Football
Sponsored by

Oregon plan B Austin Novosad

36,367 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yesterday, Oregon flipped this kid from Notre Dame. He's the kid that made the video announcement where he first grabbed the Notre Dame hat and put it on and then took it off and put on the Oregon hat.

Now, he's flipping to Oklahoma. Craziness.

blackie
boognish_bear said:

robby44 said:

If we had provided Drones with more playing time i don't think he would have left.

The decision to start Shapen over Bohannon now looks like it has created far reaching reprecussions

I think part of drones leaving was him assuming Novosad was coming in. I am curious if he would've stuck around if he had known Novosad was not going to be here.
I think this is spot on. I also suspect if Drones had been much of an upgrade over Shapen, he would have been playing. He probably saw he was not going to stay ahead of Novosad.
LIB,MR BEARS
BearlyBeloved said:

To those who think NIL $$ is not a big deal:

What would it take to get you to cheer for Texas? TCU?

$10 a day?
$25?
$100? (That's $36,500/year)

Of course, I won't bother asking your price to be an Aggie fan.

robby44
blackie said:

boognish_bear said:

robby44 said:

If we had provided Drones with more playing time i don't think he would have left.

The decision to start Shapen over Bohannon now looks like it has created far reaching reprecussions

I think part of drones leaving was him assuming Novosad was coming in. I am curious if he would've stuck around if he had known Novosad was not going to be here.
I think this is spot on. I also suspect if Drones had been much of an upgrade over Shapen, he would have been playing. He probably saw he was not going to stay ahead of Novosad.

No quality D1 athlete is going to leave based on the potential of a unsigned high school player. But what he's not going to do is sit behind a very average player for another year
We are operating under the assumption that Bohannon and Drones were worse than Shapen. Unbelievable
Mitch Henessey
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/37691448/oregon-lands-commitment-5-star-qb-michael-van-buren

Looks like Oregon has already recruited over Novosad. You hate to see it.
DanaDane

Following up on Mitch's tweet above. I suppose Novosad will probably show up at TCU or Tech in a year or two. I guess Oregon didn't promise not to recruit any more QBs.
Aberzombie1892
This new QB is in an entirely different recruiting class, so I'm not sure it's a situation where someone could say that Oregon recruited over him:
Mitch Henessey
Aberzombie1892 said:

This new QB is in an entirely different recruiting class, so I'm not sure it's a situation where someone could say that Oregon recruited over him:
If you're anticipating getting a position on a team, and that team recruits a higher ranked player at your position in a subsequent recruiting class, that is the literal definition of recruiting over a player.
BearlyBeloved
Did Novosad's NIL checks already clear the bank?

Maybe that was more important to him??
Aberzombie1892
Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

If you're anticipating getting a position on a team, and that team recruits a higher ranked player at your position in a subsequent recruiting class, that is the literal definition of recruiting over a player.

Generally, recruiting over a player is when that happens in the same class.
Daveisabovereproach
It was about NIL and a staff that shows they can develop a guy and put him in the NFL. Oregon has the money, and they are currently doing the latter with Penix who could possibly be a top 10 pick. If you don't have NIL money and you don't have a staff that shows they can develop quarterbacks, the pickings are going to be slim
Mitch Henessey
No Quarterback said:

It was about NIL and a staff that shows they can develop a guy and put him in the NFL. Oregon has the money, and they are currently doing the latter with Penix who could possibly be a top 10 pick. If you don't have NIL money and you don't have a staff that shows they can develop quarterbacks, the pickings are going to be slim
Penix is at Washington. Bo Nix is the guy at Oregon. He's a midround pick, at best, and that's if he lights it up this year.
Daveisabovereproach
Mitch Henessey said:

No Quarterback said:

Penix is at Washington. Bo Nix is the guy at Oregon. He's a midround pick, at best, and that's if he lights it up this year.

You are correct. I think the guy is underrated, and even still, a mid round pick is better than what the current staff has been able to do at the position
BBWCBear
No Quarterback said:

If you don't have NIL money and you don't have a staff that shows they can develop quarterbacks, the pickings are going to be slim

Hence, main reasons BU lost out???

Out of curiosity, if he does opt out in a year or two (portal) would BU pursue and wonder if he would have interest?
Mitch Blood Green
Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Not to me. That's called recruiting. IMO, you're supposed to try to get the best payers you can in each class. Who you already have is irrelevant.
Mitch Blood Green
BearlyBeloved said:

He says he picked the coach who could develop him. The verifiable results says their coach is better than our coach.
Mitch Blood Green
If Aranda goes into 2024 with the same offensive staff, his seat will be hot. Can't win without players. Can't get players without results.
BluesBear
Novasat might not sniff the field at Oregon....could have been da man at Baylor...
Mitch Henessey
Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Not to me. That's called recruiting. IMO, you're supposed to try to get the best payers you can in each class. Who you already have is irrelevant.
You guys are making my point for me.

He got recruited over. If Oregon had signed Dante Moore last December (#2 overall QB prospect) there's very little chance this newest kid commits. It's pretty clear UO doesn't view Novosad as the future at the position. He's a "nice to have," not a guy you build the offense around, like he would have been here.

I hope that NIL check helps him sleep at night, though.
Mitch Blood Green
Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

He got recruited over. If Oregon had signed Dante Moore last December (#2 overall QB prospect) there's very little chance this newest kid commits. It's pretty clear UO doesn't view Novosad as the future at the position. He's a "nice to have," not a guy you build the offense around, like he would have been here.

Are you suggesting had we gotten Novosad, we'd have not gone after a higher rated prospect for the 2024 class?

Mitch Henessey
Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Are you suggesting had we gotten Novosad, we'd have not gone after a higher rated prospect for the 2024 class?
I'm suggesting that he would pretty firmly be entrenched as "the future" at QB, and that probably wouldn't make it as appealing for other prep QBs to sign here. Obviously not the case at Oregon.

Of course you want competition in the quarterback room, but it's pretty clear Oregon doesn't view him as "the guy."
Mitch Blood Green
Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

I'm suggesting that he would pretty firmly be entrenched as "the future" at QB, and that probably wouldn't make it as appealing for other prep QBs to sign here. Obviously not the case at Oregon.

Of course you want competition in the quarterback room, but it's pretty clear Oregon doesn't view him as "the guy."

Thats probably true. It ignores his goal of being developed. It also assumes new guy beats him out after a one year head start.

Regardless, why should he have been entrenched here? We have got to start recruiting QB to win championships. You can not win the Big 12 with Missouri Valley QB talent.
Aberzombie1892
Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Thats probably true. It ignores his goal of being developed. It also assumes new guy beats him out after a one year head start.

Regardless, why should he have been entrenched here? We have got to start recruiting QB to win championships. You can not win the Big 12 with Missouri Valley QB talent.

This. Hennessy's argument is based on (1) the assumption that Oregon's new QB would automatically win the starting job based on his higher rating (which is unreasonable; see Drones and Bohannon at Baylor or even Mayfield at OU), (2) the new QB is at a baseline objectively better than Novosad and would out achieve any development by Novosad (which is similarly unreasonable); and (3) that Baylor would not continue to pursue subjectively better QBs regardless as to who it has roster.
BigCheese83
Baylor is never gonna have NIL money that competed with schools like Oregon, so if we want to be able to land QB's in the elite 12 tier, our staff has to show they can take low-mid tier 3 stars and develop them into good to great college QB's. Does it feel fair that we should be in this position after 2 11+ win seasons in the last 4 years? No, but it kinda feels like this is how it is. If Shapen looks massively improved (or Sawyer plays well) it should help us in that regard
Mitch Henessey
Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

This. Hennessy's argument is based on (1) the assumption that Oregon's new QB would automatically win the starting job based on his higher rating (which is unreasonable; see Drones and Bohannon at Baylor or even Mayfield at OU), (2) the new QB is at a baseline objectively better than Novosad and would out achieve any development by Novosad (which is similarly unreasonable); and (3) that Baylor would not continue to pursue subjectively better QBs regardless as to who it has roster.
I'm not making any assumptions about how anyone's career is going to pan out. All I'm reacting to is the fact that Oregon is clearly trying to recruit better players than Novosad at his position, which is what being recruited over is.

Why this is so difficult for you guys to grasp is honestly pretty strange to me.
historian
BearlyBeloved said:

If so then we are better off without him.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Aberzombie1892
Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

I'm not making any assumptions about how anyone's career is going to pan out. All I'm reacting to is the fact that Oregon is clearly trying to recruit better players than Novosad at his position, which is what being recruited over is.

Why this is so difficult for you guys to grasp is honestly pretty strange to me.

I guess the consensus from those pushing back would be (1) isn't that what a coach is supposed to do (pursue the best players it can get)?, (2) several programs routinely recruit multiple blue chip QBs over a two recruiting class period, so what's the takeaway here?, and (3) over recruiting at QB is when a team signs a QB and then later signs a substantially higher rated QB in the same class and the higher rated QB wasn't committed when the lower rated QB signed. (3) is over recruiting because the first QB didn't have an opportunity to reevaluate their decision to sign after the higher rated QB was signed/committed.
FLBear5630
Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

I guess the consensus from those pushing back would be (1) isn't that what a coach is supposed to do (pursue the best players it can get)?, (2) several programs routinely recruit multiple blue chip QBs over a two recruiting class period, so what's the takeaway here?, and (3) over recruiting at QB is when a team signs a QB and then later signs a substantially higher rated QB in the same class and the higher rated QB wasn't committed when the lower rated QB signed. (3) is over recruiting because the first QB didn't have an opportunity to reevaluate their decision to sign after the higher rated QB was signed/committed.
Disagree with you on this to a point. In theory, yes Coaches are always looking to bring top talent.

In this case, it matters what was told the kid to flip. If a promise was made not to recruit his position next year and they do, that is a problem.

Personally, I do not think Novosad starts and at some point tranfers back to some program in Texas. There will be some CA, HI, or West Coast kid from a school with a pipeline to Oregon that will get the nod. At that level, pipeline HS matter more than one-offs from small schools half a nation away. Watched it happen in Florida, pipeline schools usually equal big money boosters, they want to see the kids they deliver play.
Aberzombie1892
RMF5630 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Disagree with you on this to a point. In theory, yes Coaches are always looking to bring top talent.

In this case, it matters what was told the kid to flip. If a promise was made not to recruit his position next year and they do, that is a problem.

Personally, I do not think Novosad starts and at some point tranfers back to some program in Texas. There will be some CA, HI, or West Coast kid from a school with a pipeline to Oregon that will get the nod. At that level, pipeline HS matter more than one-offs from small schools half a nation away. Watched it happen in Florida, pipeline schools usually equal big money boosters, they want to see the kids they deliver play.

If that promise was made, sure, but otherwise, I think we can all agree that it's a non-issue.
FLBear5630
Aberzombie1892 said:

RMF5630 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Agreed.

Still curious. Some promise was made to flip like that at the last minute, at least in my experience. The "we are a better place and develop you better" would have made sense during the summer camp time period. That late after the A&M run, something changed the playing field. Not money, if they wanted money A&M would have ponied up. Only thing that makes sense is playing time. Who knows, just one persons read.
robby44
Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Agree
Makes no sense if we were hoping that Novosad was going to be the sole future for us at QB
Jorkel
BluesBear said:

Novasat might not sniff the field at Oregon....could have been da man at Baylor...

He might not have sniffed the field at Baylor either
Mitch Blood Green
I don't understand the pissing on Novosad before he's played a down.

Our issue isn't him. It's that we aren't getting his level of talent or better.
Aberzombie1892
Mitch Blood Green said:

I don't understand the pissing on Novosad before he's played a down.

Our issue isn't him. It's that we aren't getting his level of talent or better.

The challenge is that Baylor has never consistently recruited QBs of his caliber or better (in tracking history), and expecting that to change in a positive manner in the NIL/realignment world is unreasonable. We can all hope for better, but there is a difference hoping/strategizing for a better outcome and criticizing Baylor for not recruiting way better than it did prior to the current world (like OU or UT - programs that it's never recruited like in the tracking era).
chriscbear
Novosad was committed until 5 till midnight then changed his comittment at the last minute for NIL $$$. It stings. Baylor once recruited and signed Tom Muecke/Cody Carlson so it can be done. Also don't forget about Sammy Bickham and the kid from Houston whose name I can't remember. Sicem. Also RG III.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.