Football
Sponsored by

Oregon plan B Austin Novosad

35,661 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by boognish_bear
BigCheese83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Like I said before. As much as it feels unfair, this staff is probably gonna have to prove they can coach up a lower rated recruited to play well before we can get higher rated QB recruits to sign with us. Hope they can show that with Shapen this year
FLBear5630
Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

I don't understand the pissing on Novosad before he's played a down.

Our issue isn't him. It's that we aren't getting his level of talent or better.

The challenge is that Baylor has never consistently recruited QBs of his caliber or better (in tracking history), and expecting that to change in a positive manner in the NIL/realignment world is unreasonable. We can all hope for better, but there is a difference hoping/strategizing for a better outcome and criticizing Baylor for not recruiting way better than it did prior to the current world (like OU or UT - programs that it's never recruited like in the tracking era).
BU is going to have to develop players, no question. Any kid that has dreams of 1 and done or 2 and done is not going to a BU level school. The key to developing and keeping in the NIL world is the team has to compete at a high level, such as the Sugar Bowl. Believe it or not, at least I believe, that the TCU getting to the Championship game helps schools of BU's range. They have to know that they can get a shot at the highest level.

I am not sure that I agree with the whole team NIL strategy if BU is going to compete. Sad truth is that you do need some premium athletes and in today's market they demand more. BU can't play at the A&M level, but a more tiered approach is going to be necessary.
Russell Gym
chriscbear said:

Novosad was committed until 5 till midnight then changed his comittment at the last minute for NIL $$$. It stings. Baylor once recruited and signed Tom Muecke/Cody Carlson so it can be done. Also don't forget about Sammy Bickham and the kid from Houston whose name I can't remember. Sicem. Also RG III.

Odell James?
JP1037
Mitch Blood Green said:

We had him. That kept other QBs from considering us.

Then he effed us at the last minute.

Screw him. I hope karma visits in full force. I don't wish injury on anyone but I hope he doesn't play a down at Oregon and his best year ends up making a minor bowl game while playing out his eligibility at a mid major.

PartyBear
Actually it was worse than that our staff did not recruit other QBs while he was lined up at his and his parents request. Which honestly I would think would be somewhat of a fireable decision for the assistant who agreed to that and got the higher ups to bless that when it back fired literally the night before signing day when the kid and family f'ed the assistant they had a relationship with and had been working with for a couple of years at least and the program as well.
Mitch Blood Green
JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Screw him. I hope karma visits in full force. I don't wish injury on anyone but I hope he doesn't play a down at Oregon and his best year ends up making a minor bowl game while playing out his eligibility at a mid major.

We didn't have him. And in today's environment, we no longer have the guys we have.

Everyone is now season to season. To Oregon's credit, they're still recruiting.
LIB,MR BEARS
PartyBear said:

Actually it was worse than that our staff did not recruit other QBs while he was lined up at his and his parents request. Which honestly I would think would be somewhat of a fireable decision for the assistant who agreed to that and got the higher ups to bless that when it back fired literally the night before signing day when the kid and family f'ed the assistant they had a relationship with and had been working with for a couple of years at least and the program as well.
I'd like to see him in the B12 and then see our D destroy him in each meeting.
JP1037
Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

We didn't have him. And in today's environment, we no longer have the guys we have.

I get it. I just don't agree that your word as a man is worthless posturing. Leaving after a year when you believe coaches have misled you still stinks but it is different.

I wish we still had Briles who at this point would likely be naming his recruits at QB. But we don't. And BU leadership went out and hired a guy who wants to run the ball. Decisions have been made above the coaching level that is affecting QB recruiting today and our overall success. It worked out in 2021.

That is a different issue than Novasad. That kid is a punk. He was committed. He "recommitted" after flirting with OSU and A&M. He was talking about enrolling early. Coaches were all convinced he was coming. I think it will come back on him - It usually does. I think this latest Oregon recruit is the beginning of that. I hope so at least.
Ghostrider
No Quarterback said:

It was about NIL and a staff that shows they can develop a guy and put him in the NFL. Oregon has the money, and they are currently doing the latter with Penix who could possibly be a top 10 pick. If you don't have NIL money and you don't have a staff that shows they can develop quarterbacks, the pickings are going to be slim
Yep, and Oregon has the "cool" factor. Baylor use to have it, but then once the Briles saga went down, we felt we had to abandon everything.
Aberzombie1892
JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

I get it. I just don't agree that your word as a man is worthless posturing. Leaving after a year when you believe coaches have misled you still stinks but it is different.

I wish we still had Briles who at this point would likely be naming his recruits at QB. But we don't. And BU leadership went out and hired a guy who wants to run the ball. Decisions have been made above the coaching level that is affecting QB recruiting today and our overall success. It worked out in 2021.

That is a different issue than Novasad. That kid is a punk. He was committed. He "recommitted" after flirting with OSU and A&M. He was talking about enrolling early. Coaches were all convinced he was coming. I think it will come back on him - It usually does. I think this latest Oregon recruit is the beginning of that. I hope so at least.

That's not really accurate because by (1) the time Petty was drafted, it was clear that Baylor QBs weren't that special at the next level and was reflected in the fact that Petty was a fourth rounder, (2) the fact that such QBs weren't drafted highly and weren't panning out in the NFL would result less interest from QBs like Stidham, and (3) whether or not Briles was coach, Baylor wouldn't be able to compete with programs with massive NIL programs for QBs.

Separately, the only person in the nation that can name recruits at QB is Lincoln Riley, and the only one getting closer is Nick Saban with his current run.
boykin_spaniel
Recruits have been making famous last minute switches for years. Part of the game. We got burned this time around. Oregon just landed a 5* QB for next year so good luck to Novosad.
Frank Galvin
Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

That's not really accurate because by (1) the time Petty was drafted, it was clear that Baylor QBs weren't that special at the next level and was reflected in the fact that Petty was a fourth rounder,
Bryce Petty drafted after the 2014 season. 2012 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year-RG III.

Petty was the 4th QB taken in 2015. By a franchise that had no idea what it was doing.
Aberzombie1892
Frank Galvin said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

That's not really accurate because by (1) the time Petty was drafted, it was clear that Baylor QBs weren't that special at the next level and was reflected in the fact that Petty was a fourth rounder,
Bryce Petty drafted after the 2014 season. 2012 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year-RG III.

Petty was the 4th QB taken in 2015. By a franchise that had no idea what it was doing.
The fact that Bryce Petty was a 4th rounder (and not higher) despite all of his success is literally my point.
Mitch Blood Green
JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

It's the new environment. Or at least new for players as coaches will sign an extension and leave one month later.

I give a little more leeway to a commitment of a kid as a junior to a university and his signature on the contract 18 months later.
Ghostrider
Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

That's not really accurate because by (1) the time Petty was drafted, it was clear that Baylor QBs weren't that special at the next level and was reflected in the fact that Petty was a fourth rounder, (2) the fact that such QBs weren't drafted highly and weren't panning out in the NFL would result less interest from QBs like Stidham, and (3) whether or not Briles was coach, Baylor wouldn't be able to compete with programs with massive NIL programs for QBs.

Separately, the only person in the nation that can name recruits at QB is Lincoln Riley, and the only one getting closer is Nick Saban with his current run.
Who cares how our QB's are at the next level if they are fantastic college players? Briles would still recruit bc kids wanted to play in his offense.
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

PartyBear said:

I'd like to see him in the B12 and then see our D destroy him in each meeting.

We have. Home & home with Oregon in 2027 & 2028. He probably won't still be there.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
FLBear5630
Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Who cares how our QB's are at the next level if they are fantastic college players? Briles would still recruit bc kids wanted to play in his offense.

In terms of offense recruiting, Briles is the best BU ever had. Question other things, but in terms of putting up points, the man was the GOAT at BU.

Aranda has not shown he can recruit yet. His success was with Rhule's guys. Aranda needs to turn it up, I understand the type of kid he wants, but he still has to win. UT, KSU, BYU, AF cant happen again this year.
montypython
Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

I wish we still had Briles who at this point would likely be naming his recruits at QB.

That's not really accurate

It sure as hell is accurate. Briles proved he could find and develop guys on a level that most coaches could only dream of doing. Doing that consistently and having consistently winning teams, draws in higher ranked recruits.
montypython
RMF5630 said:

Aranda has not shown he can recruit yet. His success was with Rhule's guys. Aranda needs to turn it up, I understand the type of kid he wants, but he still has to win. UT, KSU, BYU, AF cant happen again this year.
^ This. Are we going to have any starters this fall that were Rhule recruits, or are they all done now?

When it's 100% Aranda's guys, we'll have the data we need. TBH I questioned his support of / decision to let Gerry go. To be fair he put too much air under the ball, but you have to look at what he brought to the team overall. Knowing we lost our top two RBs and #1 WR, you can't dump your veteran QB who can run away from pressure and hand it over to a guy with no experience and turns into the fetal position as soon as he sees a defender. I don't understand the choice to keep Grimes, who muffs up game day decisions and runs a G5 offense. Oh, and shawn bell who clearly cannot recruit nor develop QBs. The Grimes / Bell experiment should get 1-2 more years max.
montypython
BigCheese83 said:

As much as it feels unfair, this staff is probably gonna have to prove they can coach up a lower rated recruited to play well before we can get higher rated QB recruits to sign with us. Hope they can show that with Shapen this year
It's not unfair at all. If a staff proves they can coach up guys and put an exciting product on the field, better recruiting is sure to follow.
Problem is, we've had an anemic offense since Rhule was here. It wasn't a huge issue when our defense was able to pound the other team, but that's not the case anymore.
dave714
JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

250k a year makes a kid change his mind.
FLBear5630
montypython said:

RMF5630 said:

^ This. Are we going to have any starters this fall that were Rhule recruits, or are they all done now?

When it's 100% Aranda's guys, we'll have the data we need. TBH I questioned his support of / decision to let Gerry go. To be fair he put too much air under the ball, but you have to look at what he brought to the team overall. Knowing we lost our top two RBs and #1 WR, you can't dump your veteran QB who can run away from pressure and hand it over to a guy with no experience and turns into the fetal position as soon as he sees a defender. I don't understand the choice to keep Grimes, who muffs up game day decisions and runs a G5 offense. Oh, and shawn bell who clearly cannot recruit nor develop QBs. The Grimes / Bell experiment should get 1-2 more years max.
This is P5, the days of getting 5 years went out with RichRod at Mich. You get 3, maybe 4. CDA needs a strong season.
Ghostrider
RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

In terms of offense recruiting, Briles is the best BU ever had. Question other things, but in terms of putting up points, the man was the GOAT at BU.

yep....Briles would take 2-3* players and have them beating 4-5* players. Amazing what he could uncover and build.
FLBear5630
Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

yep....Briles would take 2-3* players and have them beating 4-5* players. Amazing what he could uncover and build.
Several things there.

First, he had a nice system for creating mismatches and he regularly took advantage, even against down and distance. Many in the sport would not do that and play the percentages. He seemed to have the same Leach concept passing game philosophy.

Second, those players were often 2 and 3 star for a reason, but it was usually not physical skills. That ended up biting him in the end.
Ghostrider
RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Several things there.

First, he had a nice system for creating mismatches and he regularly took advantage, even against down and distance. Many in the sport would not do that and play the percentages. He seemed to have the same Leach concept passing game philosophy.

Second, those players were often 2 and 3 star for a reason, but it was usually not physical skills. That ended up biting him in the end.
naw, the BOR's ended up biting him.
historian
Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Briles was the "quarterback whisperer".
Aberzombie1892
Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Several things there.

...and several of the higher performing players transferred to Baylor because no one else wanted them due to their off the field issues.
Doc Holliday
JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

I agree.

It's not really the decision, but it's how he went about it that shows his true character. That he chose to wait until the last minute, and didn't have to, caused serious damage to the program.

He's a bullet we dodged. He has to compete with much more talented QBs at Oregon now and absolutely will have to transfer out which might land his ass at a mediocre program.
Harrison Bergeron
Doc Holliday said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

I agree.

It's not really the decision, but it's how he went about it that shows his true character. That he chose to wait until the last minute, and didn't have to, caused serious damage to the program.

He's a bullet we dodged. He has to compete with much more talented QBs at Oregon now and absolutely will have to transfer out which might land his ass at a mediocre program.

100%. He's a cancer. We dodged a bullet.
historian
It certainly seems that way.
FLBear5630
Aberzombie1892 said:

Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Several things there.

...and several of the higher performing players transferred to Baylor because no one else wanted them due to their off the field issues.

Same concept, He knew that to break through you need to take chances. All the greats did it from Bear to Bowden to Jimmy Johnson to Bo to Woody, let's not forget Barry...
Ghostrider
Aberzombie1892 said:

Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Several things there.

Na, plenty of schools wanted those 1-2 players we took chances on.
Ghostrider
RMF5630 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

RMF5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

JP1037 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Several things there.

Same concept, He knew that to break through you need to take chances. All the greats did it from Bear to Bowden to Jimmy Johnson to Bo to Woody, let's not forget Barry...
and Saban. Every successful program has.
boognish_bear
QB room may getting more crowded for Novosad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.