privilege get free stuff for being white but that's not true becausrvgosh there are poor white people."
It's an answer to question not asked and a premise not made.
If I'm wrong then what is your definition of white privilege?

Is the above even English?

Look up the definition of privilege.

Yes you are wrong. As usual.

And did not provide a quote where I defined privilege.
JXL
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

The white kids I know growing up in poverty with single moms are apparently more privileged than Sasha and Malia Obama.

syme
Waco1947 said:

syme said:

My favorite thing about insulting 60% of the population with white privilege is when it helps the republicans win all 3 branches.
Why is it an insult? Who said it was? It's a reality not an insult.

Because "privilege" has and always will be bad terminology for what you're describing. It's a word used for nobility. Working poor and middle class whites don't much care to be described that way as they trudge themselves to work 50 hours a week.
riflebear
Florda_mike
riflebear said:

^^^ woke!

Gets it
JusHappy2BeHere
syme said:

Waco1947 said:

syme said:

My favorite thing about insulting 60% of the population with white privilege is when it helps the republicans win all 3 branches.

Because "privilege" has and always will be bad terminology for what you're describing. It's a word used for nobility. Working poor and middle class whites don't much care to be described that way as they trudge themselves to work 50 hours a week.
who said white people don't work hard and overcome incredible obstacles on their path to success?

their skin color just isn't one of those obstacles

Read these two articles

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

Extensive Data Shows Punishing
Reach of Racism for Black Boys

https://www.epi.org/publication/african-americans-are-paid-less-than-whites-at-every-education-level/

African Americans are paid less than whites at every education level

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
D. C. Bear
JusHappy2BeHere said:

syme said:

Waco1947 said:

syme said:

who said white people don't work hard and overcome incredible obstacles on their path to success?

Read these two articles

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

https://www.epi.org/publication/african-americans-are-paid-less-than-whites-at-every-education-level/

The data in the second article you list are basically meaningless as presented.
Do you know why?
JusHappy2BeHere
D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

syme said:

Waco1947 said:

syme said:

Read these two articles

Do you know why?
what's wrong with the article? other than it says it is only looking at hourly wages
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
D. C. Bear
JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

syme said:

Waco1947 said:

syme said:

Read these two articles

Do you know why?
what's wrong with the article? other than it says it is only looking at hourly wages

The conclusion the article seems to want to draw is that race is a driving factor in pretty massive pay differences for African Americans, even for those with college degrees and advanced degrees. That may be true, but the data as presented do not support that conclusion because they combine dissimilar things together. Unless they are controlling for the type of degree, those data are pretty much meaningless. An "advanced degree" is an "advanced degee" whether it is in social work or geophysics. However, the pay for a hospital social worker is much lower than the pay for a physicist who tells oil companies where to drill. When you combine "advanced degrees" and compare across race, the information is meaningless unless you control for the type of degree (as well as any number of other factors). In other words, to make the case that African Americans with the same college education are paid less, you have to compare social workers to social workers and physicists to physicists. If you don't, your data aren't actually saying African Americans with the same level of education are making less.
Golem
D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

syme said:

Waco1947 said:

syme said:

Read these two articles

Do you know why?

The conclusion the article seems to want to draw is that race is a driving factor in pretty massive pay differences for African Americans, even for those with college degrees and advanced degrees. That may be true, but the data as presented do not support that conclusion because they combine dissimilar things together. Unless they are controlling for the type of degree, those data are pretty much meaningless. An "advanced degree" is an "advanced degee" whether it is in social work or geophysics. However, the pay for a hospital social worker is much lower than the pay for a physicist who tells oil companies where to drill. When you combine "advanced degrees" and compare across race, the information is meaningless unless you control for the type of degree (as well as any number of other factors). In other words, to make the case that African Americans with the same college education are paid less, you have to compare social workers to social workers and physicists to physicists. If you don't, your data aren't actually saying African Americans with the same level of education are making less.

Epi is a left wing advocacy group. They assume a conclusion before they write anything and then use their labor union donor money to push their false conclusions.
Waco1947
Oh
Waco1947
Waco1947
JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

The white kids I know growing up in poverty with single moms are apparently more privileged than Sasha and Malia Obama.

. Yes, those kids were more privileged. Sasha and Malia will always be black and when walking through this world they are black and if you do not know that they are the President's kids then they will suffer same fate as all blacks. My guess is that that they already do. Your example is one of derision thus making my case.
Waco1947
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun
1. A special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.
"education is a right, not a privilege"
synonyms: advantage, benefit
Now put the word white in front of it. White skin means one is treated differently to their advantage or benefit. Not given stuff.
Cowboy, listen to a few black folk about it means to walk around black in this world.
Waco1947
JusHappy2BeHere
D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

syme said:

Waco1947 said:

syme said:

Read these two articles

Do you know why?

but when it is true across every level of education? There are white social workers and black engineers...

I'm not saying their methodology is perfect but when it is true at every education level it is evidence of a systemic problem

Mahatma Gandhi
D. C. Bear
JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

syme said:

Waco1947 said:

syme said:

Read these two articles

Do you know why?

but when it is true across every level of education? There are white social workers and black engineers...

I'm not saying their methodology is perfect but when it is true at every education level it is evidence of a systemic problem

There are white social workers and black engineers. The data do not account for that, and they do not, therefore, support the conclusions drawn. The article is deceptive.

It is not evidence of a problem, it is evidence of a difference that may or may not be a problem.
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun
1. A special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.
Now put the word white in front of it. White skin means one is treated differently to their advantage or benefit. Not given stuff.
Cowboy, listen to a few black folk about it means to walk around black in this world.

Advantage. Right. Immunity.

So privilege means you get something. So I ask again where is the privilege for poor whites on welfare?

In the world? Walking around black in the world has no bearing on it.

Not even in the us. We had a black president. Tiger woods. Oprah. Jordan. Lebron. Condi Rice, C Powell, etc.

They were black and yet overcame this so called lack of privilege. How?

How do so many Asians and Hispanics overcome it? Especially the Asians who as an immigrant group are highly educated and successful.

There is no such thing as White privilege. You have done everything but prove it. You have argued the definition of the word. You have lied about what I have said and been proven wrong. You have provided anecdotal stories. But not one shred of evidence.
cowboycwr
JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

syme said:

Waco1947 said:

syme said:

Read these two articles

Do you know why?

No their data is as flawed as when they show "wage gaps" for men and women. They don't compare apples to apples. They mislead and say things like "a 40 year old male makes this much and 40 year old female makes this much." But they ignore other factors like how long both have been at the job, in the field, etc.

Just like they did in the one you posted.
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

So privilege means you get something. So I ask again where is the privilege for poor whites on welfare? """"""I didn't say one gets something. You did. Whites on welfare screwed up their advantage like say the tortoise and the hare."""""""

In the world? Walking around black in the world has no bearing on it. """"""""You ain't black. You have idea. Every black I ever talked to said it makes a difference."""""""""

Not even in the us. We had a black president. Tiger woods. Oprah. Jordan. Lebron. Condi Rice, C Powell, etc. """""""""and they each fought privilege all the way up the ladder which is not to you didn't. You are successful and had your own obstacles. Congratulations. Be proud of yourself. Seriously I mean it being black was not one of those obstacles. For blacks it is.""""""""""

How do so many Asians and Hispanics overcome it? Especially the Asians who as an immigrant group are highly educated and successful. """""""""How many of them started as slaves and 3/5 of a person, endured segregation and Jim Crow, bad housing laws, Consistently for 500 years. My German ancestors endured racism but did not come as slaves and within Oreo generations were assimilated. Hispanics and Asians came as immigrants not as slaves. That's a huge difference. Sure they faced discrimination but they were free from the start. """""""

There is no such thing as White privilege. You have done everything but prove it. You have argued the definition of the word. You have lied about what I have said and been proven wrong. You have provided anecdotal stories. But not one shred of evidence.

Look white privilege exists but you're white and don't know it you're culturally blind. You don't trust the witness of blacks but I do. Either you get it or you don't Apparently you don't want to get it. It's a common response among whites. You want your definition to be proved wrong but your definition/premise is not accurate. White privilege is really simple You are born white and walk around white and people treat you differently than blacks. You can't see it but it's real. Just ask your black bros.
Waco1947
cinque
Florda_mike said:

riflebear said:

^^^ woke!

Gets it
Where'd you find him?
Make Racism Wrong Again
D. C. Bear
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

So privilege means you get something. So I ask again where is the privilege for poor whites on welfare? """"""I didn't say one gets something. You did. Whites on welfare screwed up their advantage like say the tortoise and the hare."""""""

In the world? Walking around black in the world has no bearing on it. """"""""You ain't black. You have idea. Every black I ever talked to said it makes a difference."""""""""

Not even in the us. We had a black president. Tiger woods. Oprah. Jordan. Lebron. Condi Rice, C Powell, etc. """""""""and they each fought privilege all the way up the ladder which is not to you didn't. You are successful and had your own obstacles. Congratulations. Be proud of yourself. Seriously I mean it being black was not one of those obstacles. For blacks it is.""""""""""

How do so many Asians and Hispanics overcome it? Especially the Asians who as an immigrant group are highly educated and successful. """""""""How many of them started as slaves and 3/5 of a person, endured segregation and Jim Crow, bad housing laws, Consistently for 500 years. My German ancestors endured racism but did not come as slaves and within Oreo generations were assimilated. Hispanics and Asians came as immigrants not as slaves. That's a huge difference. Sure they faced discrimination but they were free from the start. """""""

Look white privilege exists but you're white and don't know it you're culturally blind. You don't trust the witness of blacks but I do. Either you get it or you don't Apparently you don't want to get it. It's a common response among whites. You want your definition to be proved wrong but your definition/premise is not accurate. White privilege is really simple You are born white and walk around white and people treat you differently than blacks. You can't see it but it's real. Just ask your black bros.

What is bolded above does not sound like "white privilege," it sounds like "not black privilege." Doesn't sound like whites being treated special, it sounds like blacks being treated like crap. The problem with the whole concept of "white privilege" is that the very term implies we can fix it by taking something away from "whites." What "privilege" should we take away from whites to make things better?
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

Dude you are a lost cause. You provide the definition of privilege and then go on to say that white privilege doesn't mean the same as the definition of the word.

No it isn't real.

You have not answered a single question.

You only deflect.

I have asked one simple question and you cannot even answer that. Then I asked about blacks and you ignored that.

Slaves? You want to bring up something that ceased to exist 150+ years ago and use that as an excuse for people born after it ended??

Now I know you are arguing a lost cause.

White privilege does not exist. If it did you could provide evidence. Not just stories told to you by a few black people.

Where is the privilege for poor whites on welfare?

White privilege does not exist.
D. C. Bear
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

Dude you are a lost cause. You provide the definition of privilege and then go on to say that white privilege doesn't mean the same as the definition of the word.

No it isn't real.

You only deflect.

I have asked one simple question and you cannot even answer that. Then I asked about blacks and you ignored that.

Slaves? You want to bring up something that ceased to exist 150+ years ago and use that as an excuse for people born after it ended??

White privilege does not exist. If it did you could provide evidence. Not just stories told to you by a few black people.

Blacks being treated like crap does.
JusHappy2BeHere
D. C. Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

No it isn't real.

You only deflect.

Tomato/Tomato

I asked earlier here about two applicants that are dead even in every way, but one is white and one is black and the only responses that I've gotten back was that the boss should hire who he wants and is most comfortable with.... that's systemic racism and white privilege....

Mahatma Gandhi
D. C. Bear
JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

No it isn't real.

You only deflect.

Tomato/Tomato

I asked earlier here about two applicants that are dead even in every way, but one is white and one is black and the only responses that I've gotten back was that the boss should hire who he wants and is most comfortable with.... that's systemic racism and white privilege....
If it is tomato/tomato, what privilege should we take away from whites to make things better, and how should we do that?

As for your question, when are you every going to find a situation where applicants are dead even in every way with one being black and one being white? I suppose if you did, I'd suggest flipping a coin.
cowboycwr
JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

No it isn't real.

You only deflect.

Tomato/Tomato

Even if the one he chooses is the black one?
cowboycwr
D. C. Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

No it isn't real.

You only deflect.

By certain groups, situations, individuals, etc then yes. As a whole in every aspect of life/society is blatantly false.
JusHappy2BeHere
D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

No it isn't real.

You only deflect.

Tomato/Tomato

If it is tomato/tomato, what privilege should we take away from whites to make things better, and how should we do that?

As for your question, when are you every going to find a situation where applicants are dead even in every way with one being black and one being white? I suppose if you did, I'd suggest flipping a coin.
are you really saying that dead even would matter? the white bosses will choose who they are most comfortable with regardless of qualifications most of the time.... and since most of the bosses are white most of their choices will be too... unless there is a strong incentive to go with more minorities in their department

Mahatma Gandhi
Waco1947
D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

No it isn't real.

You only deflect.

Tomato/Tomato

The boss hires who he wants. That's his business and none mine. There is NO privilege to take away from whites except their white skin. That would be an impossible stupid action.
You are reading a damn thing I say. White privilege is simply white skin and white skin makes a difference in white culture. I know I've experienced it many times. All I am asking is to acknowledge it but for some reason you're too damn scared to admit. I don't get it. Walking around black can be difficult but you don't know that because you're white and haven't taken the time to learn anything about what white privilege is. You keep making up your own definition.
Waco1947
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

D. C. Bear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

D. C. Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

privilege
noun

No it isn't real.

You only deflect.

Tomato/Tomato

The boss hires who he wants. That's his business and none mine. There is NO privilege to take away from whites except their white skin. That would be an impossible stupid action.
You are reading a damn thing I say. White privilege is simply white skin and white skin makes a difference in white culture. I know I've experienced it many times. All I am asking is to acknowledge it but for some reason you're too damn scared to admit. I don't get it. Walking around black can be difficult but you don't know that because you're white and haven't taken the time to learn anything about what white privilege is. You keep making up your own definition.

Go walk around in specific parts of the country and see how much "privilege" you get when you get mugged or beaten or killed because you're white in the wrong part of town.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.