Football
Sponsored by

Oklahoma drill

29,407 Views | 291 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by xiledinok
Ubuntu
How long do you want to ignore this user?

If you are in the stands Saturday and see this stupidity persist, please start booing the coaches. The players deserve better than to do this drill right before a game (or ever, really).
Jacques Strap
Not a fan of the recent play and change in offensive style but I would never under any circumstances boo my team or coach. Just how I roll.
Forest Bueller
Ubuntu said:

If you are in the stands Saturday and see this stupidity persist, please start booing the coaches. The players deserve better than to do this drill right before a game (or ever, really).
I disagree with booing, but it is a very stupid practice.

The Oklahoma drill, should be reserved for the "proving" season in football, spring practice, and early fall drills before the starters have been announced.

Minutes before an actual game is not the time to "prove" yourself.
By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
CLBear
Please don't boo the players. That are BU just like we are. The coaches on the other hand, there are ways to reach out to them. Email, twitter, etc. If you want to voice your opinion do it that way. Don't boo the players.

OldSchoolBU
there is a term for all this worry over the Oklahoma drill pre-game. Let me think of it. Oh yeah, MANUFACTURED DRAMA. Quit thinking like cowards and start thinking like champions. Do you want a tough football team? Toughness is a skill that needs to be practiced. You don't get tough without getting used to contact.
The past is last! Be a champion today!
Beaneater
OldSchoolBU said:

there is a term for all this worry over the Oklahoma drill pre-game. Let me think of it. Oh yeah, MANUFACTURED DRAMA. Quit thinking like cowards and start thinking like champions. Do you want a tough football team? Toughness is a skill that needs to be practiced. You don't get tough without getting used to contact.
Thinking like a champion, thinking like a champion, thinking like a champion...

Hey!
We are improving week to week.
We are the best 0-3 team in the nation. Toughest too.
We have one the best punters in all of CFB.
Man, in a few years we are gonna tear this league UP!
Redshirts? We don't need no stinking redshirts! hahahahahaha!
Relax! Rhule is right in his element. He stunk it up his first year at Temple also. We gonna be FINE.
AND: We are building these guys into absolute monsters on the Little Tykes toy JamFest!
REX
OldSchoolBU said:

I prefer WINNING football teams but to each his own.
OldSchoolBU
Beaneater said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Hey!
Relax! Rhule is right in his element. He stunk it up his first year at Temple also. We gonna be FINE.
AND: We are building these guys into absolute monsters on the Little Tykes toy JamFest!

you got some chuckles out of me. But take a valium, we will be okay.
Noghri
OldSchoolBU said:

Dumb post is dumb. This is not a way to get tough. It is a way to wear out your body/impede healing.

How many of the last 15 national champs run this drill?
college or pro
OldSchoolBU
REX said:

OldSchoolBU said:

I like winners also. Briles was a winner on the field no doubt but a loser in managing a program. And that is why we have the mess that we have. But it is okay, Rhule will get it turned around. Just going to take some time.

In the meantime, run along to the Florida Atlantic message board. Congrats on the 1-2 start and big win over Bethune Cookman. That all star defensive coordinator that we used to have is lighting it up at Arizona State I hear. Gave up 52 to a depleted Texas Tech team. Sad.

http://www.fauowlsnest.com/forum/forumview/misc/fau-football.htm
OldSchoolBU
Noghri said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Dumb post is dumb. This is not a way to get tough. It is a way to wear out your body/impede healing.

college or pro
when you get your own program run it like you want to. I don't have a problem with it. Players take on about 60-90 "Oklahoma drills" in a game and people are worried about one more pre-game? I just don't get it. Serious making a mountain out of a molehill.
Beaneater
OldSchoolBU said:

Beaneater said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Hey!

Come on man, guys like us don't need valium. We're high on LIFE, amiright??
Attitude is a decision.
That's right we will be okay--just see items 4-6. Woooo!!

extra points for recognizing the movie reference in my post....
CottonValley
Has anyone ever heard of a team doing the Oklahoma Drill during pre-game, at any level? I haven't! With how thin our depth is, it seems like it's cutting off our nose to spite our face!
REX
OldSchoolBU said:

REX said:

OldSchoolBU said:

I like winners also. Briles was a winner on the field no doubt but a loser in managing a program. And that is why we have the mess that we have. But it is okay, Rhule will get it turned around. Just going to take some time.

In the meantime, run along to the Florida Atlantic message board. Congrats on the 1-2 start and big win over Bethune Cookman. That all star defensive coordinator that we used to have is lighting it up at Arizona State I hear. Gave up 52 to a depleted Texas Tech team. Sad.

Thanks the WIN over Bethune Cookman was big cause the last thing you ever want to do is lose to DII prog....
never mind
BearInBigD
OldSchoolBU said:

Noghri said:

OldSchoolBU said:

college or pro
when you get your own program run it like you want to. I don't have a problem with it. Players take on about 60-90 "Oklahoma drills" in a game and people are worried about one more pre-game? I just don't get it. Serious making a mountain out of a molehill.
Thanks, Thee Jr., we get it. You're a tough old bird and respect how it was done "in the old days", even though players are about 25-30% bigger and stronger and 99% of D1 teams DON'T do this drill any longer.

But you just continue on thinking that Rhule is infallible as we start a new dynasty of irrelevance.
Willie
Booing my team (players & coaches) is something with which I fundamentally disagree.
Forest Bueller
OldSchoolBU said:

Noghri said:

OldSchoolBU said:

college or pro
Hey Old School, is your entire posting schtick now delegated to sarcasm and satire.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
baylorfan1995
Beaneater said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Hey!

This guy gets it.
bobo
We did Oklahoma drill in high school football. Up to the week before season started. Then helmets and shoulder pads the rest of the season. Nothing but conditioning and running plays over and over. But thee will call us pencil necks. Old school might too thing is we sent 2 to ou. 2 to okie junior 2 to Louisville 1 to air force. That was just my senior year. And thee will scream I played the NFL! So did my coaches and guess what brain damaged cte tard,they actually had more than a cup of coffee on the league. One is in hof.

Oklahoma drill is so stupid
HenryTheOctopus
CottonValley said:

Has anyone ever heard of a team doing the Oklahoma Drill during pre-game, at any level? I haven't! With how thin our depth is, it seems like it's cutting off our nose to spite our face!
I have no opinion on the matter, but to answer your question, I did a quick google search and found this video of Miami doing the Oklahoma drill before playing Duke in 2011.

So, is it uncommon? Yes. Unheard of? No.
greggor25
Beaneater said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Hey!

This. I can't believe we haven't made ESPN top 10 highlights with the "awesome" hang time dunks off Little Tykes goal!
BringBackCAB
OldSchoolBU said:

Beaneater said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Hey!

The good ol' "i have no rebuttal so obviously YOU just need to relax" technique.
Dia del DougO
Oklahoma drill in pregame was already weird enough. Oklahoma drill on another team's field in pregame is just really creepy.

Oklahoma drill prior to Oklahoma drilling will be embarrassing.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
BringBackCAB
HenryTheOctopus said:

CottonValley said:

I have no opinion on the matter, but to answer your question, I did a quick google search and found this video of Miami doing the Oklahoma drill before playing Duke in 2011.

So, is it uncommon? Yes. Unheard of? No.

Unironically Miami stunk and that coach isn't the head of any program today.

Edit: Funny enough? That head coach was Rhules boss for 5+ years at Temple. Al Golden.
timetraveler
Because our team still isn't tough enough Rhule is replacing the Oklahoma drills with Russian Roulette.
OldSchoolBU
I swear you all are making something out of the biggest bag of nothing. You act the players are going straight at each other with helmet to helmet hits. They are just wrestling a little bit.

You know who else does Oklahoma drills? Oklahoma. The team some of you fear so much. I guess Bob Stoops was an unenlightened idiot also as he completely dominated this conference over the last 15 years.

I fear for this generation. Hopefully no war or real adversity breaks out when you all are so concerned about a little pre-game wrestling.

RegentCoverup
REX said:

OldSchoolBU said:

REX said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Thanks the WIN over Bethune Cookman was big cause the last thing you ever want to do is lose to DII prog....
never mind
Keep telling yourself working for some people won't raise doubts.
BringBackCAB
OldSchoolBU said:

I swear you all are making something out of the biggest bag of nothing. You act the players are going straight at each other with helmet to helmet hits. They are just wrestling a little bit.

You know who else does Oklahoma drills? Oklahoma. The team some of you fear so much. I guess Bob Stoops was an unenlightened idiot also as he completely dominated this conference over the last 15 years.

I fear for this generation. Hopefully no war or real adversity breaks out when you all are so concerned about a little pre-game wrestling.

"This generation" has been fighting a war for a decade. Dimwit.
LIB,MR BEARS
I haven't read all of the responses so this may have already been stated.

In the first few seasons with Scott Drew, just prior to top off, the team would practice taking charges. I've never seen any other team do that before or since, only Drew's early teams. He was setting a tone for how he wanted his team to play.

I'm guessing Rhule is setting the tone for how he wants his team to play. I'll be shocked if I see this continue in years 4+.

Injuries happen for a myriad of reasons. Whatever injuries occur during Oklahoma drills this year will be collateral damage to the building of a culture.

If you want to remain a sub .500 team for years to come, convince the staff we don't need to work on toughness.

boognish_bear
Can we just combine the 2 embarrassing pieces into one and get it out of the way before the game starts?

Let's put the Little Tykes goal in the middle of the field. Guy that wins the Oklahoma drill gets to dunk balls out on the LT.
robby44
It really makes no sense to do this drill pregame
If all the work hasn't been done prior to game day its too late
All the hard work has to be done in spring and fall
Beaneater
boognish_bear said:

Can we just combine the 2 embarrassing pieces into one and get it out of the way before the game starts?

Let's put the Little Tykes goal in the middle of the field. Guy that wins the Oklahoma drill gets to dunk balls out on the LT.
Yes! Build that culture! Be a Champion today!
Krieg
OldSchoolBU said:

We have 2 classes that are champions of the conference last I checked, and before the current coaches we led the league in rushing every year.

Yep, sounds like weaklings that don't know how to win to me! The rewriting of "facts" by the We Love Rhule No Matter What crowd is just sad.
Krieg
OldSchoolBU said:

REX said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Yeah, those 2 were totally 0-3 last season.

Wait, they weren't?

Nice "facts" there, but maybe if you're going to mislead you should try it on the uneducated. People around here know we're far worse this year so far than we've been since...wait, we've never lost to an FCS team before? Crap, this is the worst start ever objectively, and with a bowl-winning team from last season!
Krieg
OldSchoolBU said:

Noghri said:

OldSchoolBU said:

college or pro

We lost at least one starting OL to the drill and then the coach responsible...wait for it...complains about a lack of depth on the OL!

Facts, again. Sorry to keep telling the truth even when it hurts. Maybe it'll make you "tough"?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.