Sarah Fuller becomes the first woman to play in a Power 5 college football game.

21,848 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Florda_mike
SoonerFrogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dont have to be a woman to get knocked out....

whitetrash
SoonerFrogs said:

Was that called for targeting?

(It may not have been the rule back then but would be today)
Jack Bauer
A soccer player who had never played a down of football decided to give the team a halftime speech.
The media thinks this is just amazing but this had to be even more demoralizing.

Jack Bauer
Here we go, I think an ESPY is coming soon.

Wrecks Quan Dough
At what point does this become patronizing?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Jack Bauer said:

A soccer player who had never played a down of football decided to give the team a halftime speech.
The media thinks this is just amazing but this had to be even more demoralizing.

.....and the team responded in kind. 0 points the rest of the way to a 41-0 loss.
BusyTarpDuster2017
PartyBear said:

Yeah...respecting women is some sort woke partisan position lol. That is how far off in delusionland y'all are.

Lowering standards so a woman can be used to create a sham equality moment neither respects women nor the integrity of the game.
Jack Bauer
Fair Question: Is Andy Dalton the best player to be the Cowboys starting QB?

Sexism: Is Sarah Fuller the best player to kickoff for Vanderbilt?
Robert Wilson
This is completely dumb. HS programs all over Texas are full of non kickers who toe punch balls farther than that. Surely Vandy's slate of D-1 football players has plenty who could've stepped in here. Publicity stunt by Mason trying in vain to save his job.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Robert Wilson said:

This is completely dumb. HS programs all over Texas are full of non kickers who toe punch balls farther than that. Surely Vandy's slate of D-1 football players has plenty who could've stepped in here. Publicity stunt by Mason trying in vain to save his job.
There is no way the punter could have done it. His leg was worn out by the start of the second half.
historian
Carlos Safety said:

Before it began.
Robert Wilson
historian said:

Carlos Safety said:

Before it began.
Concur
SoonerFrogs
Carlos Safety said:

probably around 1985
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

A blind snapper won this same award out of the Pac-12 in 2017. No one threw a fit.

The same people *****ing about Fuller now correctly thought it was a really cool story.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

A blind snapper won this same award out of the Pac-12 in 2017. No one threw a fit.

The same people *****ing about Fuller now correctly thought it was a really cool story.

Just a guess. I bet not a soul on this board knew about the Pac 12 blind snapper in 2017. Maybe you did, but I bet that is it.
Jack Bauer
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Just a guess. I bet not a soul on this board knew about the Pac 12 blind snapper in 2017. Maybe you did, but I bet that is it.
The blind snapper was a pseudo Make a Wish play for a hard working young man. That's all it was. Nobody speculated that disabled players would just start playing more on football teams.

But Sarah Fuller has "changed the game" and "shattered glass ceilings" with her one "historical" kick.
bear2be2
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

It was a major national sports story that got very similar coverage to the Fuller story.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

It was a major national sports story that got very similar coverage to the Fuller story.
Sorry, I never heard of it
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

The blind snapper was a pseudo Make a Wish play for a hard working young man. That's all it was. Nobody speculated that disabled players would just start playing more on football teams.

But Sarah Fuller has "changed the game" and "shattered glass ceilings" with her one "historical" kick.

First of all, no one thinks women are going to take over college football. So that's an irrational fear from the jump.

That said, what would be the major problem with more qualified women having the opportunity to play if they really wanted it? Those opportunities would be limited primarily to place kicking roles, so physical danger isn't a major risk. So what's the real hang up here?
Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

First of all, no one thinks women are going to take over college football. So that's an irrational fear from the jump.

That said, what would be the major problem with more qualified women having the opportunity to play if they really wanted it? Those opportunities would be limited primarily to place kicking roles, so physical danger isn't a major risk. So what's the real hang up here?

What is the strawman you keep putting up? There is no restriction for women to tryout for college football, NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. If you make the team, good for you. Where are these "qualified women"? Sarah Fuller has been at Vandy for 4 years, why didn't she tryout sooner?
Robert Wilson
Women have always had the opportunity to play.

The reason that they don't do so at a high level (mostly beyond jr high or rarely HS) is the massive difference in physical abilities.

Many people just don't comprehend how vast the gap is between the genders, or don't want to admit it.
Wrecks Quan Dough

Quarterback Princess. Helen Hunt was a great quarterback in the 80s. She also cleans up pretty well around the 1:30:00 mark at the homecoming dance.
Jack Bauer
Honest question...how many women have tried out/walked on/etc for a male team in college or pro?
Carli Lloyd said she had considered being an NFL kicker.
RightRevBear
Give the girl her props. The football team had no kickers available. They went to the girls soccer team to find a quick replacement. She won the tryout. Vanderbilt had a need, and she did her best to fill it. Yeah, it was a squib kick, but most of us on this board couldn't do any better. She is an inspiration in my opinion not just because she is a woman playing a male sport. She is also an inspiration because she gave up her Thanksgiving holiday to learn how to kick a football for her school. She is not a great placekicker. She was the best that they had, so she suited up despite knowing that idiots on message boards were going to trash her kicks.
Wrecks Quan Dough
RightRevBear said:

Give the girl her props. The football team had no kickers available. They went to the girls soccer team to find a quick replacement. She won the tryout. Vanderbilt had a need, and she did her best to fill it. Yeah, it was a squib kick, but most of us on this board couldn't do any better. She is an inspiration in my opinion not just because she is a woman playing a male sport. She is also an inspiration because she gave up her Thanksgiving holiday to learn how to kick a football for her school. She is not a great placekicker. She was the best that they had, so she suited up despite knowing that idiots on message boards were going to trash her kicks.
If you don't think the punter could have squibbed or kicked it deep, then you have not been around sports very much, SuperDuper Most Right Reverend. It was a PR stunt.
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

What is the strawman you keep putting up? There is no restriction for women to tryout for college football, NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. If you make the team, good for you. Where are these "qualified women"? Sarah Fuller has been at Vandy for 4 years, why didn't she tryout sooner?

There's no statutory restriction to women playing football, but their inclusion clearly isn't welcomed by many fans. This Fuller story and the response to it is proof of that. That's precisely why pioneers are important. They take the heat and break down barriers so future generations don't have to. You may think Fuller is a joke. But if she inspires young girls in the future who have more kicking talent than she does to play and makes their path to success easier, that's a good thing. And she will have served an important function.

And Fuller didn't try out for lots of reasons probably. Included among those is likely the fact that she didn't feel like she could. It's also likely true that she wasn't good enough until a specific set of circumstances made her the best available option. Where you look at those circumstances and attack her and others for exploiting the situation, I applaud her for going out on that limb. An opportunity arose and she took it. Good for her.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

There's no statutory restriction to women playing football, but their inclusion clearly isn't welcomed by many fans.
Yes, good luck trying to shame out men's innate desire to protect women or women's innate revulsion against watching men physically attack other women.
Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

There's no statutory restriction to women playing football, but their inclusion clearly isn't welcomed by many fans. This Fuller story and the response to it is proof of that. That's precisely why pioneers are important. They take the heat and break down barriers so future generations don't have to. You may think Fuller is a joke. But if she inspires young girls in the future who have more kicking talent than she does to play and makes their path to success easier, that's a good thing. And she will have served an important function.

And Fuller didn't try out for lots of reasons probably. Included among those is likely the fact that she didn't feel like she could. It's also likely true that she wasn't good enough until a specific set of circumstances made her the best available option. Where you look at those circumstances and attack her and others for exploiting the situation, I applaud her for going out on that limb. An opportunity arose and she took it. Good for her.
Criticizing her performance equals attacking her?

You realize fans "attack" every single athlete every week (ask Charlie Brewer). If she had kicked it even to the 20 yard line, she would have some credibility to being there.

ESPN said she will be "immortalized" in college football now. SEC said she has "changed the game". What she did was fill in and do an average job. Good for her for stepping up but there is nothing more to this story than a squib kick.

Have we set the bar so low for women that we give them a participation trophy for such a performance? Women want equality? Great, you get to take the good with the bad.
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

You realize fans "attack" every single athlete every week (ask Charlie Brewer). If she had kicked it even to the 20 yard line, she would have some credibility to being there.

ESPN said she will be "immortalized" in college football now. SEC said she has "changed the game". What she did was fill in and do an average job. Good for her for stepping up but there is nothing more to this story than a squib kick.

Have we set the bar so low for women that we give them a participation trophy for such a performance? Women want equality? Great, you get to take the good with the bad.

If a random male student won an open tryout and kicked the exact same squib kick, it wouldn't have received half the scrutiny. In fact, it wouldn't have received any. And before you say it wouldn't have received half the fanfare, you should remember how big a story the Tech kicker that came out of the stands to earn the job a few years ago was.

Fuller was asked to do a job and she did it. The only reason she's being criticized right now is because she's a woman and that's being celebrated.
Squatch Hunter
whitetrash said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Was that called for targeting?

(It may not have been the rule back then but would be today)
that would be a 15 yarder today. Didn't Fleeks get called for a similar but less devastating blind side block vs KSU?
Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

If a random male student won an open tryout and kicked the exact same squib kick, it wouldn't have received half the scrutiny. In fact, it wouldn't have received any. And before you say it wouldn't have received half the fanfare, you should remember how big a story the Tech kicker that came out of the stands to earn the job a few years ago was.

Fuller was asked to do a job and she did it. The only reason she's being criticized right now is because she's a woman and that's being celebrated.

The only reason she won Special teams player of the week is solely because she is a female. No media outlet would even report on a 30 yard squib kick from a male in a meaningless game.
Bearitto
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

The only reason she won Special teams player of the week is solely because she is a female. No media outlet would even report on a 30 yard squib kick from a male in a meaningless game.

Women win all sorts of things because they have vaginas. It's nothing new.

If that dumb broad gets hit full speed, she could quite literally die right there on the field. Clown world.
Mr. Bearitto was banned by the cowardly site owners because he stated that U.S. battleships should not be named after weak victims like Emmett Till, like Robby suggested. Apparently the site owners want a ship named in their honor some day. ;)
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

That's fine. I agree. The same was true of the blind snapper in 2017. Why the disparate response?
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

That's fine. I agree. The same was true of the blind snapper in 2017. Why the disparate response?
Because if a blind guy gets hurt nobody cares. If a woman gets hurt over a silly stunt, then people feel terrible.
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

Yeah...respecting women is some sort woke partisan position lol. That is how far off in delusionland y'all are.

Personally, while I applaud Sarah Fuller's success in helping her school, all this BS about shattering glass ceilings and so on is insulting to women, if you think about it. Women do not require some watered-down standard to know their abilities and worth.

When I officiated high school football, the UIL was not ready to let female athletes play contact football, but I saw plenty of young women play in youth leagues and adult rec teams. I saw young women play positions like Safety and Wide Receiver and do well, with only the respect of their teammates and opponents for their rewards.

'Equality' means a truly even floor, giving the same respect and acknowledgment for accomplishments under the same conditions. Ms. Fuller's accomplishment deserves respect in that she stepped up for her school and helped the team where she could. No one should pretend that means women in general are ready for Power 5 Football, at any position, in terms of earning and keeping a roster spot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.