Football
Sponsored by

Selling beer at Mclane

32,912 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by T-REX
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Bear3
Agree. Would have been less than enjoyable for families and others sitting by obnoxious drunks.
T-REX
Bear3 said:

Agree. Would have been less than enjoyable for families and others sitting by obnoxious drunks.
guess you don't attend any away games, big 12 title, nor bowl games. Beer sold at all those
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
historian
I've been to plenty of away games over the years & can personally attest to the obnoxious behavior of drunken Texas fans. I did not have as many problems at Rice, SMU, TCU, or Texas State but those are smaller schools & I may have been lucky in where I was seated. I've heard lots of stories over the years.

Also, I was at a Texas Rangers game several years ago when a drunk in my row barfed on the person in front of him. I was far enough away not to see it but undoubtedly it was a miserable experience for everyone within a radius, not just the direct victim. It least that's what my friends who were closer said. I wonder how often this kind of thing happens.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ArmBarn
Can personally vouch that the idea of over drinking at
the tailgate or sneaking hard liquor into the stadium as a way to get around the lack of (lower ABV) beer being sold are very real strategies for the student body/younger alumni base. Blew my mind the first time sitting in the suite level and seeing a seemingly endless supply of alcohol stocked in the fridges. These days I don't really care much about whether or not I can drink at the game but I definitely cared when I was a student and recent graduate.

Baylor's approach to handling alcohol consumption by their student body is archaic and borderline irresponsible. This is just one of multiple areas where it would be better to regulate consumption in a responsible way rather than pretend it doesn't/can't happen.
T-REX
historian said:

I've been to plenty of away games over the years & can personally attest to the obnoxious behavior of drunken Texas fans. I did not have as many problems at Rice, SMU, TCU, or Texas State but those are smaller schools & I may have been lucky in where I was seated. I've heard lots of stories over the years.

Also, I was at a Texas Rangers game several years ago when a drunk in my row barfed on the person in front of him. I was far enough away not to see it but undoubtedly it was a miserable experience for everyone within a radius, not just the direct victim. It least that's what my friends who were closer said. I wonder how often this kind of thing happens.
all of those schools you listed sell beer at games.
Baylor MBA 2023
historian
I know that. I witnessed it when I was there.
T-REX
historian said:

I know that. I witnessed it when I was there.
so then by your own admission you have had few if any issues at multiple schools that do sell beer at games.
Baylor MBA 2023
historian
I have had few & know of more that others have had. Just as I said before.
ScottS
T-REX said:

historian said:

all of those schools you listed sell beer at games.

ewwww
boykin_spaniel
Agree. The archaic view of alcohol is honestly sometimes dangerous on weekends. Sheltered kids having their first experience with alcohol sometimes do stupid stuff like freak about being caught by Baylor PD and proceed to drink and drive.
I can understand and appreciate a dry campus but threatening expulsion over a pull from a bottle of Evan Williams is ridiculous and drives kids away from campus. Have a kid dumb enough to get caught drinking pick up trash along the Brazos on a Saturday instead of sitting in front of a clueless committee and having threatening mail sent to their parents about their supposed grave sin.
Hob Howelll
If true, it is extremely hypocritical to allow beer in the suite levels but not for the lowly common folk. I think they should go all in one way or the other - institute a full crackdown with tailgate police patrolling everywhere for alcohol, or allow it and have a system that limits the amount you can buy. But double standards and nominal rules are not the right way to do this
ArmBarn
boykin_spaniel said:

Agree. The archaic view of alcohol is honestly sometimes dangerous on weekends. Sheltered kids having their first experience with alcohol sometimes do stupid stuff like freak about being caught by Baylor PD and proceed to drink and drive.
I can understand and appreciate a dry campus but threatening expulsion over a pull from a bottle of Evan Williams is ridiculous and drives kids away from campus. Have a kid dumb enough to get caught drinking pick up trash along the Brazos on a Saturday instead of sitting in front of a clueless committee and having threatening mail sent to their parents about their supposed grave sin.

When I got to Baylor freshman year my RA/CL pulled all of us into a study room at Penland and told us he can't stop us from drinking underage but if we do, make sure not to come back to the dorms because if he catches us he has to report us or risk losing his CL stipend and position. Easy enough for a guy to avoid by finding someone's couch to crash on for the night, but a much more complicated and potentially dangerous situation for freshman girls. The safest place on campus should be your dorm room and you should feel comfortable being able to return there when you're at your most vulnerable.

CorsicanaBear
$12 beer from a long line during hotter than hell September and October games has zero appeal to me. Ditto for the same $12 beer from a long line in the ice fog in December. I just wouldn't be their customer. There might be one game a year I when I would want a beer at the game. Late October, early November night game where temps are in the mid 60's and they were serving a decent beer, preferably something local, Brotherwell Waco Town IPA or Act of Faith Tripel (they'd never sell that, ABV too high, but you get the picture) would be about the only time I'd buy.

I'd also buy Coca Cola but they only sell thrice damned Pepsi. So I guess I'll stick with water.
ArmBarn
ArmBarn said:

boykin_spaniel said:

When I got to Baylor freshman year my RA/CL pulled all of us into a study room at Penland and told us he can't stop us from drinking underage but if we do, make sure not to come back to the dorms because if he catches us he has to report us or risk losing his CL stipend and position. Easy enough for a guy to avoid by finding someone's couch to crash on for the night, but a much more complicated and potentially dangerous situation for freshman girls. The safest place on campus should be your dorm room and you should feel comfortable being able to return there when you're at your most vulnerable.

I don't mean to get off topic but I guess my view towards alcohol consumption at McLane is that its representative of Baylor's naive mentality that alcohol misuse should be punished or consumption eliminated entirely to address the risks. I don't personally care much whether I can consume alcohol inside the stadium but I'd bet that changing that would be indicative that Baylor is changing other aspects of how they address student alcohol consumption in a way that increases student safety.
T-REX
The Hound said:

If true, it is extremely hypocritical to allow beer in the suite levels but not for the lowly common folk. I think they should go all in one way or the other - institute a full crackdown with tailgate police patrolling everywhere for alcohol, or allow it and have a system that limits the amount you can buy. But double standards and nominal rules are not the right way to do this
beer, wine, and liqour has been allowed in suites even back at Floyd Casey. Not sure when it began but it pre-dates McLane. Current process is you must submit your request for what ever alcohol you want in your suite for the game by Wednesday I believe. The Baylor Club is who facilitates the orders and stocks the suites based on the request per suite. The only day alcohol is not sold inside the baylor club is football game days. any other day of the week you can access a full bar, including when other sports are playing on campus. been there a few times before a mbb game for example. They simply just dont sell it inside the club on game days despite the club having restricted access to only those who have club seats anyway. So if they did sell on game days, it wouldnt be "public sale" as anybody without a club seat ticket could not enter.

As for tailgating, liquor is allowed at any spot on baylor tailgate property. The only thing that is essentially a rule is tailgates cant sell it to people which is a normal policy across the nation. Those that do allow someone to have a bartender must have a tabc licensed person and who knows what other rules to follow but to my knowledge, baylor doesnt all that at all anyway. also no kegs but again pretty standard for most schools yet nothing is really patrolled, not even at baylor. The biggest concern/thing that is patrolled for is any student organization tailgate. they dont allow alcohol at those but those are all grouped together by the law school i believe so easy to check. However, at least 2 different fraternities set up at Brazos parking and do what they want. not baylor property so nothing Baylor can do about it.

If Baylor tried to say no alcohol at tailgates, the world would burn and 99.99% of tailgate owners would not renew and brazos parking would just increase their rental costs because they are controlled by baylor. nothing would change except more pissed off fans and less revenue which is still the case due to the change to tailgate guys/revel on baylor owned tailgate spots.

Simply put, it is completely hypocritical to allow people to walk around the stadium drinking from liquor bottles and allow the rich folk in their suites to have it while not selling it in a controlled environment in the stadium. 99% of alcohol related issues result from consumption outside of the stadium. people pound a bunch right before going in and then they are wasted. selling in the game helps reduce that issue and due to cost of a beer at a game, most wont buy more than a few. help reduce issues while increasing revenues. plus not only could we get the money from the sell of beer and wine but also a sponsorship deal with whoever we partner with. that is where the real money is.

But Baptists are known for being huge hypocrites so what is new. Need to step off the high horse and realize Jesus drank
Baylor MBA 2023
T-REX
CorsicanaBear said:

$12 beer from a long line during hotter than hell September and October games has zero appeal to me. Ditto for the same $12 beer from a long line in the ice fog in December. I just wouldn't be their customer. There might be one game a year I when I would want a beer at the game. Late October, early November night game where temps are in the mid 60's and they were serving a decent beer, preferably something local, Brotherwell Waco Town IPA or Act of Faith Tripel (they'd never sell that, ABV too high, but you get the picture) would be about the only time I'd buy.

I'd also buy Coca Cola but they only sell thrice damned Pepsi. So I guess I'll stick with water.
hydrate or die baby
Baylor MBA 2023
Russell Gym
CorsicanaBear said:

Pepsi. Still the most egregious sin.
T-REX
ArmBarn said:

boykin_spaniel said:

this kind of policy will never make sense to me. Pretty sure we had the same thing at McMurry, I know they did across town at ACU and likely HSU as well. I shared a suite bathroom with an RA my sophmore year but i just made sure to never puke in the bathroom, ect after being out drinking. I never worried about coming back to my dorm and never had an issue doing so but i know that it was a dry campus. maybe it was not their concern if you showed up already drunk, idk. But yes, you should be able to return to what is essential your home and do so safely, not feel like you must find an alternative and risk your safety in doing so because you will get punished for something you did off campus that harmed zero people.
Baylor MBA 2023
T-REX
Russell Gym said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Pepsi. Still the most egregious sin.
unforgivable to be honest, but money talks. Well at least concerning soda. If only we would open our ears to the beer companies too lol
Baylor MBA 2023
Hob Howelll
Interesting. I think Baylor too often tries to make decisions to appease both sides of an issue. Teetotalers that hate alcohol are probably still upset that it's being drank at tailgates and available in the suites, and people who are OK with it are upset that you can't buy it during games. Like, who is honestly satisfied with the status quo here?
GoldMind
CorsicanaBear said:

This post alone shows that high prices and tropical heat are a deterrent.

Baylor treats people like babies.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
T-REX
GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

This post alone shows that high prices and tropical heat are a deterrent.

Baylor treats people like babies.
this
Baylor MBA 2023
boykin_spaniel
Great point on the safety for girls or lack their of. I had a buddy get 30 hours of community service and mandatory lectures on alcohol for having a single Lone Star in his fridge. In the lectures he met a girl who'd been woken up by Baylor PD and breathalyzed because here roommate was caught drunk in their dorm. She'd gone out but responsibly came home to get a proper sleep. School told her, "your body is a container" and she got the same punishment. Talk about a lack of feeling safe in your dorm room.
T-REX
boykin_spaniel said:

Great point on the safety for girls or lack their of. I had a buddy get 30 hours of community service and mandatory lectures on alcohol for having a single Lone Star in his fridge. In the lectures he met a girl who'd been woken up by Baylor PD and breathalyzed because here roommate was caught drunk in their dorm. She'd gone out but responsibly came home to get a proper sleep. School told her, "your body is a container" and she got the same punishment. Talk about a lack of feeling safe in your dorm room.
**** them. Get a warrant
Baylor MBA 2023
ArmBarn
boykin_spaniel said:

A certain religious-affiliated private school in the state that shall go unnamed allows alcohol at student org events. But you have to provide transportation from a pick-up location on campus. To get in to the event you have to have checked in at the pick-up site and have to check-out when you return or risk penalty. And all the safe guards that go with using public venues with TABC licenses are in place.

Contrast that with Baylor's SA constitution that prohibits alcohol at any student org event and extends that to gatherings of multiple members where organization activities are discussed. Yes - you can theoretically get in trouble for grabbing a beer at the bar with your buddies after a chapter meeting. We're talking about all student organizations on campus not just greek-affiliated.

It's a ridiculous standard for a major public institution to enact and as someone that worked closely with the Student Activities and Affairs offices made it practically impossible for us to try to build a positive working relationship between organizations and Student Activities.

It's been really encouraging to see the way our university responded to the sexual assault scandals but I still fear there are policies and mentalities put in place by university leadership that add unnecessary risk. Let's find ways to ensure students and alumni are consuming alcohol responsibly on campus, off campus, and at sporting events. Banning it and zero tolerance punishment aren't the answer.
Aliceinbubbleland
The ridicule concerning fans at other places is typical of these boards. I've been to too many UT games to count and spent hours in the alumni center and never once encountered someone who couldn't handle their alcohol.

A lot of the problems we encountered during the Briles era was students spreading their wings for the first time and being ridiculous like the guy someone said spewed at a Rangers game. Those are not usually drunks but punks.

I do agree drinking would probably be a problem in Waco because a lot of those would be drinkers are virgins.

I've been to too many LSU games to count and the drunks are a fixture but they are usually very behaved and I've never seen one spew on a fellow fans.
historian
I've never been there but I've heard stories that LSU fans in the upper deck will pee on opposing fans below. I don't know if that's because they were drunk or just plain stupid.
T-REX
historian said:

I've never been there but I've heard stories that LSU fans in the upper deck will pee on opposing fans below. I don't know if that's because they were drunk or just plain stupid.
dont believe everything you hear on the internet
Baylor MBA 2023
Space Cutter
Beer at Baylor football games?

So we want to be like UT which by the way most people want that school to leave. Or we want to be like TCU? That's a school who can't bring themselves to say Christian as in Texas Christian University.

Drink your drinks outside but Baylor games are family friendly entertainment. The foul language, rude behavior, & generally stupid comments I heard from the Texas State U. Students made me never want to attend any of their games again.

Baylor was founded on Christian principles and has been special for years. Baylor is different because fans don't have to be idiots all the time. Got nothing against drinking but let's be ok with keeping it in moderation & out of Baylor football games. That's money Baylor doesn't need.
historian
Of course not.

I don't think I heard it on the internet. That doesn't necessarily make it more believable. But I do know that lots of people do all kinds of stupid things when they are drunk. There are far too many examples of that all the time.
historian
Well said.

Baylor should maintain a higher standard. No need to be lemmings & do what everyone else does.
T-REX
Beer and liquor is already available at games lol. It is hypocritical to say well you donate 50k a year for your suite so u can have a case of vodka during the game but the guy who only donates 1k has to stick to water and Pepsi products. A full bar is operated every day of the week inside mclane except when a fball game is taking place at home.

Selling alcohol does not make a game less family friendly. Otherwise you are saying that 99% of stadiums in college sports and every pro stadium is not family friendly which is bull. People drinking beer at a game has little to no impact on what you see and hear during it. If someone is drunk and throws up, there is a 99.9% chance that they entered the stadium as such. The likelihood of someone getting wasted on $10 bud lights is less likely than me running a sub 5.5 second 40.

And if you think selling it will equal a bunch of fans screaming and cussing, that happens anyway. Baylor fans need to get off their high horse and get out of the bubble. Nothing that is said by a fan at a game is worse than what your kids are hearing and saying at school amongst their friends and listening and watching on YouTube every day.

Drinking ain't a sin. It never has been and never will be. Stop the hypocrisy of allowing richer folks drink as much as they want during a game, selling it the other 6 days of the week during the fall and on game days when away, and allowing it to flow unrestricted a few 100 feet away from the stadium gates. It is the typical hypocrisy of not only Baylor leadership but also the entire southern Baptist organization and really Christianity as a whole.

Act like something doesn't exist while allowing it to exist within certain parameters that pleases you. Yall do realize the only reason tailgating exists at Baylor now is because the athletic dept realized the amount of money that is missed out on by not selling tailgate spots and the improved game day atmosphere attracts more fans equaling more financial support. Baylor didn't just wake up 1 day and say hey let's allow tailgating now just cause it seems fun. Same for suites. They realize people aren't gonna pay the 100k or whatever it is a year to have one if they aren't allowed to drink. So don't act like Baylor isn't already putting money first. Hell we had alcohol sales at the official Baylor peprally at the sugar bowl.

Selling beer at concessions is controlled, brings in more revenues which we will need after tv contracts are redone, & actually promotes a safer environment because folks don't binge drink right before going inside. And the cost of the beer self regulates. You don't want to drink, then stick to your soda. Just don't act like alcohol is evil nor creates a worse environment. I have had nothing but great times at every stadium in the big 12 including West Virginia & had a great time at Texas state. Threw a tailgate and had a blast sitting on the 50 in the middle of their big money seats. Only bad part was our on field performance but we won. Can't wait to whoop their ass in September
Baylor MBA 2023
T-REX
Space Cutter said:

Beer at Baylor football games?

So we want to be like UT which by the way most people want that school to leave. Or we want to be like TCU? That's a school who can't bring themselves to say Christian as in Texas Christian University.

Drink your drinks outside but Baylor games are family friendly entertainment. The foul language, rude behavior, & generally stupid comments I heard from the Texas State U. Students made me never want to attend any of their games again.

Baylor was founded on Christian principles and has been special for years. Baylor is different because fans don't have to be idiots all the time. Got nothing against drinking but let's be ok with keeping it in moderation & out of Baylor football games. That's money Baylor doesn't need.
Hope u don't sit near our students at games then, otherwise your mind will explode. They aren't reciting Bible verses to the opposing teams.
Baylor MBA 2023
T-REX
I'll keep getting drunk before games, walking to the gate with 2 beers in hand, finishing them then walking in, and then drinking what I brought in. Baylor could make more money off me if they just sold beer but until then, I'll keep drinking liquor during the games
Baylor MBA 2023

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.