Football
Sponsored by

Oregon plan B Austin Novosad

36,390 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by boognish_bear
EvilTroyAndAbed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

We sat too close to the Oregon fans when they played in Jerry World a few years back, and we saw:
  • Open use of drugs
  • Fans flipping off elderly people, profanity, trying to confront people, etc.
  • Oregon fans throwing beer on kids in Auburn gear as young as 12.

Pretty small sample size. Baylor has some horrible fans too. Every fan base does.
RegentCoverup
failed attempt at moral equivocation. Baylor fans in fifty years haven't been this bad. I realize you think I only go to Baylor games, but I've been to 20 years of Texas-OU, five of the better Miami games and more SEC games than I can count. The Oregon fans were the worst. Next time, I'll turn on a camera and call the police, they'll do something stupid eventually. Also, don't expect Jerry World to secure the event. Jerry doesn't care.

I said Oregon fans plural for a reason. They called in the security to let the Auburn fans leave the section. There was about to be a beat down after they were throwing their beer into the auburn section.

And I've got two friends that went to Baylor who were originally from Oregon. Their stories make my experience seem tame.

It's just a drugged up Antifa crowd. If that's your people, go join em.
boognish_bear
Aberzombie1892 said:

Bear3 said:

Yes. This is on Austin. He gave coaches every indication he was 100% in on Baylor then he does this day before signing. Day. Bell and Aranda spent huge amount of time on him….

Will be interested to see how long he stays at Oregon. Unless Nix gets hurt he will not see field next year. Also being 2000 miles from home and playing in PAC 12 doubt family will be seeing many games.

Really disappointed in kid……….

Also going forward hopefully coaches will not "put all eggs in one basket", regardless of skill of player.
For top tier QBs, programs essentially -have- to because top tier QBs (as determined by the recruiting of a program and not as gauge of the player) are unlikely to be committed to a class that has more than one of them

That is part of what is strange about the situation and makes me think it is about NIL money. He's going to a school that has a solidified starter next year and a 4* RS freshman waiting in the wings.

Feels like after next season either Austin or Ty Thompson will hit the portal depending on who is seen as the favorite.
Doc Holliday
parch said:

The fact that he did this now, literally hours before the conclusion of signing day and weeks before he was supposed to show on campus when we crafted the entire class around him, is trash. Low character move.

I think we can be plenty disappointed at Bell and Aranda but the kid made the call.
100% a trash move.

If karma's real, he's got it coming.
franke
Doc Holliday said:

parch said:

The fact that he did this now, literally hours before the conclusion of signing day and weeks before he was supposed to show on campus when we crafted the entire class around him, is trash. Low character move.

I think we can be plenty disappointed at Bell and Aranda but the kid made the call.
100% a trash move.

It's okay to be disappointed in the circumstances, but as a grown adult, wishing bad karma on a high schooler because he chose another school is sad...

For a lot of kids, this is a decision that can alter the trajectory of their life, so why would they take it lightly?

Sorry an 18 year old hurt your feelings.
Doc Holliday
franke said:

Doc Holliday said:

parch said:

100% a trash move.

It's okay to be disappointed in the circumstances, but as a grown adult, wishing bad karma on a high schooler because he chose another school is sad...

For a lot of kids, this is a decision that can alter the trajectory of their life, so why would they take it lightly?

Its not the decision that's the problem, its how he carried out that decision.
EvilTroyAndAbed
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

failed attempt at moral equivocation. Baylor fans in fifty years haven't been this bad. I realize you think I only go to Baylor games, but I've been to 20 years of Texas-OU, five of the better Miami games and more SEC games than I can count. The Oregon fans were the worst. Next time, I'll turn on a camera and call the police, they'll do something stupid eventually. Also, don't expect Jerry World to secure the event. Jerry doesn't care.

I said Oregon fans plural for a reason. They called in the security to let the Auburn fans leave the section. There was about to be a beat down after they were throwing their beer into the auburn section.

And I've got two friends that went to Baylor who were originally from Oregon. Their stories make my experience seem tame.

Dude, you need to chill out.
franke
Is he not allowed to change his mind? There's a reason there is a signing day, it locks you in... anything before that is fair game. Commitments have become more and more meaningless for a while, and while annoying, you gotta respect the decision and the change.
EvilTroyAndAbed
franke said:

Is he not allowed to change his mind? There's a reason there is a signing day, it locks you in... anything before that is fair game. Commitments have become more and more meaningless for a while, and while annoying, you gotta respect the decision and the change.
I don't have to respect the decision. Why do I have to respect the decision?
Doc Holliday
franke said:

He is allowed to change his mind. I thought I made it clear that it's not the decision, but how our program sacrificed and appeased him along with his parents then at the last second he doesn't follow through. If this was his intention, he should have made the decision MONTHS ago.

That he didn't do this earlier is the issue.

The way he changed his mind was a middle finger to CDA and the program. Period.

Ghostrider
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

Aranda does have to realize that his offensive staff. Bell in particular has now threatened his tenure here potentially.
Why is everyone blaming everyone but Aranda? He's the one that just coached this team to a 6-6 campaign off a championship season and is about to go two full years without a high school quarterback signee.

And our defense was far worse statistically than our offense this season. That's the one side of the ball we shouldn't have to worry about with a defensive guru head coach.
Aranda has 20 wins and 15 losses in 3 yrs. One of those seasons was 12 wins. Beginning to think that 12 win season was pure luck using Rhule's players.
Ghostrider
franke said:

don't continue saying you are 100% committed and then change 1 day before signing day. That's like not showing up to your wedding.
RegentCoverup
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Dude, you need to chill out.
hey, I'm just saying a Baylor fan could throw a molotov cocktail into the crowd and still be behind the Oregon fans in bad behavior.

Comparing Baylor to the Oregon trash is absurd.
BUBBFAN
franke said:

Doc Holliday said:

parch said:

100% a trash move.

Sowing and Reaping = Spiritual Law.
Ghostrider
Art_E_Guinn said:

BaylorGuru said:

If he flips, fans need to wake up and hold aranda and co accountable. No back up plan and a lot of issues behind the scenes. Can't wait for the boomer Baylor fans to say "back in my day we were happy just have a 4 star consider us".
pretty sure Baylor was pulling in 4 and 5-star skill players left and right in the late 80s and early 90s. i wasn't around then, but you can go back and see the old recruiting rankings and Baylor had multiple top 10 QBs and RBs under Reedy and Dave Roberts.
no, we weren't.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Ghostrider said:

Art_E_Guinn said:

BaylorGuru said:

If he flips, fans need to wake up and hold aranda and co accountable. No back up plan and a lot of issues behind the scenes. Can't wait for the boomer Baylor fans to say "back in my day we were happy just have a 4 star consider us".
pretty sure Baylor was pulling in 4 and 5-star skill players left and right in the late 80s and early 90s. i wasn't around then, but you can go back and see the old recruiting rankings and Baylor had multiple top 10 QBs and RBs under Reedy and Dave Roberts.
no, we weren't.
I didn't know if that was sarcasm or not.
Dia del DougO
PartyBear said:

I am hard on Bell and the staff about this the most because they are our staff as of right now still. But I have to say Novosad and his family handled this all as shxtty as a kid and family can handle it. When your word is nothing for two years, you aren't very strong in the character department in fact you are trash. Bell and Grimes should never have put us into a position where a kid and his family's word is running the show. That is fireable mismanagement
Then you should be calling for Grimes to be fired, not just Bell. Maybe even the entire coaching staff.

To me, the fault lies on the entire staff, and Baylor's floundering season and declining future outlook (talking about perception, not necessarily inevitability, not to trigger anyone) . Austin apparently had a great relationship the entire way until days ago. Baylor had every reason to believe he was signing today and enrolling early. He saw a better opportunity (in his mind) to what he was looking at in Waco over the past year, and a flashier team with a brand. Can't really blame him, even though it was handled poorly by him.

Baylor needs to put it on paper if they want top dawgs every time.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Russell Gym
I don't begrudge this kid or any other making whatever decision they think is best.

What does make me roll my eyes is the term "Commitment" in recruiting. For both the player and the school. Just call it what it is … a backup plan until I find something better. Don't tweet "100% Locked In," "Hook 'Em Till I Die," etc. when it means nothing and your recruitment is still open.

Nothing wrong with shopping around until you sign, just be up front about it & save your "Commitment" and social media platitudes for when it actually means something.

Best of luck to all kids signing today.
RegentCoverup
Russell Gym said:

I don't begrudge this kid or any other making whatever decision they think is best.

What does make me roll my eyes is the term "Commitment" in recruiting. For both the player and the school. Just call it what it is … a backup plan until I find something better. Don't tweet "100% Locked In," "Hook 'Em Till I Die," etc. when it means nothing and your recruitment is still open.

Nothing wrong with shopping around until you sign, just be up front about it & save your "Commitment" and social media platitudes for when it actually means something.

Best of luck to all kids signing today.

Agree.

We are sending these kids the wrong message. And this scheme of recruiting is deceitful at best. We tell these kids it's guaranteed, easy, etc. Couldn't be further from the truth.
DancinBear09
Lol…this is just pathetic. We have made the wrong QB move at each turn. We let Bohannon walk, don't give Drones an adequate look and he transfers, and now we straight up got cucked by Oregon and Novasad the day before signing day after our coaching staff naively refused to recruit another QB. Our coaching staff deserved exactly what happened. We went from the best season in BU history to an extremely underperforming 6-6 and watched all of our top recruits defect all within 2 months of signing day…****ing pathetic.
PartyBear
Dia del DougO said:

PartyBear said:

I am hard on Bell and the staff about this the most because they are our staff as of right now still. But I have to say Novosad and his family handled this all as shxtty as a kid and family can handle it. When your word is nothing for two years, you aren't very strong in the character department in fact you are trash. Bell and Grimes should never have put us into a position where a kid and his family's word is running the show. That is fireable mismanagement
Then you should be calling for Grimes to be fired, not just Bell. Maybe even the entire coaching staff.

To me, the fault lies on the entire staff, and Baylor's floundering season and declining future outlook (talking about perception, not necessarily inevitability, not to trigger anyone) . Austin apparently had a great relationship the entire way until days ago. Baylor had every reason to believe he was signing today and enrolling early. He saw a better opportunity (in his mind) to what he was looking at in Waco over the past year, and a flashier team with a brand. Can't really blame him, even though it was handled poorly by him.

I said it was fireable mismanagement by Bell and Grimes. Aranda should deal with them or it will be Aranda after next season I think. Premature to go after Aranda now. Bell has been here 6 seasons and has been moved around to various positions and his recruiting no longer justifies his being here.
DancinBear09
PartyBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

PartyBear said:

I said it was fireable mismanagement by Bell and Grimes. Aranda should deal with them or it will be Aranda after next season I think. Premature to go after Aranda now. Bell has been here 6 seasons and has been moved around to various positions and his recruiting no longer justifies his being here.

Bell should have been gone a while ago. He was a mediocre QB and a mediocre coach.
Doc Holliday
Baylor needs to understand CFB is officially a free agent market. Either get on board or lose.

PartyBear
Doc Holliday said:

Baylor needs to understand CFB is officially a free agent market. Either get on board or lose.

Yes Baylor is always slow to understand and grasp when the landscape changes. They were like this in the 90s when it came to facilities and coaching staff budgets as well and that was extemely costly to the entire athletic program.
Futbol Bear
I concur, that kids can & do change their mind - I have 5 of them so I get the picture loud and clear.

What I don't quite understand is how a professional BU football staff gets completely blindsided by the last-minute flip? They do coach kids for a living & understand that kids can be unreliable in their commitments, right?

How do you put all your eggs in the Novosad basked having 1 scholarship QB on the roster?
Not recruiting another QB is inexplicable to me.

Even if our #1 QB was a superstar, there is a chance he gets injured, which would require a backup QB.

I don't like the decision that Novosad made to flip because of my allegiance to BU but I understand that he's a kid. What I don't comprehend is the incompetence or naivete of the coaching staff.
Dia del DougO
PartyBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

PartyBear said:

Blaming it on Bell is just stupid. I'm necessarily not defending Bell as a coach or a recruiter. Maybe he needs to be upgraded. But it's not because he ran Novosad off to Oregon. That was a team effort. I think you put far too much importance on a young qb coach working under an OC that's supposed to be one of the top guys in college football, and a first time head coach coming off a really disappointing season.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
PartyBear
The bad recruiting strategy regarding Novosad, and gambling it all on his signing was actually the final straw not the first. It isnt stupid to be looking at Bell as the front line of this debacle of our entire QB situation.
bear2be2
DancinBear09 said:

Lol…this is just pathetic. We have made the wrong QB move at each turn. We let Bohannon walk, don't give Drones an adequate look and he transfers, and now we straight up got cucked by Oregon and Novasad the day before signing day after our coaching staff naively refused to recruit another QB. Our coaching staff deserved exactly what happened. We went from the best season in BU history to an extremely underperforming 6-6 and watched all of our top recruits defect all within 2 months of signing day…****ing pathetic.
We also lost CJ Rogers when we wouldn't offer him a scholarship last spring. It's been one misstep after another at that position.
BylrFan
At what point do we reconsider our relationship with Nike.

This has PK written all over it

What kid will turn down 1m-2m in NIL opportunities that suddenly turns up.
Doc Holliday
Futbol Bear said:

I concur, that kids can & do change their mind - I have 5 of them so I get the picture loud and clear.

What I don't quite understand is how a professional BU football staff gets completely blindsided by the last-minute flip? They do coach kids for a living & understand that kids can be unreliable in their commitments, right?

How do you put all your eggs in the Novosad basked having 1 scholarship QB on the roster?
Not recruiting another QB is inexplicable to me.

Even if our #1 QB was a superstar, there is a chance he gets injured, which would require a backup QB.

I don't like the decision that Novosad made to flip because of my allegiance to BU but I understand that he's a kid. What I don't comprehend is the incompetence or naivet of the coaching staff.
They probably think verbal trust, integrity and loyalty are real things, when they're not.

Trust is action and following through. We should NEVER trust the word of a recruit from here on out.

boognish_bear
I doubt we will ever know....but curious what the money difference was.

Shapen has an NIL deal. No idea how much it is. Just curious what Austin was told he could earn here versus what Oregon was offering.
Doc Holliday
PartyBear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yes Baylor is always slow to understand and grasp when the landscape changes. They were like this in the 90s when it came to facilities and coaching staff budgets as well and that was extemely costly to the entire athletic program.
That's because the people running the university are tooting their own horn and drinking their own kool aid instead of continuously making moves to dominate, which is primarily at the behest of shoveling out loads of money and keeping up with the Jones's of college football.

You have to put your money where you mouth is.
Mitch Blood Green
Ghostrider said:

franke said:

don't continue saying you are 100% committed and then change 1 day before signing day. That's like not showing up to your wedding.
He was 100% committed until he wasn't. The night before marrying Camila, Princess Diana showed up in a thong.
Mitch Blood Green
boognish_bear said:

I doubt we will ever know....but curious what the money difference was.

Shapen has an NIL deal. No idea how much it is. Just curious what Austin was told he could earn here versus what Oregon was offering.
What if he didn't do it for the money what if (what if) he believes Will Stein in a better QB coach?

Frank Harris: 3,865 yards (297 ypg), 31 touchdowns & ints.
RegentCoverup
BylrFan said:

At what point do we reconsider our relationship with Nike.

This has PK written all over it

What kid will turn down 1m-2m in NIL opportunities that suddenly turns up.
Unfortunately,

This is and was the issue and it will continue to be the issue until college football takes a step back and addresses it.

Oregon only has Nike money. If we were outbid, we basically paid for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.