Sarah Fuller becomes the first woman to play in a Power 5 college football game.

22,031 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Florda_mike
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

The Vandy coach pulled off a genius move.

He barely kept his job last year, they're 0-8 this year and getting rocked by Missouri 41-0..He throws her in to kick off a 30 yard kick, and the next day headlines are about a modern day Joan of Arc in our midst!

Who gives a S- - t about winning anymore?
He didn't throw her into kick as a stunt. She was the only kicker on a decimated roster and that was Vandy's only kickoff of the game. She was there by request to handle all of their kicking duties.

How many times did she punt?

She wasn't brought in to punt. Their punter was available. You do realize that punters and place-kickers have completely different roles, correct?

If you think real hard, you will understand there is a huge difference in power between the players in UIL 2A and NCAA and that a college punter, any college punter, would have kicked the ball better than she.
If you think real hard, you might see the irony in someone who champions freedom and liberty telling others what they should and should not be doing, you know, for their own good.

They have every right to put a girl out there. They also have the right reap the consequences when a girl is severely injured playing a combat sport against a bunch a elite male athletes.
She's not a girl. She's a woman. And beyond that, she's an elite college level athlete. She doesn't need some middle-aged man who couldn't make an extra point at his local middle school to tell her what she should or should not be doing.

She is a girl. Who would suffer severe injury if the opposing players hit her like they would hit any other player. Your pretense doesn't change that. Now, hold your breath and stop your feet and tell us all that Class AA ball is analogous to NCAA Div. 1 ball.
Girl/woman isn't a subjective distinction. One is a child. One is an adult. Sarah Fuller is a 22-year-old woman. She's not a girl.

And she's no more susceptible to injury than any other kicker. In fact, she's probably less so given that, at 6-2, she's bigger than many of her male counterparts.
Jack Bauer
Reverend said:

Of course. That would only be fair.

Fair??
Reverend
It would only be more fair if Georgia would clear the field and give her the option to either kick or run it in for a 2 point conversion.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

He barely kept his job last year, they're 0-8 this year and getting rocked by Missouri 41-0..He throws her in to kick off a 30 yard kick, and the next day headlines are about a modern day Joan of Arc in our midst!

He didn't throw her into kick as a stunt. She was the only kicker on a decimated roster and that was Vandy's only kickoff of the game. She was there by request to handle all of their kicking duties.

She wasn't brought in to punt. Their punter was available. You do realize that punters and place-kickers have completely different roles, correct?

If you think real hard, you will understand there is a huge difference in power between the players in UIL 2A and NCAA and that a college punter, any college punter, would have kicked the ball better than she.
If you think real hard, you might see the irony in someone who champions freedom and liberty telling others what they should and should not be doing, you know, for their own good.

They have every right to put a girl out there. They also have the right reap the consequences when a girl is severely injured playing a combat sport against a bunch a elite male athletes.
She's not a girl. She's a woman. And beyond that, she's an elite college level athlete. She doesn't need some middle-aged man who couldn't make an extra point at his local middle school to tell her what she should or should not be doing.

She is a girl. Who would suffer severe injury if the opposing players hit her like they would hit any other player. Your pretense doesn't change that. Now, hold your breath and stop your feet and tell us all that Class AA ball is analogous to NCAA Div. 1 ball.

And she's no more susceptible to injury than any other kicker.
That is incorrect. Girls are 1.5 to 2.0 times likely than boys to suffer injury to their ACL. And more concerning are (a) they do not have the back and neck strength their male counterparts have which will make soft tissue injuries more likely and more severe when violent contact occurs and (b) we do not have much in the way of concussion data from women who play against men in combat sports.

Here is some of what we do know. Women are at greater risk for sports-related concussions:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200131-why-women-are-more-at-risk-from-concussion

https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/among-college-athletes-concussion-risk-may-be-higher-women
BU79
Carlos Safety said:

DS Bear said:

What was with the pooch kick? Is that as far as she can kick it? Was it to ensure that she didn't have to take part in a tackle? If the answer to either of those questions is "yes", then a woman still has not played in a power five game.

That is about how she was kicking in pre-game. I think she had only a couple days to learn how to kick a football. Apparently, it is different than kicking a soccer ball.
This is accurate
Kicking a soccer ball vs a football is different

Her participation was only groundbreaking from a gender perspective
Her technic and ability to kick a football (for a female) was not
She had little knowledge of what she was doing
Watching her in pre game film and the KO showed she currently has little talent
There is no way that Vanderbilt doesn't have better options in the student population
Baylor has 4 kickers on the roster and 3 are walkons and 1 was already a student and came from the general student population

I have seen several girls/women kick over the years and do much better than her, typical range 35-40 yards
Saddle Up!
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

And she's no more susceptible to injury than any other kicker.
That is incorrect. Girls are 1.5 to 2.0 times likely than boys to suffer injury to their ACL. And more concerning are (a) they do not have the back and neck strength their male counterparts have which will make soft tissue injuries more likely and more severe when violent contact occurs and (b) we do not have much in the way of concussion data from women who play against men in combat sports.

Here is some of what we do know. Women are at greater risk for sports-related concussions:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200131-why-women-are-more-at-risk-from-concussion

https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/among-college-athletes-concussion-risk-may-be-higher-women

All I know is that she better be happy Bo Lee used up all his eligibility!
historian
Wasn't there a basketball game recently between the high school boys team and a college women's team?

IIRC, the boys totally stomped all over the women. That should dispel any myths about men & women competing at the same level.
bear2be2
BU79 said:

Carlos Safety said:

DS Bear said:

What was with the pooch kick? Is that as far as she can kick it? Was it to ensure that she didn't have to take part in a tackle? If the answer to either of those questions is "yes", then a woman still has not played in a power five game.

That is about how she was kicking in pre-game. I think she had only a couple days to learn how to kick a football. Apparently, it is different than kicking a soccer ball.
This is accurate

There is no way that Vanderbilt doesn't have better options in the student population
Baylor has 4 kickers on the roster and 3 are walkons and 1 was already a student and came from the general student population

I have seen several girls/women kick over the years and do much better than her, typical range 35-40 yards

It was reported that she had made field goals out to 38 yards. I didn't see her warm up or kick, so I can't confirm that. But I'm not going to judge her ability based on one squib kick that largely accomplished the goal it was designed to.
Jack Bauer
Welp...

historian
I guess the stunt didn't save his job.
curtpenn
Thee University said:

If she wants to impress the nation let her kick it deep and then cover the kickoff like a normal kicker. Ask her to make a tackle if the returner breaks through.

Better yet, let her take a hit like the one Ronnie "Bo" Lee put on Arkansas kicker Steve Little back in 1975 or 1976.

Was there that day for Bo's decleater. Ouch.
curtpenn
bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

Like I said, good for her and a positive story. Some of y'all seem to get mad at the weirdest things.
These are the same people that think white men and American Christians are being persecuted. They have a complex.

More access to opportunity is always a good thing and should always be celebrated. There's nothing to be threatened by here, fellas.

If you can't see that white men and Christians are being targeted, then you are blind and just another useful idiot.

More access to equal opportunity? Our daughter was a D1 athlete and is currently a high school rowing coach. Should boys have an equal opportunity to row in the girls' boats?
SIC EM 94
Reverend said:

It would only be more fair if Georgia would clear the field and give her the option to either kick or run it in for a 2 point conversion.

Yes...they can make it like one of those "Make a Wish" deals for her where the defense plays like they are trying to tackle her but just can't seem to do so. It will be historic and Bear2Be2 will be reduced to tears of joy at the monumental event!
historian
curtpenn said:

Thee University said:

If she wants to impress the nation let her kick it deep and then cover the kickoff like a normal kicker. Ask her to make a tackle if the returner breaks through.

Better yet, let her take a hit like the one Ronnie "Bo" Lee put on Arkansas kicker Steve Little back in 1975 or 1976.
Was there that day for Bo's decleater. Ouch.
Baylor has had its share of them. Here's a classic:

BU79
bear2be2 said:

BU79 said:

Carlos Safety said:

DS Bear said:

This is accurate

It was reported that she had made field goals out to 38 yards. I didn't see her warm up or kick, so I can't confirm that. But I'm not going to judge her ability based on one squib kick that largely accomplished the goal it was designed to.
So like I said
At 38 yards she is no different than the other girls/women I have seen kick
And at a regional kicking camp of 200 high school juniors and seniors at that range she would rank last
Your average college is full of former HS football players including kickers
Which means as I said
There are many boys/men on the Vanderbilt campus that were former HS kickers and or soccer players that would easily out kick her
Timbear
The HC was on the way out and wanted to be remembered for something. Tip of the cap to the PC crowd.
historian
The problem with that: almost everything p.c. is based upon lies.
Bears2Cane
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

I hope that you had this same energy when Blankenship played college ball. Similar frame to Fuller. He managed to play all four years without suffering a catastrophic injury like you're predicting--and now he's playing on Sundays. I'm sure we can look back in your posts and find the same protective sentiment being shared.

bear2be2
BU79 said:

bear2be2 said:

BU79 said:

Carlos Safety said:

DS Bear said:

This is accurate

So like I said
At 38 yards she is no different than the other girls/women I have seen kick
And at a regional kicking camp of 200 high school juniors and seniors at that range she would rank last
Your average college is full of former HS football players including kickers
Which means as I said
There are many boys/men on the Vanderbilt campus that were former HS kickers and or soccer players that would easily out kick her
Vanderbilt had already let out for the holidays, so there weren't an abundance of students on campus, and they wanted someone who was already in the COVID protocol. Their options were basically limited to players on their current roster or athletes from other sports. They don't have a men's soccer program, so a women's soccer player made sense. Fuller was doing them a favor.
DAC
Jack Bauer said:

Equality!! You gotta be kidding me...

They should list her bra size
Wrecks Quan Dough
Bears2Canes said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

I hope that you had this same energy when Blankenship played college ball. Similar frame to Fuller. He managed to play all four years without suffering a catastrophic injury like you're predicting--and now he's playing on Sundays. I'm sure we can look back in your posts and find the same protective sentiment being shared.

Blankenship is a male with male muscles, bone structure, and physiology. He is not as vulnerable to injury as a female because of his male muscles, bone structure, and physiology. People, especially younger people, in the current age to assert they are about the science and following the science. Many of them are among the most scientifically ignorant and scientifically illiterate people on the planet. What we are talking about used to be common sense.

Today, I have to link to studies and articles about studies saying that women are more prone to injury than men when subject to similar physical stresses. And even then, people refuse to believe it.
Bears2Cane
Carlos Safety said:

Bears2Canes said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

Blankenship is a male with male muscles, bone structure, and physiology. He is not as vulnerable to injury as a female because of his male muscles, bone structure, and physiology. For people, especially younger people, in the current age to assert they are about the science and following the science. Many of them are among the most scientifically ignorant and scientifically illiterate people on the planet. What we are talking about used to be common sense.

Today, I have to link to studies and articles about studies saying that women are more prone to injury than men when subject to similar physical stresses. And even then, people refuse to believe it.
Football is bad for just about everyone who plays it. The lingering and longstanding consequences of playing the sport at this level are fairly known at this point. Under the safety standards you've expressed here, no one should play football. If you want to argue whether it was a PC stunt, fine. But don't pretend you really care about the safety of willing participants in an inherently violent sport. If she wants to play and put herself at risk, just as her male teammates have chosen, then she should be able to. Nobody appointed you gatekeeper of who is allowed to play football.
bear2be2
Bears2Canes said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bears2Canes said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

Blankenship is a male with male muscles, bone structure, and physiology. He is not as vulnerable to injury as a female because of his male muscles, bone structure, and physiology. For people, especially younger people, in the current age to assert they are about the science and following the science. Many of them are among the most scientifically ignorant and scientifically illiterate people on the planet. What we are talking about used to be common sense.

Football is bad for just about everyone who plays it. The lingering and longstanding consequences of playing the sport at this level are fairly known at this point. Under the safety standards you've expressed here, no one should play football. If you want to argue whether it was a PC stunt, fine. But don't pretend you really care about the safety of willing participants in an inherently violent sport. If she wants to play and put herself at risk, just as her male teammates have chosen, then she should be able to. Nobody appointed you gatekeeper of who is allowed to play football.
And we're not talking about starting a 5-8 woman at middle linebacker. She's playing kicker, a position that is unlikely to require any contact at all in the majority of games.

And on the rare occasions it does, almost none of her male counterparts are any better equipped to take that type of hit than is the 6-2 and athletically built Fuller.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Bears2Canes said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bears2Canes said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

It is a message board. I will give my opinion and then you will caterwaul about my opinion and ignore the facts presented that indicate women are at a greater risk of injury than men especially when participating in a violent game like football.

Your job is to keep caterwauling. My job is to keep repeating the obvious. Eventually, a woman is going to be severely and maybe permanently disabled playing football at the collegiate level. But that is a small price to pay for the PC crowd. To make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs, right?

Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Bears2Canes said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bears2Canes said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

And we're not talking about starting a 5-8 woman at middle linebacker. She's playing kicker, a position that is unlikely to require any contact at all in the majority of games.

And on the rare occasions it does, almost none of her male counterparts are any better equipped to take that type of hit than is the 6-2 and athletically built Fuller.
You seem to think that this monumental and historical occasion will limit female play to "safe" roles. That is not very egalitarian of you.
whitetrash
DAC said:

Jack Bauer said:

Equality!! You gotta be kidding me...

They should list her bra size

That was her jersey number.
Jack Bauer
Disclaimer: It's a joke...

https://instagr.am/p/CIMwgrll6cv
Aliceinbubbleland
Thee University said:

Did you know?

From Wiki...

Hours after his release by the Cardinals, Little was involved in a high-speed which broke his neck and left him a paraplegic. Little died in 1999 at age 43, having spent years as a quadriplegic in hospice in Little Rock, Arkansas where he lived with and was cared for by his brother Gene Little. Little is on the All-Century team at Arkansas, and is also listed as #11 on the list of greatest Arkansas football players of all time.
Aliceinbubbleland
bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

Like I said, good for her and a positive story. Some of y'all seem to get mad at the weirdest things.
These are the same people that think white men and American Christians are being persecuted. They have a complex.

More access to opportunity is always a good thing and should always be celebrated. There's nothing to be threatened by here, fellas.
Are y'all husband and spouse having breakfast conversation on the Forum rather than at the table?
PartyBear
I suspect most of these comments are from never had kids and never married types. BTW can ya'll take your pig (and I dont mean Arkansas football) talk to Parler where it cant be associated with a great uniiversity.
Adriacus Peratuun
It is possible to:

1) congratulate her for her efforts on behalf of her school, and

2) recognize that playing her was a publicity stunt by a desperate head coach trying to keep his job.

Those two concepts are not incompatible.
Saddle Up!
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Thee University said:

Did you know?

From Wiki...

Hours after his release by the Cardinals, Little was involved in a high-speed which broke his neck and left him a paraplegic. Little died in 1999 at age 43, having spent years as a quadriplegic in hospice in Little Rock, Arkansas where he lived with and was cared for by his brother Gene Little. Little is on the All-Century team at Arkansas, and is also listed as #11 on the list of greatest Arkansas football players of all time.
I had never heard that. Sad. I was there that night in 1975, and thought that might have happened to him on the football field, and that Bo was about to be the first football player I had ever seen arrested on the field for murder! I had freshman English with him and Gary Don, and the following Monday morning in class there was quite a bit of good-natured kidding and laughter going on about it all.
Wrecks Quan Dough
PartyBear said:

I suspect most of these comments are from never had kids and never married types. BTW can ya'll take your pig (and I dont mean Arkansas football) talk to Parler where it cant be associated with a great uniiversity.
Must purge Baylor of non-woke and dissenting points of view.
Jack Bauer
PartyBear said:

I am married with 2 girls, one plays soccer .She was very underwhelmed at the moment.
PartyBear
Yeah...respecting women is some sort woke partisan position lol. That is how far off in delusionland y'all are.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.