Football
Sponsored by

Selling beer at Mclane

32,882 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by T-REX
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Krieg said:

If you have to drink to enjoy a football game, is it really the game you're enjoying?

It's 4 hours of your life 6 times a year. I don't see how anyone can miss drinking that much that they have to have it in those 4 hours. Let Baylor be what Baylor wants to be, and that's a dry campus. Same goes for tobacco on campus, too.
Alcohol and Tobacco are just nice ingredients to the already delicious stew of college football.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
80sBEAR
Krieg said:

If you have to drink to enjoy a football game, is it really the game you're enjoying?

It's 4 hours of your life 6 times a year. I don't see how anyone can miss drinking that much that they have to have it in those 4 hours. Let Baylor be what Baylor wants to be, and that's a dry campus. Same goes for tobacco on campus, too.
During the Steele years, alcohol was a necessity. I could usually make it to the beginning of the second quarter before I fell off the wagon.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Texasjeremy
As crazy as it sounds now, I do believe that within 5 years there will be serious discussions on alcohol sales at McLane and within 10 years it will be a reality.
whitetrash
PLSQL_BEAR said:

Quote:

And of course, Jesus turned water in to wine (not grapejuice) at the wedding in Cana.

Which is why Dr. Lester gave Him a "B".
Rep-point worthy, if we only still had them.
boxster
Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

While I don't personally care whether or not we sell beer at games, this is kind of a silly argument. So people should only hope for stadium amenities that they can't go without for 4 hours?
I don't think he's saying that. I think what he's saying is that since drinking does violate the convictions of a material, albeit shrinking, portion of the population, and since there is a great deal of destructive behavior that is associated with drinking (check 99% of every college sexual assault case for confirmation), and since the activity is not even legal for about 2/3s of the college students (it's a college event after all), that it shouldn't be a big deal to be obliged to abstain from that amenity for just a small segment of your life.

Probably not just an alcohol thing...would probably have the same attitude about gambling at the stadium also.
GoldMind
boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

While I don't personally care whether or not we sell beer at games, this is kind of a silly argument. So people should only hope for stadium amenities that they can't go without for 4 hours?
I don't think he's saying that. I think what he's saying is that since drinking does violate the convictions of a material, albeit shrinking, portion of the population, and since there is a great deal of destructive behavior that is associated with drinking (check 99% of every college sexual assault case for confirmation), and since the activity is not even legal for about 2/3s of the college students (it's a college event after all), that it shouldn't be a big deal to be obliged to abstain from that amenity for just a small segment of your life.

Probably not just an alcohol thing...would probably have the same attitude about gambling at the stadium also.

You want us to give it up for 4 hours on Saturday, then for 24hours on Sunday. I think we already pay a stiff price. That's 28 hours of oppression.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

What is weird is that during away games they throw big parties opened to the members at the Baylor Club the game is being viewed on every screen all over the place and drink specials occur like 1 dollar margaritas with every touchdown. etc. It is slightly stupid to not sell booze during home games.
We are nowhere near selling alcohol during games. And I agree with the Rev that the decision is based on image.

At this point, I'm worried y'all are going to talk about Baylor Club imbibing long enough that someone will decide they have to screw that up, too.
Ludwig von Missi
boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Well, if that is what he was saying you certainly said it much better than him. I think that he hinted at that in his last sentence, but I was responding the majority of his post:

"If you have to drink to enjoy a football game, is it really the game you're enjoying?"

Did anybody state otherwise?

"It's 4 hours of your life 6 times a year. I don't see how anyone can miss drinking that much that they have to have it in those 4 hours."

Seems a bit dramatic for people merely suggesting that it would be nice if McLane sold beer. There are a lot of things I can go 4 hours without...water, food, bathroom, wifi, etc...but doesn't mean it isn't nice to have them at that stadium.
boxster
Crash Davis said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Well, if that is what he was saying you certainly said it much better than him. I think that he hinted at that in his last sentence, but I was responding the majority of his post:

"If you have to drink to enjoy a football game, is it really the game you're enjoying?"

"It's 4 hours of your life 6 times a year. I don't see how anyone can miss drinking that much that they have to have it in those 4 hours."

Seems a bit dramatic for people merely suggesting that it would be nice if McLane sold beer. There are a lot of things I can go 4 hours without...water, food, bathroom, wifi, etc...but doesn't mean it isn't nice to have them at that stadium.
Perhaps I did put a few words in his mouth. Perhaps Krieg will chime back in and clean up what I inferred from his post.
boxster
GoldMind said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

You want us to give it up for 4 hours on Saturday, then for 24hours on Sunday. I think we already pay a stiff price. That's 28 hours of oppression.
Drinking on Sundays? NBD, knock yourself out!
boxster
RightRevBear said:

1. While some SBC members are hypocritical on this issue because they say drinking is wrong, but they have a stash of beer and wine in a fridge in their garage. I think many of them are forced into an uncomfortable silence because of they do not believe it is wrong, but they fear the wrath of those who do.

I think there are many who believe drinking is wrong, or at least unwise, but don't have the discipline to abstain. Making alcohol consumption a bigger and bigger part of our culture does them no favors.

RightRevBear said:

2. You make a good point about the problems of irresponsible drinking. That is not the reason why Baylor doesn't sell it though.

I don't think you know the reasons Baylor doesn't sell alcohol as clearly as you think you do. There are more valid reasons than pleasing some "sect". If that were the case, there would have been alcohol sales at every college stadium for decades...since most universities don't have "sects" they must answer to.

To take the question a little further, is there any reason not to go ahead and sell alcohol on Friday nights at the high school stadium? Would certainly make some $ for our high schools.
Ludwig von Missi
boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Perhaps I did put a few words in his mouth. Perhaps Krieg will chime back in and clean up what I inferred from his post.
He could have totally meant what you said and it wouldn't change the absurdity of the statements I highlighted.

If someone says, "it would be great if they had hot chocolate at this game", responding by saying, "you can't make it 4 hours without hot chocolate ?" is kind of bizarre.
GoldMind
boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Can't buy after 9 and can't buy at all on Sundays. America isn't as free as we think.
boxster
GoldMind said:

boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Can't buy after 9 and can't buy at all on Sundays. America isn't as free as we think.
Plan ahead??
D. C. Bear
RightRevBear said:

PD.C. Bear you are correct that we all sin. Lord knows that I have. Thankfully I worship a God of grace and love. I also think that we can all be hypocritical in some ways because we proclaim one thing and then do another. Two things I would like to say to the comment you made:

1. While some SBC members are hypocritical on this issue because they say drinking is wrong, but they have a stash of beer and wine in a fridge in their garage. I think many of them are forced into an uncomfortable silence because of they do not believe it is wrong, but they fear the wrath of those who do.

2. You make a good point about the problems of irresponsible drinking. That is not the reason why Baylor doesn't sell it though. If it was we could have a great dialogue because I don't need to drink to enjoy a game. In fact, I haven't consumed alcohol at a college football game in fifteen years. I personally get annoyed at the drunk Tech fans at Jerryworld, and I refuse to pay that much for cheap beer.

The reason they don't sell alcohol is because of the image they want to uphold to certain sects. Also, some of the board members would have a lot of explaining to do when they went to church at Prestonwood the next day.
I suspect you are correct that the problems of alcoholism and alcohol abuse are not the reasons Baylor does not sell beer at the ball game, but opposing sports fans and large amounts of alcohol are never a good mix.
GoldMind
boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Plan ahead??

Should you have to plan ahead to go buy a pint of ice cream?
CFB FAN
Sampi82 said:

Positive Bear said:

Will there ever be real (not fake) beer sales at Mclane one day? Maybe our Christian ideology will prevent us from this extra revenue but why not? Even if it's just 3 beers max per person. Cut it off in the mid 3rd quarter.
Doubtful. When there is a Baylor event anywhere near the Bear Club, not only must all liquor be put away but the keg handles must be removed as well and hidden. I don't believe the bar in the Bear Club is open on game days.
Strange because drinking alcohol is not a sin.
FWBear91
On more than one occasion, at Baylor and elsewhere, my enjoyment of a sporting event has been diminished by stupid, loud drunks seated near me. They are certainly the minority of drinkers, but I prefer not to be around them. I don't have a problem at all with beer not being sold at McLane.

GoldMind
FWBear91 said:

On more than one occasion, at Baylor and elsewhere, my enjoyment of a sporting event has been diminished by stupid, loud drunks seated near me. They are certainly the minority of drinkers, but I prefer not to be around them. I don't have a problem at all with beer not being sold at McLane.

I sat next to a group at the '14 title game who just yelled "FK KANSAS STATE!!!" Over and over. I feel you.
aledocrow
I was about to post something similar. SMU sells beer at their games. The last BU game at SMU was not a lot of fun because the person in front of us (a. Baylor fan) was completely plastered. It as fun and funny at first, but the guy just got more and out of control. In the end he was throwing up all over the place.

At the BU - Tech game, a group of BU fans directly behind me were likewise out of control. I had beer spilled on me as well as each other guys every time we scored. Apparently that is how they celebrate. Then I watched 3 drunken brawls with Tech fans take place as the Bear fans celebrated by taunting the Techies while walking to my car after the game

I don' t mind people having fun and I am certainly not an uptight Baptist true believer, but I definitely go to games to watch football and not watch people drink. I would prefer that others do the same.

I think TCU sells beer at the concessions but does not allow it up in the stands. I might be for that as an alternative.
Krieg
boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

You were exactly right with what I meant.
Krieg
Crash Davis said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

He could have totally meant what you said and it wouldn't change the absurdity of the statements I highlighted.

If someone says, "it would be great if they had hot chocolate at this game", responding by saying, "you can't make it 4 hours without hot chocolate ?" is kind of bizarre.

People weren't generally stating a preference, they were complaining about it not being sold. That's the sentiment I was referring to, not the preference.

Just look at Rev's posts. He seems to think it's borderline sinful to NOT sell it, at least in how he presents his arguments. If you'd prefer it that's fine. Baylor doesn't and that's fine...or at least it should be, but that's not the sentiment that some were expressing.
Ludwig von Missi
Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

People weren't generally stating a preference, they were complaining about it not being sold. That's the sentiment I was referring to, not the preference.

Just look at Rev's posts. He seems to think it's borderline sinful to NOT sell it, at least in how he presents his arguments. If you'd prefer it that's fine. Baylor doesn't and that's fine...or at least it should be, but that's not the sentiment that some were expressing.
I think rev was primarily just critiquing the theology behind the anti-alcohol segment Baptists as a principle of matter, rather than being up in arms about not being able to get a beer. He said,"I don't need to drink to enjoy a game. In fact, I haven't consumed alcohol at a college football game in fifteen years. I personally get annoyed at the drunk Tech fans at Jerryworld, and I refuse to pay that much for cheap beer." ...so he definitely didn't strike me as someone who cares too much about the actual practice of selling beer at McLane.
Gunny Hartman
There's a really simple solution to all this

Gunny Hartman
aledocrow said:

I was about to post something similar. SMU sells beer at their games. The last BU game at SMU was not a lot of fun because the person in front of us (a. Baylor fan) was completely plastered. It as fun and funny at first, but the guy just got more and out of control. In the end he was throwing up all over the place.

Um, the drunk and puking dude at SMU probably wasn't due to them selling beer at the game, but rather the tailgate that some buddies and I threw on the Boulevard pre-game. That was the one with the free, fully stocked bar with 4 white-coated bartenders serving several hundred hammered Bears, that pretty much took over the entire SMU tailgating scene that day. One highly esteemed member of this here forum--a man to whom people entrust their actual lives daily-- even passed out in the stands during the first quarter, as he'd been faithfully guarding our substantial liquor stores since about 10:30 that morning. In short, this tailgate was the stuff of legend, the kind where your great-grandchildren will whisper the account of it while their grandchildren listen in awe.

So, anyway, sorry about that.
Robert Wilson
The lack of alcohol being available in the stadium often encourages people to get a whole lot more tanked before they get in there.
bearlyafarmer
GoldMind said:

boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Plan ahead??

I personally don't drink alcohol, but neither do I judge those that do as long as they're doing so responsibly. Even then I can't judge them, because I have issues in my own life that can rule me if I'm not careful.

That said, I've never heard of a pint of ice cream being a factor in a fatal traffic accident.
Life is more about asking the right questions than giving the right answers.
Russell Gym
Krieg makes a lot of good points in this thread. Very fair and evenhanded.
GoldMind
bearlyafarmer said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Plan ahead??

I personally don't drink alcohol, but neither do I judge those that do as long as they're doing so responsibly. Even then I can't judge them, because I have issues in my own life that can rule me if I'm not careful.

That said, I've never heard of a pint of ice cream being a factor in a fatal traffic accident.

That said, we should be free to buy what we want, when we want and use it responsibly if we choose.

Just like a cell phone. You can text and drive and I have heard of several fatal accidents involving those. You can buy one at Walmart 24/7.
historian
True enough. If you want to buy beer at a football stadium, there is a really big one in Austin that sells it. Your right to buy and drink beer does not obligate Baylor from making it available on their property. In fact, they have the same right to prohibit it.

As has been noted, it's actually a pretty good idea not to mix alcohol with opposing football fans in which things often get very emotional and can get tense. I do remember, in December 2015, both teams storming the field in such a situation. I don't want to imagine what that would have been like had some drunk fans decided to act out their juvenile passions at the time.

Any Baylor fan who really wants to drink during the game can stay home and watch it on TV. They also have the advantage of being able to get as drunk as they like (I'm not sure why anyone would want to) and do not have to worry about killing someone or getting arrested in the drive home after.

Texting while driving is an interesting comparison. Several cities already outlaw it and it will soon be illegal statewide. I know several people who were killed in the church bus crash that inspired that state law. I don't really like the law, but I understand it. I'm not sure if that is all that comparable to drinking at a football game.
bearlyafarmer
GoldMind said:

bearlyafarmer said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

GoldMind said:

boxster said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Plan ahead??
no

That said, we should be free to buy what we want, when we want and use it responsibly if we choose.

Just like a cell phone. You can text and drive and I have heard of several fatal accidents involving those. You can buy one at Walmart 24/7.
Selecting a pint of ice cream as an example was indeed unfortunate. Speaking of cell phones, I understand there's a bill under consideration in the Texas Legislature that would prohibit even a passenger in a moving vehicle from holding a cell phone. To me, that borders on the absurd. If that ever happens with a chocolate malt, we're all screwed.
Life is more about asking the right questions than giving the right answers.
GoldMind
historian said:

True enough. If you want to buy beer at a football stadium, there is a really big one in Austin that sells it. Your right to buy and drink beer does not obligate Baylor from making it available on their property. In fact, they have the same right to prohibit it.

As has been noted, it's actually a pretty good idea not to mix alcohol with opposing football fans in which things often get very emotional and can get tense. I do remember, in December 2015, both teams storming the field in such a situation. I don't want to imagine what that would have been like had some drunk fans decided to act out their juvenile passions at the time.

Any Baylor fan who really wants to drink during the game can stay home and watch it on TV. They also have the advantage of being able to get as drunk as they like (I'm not sure why anyone would want to) and do not have to worry about killing someone or getting arrested in the drive home after.

Texting while driving is an interesting comparison. Several cities already outlaw it and it will soon be illegal statewide. I know several people who were killed in the church bus crash that inspired that state law. I don't really like the law, but I understand it. I'm not sure if that is all that comparable to drinking at a football game.

If y'all want to keep Baylor as oppressive as it was in the olden days, I suppose you could take that stance. I for one apparently relish the idea of a free Baylor. One at which we have the right to choose to drink at our stadium or not. And think of the money, everyone knows we sure could make it, and that could go to things like stadium maintenance or even to help pay for what's left on the note. No reason whatsoever that I can see to leave that kind of coin just sitting out there, especially when we could put it to good use.
Moondoggie
historian
It's not repressive, it's a private university exercising the right to express their values. (Too bad they are not always consistent.) As I said, if you want to drink during the game you can easily do so from the safety of your living room. Like one of the posters above, I don't really care if people drink (or smoke) so long as they do so responsibly. Part of responsibility is not imposing your wishes on everyone else. And no, that is not what Baylor is doing: they have the right to establish the rules for property they own--including a public venue such as a football stadium.

And there are some things more important than money. Actually, lots of things.
HomerSpud
Well, systemically continuing to turning a blind eye to a culture of rape doesn't seem to offend our so-called Christian principles, so I can't see why a little beer would.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.