Football
Sponsored by

Selling beer at Mclane

32,896 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by T-REX
Bear3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which schools did studies showing alcohol related incidents decreased when alcohol was sold in the stadium ?
historian
The study was tainted because the researchers were too drunk!
drahthaar
PartyBear said:

My understanding is that alcohol sales from Baylor club cease at home kick offs and that is a Big XII rule. For some reason the BMDs are still getting alcohol in their suites during the games. Because it was not purchased after kick off.

That's because some people are more equal than others.
drahthaar
Pecos 45 said:

I'm hoping our Bears will drive OU and UT to drink after the games this year.

I want 'em to leave early to get smashed.
historian
drahthaar said:

PartyBear said:

My understanding is that alcohol sales from Baylor club cease at home kick offs and that is a Big XII rule. For some reason the BMDs are still getting alcohol in their suites during the games. Because it was not purchased after kick off.

That's because some people are more equal than others.

That's the motto of our government!

It's also Orwellian.
GoldMind
Bear3 said:

I totally agree. People can drink before and after the game. Selling alcohol during a game causes more alcohol related incidents with fans acting like idiots. I have seen this more than once in college stadiums which sell alcohol. I hope Baylor never does this.
False, and why would you want people to drink after the game and then drive?

30 rack of Natty is the same price as 2 pints in a stadium.

High prices deter abuse.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
T-REX
PartyBear said:

Not a Big 12 rule. The Baylor club operates a full bar during the week and removes all alcohol and beer taps in the baylor club for game days only. Suites do order their alcohol through the Baylor club and orders must be submitted by Wednesday of the game week last I was told but that day doesnt really matter if not correct. That is strictly an agreement between Club Corp, the parent company, & Baylor to not only facilitate the club being in McLane but also servicing club section members on game days.

The Big 12 does not prohibit alcohol sales. They leave it up to the individual schools on how they want to sell it if they choose to. UT, KU, WVU, TCU, Tech, OU, OSU all sell to the public at beer stands and most concession stands if not all. No restrictions on brining it to your seat, ect. Ive been to Iowa State the last 3 times we played there but honestly can not remember if they sell alcohol outside of club/suites. Kansas State sells beer but if you are not in a premium suite/club type area then you can only buy it in a "beer garden" area and you are only allowed to drink it in that area so you cant bring it to your seat. However in 2019 KSU did start selling beer at soccer and baseball games and you can bring that to your seats which is funny.

Assuming ISU sells at least to the public via a specific area like KSU, then Baylor is the only Big 12 school that does not sell beer. BYU of course will not but I would assume Cincy, UCF, & Houston do or will if not already once joining.
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Big guy
The over/under line for beer being sold in McLane Stadium is 47 yrs 3 mos.
CHP Bear
historian said:

I spent a full day at the Louvre in 2000 but do not remember that particular painting.
My recommendation. While at the Louvre stay away from liquid refreshments. Spent all my time looking for a bathroom around the square. Couldn't get directions to the head as I didn't speak French. Restaurants wouldn't let me in. Even offered the bartender $20 bucks but no go. Went into panic mode and threatened to wiz on the floor. Got their attention and bingo mens door opened wide. Sorry I missed the picture, but the wiz was gratification enough. As for drinking beer at games, I'm the designated driver. I'm a Baptist making $$$ on beer stocks. Does that make me a sinner? Or is it the $$$ all the .08+ put in my pocket. Would love to be sitting in front row listening as one explains their reason for running over a child in the crosswalk after a game. Forgot, don't forget to hand over everything you own to the victims parents in Civil Court. Never happen? I've sat in the front row enough to know it does. Looking forward to a sober Big 12 Championship.
GoldMind
CHP Bear said:

historian said:

I spent a full day at the Louvre in 2000 but do not remember that particular painting.
My recommendation. While at the Louvre stay away from liquid refreshments. Spent all my time looking for a bathroom around the square. Couldn't get directions to the head as I didn't speak French. Restaurants wouldn't let me in. Even offered the bartender $20 bucks but no go. Went into panic mode and threatened to wiz on the floor. Got their attention and bingo mens door opened wide. Sorry I missed the picture, but the wiz was gratification enough. As for drinking beer at games, I'm the designated driver. I'm a Baptist making $$$ on beer stocks. Does that make me a sinner? Or is it the $$$ all the .08+ put in my pocket. Would love to be sitting in front row listening as one explains their reason for running over a child in the crosswalk after a game. Forgot, don't forget to hand over everything you own to the victims parents in Civil Court. Never happen? I've sat in the front row enough to know it does. Looking forward to a sober Big 12 Championship.
Considering that alcohol is a crucial part of Christian liturgy, and Jewish liturgy before that, and that Christ turned water into wine, no I wouldn't say its a sin. Id argue that it never was. The ABUSE of alcohol, aka drunkenness is a sin, though Christ himself doesnt cover the topic of drunkenness specifically. In Luke 5:36-39 he tells the disciples that old wine is better than new. John 2 covers the wedding at Canaa and we all know that one. Jesus was definitely ok with a drink.

Side note, I giggled reading 1 Timothy 5:23 where Paul tells him to drink a swaller of wine for his tummyache.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
historian
Agreed 100%.

Unfortunately too many people don't know to drink intelligently, meaning in moderation. Heck, we sometimes have posters on these boards bragging about how drunk they were at games! None of them bragged about driving home that way & I hope none did.

My point is that when there are 40,000 people in a stadium & many are drinking, even a small number setting drunk opens a can of worms. Some might even act as badly as cow or frog fans!! Obviously the potential grows with larger crowds at other stadiums.
GoldMind
historian said:

Agreed 100%.

Unfortunately too many people don't know to drink intelligently, meaning in moderation. Heck, we sometimes have posters on these boards bragging about how drunk they were at games! None of them bragged about driving home that way & I hope none did.

My point is that when there are 40,000 people in a stadium & many are drinking, even a small number setting drunk opens a can of worms. Some might even act as badly as cow or frog fans!! Obviously the potential grows with larger crowds at other stadiums.

My point is Baylor's Baptists need to state that it's on those grounds you mentioned, potential for abuse, rather than anything out of the Holy scriptures.

CHP Bear
GoldMind said:

CHP Bear said:

historian said:

Considering that alcohol is a crucial part of Christian liturgy, and Jewish liturgy before that, and that Christ turned water into wine, no I wouldn't say its a sin. Id argue that it never was. The ABUSE of alcohol, aka drunkenness is a sin, though Christ himself doesnt cover the topic of drunkenness specifically. In Luke 5:36-39 he tells the disciples that old wine is better than new. John 2 covers the wedding at Canaa and we all know that one. Jesus was definitely ok with a drink.

Side note, I giggled reading 1 Timothy 5:23 where Paul tells him to drink a swaller of wine for his tummyache.
Grew up in the Episcopal Church. Was an Acolyte and member of the of St. Vincent. Always enjoyed Communion with Christian Brothers Wine. Chose to leave and joined a Baptist Church. As a result of my past occupation and seeing the harm drinking and driving causes in this world I chose to limit my wine consumption for a wedding toast. Hooked and Booked many for DUI. Seen lives ruined. Testified in trials and witnessed families destroyed. My post was for two reasons. One, hoping whoever read my post would think about their alcohol consumption at BU games, and Two, there are restroom signs at the Louvre. Not passing judgement. Just trying to impart wisdom. Historian and Goldmind have the right mindset. Sic'em Bears.
wongobear
BearN said:

The Wedding in Cana by Paolo Veronese in 1563. At the Louvre

I've seen the painting in person. I had no knowledge of it beforehand, but it immediately grabbed me, and I found myself looking for lots little details. The presence of the wine was also remarkable to me as a student from a Baptist U.

Anyway, I drink all the time and have no problems with it, but I don't think that having to abstain for 3+ hours at a football game is a big hardship. The only reason to allow it is to make more money which is something I think is even more corruptible than alcohol in some circumstances.

In the end, alcohol will eventually be offered at our games, but I won't be cheering when it happens.
historian
They can use both. They probably won't but it can be done.
Aliceinbubbleland
beardoc said:

Russell Gym said:

It's Baptist ideology you have to watch out for. I'm not sure all Christian denominations are as strict on alcohol as Baptists.
At Valparaiso (a Lutheran school), their fight song is "Beer Barrel Polka".
I always thought that was a really cool fight song. Ours sucks.
saabing bear
CHP Bear said:

... and Two, there are restroom signs at the Louvre.
Yeah, but is toilettes pour hommes for men or women or something else?
GoldMind
saabing bear said:

CHP Bear said:

I'm saad that Saab never produced the 9-3 Coupe
saabing bear
GoldMind said:

I nearly went broke buying parts for my 9000 S. Saab parts were made by tree elves in a forest near Stockholm.
GoldMind
saabing bear said:

GoldMind said:

I nearly went broke buying parts for my 9000 S. Saab parts were made by tree elves in a forest near Stockholm.

….Along with the trunk hydraulics for a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo.
OsoCoreyell
RightRevBear said:

I am a Baptist minister who drinks. In fact, I talked to another Baptist minister about a brewery in Abilene at church today.

Baylor is not SBC, but its board is being taken over by them. The SBC is hypocritical on this issue because they officially condemn drinking, but 46% of them drink. They are stuck on a legalistic belief system that is not Biblical. This belief did not have much support until the Temperance movement. This theology makes Jesus a sinner. I think we can all agree that is bad theology.

Preach!
saabing bear
RightRevBear said:

The SBC is hypocritical on this issue because they officially condemn drinking, but 46% of them drink.
I'm really curious how stats with specific numbers like that are collected.
Russell Gym
RightRevBear said:

Baylor is not SBC, but its board is being taken over by them.

What's the board seat breakdown on this?
Timbear
This is so ironic, if true, that Regents sympathetic to the SBC are exerting more and more influence on the BOR. because Herb Reynolds set up the "Accountable to No One" BOR system of governance to avoid that very thing.
Aliceinbubbleland
saabing bear said:

CHP Bear said:

I thought of your post when I read this lol.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/mona-lisa-louvre-cake-attack/index.html
saabing bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/mona-lisa-louvre-cake-attack/index.html
So his point was "let them eat cake"?
GoldMind
Timbear said:

This is so ironic, if true, that Regents sympathetic to the SBC are exerting more and more influence on the BOR. because Herb Reynolds set up the "Accountable to No One" BOR system of governance to avoid that very thing.

Are the boogey men from your dreams back?
BearnMI
Russell Gym said:

It's Baptist ideology you have to watch out for. I'm not sure all Christian denominations are as strict on alcohol as Baptists.

Having said that, I suspect we are 50-75 years away from in-game alcohol sales. Or more
Didn't the Baptist Monks brew Mead in the early days?
GoldMind
BearnMI said:

Russell Gym said:

Having said that, I suspect we are 50-75 years away from in-game alcohol sales. Or more
Didn't the Baptist Monks brew Mead in the early days?

I laughed
Russell Gym
GoldMind
Russell Gym said:

Could use the same graphic for which schools treat their students like adults and which one still thinks they're at pine cove
historian
Russell Gym said:

Which school on that list ended 2021 with a conference championship & a victory in a NY6 bowl? Not that there is any connection between the 2 facts.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
T-REX
historian said:

Russell Gym said:

Which school on that list ended 2021 with a conference championship & a victory in a NY6 bowl? Not that there is any connection between the 2 facts.
doing so would have been much more enjoyable and financially beneficial had we served
Baylor MBA 2023
historian
It might have been more enjoyable got done but it would have been less enjoyable for others.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
T-REX
historian said:

It might have been more enjoyable got done but it would have been less enjoyable for others.
I'm too busy watching the game to worry about what the person next to me is drinking
Baylor MBA 2023

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.