Football
Sponsored by

Selling beer at Mclane

32,870 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by T-REX
JumboShrimper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will there ever be real (not fake) beer sales at Mclane one day? Maybe our Christian ideology will prevent us from this extra revenue but why not? Even if it's just 3 beers max per person. Cut it off in the mid 3rd quarter.
Sampi82
Positive Bear said:

Will there ever be real (not fake) beer sales at Mclane one day? Maybe our Christian ideology will prevent us from this extra revenue but why not? Even if it's just 3 beers max per person. Cut it off in the mid 3rd quarter.
Doubtful. When there is a Baylor event anywhere near the Bear Club, not only must all liquor be put away but the keg handles must be removed as well and hidden. I don't believe the bar in the Bear Club is open on game days.
Russell Gym
It's Baptist ideology you have to watch out for. I'm not sure all Christian denominations are as strict on alcohol as Baptists.

Having said that, I suspect we are 50-75 years away from in-game alcohol sales. Or more.
ScrappyPaws
Positive Bear said:

Give it another decade and maybe. I wish they would, it might keep this guy I know from consuming quite so much before he leaves the tailgate.
beardoc
Russell Gym said:

It's Baptist ideology you have to watch out for. I'm not sure all Christian denominations are as strict on alcohol as Baptists.
At Valparaiso (a Lutheran school), their fight song is "Beer Barrel Polka".
bum
I don't think they will sell beer at McLane but is it really a big deal?

You can get beer a lot cheaper at the tailgates before and after the game. But you can also sneak it in with a little ingenuity. I feel sorry for people that can't figure out how to sneak in alcohol into sporting events. I don't know how they are going to survive when 30 million North Koreans invade this country.
GhettoHEBear
bum said:

I don't think they will sell beer at McLane but is it really a big deal?

You can get beer a lot cheaper at the tailgates before and after the game. But you can also sneak it in with a little ingenuity. I feel sorry for people that can't figure out how to sneak in alcohol into sporting events. I don't know how they are going to survive when 30 million North Koreans invade this country.
It's about as big a deal as the fact that we couldn't dance at Minglewood Bowl when I was a student.

And tell Kim Jong Un to bring. it. on.

Ghetto has his M4 locked and loaded.
Nguyen One Soon
beardoc said:

Russell Gym said:

Lutherans and Episcopalians drink, Baptists and Methodists don't. But where you find four Baptists, you'll find a fifth. Contracting with the Baylor Club was done so to put distance between booze and Baylor.
PartyBear
My understanding is that alcohol sales from Baylor club cease at home kick offs and that is a Big XII rule. For some reason the BMDs are still getting alcohol in their suites during the games. Because it was not purchased after kick off.
Sampi82
PartyBear said:

My understanding is that alcohol sales from Baylor club cease at home kick offs and that is a Big XII rule. For some reason the BMDs are still getting alcohol in their suites during the games. Because it was not purchased after kick off.
Is that a Big XII rule due to the Baylor Club being a private club that is operated by a 3rd party along with no alcohol sales to the general public during the game?

UT has been selling beer to the general public during games since 2015.
boognish_bear
D. C. Bear
boognish_bear said:

Alcohol is not my thing, but that's enough to make me sneak hard liquor into the games!
Roy Rogers
Baptists substitute grape juice for wine during the Lord's Supper. Do you really think Baylor is going to allow alcohol sales on campus???

I'm still a bit surprised they've backed off crackdown at tailgates.
"Sic em yesterday, sic em today, sic em forever"
historian
I don't think it will happen any time soon, if ever. What is surprising to me is that one can easily find people with beer on game day. They may not be flaunting it as if they were Longhorns, but it's pretty obvious that the can peaking out of their koozie is not a Coke or Dr. P. And if you watch enough hype videos featuring the fans, it's pretty obvious that they, too, have their beer bottles or cans. Of course, Baylor cannot do anything about private tailgating or sailgating. Maybe it does not matter too much. Personally, I hope we never see it at McLane. We really don't need drunks ruining a game for some impressionable young fans & their families.
Gunny Hartman
There's no Big 12 rule at play here. TCU has a fully stocked bar open in their club all throughout the game. I imagine all the state schools do as well. This is just a Baylor thing. But God forbid the BMD's not have alcohol in their suites.
2ndguesser
Not gonna happen.
DaRealBears
Nguyen One Soon said:

beardoc said:

Russell Gym said:

Lutherans and Episcopalians drink, Baptists and Methodists don't. But where you find four Baptists, you'll find a fifth. Contracting with the Baylor Club was done so to put distance between booze and Baylor.

Methodists don't drink? Wow, I never knew that, and I was raised Methodist.
80sBEAR
No. According to the Baylor BOR, Baylor students don't even have premarital sex. Beer is light years away.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Gunny Hartman
I thought the beer came before sex
GoldMind
Russell Gym said:

Having said that, I suspect we are 50-75 years away from in-game alcohol sales. Or more.

Which is comical, Waco appears to be mostly baptist. And there's a liquor/beer store every 10 feet.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
BealBear
Unfortunately our admin will probably not be insiteful enough to ever let this happen. Sucks because it is a great revenue stream and you don't have to waste a ticket going back to tailgate.
RegentCoverup
Drayton has said on more than one occasion that he supports it.
Hutch
Sampi82 said:

PartyBear said:

Is that a Big XII rule due to the Baylor Club being a private club that is operated by a 3rd party along with no alcohol sales to the general public during the game?

UT has been selling beer to the general public during games since 2015.

UT has had sold beer and alcohol for a while in the clubs. I think 2015 they started offering to the whole stadium. We had beers there watching RG3's freshman year.
Judge
Sampi82 said:

Positive Bear said:

Doubtful. When there is a Baylor event anywhere near the Bear Club, not only must all liquor be put away but the keg handles must be removed as well and hidden. I don't believe the bar in the Bear Club is open on game days.
That sounds like a Middle East viewpoint. Think Saudi
RightRevBear
I am a Baptist minister who drinks. In fact, I talked to another Baptist minister about a brewery in Abilene at church today.

Baylor is not SBC, but its board is being taken over by them. The SBC is hypocritical on this issue because they officially condemn drinking, but 46% of them drink. They are stuck on a legalistic belief system that is not Biblical. This belief did not have much support until the Temperance movement. This theology makes Jesus a sinner. I think we can all agree that is bad theology.
D. C. Bear
RightRevBear said:

I am a Baptist minister who drinks. In fact, I talked to another Baptist minister about a brewery in Abilene at church today.

Baylor is not SBC, but its board is being taken over by them. The SBC is hypocritical on this issue because they officially condemn drinking, but 46% of them drink. They are stuck on a legalistic belief system that is not Biblical. This belief did not have much support until the Temperance movement. This theology makes Jesus a sinner. I think we can all agree that is bad theology.

You probably condemn sin, but you, me and 100 percent of your congregants sin. That doesn't make you a hypocrite, that makes you a human.

Theology aside, alcohol is a horrible problem in our society. We lose the equivalent of two 747s every month to drunk drivers and sexual assault often goes hand in hand with alcohol. The CDC estimates we lose about $250 billion a year due to problems associated with alcohol use. That's a lot of dead people and a lot of money.
BearN
D. C. Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

You probably condemn sin, but you, me and 100 percent of your congregants sin. That doesn't make you a hypocrite, that makes you a human.

Theology aside, alcohol is a horrible problem in our society. We lose the equivalent of two 747s every month to drunk drivers and sexual assault often goes hand in hand with alcohol. The CDC estimates we lose about $250 billion a year due to problems associated with alcohol use. That's a lot of dead people and a lot of money.

I'm thinking the RightRev has the following scriptures in mind about Baptists having incorrect doctrine. (And by Baptists, I mean the official stance held over from the Pharisaical Temperance movement, not what most of them who have studied these scriptures personally know to be true.)

" be ye not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but rather, be ye filled with the Holy Spirit."

Doesn't say not to drink. Says not to get drunk. So....adding to the scriptures is actually a pretty big no no in the last chapter of Revelation, and what the Serpent did when he tempted Eve in the garden, which started all this mess.

Also, the Apostle Paul advised Timothy to have a little wine for his stomach. The Greek is wine, not grapejuice, although some argue it was weaker back then.

And of course, Jesus turned water in to wine (not grapejuice) at the wedding in Cana.

In other words, the Bible teaches getting drunk and losing control to alcohol is a sin. Drinking alcohol in moderation is not a sin.

I'm not necessarily replying to you, you probably know all this already. Just my .03 cents

#ThingsOnlyDiscussedByBaylor

.....and for the art lovers...

The Wedding in Cana by Paolo Veronese in 1563. At the Louvre

RightRevBear
D.C. Bear you are correct that we all sin. Lord knows that I have. Thankfully I worship a God of grace and love. I also think that we can all be hypocritical in some ways because we proclaim one thing and then do another. Two things I would like to say to the comment you made:

1. While some SBC members are hypocritical on this issue because they say drinking is wrong, but they have a stash of beer and wine in a fridge in their garage. I think many of them are forced into an uncomfortable silence because of they do not believe it is wrong, but they fear the wrath of those who do.

2. You make a good point about the problems of irresponsible drinking. That is not the reason why Baylor doesn't sell it though. If it was we could have a great dialogue because I don't need to drink to enjoy a game. In fact, I haven't consumed alcohol at a college football game in fifteen years. I personally get annoyed at the drunk Tech fans at Jerryworld, and I refuse to pay that much for cheap beer.

The reason they don't sell alcohol is because of the image they want to uphold to certain sects. Also, some of the board members would have a lot of explaining to do when they went to church at Prestonwood the next day.
D. C. Bear
BearN said:

D. C. Bear said:

RightRevBear said:

I'm thinking the RightRev has the following scriptures in mind about Baptists having incorrect doctrine. (And by Baptists, I mean the official stance held over from the Pharisaical Temperance movement, not what most of them who have studied these scriptures personally know to be true.)

" be ye not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but rather, be ye filled with the Holy Spirit."

Doesn't say not to drink. Says not to get drunk. So....adding to the scriptures is actually a pretty big no no in the last chapter of Revelation, and what the Serpent did when he tempted Eve in the garden, which started all this mess.

Also, the Apostle Paul advised Timothy to have a little wine for his stomach. The Greek is wine, not grapejuice, although some argue it was weaker back then.

And of course, Jesus turned water in to wine (not grapejuice) at the wedding in Cana.

In other words, the Bible teaches getting drunk and losing control to alcohol is a sin. Drinking alcohol in moderation is not a sin.

I'm not necessarily replying to you, you probably know all this already. Just my .03 cents

#ThingsOnlyDiscussedByBaylor

.....and for the art lovers...

The Wedding in Cana by Paolo Veronese in 1563. At the Louvre

Yes, as you suspected, I did indeed know all of that. I missed the painting at the Louvre, ironically, because some in my group delayed our departure for Paris as they were out drinking and couldn't get their sorry butts out of bed the next morning.
Gunny Hartman
To beer or not to beer, that is the question
historian
I spent a full day at the Louvre in 2000 but do not remember that particular painting.
Krieg
If you have to drink to enjoy a football game, is it really the game you're enjoying?

It's 4 hours of your life 6 times a year. I don't see how anyone can miss drinking that much that they have to have it in those 4 hours. Let Baylor be what Baylor wants to be, and that's a dry campus. Same goes for tobacco on campus, too.
Ludwig von Missi
Krieg said:

If you have to drink to enjoy a football game, is it really the game you're enjoying?

It's 4 hours of your life 6 times a year. I don't see how anyone can miss drinking that much that they have to have it in those 4 hours. Let Baylor be what Baylor wants to be, and that's a dry campus. Same goes for tobacco on campus, too.
While I don't personally care whether or not we sell beer at games, this is kind of a silly argument. So people should only hope for stadium amenities that they can't go without for 4 hours?
PLSQL_BEAR
Quote:

Which is why Dr. Lester gave Him a "B".
PartyBear
What is weird is that during away games they throw big parties opened to the members at the Baylor Club the game is being viewed on every screen all over the place and drink specials occur like 1 dollar margaritas with every touchdown. etc. It is slightly stupid to not sell booze during home games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.