Football
Sponsored by

Oregon plan B Austin Novosad

36,403 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by boognish_bear
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IowaBear said:

Buckle up Mitch, gonna be a wild ride
Turnovers in the red zone, fumbling the ball right to the other team so they can waltz into the endzone, and missing wide open receivers on a critical down are like crack to me. I can't get enough of it.
PartyBear
I'm going to keep repeating this. I'm convinced we don't know what we are doing anbout NIL And are way behind in the new NIL landscape. By we, I'm talking now at Mack Rhoades and higher levels.

Not understanding and taking seriously the new era of great facilities and big time $$ to coaches in the 90s is what sent us to the dark ages.
Art_E_Guinn
BaylorGuru said:

If he flips, fans need to wake up and hold aranda and co accountable. No back up plan and a lot of issues behind the scenes. Can't wait for the boomer Baylor fans to say "back in my day we were happy just have a 4 star consider us".
pretty sure Baylor was pulling in 4 and 5-star skill players left and right in the late 80s and early 90s. i wasn't around then, but you can go back and see the old recruiting rankings and Baylor had multiple top 10 QBs and RBs under Reedy and Dave Roberts.
IowaBear
Or how about intentionally sliding short of the marker on 3rd down against the #3 team in the country when 1 st down wins it?
Mitch Henessey
IowaBear said:

Or how about intentionally sliding short of the marker on 3rd down against the #3 team in the country when 1 st down wins it?
Yes! Inject it straight into my veins!
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

I'm going to keep repeating this. I'm convinced we don't know what we are doing anbout NIL And are way behind in the new NIL landscape. By we, I'm talking now at Mack Rhoades and higher levels.

Not understanding and taking seriously the new era of great facilities and big time $$ to coaches in the 90s is what sent us to the dark ages.

Do you believe that even if Baylor's NIL was more organized that it could beat out Oregon's NIL for a high profile recruit that both programs -really- want were Oregon staff has a pre-existing connection to the recruit??
PartyBear
I am hard on Bell and the staff about this the most because they are our staff as of right now still. But I have to say Novosad and his family handled this all as shxtty as a kid and family can handle it. When your word is nothing for two years, you aren't very strong in the character department in fact you are trash. Bell and Grimes should never have put us into a position where a kid and his family's word is running the show. That is fireable mismanagement
Russell Gym
Locked in, indeed.
Harrison Bergeron
PartyBear said:

Who cares about football and NIL. We've been focusing on key issues like removing 100-year-old statues to solve t'racism.
PartyBear
Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

Do you believe that even if Baylor's NIL was more organized that it could beat out Oregon's NIL for a high profile recruit that both programs -really- want were Oregon staff has a pre-existing connection to the recruit??

It is essential to be at a competitive level just like our coaching salaries and facilities. That is what I mean. So yes we need to figure out we need to play the slush fund game like everyone else to compete. Not taking that seriously is going to take us back to a dark place. That is something that needs to be recognized here and learned today.
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

New Pac 12 - 1
New Big 12 - 0

Highly embarrassing for both Baylor and the new Big 12. Wilner, Canzano, Mandel and others are gonna have a field day with this. Sheesh.
Oregon's program has better resources and has been objectively more successful on the field than ours has. Their highs have been higher and so have their lows. No one nationally will be surprised by this.
DanaDane
Would agree with you in most cases, but not this one. We were able to fend off national programs bigger than Oregon in Ohio St and ND, and 1 bigger in recruiting in A&M. You can already see the reactions across the country in social media. Not a good look.
BearFan33
This one stings a lot. I can't believe NIL is motivation having passed on offers form Ohio State and big dollar aggie. We really needed him.
IowaBear
You think this is a bad look. Wait until tomm when we show up unmotivated and getting throttled by Air Force… program is in an interesting spot right now
Aberzombie1892
DanaDane said:

Would agree with you in most cases, but not this one. We were able to fend off national programs bigger than Oregon in Ohio St and ND, and 1 bigger in recruiting in A&M. You can already see the reactions across the country in social media. Not a good look.
The above is why I believe that this is more of a Will Stein related issue than a pure money or QB development related one.
True Grit
I am late to the party and cannot believe this kid is going to Oregon. I thought he was a 100% lock for us. The biggest problem I see is that our entire QB plan and recruiting was based on his decision to come to BU. I guess we are hitting the transfer portal now? This is terrible news. And... who is Will Stein?
Quinton
Didn't expect to see this. Aranda in trouble now as the program has the worst qb position room of almost any high D1. 1 serviceable qb and no depth. It isn't like the 1 qb was special and all are leaving behind him. Not good.. need a real transfer but that is NIL game.

Outside of any NIL, The player felt way more comfortable and confident in Oregon's offense and qb development. Need a new qb coach and Aranda needs to get the energy up quick.
Futbol Bear
Do you know who is surprised by this? The BU coaching staff.
robby44
bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

New Pac 12 - 1
New Big 12 - 0

Highly embarrassing for both Baylor and the new Big 12. Wilner, Canzano, Mandel and others are gonna have a field day with this. Sheesh.
Oregon's program has better resources and has been objectively more successful on the field than ours has. Their highs have been higher and so have their lows. No one nationally will be surprised by this.

They recently put Justin Herbert in the League as 1st round pick. Bo Nix will likely be a nice pick.
These kids nowadays are looking to see how they can level up and and most likely they are noticing Baylor is not the spot for quarterbacks
parch
The fact that he did this now, literally hours before the conclusion of signing day and weeks before he was supposed to show on campus when we crafted the entire class around him, is trash. Low character move.

I think we can be plenty disappointed at Bell and Aranda but the kid made the call.
robby44
BearFan33 said:

This one stings a lot. I can't believe NIL is motivation having passed on offers form Ohio State and big dollar aggie. We really needed him.

The motivation isn't NIL
Its do i want to be the next Justin Herbert or Bo Nix or do i want to be another Blake Shapen
IowaBear
Hope the kid is ready for competition because Oregon has an awfully talented kid behind Nix whose just a RS Freshman. I said all along Austin was never loyal his recruiting validated that as he never stopped putting himself out there as available to teams and coaches elsewhere
Bear3
Yes. This is on Austin. He gave coaches every indication he was 100% in on Baylor then he does this day before signing. Day. Bell and Aranda spent huge amount of time on him….

Will be interested to see how long he stays at Oregon. Unless Nix gets hurt he will not see field next year. Also being 2000 miles from home and playing in PAC 12 doubt family will be seeing many games.

Really disappointed in kid……….

Also going forward hopefully coaches will not "put all eggs in one basket", regardless of skill of player.
RegentCoverup
These are sad times for young people because they are getting bad advice. And I'm not saying this kid has to go to Baylor, just saying that it's not Oregon. He has no business at that school. He's making a mistake.

You guys give Oregon too much credit. Someone is trying to get even with Jeff Grimes at Oregon for handing them their ass when he was at Auburn. So they made a concerted effort here. They should be bitter. Grimes beat them.

Oregon, without Phil Knight, is basically Boise State. It's a dump hippie school, too far removed from anything to e be relevant but with nice buildings and cool uniforms. You can tell that with the dramatic disparity between Oregon and Oregon State. The state of Oregon is trying to keep it's own people from seceding. Read that again. The women are ugly, the school sucks, and the fans are basically wannabe antifa punks.

I generally pay no attention to recruiting for reasons like this, but this kid is making a mistake.

EvilTroyAndAbed
robby44 said:

bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

New Pac 12 - 1
New Big 12 - 0

They recently put Justin Herbert in the League as 1st round pick. Bo Nix will likely be a nice pick.
These kids nowadays are looking to see how they can level up and and most likely they are noticing Baylor is not the spot for quarterbacks
Justin Herbert played for a completely different staff.
boykin_spaniel
Oregon has played for 2 national titles in the past decade and has a QB similar to RGiii in Marcus Mariota(Heisman winner that didn't quite pan out in NFL). Autzen is one of the loudest stadiums in the country. Knight and his money helped them get their but that's no different than T Boone Pickens at Okie St. Younger kids like him probably see Oregon as blue blood. They've had a helluva lot more success in their lifetime than Texas, A&M, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc.

Sucks Novosad flipped. Doesn't look good on him but looks horrible on our coaching staff dropping all their eggs in the basket of an 18 year old kid. Oregon has a full quarterback room. If he's expecting to be handed the job after Nix leaves he's sorely mistaken. Doubt fellow 4* Ty Thompson hands him the job.

By the way, we should send a note to Ty Thompson.
Mitch Blood Green
Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

I don't think we lost him because of NIL money. I'm sure we lost him because the Oregon OC developed a QB at UTSA.

It's not that money isn't important. It is. But if he can't reach his goals, I don't see a player just taking the money.
Aberzombie1892
Bear3 said:

Yes. This is on Austin. He gave coaches every indication he was 100% in on Baylor then he does this day before signing. Day. Bell and Aranda spent huge amount of time on him….

Will be interested to see how long he stays at Oregon. Unless Nix gets hurt he will not see field next year. Also being 2000 miles from home and playing in PAC 12 doubt family will be seeing many games.

Also going forward hopefully coaches will not "put all eggs in one basket", regardless of skill of player.
For top tier QBs, programs essentially -have- to because top tier QBs (as determined by the recruiting of a program and not as gauge of the player) are unlikely to be committed to a class that has more than one of them
EvilTroyAndAbed
So it's official? He's signed with Oregon?
Bear3
Sure came back to bite us this year.
Harrison Bergeron
Bear3 said:

Yep. He showed his character. I'd be shocked if he ever sees meaningful time at Oregon and ends up at Fresno State.
Mitch Blood Green
Bear3 said:

I don't understand being disappointed in the kid.
RegentCoverup
boykin_spaniel said:

Oregon has played for 2 national titles in the past decade and has a QB similar to RGiii in Marcus Mariota(Heisman winner that didn't quite pan out in NFL). Autzen is one of the loudest stadiums in the country. Knight and his money helped them get their but that's no different than T Boone Pickens at Okie St. Younger kids like him probably see Oregon as blue blood. They've had a helluva lot more success in their lifetime than Texas, A&M, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc.

Sucks Novosad flipped. Doesn't look good on him but looks horrible on our coaching staff dropping all their eggs in the basket of an 18 year old kid. Oregon has a full quarterback room. If he's expecting to be handed the job after Nix leaves he's sorely mistaken. Doubt fellow 4* Ty Thompson hands him the job.

By the way, we should send a note to Ty Thompson.
Oregon, the school and it's fans, are trash. And always will be. Worst behaved college fb fans I've ever seen. We sat too close to the Oregon fans when they played in Jerry World a few years back, and we saw:
  • Open use of drugs
  • Fans flipping off elderly people, profanity, trying to confront people, etc.
  • Oregon fans throwing beer on kids in Auburn gear as young as 12.

Like I said, it's a trash university. The hippies are ruining it. If he wants to go there to follow a coach, that's his business. But Oregon is not some elite academic institution. And that State is the bastion of the Antifa crowd.
Mitch Blood Green
Harrison Bergeron said:

Bear3 said:

Yep. He showed his character. I'd be shocked if he ever sees meaningful time at Oregon and ends up at Fresno State.

Character has nothing to do with throwing a 15 yard post.

I always tell young athletes be careful with fan love. The fans don't live you. You are useful. With that in mind, pick the place that's right for you.
boykin_spaniel
Well that's just like your opinion man. But in all seriousness no need to be bitter towards Oregon fans over this. I would question the coaches here in Waco about why they put all their eggs in one basket.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.