2nd Waco church splits from Texas Baptist group over LGBTQ acceptance

26,513 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GrowlTowel
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whilst, I'm a recovering Baptist (Presby now), I sat next to the Wilshire preacher-man at the barber the other day. He seemed like a very nice, sincere fella. I don't really care about their stance on gay folk, but I just think that being welcoming to all is a good thing.
Waco1947
I don't believe in your god.
ShooterTX
Waco1947 said:

You don't believe in the God of the Bible.
You don't believe in the Bible.
So there is no way for you to believe in Jesus. Without the Bible, you wouldn't even know that He exists, much less what He taught or said.
Waco1947
ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

So there is no way for you to believe in Jesus. Without the Bible, you wouldn't even know that He exists, much less what He taught or said.

Yes, I believe the God of The Bible.
I do not believe in your god of the Bible.
There's a difference.
God was revealed in your own way through the Bible. That's your faith. I affirm your faith.
But God's revelation in the Bible is different and widely interpreted among followers.
GrowlTowel
Evil.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Canada2017
Ol 47 is of the Pick and Choose 'faith'.

Even decided he was a 'minister'.

Gotta luv the internet.
Waco1947
Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.
God was revealed in your own way through the Bible. That's your faith. I affirm your faith.
But God's revelation in the Bible is different and widely interpreted among followers.

And again
ShooterTX
Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

In another thread, you said this:

"I start with reality and then go the Bible to support the reality of the nature of God as love."

So rather than the Bible and God being the basis of truth, you go to your own understand of "reality" first, and try to fit your god of the Bible into that understanding.
You made a very long statement of beliefs in that other thread. While the statement was confusing, one thing was very clear: You place science and modern philosophy in front of the Bible and the God of the Bible. If the Bible doesn't line up with your philosophy or your understanding of science, then you throw the Bible out or you try to re-interpret the Bible to fit your beliefs.

In other words: You don't believe in the Bible or the God of the Bible. You pick & choose from the scriptures, and you try to twist the true meaning of the Bible into something that agrees with your belief system.

You are not a follower of Christ. You are a false teacher.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

And again

And again you lie and deceive.

You have denied the bible repeatedly on this forum. You've even denied the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ which is the basis of the christian faith and the central theme of the Gospels. It just doesn't get any worse than that when it comes to denying the God of the bible.
TexasScientist
ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

"I start with reality and then go the Bible to support the reality of the nature of God as love."

So rather than the Bible and God being the basis of truth, you go to your own understand of "reality" first, and try to fit your god of the Bible into that understanding.
You made a very long statement of beliefs in that other thread. While the statement was confusing, one thing was very clear: You place science and modern philosophy in front of the Bible and the God of the Bible. If the Bible doesn't line up with your philosophy or your understanding of science, then you throw the Bible out or you try to re-interpret the Bible to fit your beliefs.

In other words: You don't believe in the Bible or the God of the Bible. You pick & choose from the scriptures, and you try to twist the true meaning of the Bible into something that agrees with your belief system.

Quote:

If the Bible doesn't line up with your philosophy or your understanding of science, then you throw the Bible out or you try to re-interpret the Bible to fit your beliefs.

You pick & choose from the scriptures, and you try to twist the true meaning of the Bible into something that agrees with your belief system.
Isn't that what all christians and denominations do? Most don't believe in stoning at the moment. Most don't believe there is a firmament that divides the waters that make up the heavens from waters beneath the firmament. Most ignore what they don't want to believe in the Bible and focus on what they do want to believe. They throw out what is commonly accepted as patently outlandish, yet hold fast to ill-defined and nebulous notions that are subject to differing ideas and imaginations of the mind.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

Quote:

If the Bible doesn't line up with your philosophy or your understanding of science, then you throw the Bible out or you try to re-interpret the Bible to fit your beliefs.

You pick & choose from the scriptures, and you try to twist the true meaning of the Bible into something that agrees with your belief system.
Isn't that what all christians and denominations do? Most don't believe in stoning at the moment. Most don't believe there is a firmament that divides the waters that make up the heavens from waters beneath the firmament. Most ignore what they don't want to believe in the Bible and focus on what they do want to believe. They throw out what is commonly accepted as patently outlandish, yet hold fast to ill-defined and nebulous notions that are subject to differing ideas and imaginations of the mind.
Yeah, that whole notion of honoring your father and mother, being faithful to your spouse, not stealing or lying ... so out of date!
TexasScientist
What if your father is abuses your mother? What if your father is violent alcoholic?
ShooterTX
TexasScientist said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

Quote:

If you are a follower of Jesus, then you have to accept the Bible. You cannot throw out parts that are confusing or parts you don't agree with.
Your examples are good ones. Stoning is not something we do anymore. Why? Because Jesus instructed us not to do so, and He gave us an example in His own life. Jesus came to fulfill the law, and give us a new covenant to live by. The "cliff notes" version of Christianity is to follow the life of Jesus. Do what He did and live according to His teachings. Jesus did not come to throw out the Old Testament, but instead, He took on Himself the death penalty for sin. We no longer stone someone for sinning, because that would be like saying that His death was good enough for some sins, but not all sins. We no longer banish people who sin because the requirement to be perfect and surrounded by perfection, was fulfilled by Jesus and by being filled with the Holy Spirit. We no longer have to wear perfect clothing or eat perfect foods, because we are clothed in His righteousness and we are sustained by His Word. I know... that sounds super spiritual or religious... but we are talking about religion, right? Also, God gave specific instructions to Peter about the ritualistic laws in the Book of Acts.
I have to run. I'll address creation in another post later.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

What if your father is abuses your mother? What if your father is violent alcoholic?
Do you stand around and let it happen? Do you say anything to get him help?

And what proportion of fathers are 'violent alcoholics'? Is that your excuse for why so many families are dysfunctional?
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

And what proportion of fathers are 'violent alcoholics'? Is that your excuse for why so many families are dysfunctional?
Of course you don't. You stop it and or you call the law enforcement - but that's not honoring him.

Do you speak in tongues? Do you pick up and handle snakes?
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Of course you don't. You stop it and or you call the law enforcement - but that's not honoring him.

You have a strange concept of honoring your father and mother if you don't think it includes intervening to stop violence.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

First, "honoring" your father and mother includes helping them where they need assistance. In some cases that means doing chores around the house even after you move out, but it also means protecting the integrity of the family. There is a passage in the book of Genesis where Noah got drunk, and two of his sons kept him safe from embarrassment and humiliation. That implies they also prevented Noah from doing things he might regret.

Being a good child includes protecting your parent even from himself if needed. You honor the man he wants to be, you don't dump him as soon as you find some excuse to run.

As for speaking in tongues and handling snakes, you really need to go look at the specific context of those verses. Technically, I have done both, but in the case of tongues it was in the ecstasy of devotion which an unbeliever would not understand and I therefore will not discuss it here anymore than you would discuss intimacy with your wife in public. In the case of handling snakes, it's a promise given to the apostles sent on mission and I believe it. My own handling of snakes is limited to the time I worked in a pet store, but I did learn a lot about what provokes attacks from snakes; most of them only strike out of fear or in defense. If you are observant you can handle most snakes without fear of being bit, but that was not what the verse was about. Also, for the record the practice of deliberately handling snakes to see if God protects you is putting God to the test, which is repeatedly denounced in scripture and has no place in a worship service.
Wichitabear
Well guess what, mine was. He became a Christian later in life. I had a great Christian mother though. So what's your point? Oh yes, honoring. You get help and keep praying and forgive.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

You have a strange concept of honoring your father and mother if you don't think it includes intervening to stop violence.
My point, is christians and denominations cherrypick and interpret the Bible differently depending on what they want to believe. All in the context of Shooter accusing 47 of throwing out what he didn't want to believe in. All Christians and denominations do exactly what Shooter is accusing of 47.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

My point, is christians and denominations cherrypick and interpret the Bible differently depending on what they want to believe. All in the context of Shooter accusing 47 of throwing out what he didn't want to believe in. All Christians and denominations do exactly what Shooter is accusing of 47.
Historical Christianity is a thing. Some believe it. Others cherry-pick. Some, like 47, believe a whole other philosophy and project it onto the Scriptures.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Please keep in mind that context is very important. What you dismiss as "cherrypicking" is sometimes more a matter of discernment.

You mentioned stoning, for example. That practice was not only never encouraged in the New Testament (quite the opposite), it was extremely rare in the Old Testament, and not practiced by any Jewish community in memory, including the most stringent observers.

I won't speak for the Hasidic community, but commend you ask one of them if they feel like they are 'cherry picking' with regard to the Mosaic law.
Waco1947
ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

"In other words" No that is my thoughts. You are way off base. The Bible is basis for truth and truth is God is love and Jesus died on the cross to show how much God loves.
Physics, chemistry, biology do support an old theism of the Scripture. I pick and choose the Scriptures that support my claim for the love of God.
Is that wrong?
Prove to me using physics that God is force beyond the forces of gravity, wind, earthquakes, tsunamis
Coke Bear
Waco1947 said:

Prove to me using physics that God is force beyond the forces of gravity, wind, earthquakes, tsunamis

Prove to me that your god loves you or anyone.
TexasScientist
So, you have all the different denominations with differing views on Christianity and Christian doctrine. Within those denominations, you have individuals, each with their own unique beliefs and understandings, which may or may not conform to the letter. How is that any different than what 47 teaches or believes? If he claims to be a Christian, then why is he any less a Christian than anyone else with views that don't match other views, or some doctrine to the letter?
YoakDaddy
TexasScientist said:

So, you have all the different denominations with differing views on Christianity and Christian doctrine. Within those denominations, you have individuals, each with their own unique beliefs and understandings, which may or may not conform to the letter. How is that any different than what 47 teaches or believes? If he claims to be a Christian, then why is he any less a Christian than anyone else with views that don't match other views, or some doctrine to the letter?

Because 47 advocates infanticide as well as picks and chooses scripture that align with his worldview, ex. 47 believes that homosexuality is not a sin because it isn't specifically referenced in the Bible, yet the Apostle Paul specifically tells the church in Rome to not behave as some of the homosexual Romans behave (Romans 1:24-32). My advice is to steer clear of 47 for any religious or theological questions because his answers will lead you astray.
ShooterTX
Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

"In other words" No that is my thoughts. You are way off base. The Bible is basis for truth and truth is God is love and Jesus died on the cross to show how much God loves.
Physics, chemistry, biology do support an old theism of the Scripture. I pick and choose the Scriptures that support my claim for the love of God.
Is that wrong?

This is the problem... you want to prove something about God, by using human understanding. This is a basic flaw, which always leads to heresey.
The Bible is very clear that we are saved by faith.... not by science or human understanding... faith. You are trying to say that faith is not enough, but science and human understanding overrule faith. THAT is why you cannot be a Christian, and indeed are a false teacher. You will claim that you put your faith in Jesus, but then you turn around and throw away big chunks of the Bible and the character of God, because you cannot understand it with science. That is NOT making Jesus your LORD and Savior.... it's really not even making Him your Savior. You can't tell Jesus which parts of His message and His character that you will accept. It just doesn't work that way. All you want is the love of God, but you don't want His justice or His law. If you reject His law & justice, then what is the point of needing a Savior?

You are a false teacher. You are promoting heresy.
FormerFlash
TexasScientist, who spends all his time on this board tearing down organized religion as if there was a great commission given to atheists, stands up in support of Waco47. That tells us everything we need to know about 47's beliefs.

It's gold. You couldn't script this any better.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Coke Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Prove to me that your god loves you or anyone.

Exactly.

Also, asking someone to use physics to prove God is like asking someone to use a computer program to prove the programmer.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

Is that wrong?

How about proof by testimony, i.e. firsthand eye-witness? According to the disciples' witness, Jesus calmed the storm with just a verbal command.

Isn't their testimony the very thing upon which you base your whole belief that God, Jesus, and the cross is love?

If you discount their testimony about the storm, why should their testimony about Jesus be believed?
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Is that wrong?

How about proof by testimony, i.e. firsthand eye-witness? According to the disciples' witness, Jesus calmed the storm with just a verbal command.

Isn't their testimony the very thing upon which you base your whole belief that God, Jesus, and the cross is love?

If you discount their testimony about the storm, why should their testimony about Jesus be believed?
What do you think is the point of the story?
Why is it told 3 different ways in Mt, Mk, and Luke?
Waco1947
The Bible is clear: Moabites are bad. They were not to be allowed to dwell among God's People (Deuteronomy 23).
But then comes the story of "Ruth the Moabite," which challenges the prejudice against Moabites.

The Bible is clear: People from Uz are evil (Jeremiah 25).
But then comes the story of Job, a man from Uz who was the "most blameless man on earth."

The Bible is clear: No foreigners or eunuchs allowed (Deuteronomy 23).
But then comes the story of an African eunuch welcomed into the church (Acts 8).

The Bible is clear: God's people hated Samaritans.
But then Jesus tells a story that shows not all Samaritans are bad (Luke 10).

The story may begin with prejudice, discrimination, and animosity, but the Spirit moves God's people toward openness, welcome, inclusion, acceptance and affirmation. Bixby Knolls
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

And again

You have denied the bible repeatedly on this forum. You've even denied the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ which is the basis of the christian faith and the central theme of the Gospels. It just doesn't get any worse than that when it comes to denying the God of the bible.
You are lying about me. I do not deny the bodily resurrection. I Corinthians is my defense.
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Is that wrong?

Don't go all self righteous on me but I am honestly asking "What do you think is the point of the story of calming the sea?
Why is it told 3 different ways in Mt, Mk, and Luke? Each has a different view and context or setting. Why?
You are usually pretty good about rational. What's your thoughtful response.
Read the 3 stories.
For instance Matthew says "The disciples followed Jesus on to boat? Why? Notice the 2 "follow" stories preceding the calming.
Mark says "They took Jesus just as he was.@. Why?
Matthew says "Little faith" and Mark says "No faith." Why?
Anybody else feel free to chime in.
The answer is not the details Are immaterial. That answer robs the story of its power. MT, Mk and Luke all have different agendas for telling the good news of Jesus Christ.
Aliceinbubbleland
Bible smack. Only at Baylor (or Liberty maybe).
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

There's a difference.

And again

You are lying about me. I do not deny the bodily resurrection. I Corinthians is my defense.
There are way too many lies told about your beliefs on this forum. And at least 99 percent of them are told by you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.