1M cases in Texas

13,242 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothra said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yeah JR, let's go ahead and lockdown for two months and increase penalties for not wearing masks.

Also no travel.

If you object because it's hurting your wallet then you're a racist bigot.
now, doc....I'm pragmatic, and you aren not. I'm not saying lockdown, I go to the office everyday, support my local restaurants and bars. It's obvious that mercans are either are too selfish or arrogant to voluntarily wear a mask in public. Travel can wait. I've traveled extensively , both business, and personal, and still do. Racist bigot, bro, that a little harsh, even for you. This is a time for everyone to pull together in a reasonable manner that doesn't increase the pandemic or tank the economy.
Have to say, I am in the office 3 days a week, and regularly out in the world, and I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen without a mask inside public spaces since the mask mandate went into effect. So, I don't think it's nearly as obvious that "mercans" are as selfish a lot of people as you think they are.
I see most people in the city and office buildings in compliance. However, I live in a high rise and you'd be shocked by the number of people getting on and off the elevator without one. Also, last weekend, we went hunting in South Texas and virtually no-one in the gas station convenience stores wore masks including the clerks.
Canada2017
Any mask less than an N95 is of little benefit .

Cloth/paper masks (20% reduction max ) is better than nothing but not if you are determined to mix around crowds of people.
Canada2017
J.R. said:

Mothra said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yeah JR, let's go ahead and lockdown for two months and increase penalties for not wearing masks.

Also no travel.

If you object because it's hurting your wallet then you're a racist bigot.
now, doc....I'm pragmatic, and you aren not. I'm not saying lockdown, I go to the office everyday, support my local restaurants and bars. It's obvious that mercans are either are too selfish or arrogant to voluntarily wear a mask in public. Travel can wait. I've traveled extensively , both business, and personal, and still do. Racist bigot, bro, that a little harsh, even for you. This is a time for everyone to pull together in a reasonable manner that doesn't increase the pandemic or tank the economy.
Have to say, I am in the office 3 days a week, and regularly out in the world, and I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen without a mask inside public spaces since the mask mandate went into effect. So, I don't think it's nearly as obvious that "mercans" are as selfish a lot of people as you think they are.
I see most people in the city and office buildings in compliance. However, I live in a high rise and you'd be shocked by the number of people getting on and off the elevator without one. Also, last weekend, we went hunting in South Texas and virtually no-one in the gas station convenience stores wore masks including the clerks.
I believe you ...and that's insanity .

And people keep wondering why the Koreans are doing so much better than us .
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Apparently we need better masks.
We can't invent one that will wear itself.
If only people not wearing them was the issue.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6936a5.htm?s_cid=mm6936a5_w

According to your article it is: "Exposures and activities where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, including going to places that offer on-site eating or drinking, might be important risk factors for acquiring COVID-19."

"Might."

Well, in that case, let's shut down all non-essential businesses for 5 months!

Are we talking about masks or lockdowns?

Our discussions are beginning to resemble the ones I had with Jinx about reproductive rights. Everything always came back to outlawing contraception, even if it had little or nothing to do with the issue at hand.
Point is, you have no evidence that lack of mask wearing has in any way contributed to the spread, or the spike we are seeing currently.
You posted evidence of that on the previous page. You reverted to the "lockdown" mantra when I pointed it out.

It's also not a huge leap to assume that if wearing masks helps, not wearing masks doesn't help.
Actually, I didn't cite to any evidence that lack of mask wearing is the issue you claim it to be, or that it has contributed to the current crisis. You made that suggestion, without any evidence to back it up.

Once again, there is no evidence in your link that the lack of mask wearing is the issue you claim it to be, or that it has contributed to the current crisis

It's your link. See the quoted passage above.
The quoted passage that says "might"? That's your evidence?
No, that's your evidence. But there's plenty more if you'd like:

https://journalstar.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/do-masks-work-data-doctors-in-nebraska-suggest-they-do/article_3b1db916-0cf1-57f5-8228-054d367885c7.html
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

Cloth/paper masks (20% reduction max ) is better than nothing but not if you are determined to mix around crowds of people.
More like 50-80%.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

which is the highest of any state. It's getting worse, folks, not better. Certainly not a hoax. Wearing a mask is probably a good idea when around people. Listen to the science.

There is zero evidence that a mask mitigates or provides personal protection against a respiratory virus 0.125 microns in size. If it makes you feel safe then great. I only wear one because I don't want to be a jerk. Go read the studies.

https://aapsonline.org/mask-facts/
One of my best friends who is a Harvard MD and PHD in Immunology differs.
I assume your friend is the only physician in America who has worn the mask outside of the clinical setting for the last several years.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Or people to wear them. I've seen fat dumbasses scream to high heaven about "muh rights!" and "how dare you!?!" in the middle of a Walgreens where, you know, other people where lined up to get their medicine. And I've seen ant-mask rallies. The utter stupidity of these delicate little snowflakes is incredible. That they're all being whiny little snowflakes is the height of irony.
The vast majority of people are wearing masks. As I said, I can count one one hand the number of times I've seen people in public spaces not wearing them since the mandate took effect months ago. That's not the reason the virus is spreading.
Isn't the goal of mitigation to compress the curve so that the healthcare system isn't overwhelmed?
I never thought the goal of mitigation was to prevent all spread of the virus, just to slow it down.
Jacques Strap

Ignore media reports and go to the source for your information

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/

ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Absolutely wrong.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Absolutely wrong.
Source?
J.R.
Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

which is the highest of any state. It's getting worse, folks, not better. Certainly not a hoax. Wearing a mask is probably a good idea when around people. Listen to the science.

There is zero evidence that a mask mitigates or provides personal protection against a respiratory virus 0.125 microns in size. If it makes you feel safe then great. I only wear one because I don't want to be a jerk. Go read the studies.

I assume your friend is the only physician in America who has worn the mask outside of the clinical setting for the last several years.
no, just an opinion of the smarted person I know. I've got no idea as medicine is way out of my lane as I'm sure it is with you unless you are a doctor, which clearly you are not.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

no, just an opinion of the smarted person I know. I've got no idea as medicine is way out of my lane as I'm sure it is with you unless you are a doctor, which clearly you are not.
Precisely and we never saw doctors, surgeons, or nurses wear masks outside the clinical setting prior to everyone losing their collective mind over Covid. That tells me what the medical community thinks of the efficacy of masks in stopping respiratory viruses outside the clinical setting.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

According to your article it is: "Exposures and activities where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, including going to places that offer on-site eating or drinking, might be important risk factors for acquiring COVID-19."

"Might."

Our discussions are beginning to resemble the ones I had with Jinx about reproductive rights. Everything always came back to outlawing contraception, even if it had little or nothing to do with the issue at hand.
Point is, you have no evidence that lack of mask wearing has in any way contributed to the spread, or the spike we are seeing currently.
You posted evidence of that on the previous page. You reverted to the "lockdown" mantra when I pointed it out.

It's also not a huge leap to assume that if wearing masks helps, not wearing masks doesn't help.
Actually, I didn't cite to any evidence that lack of mask wearing is the issue you claim it to be, or that it has contributed to the current crisis. You made that suggestion, without any evidence to back it up.

Once again, there is no evidence in your link that the lack of mask wearing is the issue you claim it to be, or that it has contributed to the current crisis

https://journalstar.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/do-masks-work-data-doctors-in-nebraska-suggest-they-do/article_3b1db916-0cf1-57f5-8228-054d367885c7.html

Once again, I am not arguing that there is no data that says masks are effective. I think they are somewhat effective. I wear them in public for that reason, to make others feel more comfortable, and because it's the law.

I have asked what evidence you have that people not wearing masks has in any way contributed to the spread, or the spike we are seeing currently. There is nothing in that link that provides evidence supporting that conclusion.
Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Precisely and we never saw doctors, surgeons, or nurses wear masks outside the clinical setting prior to everyone losing their collective mind over Covid. That tells me what the medical community thinks of the efficacy of masks in stopping respiratory viruses outside the clinical setting.
Yeah, if you really want to tie your brain in knots I guess it could tell you that. Or maybe it's just telling you the stuff out there prior to covid was less dangerous, like everyone says.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Yeah, if you really want to tie your brain in knots I guess it could tell you that. Or maybe it's just telling you the stuff out there prior to covid was less dangerous, like everyone says.
Yeah, Sam, we have never seen anything as dangerous as Covid. Polio and TB said hello.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?
In a review of observational studies, an international research team estimates that surgical and comparable cloth masks are 67% effective in protecting the wearer.

In unpublished work, Linsey Marr, an environmental engineer at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, and her colleagues found that even a cotton T-shirt can block half of inhaled aerosols and almost 80% of exhaled aerosols measuring 2 m across. Once you get to aerosols of 45 m, almost any fabric can block more than 80% in both directions, she says.

Multiple layers of fabric, she adds, are more effective, and the tighter the weave, the better. Another study found that masks with layers of different materials - such as cotton and silk - could catch aerosols more efficiently than those made from a single material.

Benn worked with Danish engineers at her university to test their two-layered cloth mask design using the same criteria as for medical-grade ventilators. They found that their mask blocked only 1119% of aerosols down to the 0.3 m mark, according to Benn. But because most transmission is probably occurring through particles of at least 1 m, according to Marr and Jimenez, the actual difference in effectiveness between N95 and other masks might not be huge.

Eric Westman, a clinical researcher at Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, North Carolina, co-authored an August study that demonstrated a method for testing mask effectiveness. His team used lasers and smartphone cameras to compare how well 14 different cloth and surgical face coverings stopped droplets while a person spoke. "I was reassured that a lot of the masks we use did work," he says, referring to the performance of cloth and surgical masks. But thin polyester-and-spandex neck gaiters - stretchable scarves that can be pulled up over the mouth and nose - seemed to actually reduce the size of droplets being released. "That could be worse than wearing nothing at all," Westman says.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?
In a review of observational studies, an international research team estimates that surgical and comparable cloth masks are 67% effective in protecting the wearer.

In unpublished work, Linsey Marr, an environmental engineer at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, and her colleagues found that even a cotton T-shirt can block half of inhaled aerosols and almost 80% of exhaled aerosols measuring 2 m across. Once you get to aerosols of 45 m, almost any fabric can block more than 80% in both directions, she says.

Multiple layers of fabric, she adds, are more effective, and the tighter the weave, the better. Another study found that masks with layers of different materials - such as cotton and silk - could catch aerosols more efficiently than those made from a single material.

Benn worked with Danish engineers at her university to test their two-layered cloth mask design using the same criteria as for medical-grade ventilators. They found that their mask blocked only 1119% of aerosols down to the 0.3 m mark, according to Benn. But because most transmission is probably occurring through particles of at least 1 m, according to Marr and Jimenez, the actual difference in effectiveness between N95 and other masks might not be huge.

Eric Westman, a clinical researcher at Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, North Carolina, co-authored an August study that demonstrated a method for testing mask effectiveness. His team used lasers and smartphone cameras to compare how well 14 different cloth and surgical face coverings stopped droplets while a person spoke. "I was reassured that a lot of the masks we use did work," he says, referring to the performance of cloth and surgical masks. But thin polyester-and-spandex neck gaiters - stretchable scarves that can be pulled up over the mouth and nose - seemed to actually reduce the size of droplets being released. "That could be worse than wearing nothing at all," Westman says.

Thanks.
DioNoZeus
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?

Where's the study where they tested the effectiveness of the cloth masks worn below the nose, the effect of breathing/coughing through a saturated cloth mask, the effectiveness of soiled masks that aren't washed frequently enough, or the integrity of these cloth masks after 7 months of wear and tear?
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

"Might."

Once again, I am not arguing that there is no data that says masks are effective. I think they are somewhat effective. I wear them in public for that reason, to make others feel more comfortable, and because it's the law.

I have asked what evidence you have that people not wearing masks has in any way contributed to the spread, or the spike we are seeing currently. There is nothing in that link that provides evidence supporting that conclusion.

According to data produced daily by the New York Times, Lancaster and Douglas counties have case rates that are much lower than other large counties in the state.

The virus is spreading uncontrollably in many rural areas, causing smaller hospitals to become overwhelmed and have to transfer patients to larger hospitals.

Bob Ravenscroft, Bryan's vice president of advancement, said it has had coronavirus patients from 26 other counties besides Lancaster so far this month, with most of those patients coming from surrounding counties but also from as far away as Scotts Bluff County, which currently has the state's worst outbreak.

John Woodrich, CEO of Bryan Medical Center, said the lack of mask wearing in counties outside of Lincoln and Omaha is "stressing the system."

Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Yeah, Sam, we have never seen anything as dangerous as Covid. Polio and TB said hello.
Polio hasn't said hello in a while. TB kills fewer Americans in a year than coronavirus did today.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Polio hasn't said hello in a while. TB kills fewer Americans in a year than coronavirus did today.
Yes, now it does. But it was a whole lot more deadly than Covid, basically a bad cold or flu, and we did not shut down the economy.
Sam Lowry
DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?

Where's the study where they tested the effectiveness of the cloth masks worn below the nose, the effect of breathing/coughing through a saturated cloth mask, the effectiveness of soiled masks that aren't washed frequently enough, or the integrity of these cloth masks after 7 months of wear and tear?
Factors like those would be built into any study of mask effectiveness at the population level.
DioNoZeus
Sam Lowry said:

DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?

Factors like those would be built into any study of mask effectiveness at the population level.
Exactly, which is why no study has ever demonstrated the effectiveness of cloth masks in decreasing viral transmission in the community. There is a reason we conduct clinical trials instead of assuming results obtained in the isolation of a laboratory are the same when applied in the community like you're doing.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Let's talk about other diseases and causes of death then.

Cancer kills almost 600,000 people a year. 24% of those are lung cancer victims. And the leading cause of lung cancer is smoking. Are you for outlawing the tobacco industry? If not, why not?

More than 600,000 people a year die of heart disease. Those numbers are in large part due to Americans' eating habits. Are you in favor of outlawing fatty foods, processed foods and fast foods? If not, why not?

Approximately 40,000 people die from gunshot wounds each year. Are you for repealing the right of gun owners to own guns? If not, why not?

Approximately 80,000 people die of diabetes. Are you in favor of getting rid of foods with sugar? If not, why not?

Almost 40,000 people die in automobile accidents each year. Are you in favor of getting rid of automobile ownership?

Approximately 60,000 people die of the flu each year. And the vast majority of those deaths occur during flu season. Are you for shutting down the economy for a few months during flu season? If not, why not?

And approximately 300,000 people die of alcohol related disease and illness. Would you be in favor of banning alcohol sales?
Sam Lowry
Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Yes, now it does. But it was a whole lot more deadly than Covid, basically a bad cold or flu, and we did not shut down the economy.
Why would we? It's been in decline for 150+ years. The main point of shutdowns is to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed by the sudden spikes.
AZ_Bear
Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Why would we? It's been in decline for 150+ years. The main point of shutdowns is to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed by the sudden spikes.

Oh, so now you are only in favor of shutdowns to mitigate the hospital systems from being overwhelmed? That's quite a change of opinion. I thought shutdowns were preferable no matter the cost!

So, which hospital systems were overwhelmed before, during, or after our last shutdown? Do you think the hospital systems would do it the same way again if they had a choice? Does that mean Arizona should shut down when a state like NY has full hospitals? What about Phoenix if Tucson is full? What constitutes "overwhelmed" and who makes that decision?

Sam Lowry
DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?

Exactly, which is why no study has ever demonstrated the effectiveness of cloth masks in decreasing viral transmission in the community.
Sure they have:

[T]he strongest evidence in favor of masks come from studies of real-world scenarios. "The most important thing are the epidemiologic data," said Rutherford. Because it would be unethical to assign people to not wear a mask during a pandemic, the epidemiological evidence has come from so-called "experiments of nature."

A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points.

Another study looked at coronavirus deaths across 198 countries and found that those with cultural norms or government policies favoring mask-wearing had lower death rates.

Two compelling case reports also suggest that masks can prevent transmission in high-risk scenarios, said Chin-Hong and Rutherford. In one case, a man flew from China to Toronto and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. He had a dry cough and wore a mask on the flight, and all 25 people closest to him on the flight tested negative for COVID-19. In another case, in late May, two hair stylists in Missouri had close contact with 140 clients while sick with COVID-19. Everyone wore a mask and none of the clients tested positive.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Wrecks Quan Dough
The last time we tried to save hosptal capacity a bunch of Healthcare workers got laid off. Sams plan and all other attempts to make decisions for other people in the face a flu strain are folly.
DioNoZeus
Sam Lowry said:

DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?

Exactly, which is why no study has ever demonstrated the effectiveness of cloth masks in decreasing viral transmission in the community.
Sure they have:

[T]he strongest evidence in favor of masks come from studies of real-world scenarios. "The most important thing are the epidemiologic data," said Rutherford. Because it would be unethical to assign people to not wear a mask during a pandemic, the epidemiological evidence has come from so-called "experiments of nature."

A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points.

Another study looked at coronavirus deaths across 198 countries and found that those with cultural norms or government policies favoring mask-wearing had lower death rates.

Two compelling case reports also suggest that masks can prevent transmission in high-risk scenarios, said Chin-Hong and Rutherford. In one case, a man flew from China to Toronto and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. He had a dry cough and wore a mask on the flight, and all 25 people closest to him on the flight tested negative for COVID-19. In another case, in late May, two hair stylists in Missouri had close contact with 140 clients while sick with COVID-19. Everyone wore a mask and none of the clients tested positive.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

The Health Affairs study has multiple significant limitations including not being able to measure compliance with the mandates, enforcement of the mandates (which could affect compliance), and they were limited to confirmed COVID cases at a time when testing was limited. Additionally, they only looked at a short period of time. We've only increased masking mandates since the end of their study period yet the rates are climbing now. In short, correlation doesn't always equal causation.

The second one doesn't appear to have even gone through the peer review process

And forgive me for not making sweeping public policy based on two small case reports.
Mothra
Carlos Safety said:

The last time we tried to save hosptal capacity a bunch of Healthcare workers got laid off. Sams plan and all other attempts to make decisions for other people in the face a flu strain are folly.
I like Sam. He' a smart poster, and typically reasonable. But his authoritarian proposals are not only absurd and unfeasible, but they literally go against everything he has stood for the past 15 years.

Fear has a tendency to make people do and say foolish things.
Sam Lowry
DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

DioNoZeus said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Cite?

Sure they have:

And forgive me for not making sweeping public policy based on two small case reports.
Rightly so. One can only imagine the catastrophic consequences of superfluous facial wear.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Let's talk about other diseases and causes of death then.

Cancer kills almost 600,000 people a year. 24% of those are lung cancer victims. And the leading cause of lung cancer is smoking. Are you for outlawing the tobacco industry? If not, why not?

More than 600,000 people a year die of heart disease. Those numbers are in large part due to Americans' eating habits. Are you in favor of outlawing fatty foods, processed foods and fast foods? If not, why not?

Approximately 40,000 people die from gunshot wounds each year. Are you for repealing the right of gun owners to own guns? If not, why not?

Approximately 80,000 people die of diabetes. Are you in favor of getting rid of foods with sugar? If not, why not?

Almost 40,000 people die in automobile accidents each year. Are you in favor of getting rid of automobile ownership?

Approximately 60,000 people die of the flu each year. And the vast majority of those deaths occur during flu season. Are you for shutting down the economy for a few months during flu season? If not, why not?

And approximately 300,000 people die of alcohol related disease and illness. Would you be in favor of banning alcohol sales?
None of those are contagious but flu, and none risk exceeding our capacity to treat.
Gold Tron
J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Do they have their own facts? The latest Canadian studies are in agreement with the one I linked. Mitigation of spread of a respiratory virus by using a mask incapable of filtering it is not effective.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

More like 50-80%.
Absolutely wrong.
Source?

. Laboratory Studies

N95 filtering facepiece respirators (FFRs) are constructed from electret (a dielectric material that has a quasi-permanent electric charge.) An electret generates internal and external electric fields so the filter material has electrostatic attraction for additional collection of all particle sizes. As flow increases, particles will be collected less efficiently.
A properly fitted N95 will block 95% of tiny air particles down to
0.3 m from reaching the wearer's face.
https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/newsroom/news/2020/03/n95-masks-explained.
Problem: no source control. An N95 does not filter exhaled air passing through the exhaust/exhalation valve (for easier breathing and less moisture inside the mask).
Study measuring filter efficiency (2010)
https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744; https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data; https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744
Filter efficiency was measured across a wide range of small particle sizes (0.02 to 1 m) at 33 and 99 L/min.
All the cloth masks and materials had near zero efficiency at 0.3 m, a particle size that easily penetrates into the lung (SARS-CoV-2 is 0.125 m)
Efficiency for the entire range of particles
T-shirts 10%
Scarves 10% to 20%
Cloth masks 10% to 30%
Sweatshirts 20% to 40%
Towels 40%
Study measuring filter efficiency (2014, Korea)
https://aaqr.org/articles/aaqr-13-06-oa-0201
Evaluated 44 masks, respirators, and other materials with similar methods and small aerosols (0.08 and 0.22 m)
N95 FFR filter >95% efficiency
Medical masks 55% efficiency
General (cloth) masks 38% efficiency
Handkerchiefs 2% (one layer) to 13% (four layers) efficiency.
Conclusion: Wearing masks (other than N95) will not be effective at preventing SARS-CoV-2 transmission, whether worn as source control or as PPE.
N95s protect health care workers, but are not recommended for source control transmission.
Surgical masks are better than cloth but not very efficient at preventing emissions from infected patients. Cloth masks must be 3 layers, plus adding static electricity by rubbing with rubber glove.
The cloth that serves as the filtration for the mask is meant to trap particles being breathed in and out. But it also serves as a barrier to air movement because it forces the air to take the path of least resistance, resulting in the aerosols going in and out at the sides of the mask.
An August 2020 UCSF study suggested that the mask would decrease the absolute volume of the inoculum. (The concentrations of bacteria upstream and downstream of the test devices were measured with an aerodynamic size spectrometer) https://ucsf.app.box.com/s/blvolkp5z0mydzd82rjks4wyleagt036

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/protecting-against-covids-aerosol-threat/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.