Football
Sponsored by

Oregon plan B Austin Novosad

36,396 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by boognish_bear
Bigkahunaww
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Briles said:

Any updates on the QB pursuit in the portal? I think I saw something about Aranda putting it off until January (which would be absolutely stupid).
Dead period till January 12th
PartyBear
MarcelloSwisher said:

He'll sign, backup Bo Nix this upcoming year while raking in the NIL cash, cars ect. Year after Nix leaves he'll face his first QB competition and promptly run to the portal with his tail tucked between his legs. I've got his type figured out.

His type is little trashy prxck it seems. I never saw any tweet thanking Baylor and the staff for everything they had done during his recruiting and time he was committed etc like you see from everyone else who de commits from a place. (Unless I missed it). Nevertheless this kid and his parents handled all of this about as low class and self centered as possible. If things don't go well in Eugene, I would hope we don't call and if they call our staff. We take the call only to tell them we aren't wasting time on them other than the time to take this call to let them know that.
hodedofome
boognish_bear said:

We brought a butter knife to a gun fight

Yeah the difference with someone like Nike backed Oregon is Nike can actually use these athletes to further their brand. They have decades of experience doing this with pros, and now they have an opportunity to increase their reach in the college world. This is different from the local car dealership or restaurant. This is legit big business, and Nike can justify a huge amount of investment here.

I don't know of another university who can go head to head with what Nike can justify and provide, and actually get an ROI from.
PartyBear
Well it is a capitalist economy. Every other program can band together and go with Addidas or someone.
bear2be2
Briles said:

Any updates on the QB pursuit in the portal? I think I saw something about Aranda putting it off until January (which would be absolutely stupid).
We don't have any choice but to wait. It's a dead period until Jan. 12. By rule, we can talk to spring enrollees seven days before the start of classes, so there will probably be some information about who we're pursuing then.
PartyBear
That would be our own spring enrollees right? I mean we can't talk to anyone else's right?
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

That would be our own spring enrollees right? I mean we can't talk to anyone else's right?
I think you're free to recruit all spring enrollees during that time. The idea is to give those players enough time to get committed and enrolled before classes start.
LIB,MR BEARS
robby44 said:

If its all about NIL then how is Scott Drew able to sign so many impact highly rated basketballers
Does basketball have more NIL money available than football?
Roster size makes a big difference. Also, it takes several impact players on the football field to put a team over the top and just one or two on the court.
BluesBear
Let's be clear - You need more than 1-2 impact players on a BB team....and Drew spent years building this program/culture to finally reap the benefits..

Nike - Oregon is tied because of Phil Knight...when he dies, that connection will look very different.

I want players at Baylor, who want to be at Baylor..not use it as a temporary destination...there are a lot of fans on this site who would have given a left nut or ovary to play at Baylor in these facilities / coaches..
robby44
The top bball recruits in interviews have all said they chose Baylor because of the staff, and the way they develop players.

Regarding the QB position we don't have anyone who can develop a player and make him better than when he hit campus. These kids saw the regression of Shapen
While NIL is huge we have other issues that are making BU a undesirable landing spot for a QB
Daveisabovereproach
Honestly, the realistic options that we have in the transfer portal (eg Hudson Card and Grayson Mcall will be out of our price point) don't come across as significant upgrades over Shapen.

Our current NIL situation is like showing up to a fancy restaurant with 20 bucks in your pocket. You're eating a cup of soup and glass of water for dinner.
WA Jim
I think I now agree with this line of thinking more than the NIL stuff. The QB development has been abysmally bad for years. I would say that all the years under Rhule and now Aranda have seen QBs regress over time. We like to blame it on concussions and injuries, etc. But I think it is coaching. It must be corrected with a new QB coach at a minimum.
Daveisabovereproach
robby44 said:

The top bball recruits in interviews have all said they chose Baylor because of the staff, and the way they develop players.

Regarding the QB position we don't have anyone who can develop a player and make him better than when he hit campus. These kids saw the regression of Shapen
While NIL is huge we have other issues that are making BU a undesirable landing spot for a QB

I agree that Baylor's niche and sales pitch needs to be, "hey, we can't give you much money, but you'll have a great experience and get developed."

I think the schools NIL game can improve, but marginally so. I think we will get to that point where all of our players get what Ika is getting (40k or something), but we're likely never going to do six or seven figure deals like the top 20 or so NIL programs can do.

I think another thing people are overlooking is that these big money NIL programs are making the exact same pitch about having a fun college experience, team culture, about person over player, and about development that we are making. But when our team culture and our development doesn't appear to be significantly better than theirs, we've automatically lost
PartyBear
Why do y'all think this exactly. 20 years ago the same exact thing was being said about having facilities to compete and coaching budgets to compete.

I think it is naive to think we can try to compete without NIL. That is like the old thinking from the 90s that we can offer coaches something unique here rather than money if they come to coach here. We dont need to be paying coaches they should want to coach here for other reasons due to our uniqueness. Coaches who want to be paid arent worth it.

The kids are all hired guns now. No one is going to Texas or Baylor or anywhere else because they grew up being fans or Mom or Dad went there. (I'm talking athletes now btw). They are going to try to go pro and now to get paid. The kids now dont even stay loyal to who they signed with out of high school. Again they arent going to a place because they have always been a fan. They arent even "fans" so to say while they are at a place. Their agenda is different. Fans and alums need to not project their agenda onto these athletes. This needs to be faced. The longer we are slow to get this including our fans based on postings here. The more likely we fall back into an abyss.
sicem2010
Been processing this for a day or two and according to ESPN's numbers, we have a 58/42 percent split between run/pass respectively.

Comparatively, Oregon's split is about 54/46 give or take a decimal. So it's about

The thing that really popped out to me though was that our OL gave up 20 sacks for 130 yards vs. Oregon's 4 sacks for 18 yards.

All that to say that even though QB is the most valued position in all of sports, I think our OL and RB signings are more impactful for the future than Novosad would have been.

We'll hit the portal and find a serviceable backup to Shapen for next year. Probably won't go to a bowl game. But it's not the apocalyptic scenario that some of these posts seem to be describing.

People forget that Aranda went 2-7 in his first year, which is much harder to recruit than going 6-6 (hopefully 7-6) this year.
Daveisabovereproach
sicem2010 said:

Been processing this for a day or two and according to ESPN's numbers, we have a 58/42 percent split between run/pass respectively.

Comparatively, Oregon's split is about 54/46 give or take a decimal. So it's about

The thing that really popped out to me though was that our OL gave up 20 sacks for 130 yards vs. Oregon's 4 sacks for 18 yards.

All that to say that even though QB is the most valued position in all of sports, I think our OL and RB signings are more impactful for the future than Novosad would have been.

We'll hit the portal and find a serviceable backup to Shapen for next year. Probably won't go to a bowl game. But it's not the apocalyptic scenario that some of these posts seem to be describing.

People forget that Aranda went 2-7 in his first year, which is much harder to recruit than going 6-6 (hopefully 7-6) this year.

It's not apocalyptic because the world won't end, but failing to reach a bowl game next year signals Aranda being on the hot seat at least in my mind, unless the benchmark for success is lower than I am thinking? Big money folks like that fudge gentleman that donated millions for a new facility probably aren't cool with a 0.500 coach
PartyBear
I personally think Aranda will be fired if we have a losing season in year 4. Going 6-6 again probably gets another year that needs to be really good. So in a way the QB debacle was somewhat apocalyptic to the tenure of this staff. I think if he keeps Bell it will end up with his own firing.
Daveisabovereproach
PartyBear said:

I personally think Aranda will be fired if we have a losing season in year 4. Going 6-6 again probably gets another year that needs to be really good. So in a way the QB debacle was somewhat apocalyptic to the tenure of this staff. I think if he keeps Bell it will end up with his own firing.

I think there are some big money folks that want bell here and got him hired initially by Rhule's staff. I think he was one of those proverbial culture guys that coaches likes to keep around even if they don't bring much to the table in terms of coaching.
PartyBear
If the BMDs are picking the staff then be ready for a repeat of the late 90s to late 00s again. I would hope they had learned from micromanaging us into that era.
Quinton
hodedofome said:

boognish_bear said:

Yeah the difference with someone like Nike backed Oregon is Nike can actually use these athletes to further their brand. They have decades of experience doing this with pros, and now they have an opportunity to increase their reach in the college world. This is different from the local car dealership or restaurant. This is legit big business, and Nike can justify a huge amount of investment here.

I don't know of another university who can go head to head with what Nike can justify and provide, and actually get an ROI from.
Yep.. even Nebraska (Warren) and Arkansas (Waltons) wouldn't be able to compete with that. First they aren't wasting the money and it doesn't fit so naturally like it does with Nike. Geico while good isn't exactly a marketing expert like Nike is. It is seamless unlike some Insurance campaign with the local qb. Not just about raw $s.

Those are by far the top two I can think of as I don't think the tech guys care about ivy / Stanford football.

JTM
Hopefully our players are trying to recruit them then. It's just coaches that are not allowed to speak with them right?
Mitch Henessey
PartyBear said:

Fired??? Talk about being a victim of your own success.

We were legitimately 4-5 plays away from being 10-2 or 9-3 this year. Now, all of those games came down to subpar QB play for us, which is what this entire thread is about, so I get that it's a big problem. But anyone predicting Aranda losing his job in any way shape or form in 2023 is smoking some serious crack. The only way he's not our coach in 2024 is if the wheels completely fall off and we go 0-12 or 1-11, or we win 11-12 games and he decides to leave for greener pastures.
boognish_bear
hodedofome said:

boognish_bear said:

We may not be too far away from needing a salary cap in college football so programs aren't buying their way to the top with nothing to stop them. Oregon will be a run away locomotive if they are tapping in to Nike.
PartyBear
Mitch Henessey said:

PartyBear said:

We were legitimately 4-5 plays away from being 10-2 or 9-3 this year. Now, all of those games came down to subpar QB play for us, which is what this entire thread is about, so I get that it's a big problem. But anyone predicting Aranda losing his job in any way shape or form in 2023 is smoking some serious crack. The only way he's not our coach in 2024 is if the wheels completely fall off and we go 0-12 or 1-11, or we win 11-12 games and he decides to leave for greener pastures.
I didnt predict he would lose his job. I laid out a condition in year 4 in which I think he would lose his job just like you did as well actually in your last sentence.
BearlyBeloved
Marry for love?

Or for the dowry?

That's NIL.
Daveisabovereproach
BearlyBeloved said:

Marry for love?

Or for the dowry?

That's NIL.

Like I said in my other post, schools like Oregon are pitching the same thing we are: a process, development, culture, family atmosphere, character, etc. it's just that all those things sound better when you leave college with 6 figures in your bank
Aberzombie1892
Mitch Henessey said:

PartyBear said:

This. Anyone who believe Baylor will be a perpetual 9-3 (or better) program even in the new Big 12 is going to be sorely disappointed, and, to that end, Aranda is probably fine in the near future unless he turns in two non-bowl seasons back to back.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Why do y'all think this exactly. 20 years ago the same exact thing was being said about having facilities to compete and coaching budgets to compete.

I think it is naive to think we can try to compete without NIL. That is like the old thinking from the 90s that we can offer coaches something unique here rather than money if they come to coach here. We dont need to be paying coaches they should want to coach here for other reasons due to our uniqueness. Coaches who want to be paid arent worth it.

The kids are all hired guns now. No one is going to Texas or Baylor or anywhere else because they grew up being fans or Mom or Dad went there. (I'm talking athletes now btw). They are going to try to go pro and now to get paid. The kids now dont even stay loyal to who they signed with out of high school. Again they arent going to a place because they have always been a fan. They arent even "fans" so to say while they are at a place. Their agenda is different. Fans and alums need to not project their agenda onto these athletes. This needs to be faced. The longer we are slow to get this including our fans based on postings here. The more likely we fall back into an abyss.
People keep saying these things while ignoring that 20-plus good recruits just stuck to their commitments to Baylor without any ridiculous promises of NIL money. Outside of a few kids at the top of our class that left late (and the obvious hole at QB), this cycle was business as usual for Baylor.

The types of kids we've recruited and won big with are still available for a scholarship offer and whatever modest NIL package we can offer them. And if they're treated well and perform well, they're far more likely than not to finish their playing careers in Waco.

The fatalism around this topic and the transfer portal is truly bizarre. Our future success will be based on the exact same thing our past success was -- our ability to identify, recruit and develop Texas talent that was overlooked by the blue bloods. There are hundreds of kids in those ranks who are capable of contributing to conference championship-level football teams. Find them, develop them and win with them.

We're not going to be in on many blue chip recruits, but that's literally always been the case, so nothing changes. We have a niche as an overachieving program with a unique university and program culture. We need to embrace that and use it to our advantage in a time when most universities are leaning into the business side of the sport. That's our way forward.

But it's funny that we just signed a top-35 class -- our highest rated in years -- and people are acting like we'll never recruit another good player again. We've won multiple championships with classes just like the one we just inked. There are still a lot of good, hungry players who respect and appreciate what Baylor has to offer. Our fans need to embrace that and stop worrying about what we're not and will never be.
boognish_bear
I think he's just upset that all teams can now do above the table what he's been doing under the table for years.

Hell....he bought the best Aggy class in history last year. He should be super thankful for NIL.

Futbol Bear
I agree with No QB.

What does BU bring to the table that provides any competitive advantage in recruiting?

BU BB offers a proven National Championship winning coach in Scott Drew & thus, he's able to attract 5* talent.

BearlyBeloved
To those who think NIL $$ is not a big deal:

What would it take to get you to cheer for Texas? TCU?

$10 a day?
$25?
$100? (That's $36,500/year)

Of course, I won't bother asking your price to be an Aggie fan.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

PartyBear said:

To me, the championship bought Aranda five years at a minimum. If we have a couple more like this one, I think you consider going a different direction, but I wouldn't even entertain the thought of firing him before the end of the 2024 season. Hopefully, that all becomes a moot point over the next two years and we have to start worrying about him being poached again because he's having so much success.
wongobear
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

People keep saying these things while ignoring that 20-plus good recruits just stuck to their commitments to Baylor without any ridiculous promises of NIL money. Outside of a few kids at the top of our class that left late (and the obvious hole at QB), this cycle was business as usual for Baylor.

The types of kids we've recruited and won big with are still available for a scholarship offer and whatever modest NIL package we can offer them. And if they're treated well and perform well, they're far more likely than not to finish their playing careers in Waco.

The fatalism around this topic and the transfer portal is truly bizarre. Our future success will be based on the exact same thing our past success was -- our ability to identify, recruit and develop Texas talent that was overlooked by the blue bloods. There are hundreds of kids in those ranks who are capable of contributing to conference championship-level football teams. Find them, develop them and win with them.

We're not going to be in on many blue chip recruits, but that's literally always been the case, so nothing changes. We have a niche as an overachieving program with a unique university and program culture. We need to embrace that and use it to our advantage in a time when most universities are leaning into the business side of the sport. That's our way forward.

But it's funny that we just signed a top-35 class -- our highest rated in years -- and people are acting like we'll never recruit another good player again. We've won multiple championships with classes just like the one we just inked. There are still a lot of good, hungry players who respect and appreciate what Baylor has to offer. Our fans need to embrace that and stop worrying about what we're not and will never be.
This is the best post on this page.

Guys - North Dakota State gets NFL players to go there. You can be confident that we will be able to do our thing. Plus, our rich alumni network is on board with paying for athletics. If we really end up needing a QB fund, a Left Tackle fund, or an Edge rush fund, they can plunk down triple digit millions to set them up. I mean, we are RIGHT NOW building a football facility AND a new Basketball arena. We aren't going to ever outspend Oregon, but we will continue to hang right there with Kansas State, TCU, OSU etc.
robby44
If we had provided Drones with more playing time i don't think he would have left.

The decision to start Shapen over Bohannon now looks like it has created far reaching reprecussions
boognish_bear
robby44 said:

If we had provided Drones with more playing time i don't think he would have left.

The decision to start Shapen over Bohannon now looks like it has created far reaching reprecussions

I think part of drones leaving was him assuming Novosad was coming in. I am curious if he would've stuck around if he had known Novosad was not going to be here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.