Football
Sponsored by

Oklahoma drill

29,425 Views | 291 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by xiledinok
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

Were we on our 3rd string defensive line?
TCU was beaten like Greg Hardy's girlfriend on their defensive line and we were dominated by them.
Our play calling was odd and stupid while tcu was hurt and fragile.
Of course, Patterson motivates his team and all of the 61-58 stuff is great but don't get beat by a banged up team the next year. It takes more than a season to earn national respect.

Well, 50 wins in 5 years is enough duration to earn national respect.

That's all gone for now, but hopeful within 3 years real success will be back.
It is if you play some squads outside the conference that are Power 5 contenders.
When I traveled respect wasn't the words to best describe how others felt about us.
ESPN GameDay made an entire script each week to bash on our embarrassing schedule. Remember BEAR and his crack stat team on GameDay? It was pure entertainment but convinced most folks that our schedule was set up to avoid competition and have the path of least resistance to make the playoffs.

Not sure, my friend, why you continue to beat this dead horse. Alabama played Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer in 2017. Things worked out okay for them. And they didn't even win their conference.

Let's learn to beat the Libertys and UTSAs of the world and then we can worry about beefing up our non-conference schedule.

X is more concerned with perception than winning. Not a true Baylor fan.
NoBSU
Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

TCU was beaten like Greg Hardy's girlfriend on their defensive line and we were dominated by them.
Of course, Patterson motivates his team and all of the 61-58 stuff is great but don't get beat by a banged up team the next year. It takes more than a season to earn national respect.

It is if you play some squads outside the conference that are Power 5 contenders.
When I traveled respect wasn't the words to best describe how others felt about us.
ESPN GameDay made an entire script each week to bash on our embarrassing schedule. Remember BEAR and his crack stat team on GameDay? It was pure entertainment but convinced most folks that our schedule was set up to avoid competition and have the path of least resistance to make the playoffs.

Not sure, my friend, why you continue to beat this dead horse. Alabama played Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer in 2017. Things worked out okay for them. And they didn't even win their conference.

Let's learn to beat the Libertys and UTSAs of the world and then we can worry about beefing up our non-conference schedule.

It is convenient for you that old Baylorfans threads are gone. Perception was a huge part of CFP and the discussion over the season. TCU got a lot of mileage over Minnesota. More that that school deserved. The SEC schools rarely took heat for their late season cupcake. We had a hard fall for @WVU. The perception of our schedule and of the Big12 was huge. The conference made big changes because of it:
1. Mandatory scheduling requirement of non-conforming
2. We freaking went through an expansion application process
3. Added a BS championship game.
4. Lame marketing slogan that attempted to promote our champion playing all comers thru our round robin.

Perception was a big reason why neither we nor TCU could close out the CFP and the public never made the committee & ESPN pay for that.
ColomboLQ
NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

It is convenient for you that old Baylorfans threads are gone. Perception was a huge part of CFP and the discussion over the season. TCU got a lot of mileage over Minnesota. More that that school deserved. The SEC schools rarely took heat for their late season cupcake. We had a hard fall for @WVU. The perception of our schedule and of the Big12 was huge. The conference made big changes because of it:
4. Lame marketing slogan that attempted to promote our champion playing all comers thru our round robin.

Perception was a big reason why neither we nor TCU could close out the CFP and the public never made the committee & ESPN pay for that.
If you had switched out Baylor or TCU for UT or OU and switched out Ohio St for Northwestern, do you still think Northwestern gets in over UT or OU?
xiledinok
Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

It's about beating real competition. No one needs to brag about beating the Briles non conference schedule.
It's about beating the top teams. Reputations and proving ourselves as a program was difficult because we scheduled to the point to embarrass ourselves while racking up tremendous offensive statistics against lower tier players. In Briles cupcake world, it was like a 4A beating up on 2A. Looked great on the scoreboard and box score but doesn't move hearts and minds in the direction that we were dominant.

Injuries happen and Rhule wasn't exactly running a full blown Oklahoma drill.
NoBSU
ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

If you had switched out Baylor or TCU for UT or OU and switched out Ohio St for Northwestern, do you still think Northwestern gets in over UT or OU?

Northwestern no. Not sure the Big 12 school representatives and commissioners agree or they would not have jumped thru hoops that I listed above. The expansion search was a joke. So, maybe they were just doing lip service plus trolling for revenue. The championship game could be more for revenue than real concern that OU or UT is left out.

I think Ashley's analysis of winning for MBB at Kansas holds true here. To beat the institutional bias, Baylor can't just be 1 point better. We need to be 6-7 points better.

The Big 12 office capped all over their "one true champion" marketing when they wouldn't let a tie-breaket (head-to-head) settle a conference champipnship. If our league office doesn't believe the motto, then why should the CFP buy it.
Mothra
NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

You're reading a lot into my statement I haven't said. I would suggest just reading what I said instead of making assumptions. Never said perception wasn't important and I was pissed at the cupcakes Briles used to schedule (though scheduling Alabama? Sorry, I would prefer not to take a loss). But constantly worrying about what ESPN thinks, on the other hand, sorry, but I prefer winning to what ESPN says or thinks.
Mothra
ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

Not a chance in Hell. They are going to go with the blue blood big programs. Wouldnt have made a bit of difference.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

It's about beating real competition. No one needs to brag about beating the Briles non conference schedule.
It's about beating the top teams. Reputations and proving ourselves as a program was difficult because we scheduled to the point to embarrass ourselves while racking up tremendous offensive statistics against lower tier players. In Briles cupcake world, it was like a 4A beating up on 2A. Looked great on the scoreboard and box score but doesn't move hearts and minds in the direction that we were dominant.

Well, look at that - something we agree on. I would have preferred real competition as well, but scheduling Alabama? Nope. You don't have to play cupcakes, but you also don't have to play a team which almost guarantees you a loss.

RE: injuries, as I said, if our players are injured in his physical practices, that's on him.
xiledinok
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

Well, look at that - something we agree on. I would have preferred real competition as well, but scheduling Alabama? Nope. You don't have to play cupcakes, but you also don't have to play a team which almost guarantees you a loss.

RE: injuries, as I said, if our players are injured in his physical practices, that's on him.
I think he believes he can sort out the physical guys he wants to play for him from the the guys who won't match up come game time in physical situations. Some guys from four wide open space football might not survive.

That was our problem nationally, we wouldn't play anyone that we could lose to in non conference. The rest of the 64 Power 5 teams did take that risk and weren't criticized for a schedule that was laughable among paying customers throughout college football. Most SEC and Acc teams would have spanked Wolforth or whatever the name of a non conference foe we played.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

I think he believes he can sort out the physical guys he wants to play for him from the the guys who won't match up come game time in physical situations. Some guys from four wide open space football might not survive.

That was our problem nationally, we wouldn't play anyone that we could lose to in non conference. The rest of the 64 Power 5 teams did take that risk and weren't criticized for a schedule that was laughable among paying customers throughout college football. Most SEC and Acc teams would have spanked Wolforth or whatever the name of a non conference foe we played.
With regard to your second point, that is certainly a very legitimate criticism of Briles. I hated the powder puff schedule. Scheduling other power 5 opponents would have been a good start. But I don't think you have to play the likes of Alabama to get respect. I understand not wanting to schedule a team you have a good chance of losing to, and torpedoing your playoff chances early in the season.

As for Rhule, like I said, I am fine if he wants to weed players out.. But if he does that, he can't complain about injuries and being thin. That is not a legitimate excuse when his own actions are the cause for the attrition.
xiledinok
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

With regard to your second point, that is certainly a very legitimate criticism of Briles. I hated the powder puff schedule. Scheduling other power 5 opponents would have been a good start. But I don't think you have to play the likes of Alabama to get respect. I understand not wanting to schedule a team you have a good chance of losing to, and torpedoing your playoff chances early in the season.

As for Rhule, like I said, I am fine if he wants to weed players out.. But if he does that, he can't complain about injuries and being thin. That is not a legitimate excuse when his own actions are the cause for the attrition.
I am not sure his own actions caused ACL tears. Football is physical at high levels and getting hurt in basic drills is not the coaches' fault. I would blame human genes before calling out the coach for running a drill that many of us have seen ran 100s of times.
Most fans would rather see it than watching two hapless MAC teams on Tuesday night set back excitement 300 years. I would rather watch two football players battle in the trenches 1 on 1 with a running back trying to sneak through a hole while avoiding a brutal hit IF the defense wins the battle (or the back could run the defender over or we might see the offensive lineman pancake the defense) than hear a commentator tells us about Terry Bowden's weight or his moms cookies in blowout.

Bears only needed one loss to torpedo our playoff chances. It was rather easy for the CFP, a beauty pageant committee with the built in skits on GameDay to drive home the point (without saying Baylor wouldn't be considered because we decided to add a cupcake instead of doing what was asked and done by 64 out of 65 teams. They weren't in the mood to reward us when everyone else played one more non conference Power 5 game).

Art complained and made a scene with Bowlsby (most likely upset the other 9 members), then Art was told to schedule better privately through his athletic director, then Art and Ian were called out in the press for not scheduling after complaining, then they turned around and didn't change their schedule. The league was done and basically fed Art and Ian to ESPN who didn't like them because they didn't schedule.
ColomboLQ
NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

Northwestern no. Not sure the Big 12 school representatives and commissioners agree or they would not have jumped thru hoops that I listed above. The expansion search was a joke. So, maybe they were just doing lip service plus trolling for revenue. The championship game could be more for revenue than real concern that OU or UT is left out.

I think Ashley's analysis of winning for MBB at Kansas holds true here. To beat the institutional bias, Baylor can't just be 1 point better. We need to be 6-7 points better.

The Big 12 office capped all over their "one true champion" marketing when they wouldn't let a tie-breaket (head-to-head) settle a conference champipnship. If our league office doesn't believe the motto, then why should the CFP buy it.
I think Briles understood this way before any of us did. He knew the only way Baylor would get into the CFP without question was by going undefeated and he scheduled to try to give himself the best chance to do that. A 1 loss Baylor will almost never be given the benefit of the doubt.
marco
xiledinok said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

We look even worse when we start bringing up Alabama and its scheduling. Didn't tv want to line us up against Alabama in Dallas or Notre Dame but we were too busy trying to schedule a game against Cal in Australia? Turned out Cal scheduled the game against Hawaii and we took on the Louisiana-directional last place squad.

Alabama wants all Power 5 to schedule all Power 5 and give the networks and college football a needed boost. It is a sham process to have some schools playing conference championship games while others don't play a championship game.
It would be a bigger sham that some G5 school would get love for the CFP while playing only three or four Power 5 schools. No chance they owners of the CFP reward those schools. It would cause outrage among those Power 5 schools trying to make everyone money.

Washington?
NoBSU
ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

I think Briles understood this way before any of us did. He knew the only way Baylor would get into the CFP without question was by going undefeated and he scheduled to try to give himself the best chance to do that. A 1 loss Baylor will almost never be given the benefit of the doubt.
So it is smarter to get no respect than some respect? Prolong a false hope.

Kind of like a Big 12 marketing scheme. One True Champion versus We Can Handle All Comers (subtitle - Preferably In The Second Half Of The Season).
ColomboLQ
NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

Kind of like a Big 12 marketing scheme. One True Champion versus We Can Handle All Comers (subtitle - Preferably In The Second Half Of The Season).
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I just think that Briles figured out something really early on that the rest of us eventually figured out also, which was if you go undefeated, the CFP will not keep you out no matter what. But if you're Baylor, and you have 1 loss, no matter what schedule you play, you will not get the benefit of the doubt against another 1 loss blue blood (which we know, 1 loss blue bloods happen all the time).
xiledinok
marco said:

xiledinok said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

We look even worse when we start bringing up Alabama and its scheduling. Didn't tv want to line us up against Alabama in Dallas or Notre Dame but we were too busy trying to schedule a game against Cal in Australia? Turned out Cal scheduled the game against Hawaii and we took on the Louisiana-directional last place squad.

Alabama wants all Power 5 to schedule all Power 5 and give the networks and college football a needed boost. It is a sham process to have some schools playing conference championship games while others don't play a championship game.
It would be a bigger sham that some G5 school would get love for the CFP while playing only three or four Power 5 schools. No chance they owners of the CFP reward those schools. It would cause outrage among those Power 5 schools trying to make everyone money.

Washington?
A bunch of teams lost and they were at the top of the junk heap. The committee wasn't happy but if you remember a group of teams like Texas Aggie lost to open up their selection. They also kept their conference happy.
xiledinok
ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I just think that Briles figured out something really early on that the rest of us eventually figured out also, which was if you go undefeated, the CFP will not keep you out no matter what. But if you're Baylor, and you have 1 loss, no matter what schedule you play, you will not get the benefit of the doubt against another 1 loss blue blood (which we know, 1 loss blue bloods happen all the time).
Art didn't figure out anything.
Our athletic department had him up doing all night and morning interviews including the CFP interview prior to the selection show. For a guy who figure it out, he looked exhausted after spending the night "lobbying" for a selection while the CFP committee slept at the Gxylord (my God, ******d is banned?). If looking clueless is figuring something out, then Art is one slick guy and helped create hype and false hope.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

I am not sure his own actions caused ACL tears. Football is physical at high levels and getting hurt in basic drills is not the coaches' fault. I would blame human genes before calling out the coach for running a drill that many of us have seen ran 100s of times.
Most fans would rather see it than watching two hapless MAC teams on Tuesday night set back excitement 300 years. I would rather watch two football players battle in the trenches 1 on 1 with a running back trying to sneak through a hole while avoiding a brutal hit IF the defense wins the battle (or the back could run the defender over or we might see the offensive lineman pancake the defense) than hear a commentator tells us about Terry Bowden's weight or his moms cookies in blowout.

Bears only needed one loss to torpedo our playoff chances. It was rather easy for the CFP, a beauty pageant committee with the built in skits on GameDay to drive home the point (without saying Baylor wouldn't be considered because we decided to add a cupcake instead of doing what was asked and done by 64 out of 65 teams. They weren't in the mood to reward us when everyone else played one more non conference Power 5 game).

Art complained and made a scene with Bowlsby (most likely upset the other 9 members), then Art was told to schedule better privately through his athletic director, then Art and Ian were called out in the press for not scheduling after complaining, then they turned around and didn't change their schedule. The league was done and basically fed Art and Ian to ESPN who didn't like them because they didn't schedule.
It's not just ACL tears we are talking about. When you put players through very physical practices, it creates wear and tear on the body. This is proven fact. That is why the NFLPA has successfully advocated limiting physical practices. Players play through little injuries, which sometimes lead to bigger injuries. I suspect that is one reason we've seen so many people sitting out in the spring.

As for the non-con, as I said, playing Power 5 opponents is a good thing. Playing contenders that destroy your playoff hopes, no thanks.
xiledinok
Rhule was putting in entirely new systems. How would you judge your players? Would you see if they can actually endure the physical style from the start or would they be better off somewhere contact isn't stressed and light hitting and tackling is the style?
JusHappy2BeHere
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

It's not just ACL tears we are talking about. When you put players through very physical practices, it creates wear and tear on the body. This is proven fact. That is why the NFLPA has successfully advocated limiting physical practices. Players play through little injuries, which sometimes lead to bigger injuries. I suspect that is one reason we've seen so many people sitting out in the spring.

As for the non-con, as I said, playing Power 5 opponents is a good thing. Playing contenders that destroy your playoff hopes, no thanks.

Football is a sport of attrition. You are never as healthy as you are the first day of pads. LaDainian Tomlinson said being an RB in the NFL is like getting into a rollover crash once a week for 16 weeks in a row.

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Rhule was putting in entirely new systems. How would you judge your players? Would you see if they can actually endure the physical style from the start or would they be better off somewhere contact isn't stressed and light hitting and tackling is the style?
I am not a football coach, so I don't know how I would handle it. I do know that Rhule's system seems to be a lot more physical and, in turn, has caused more injuries. If that's the kind of system he wants to run, again, that is his prerogative.

If you are really asking is that a better system, I have no idea. It wasn't better last year, and given what I saw in the spring game, I have serious concerns over how much better we will be this year. But Rhule gets time to put in place the system he wants to run - probably 4 or 5 years. Let's hope it comes close to how successful Briles' system was.
Mothra
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

Football is a sport of attrition. You are never as healthy as you are the first day of pads. LaDainian Tomlinson said being an RB in the NFL is like getting into a rollover crash once a week for 16 weeks in a row.

Of course. Doesn't mean some types of systems and practices don't cause more injuries, however.
ColomboLQ
xiledinok said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

Our athletic department had him up doing all night and morning interviews including the CFP interview prior to the selection show. For a guy who figure it out, he looked exhausted after spending the night "lobbying" for a selection while the CFP committee slept at the Gxylord (my God, ******d is banned?). If looking clueless is figuring something out, then Art is one slick guy and helped create hype and false hope.
I know reading isn't your strong point, but I said Art figured out that he needed to go UNDEFEATED to make the CFP with no questions asked. He obviously wasn't undefeated in 2014. That helps prove my point.
xiledinok
What a scholar he was to figure that out after 64 out of 65 teams had changed their schedule to play a Power 5 in non conference!
Common sense should have indictated after the Bowlsby incident, the conference telling the public that Baylor needed to schedule better, and telling the public our scheduling was hurting the conference that changes needed to happen immediately.
The conference was done with Art and Ian when they didn't bother changing the schedule.

The prettiest and most talented girl won't get invited to the CFP beauty contest if she doesn't do what pageant owners want her to do for them to make money.

I would suggest Rhule not let people into the stadium until 30 minutes prior to kickoff. The Oklahoma Drill might cause cardiac arrest if someone gets a sprained finger.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

I would suggest Rhule not let people into the stadium until 30 minutes prior to kickoff. The Oklahoma Drill might cause cardiac arrest if someone gets a sprained finger.
I don't have a lot of angst about the drill, but it certainly didn't appear to have any positive benefits last year. I mean, 1-11.

You still a believer that Rhule and his tough minded NFL pedigree is going to have us more successful than Briles had us? Or have you backed off of those bold predictions?
NoBSU
xiledinok said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

ColomboLQ said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

80sBEAR said:

xiledinok said:

Forest Bueller said:

xiledinok said:

You shouldn't try to put the Lord and Homosexuals together in the same sentence? The website designer had a bad experience at Opryland?
Friscobear
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

I am not a football coach, so I don't know how I would handle it. I do know that Rhule's system seems to be a lot more physical and, in turn, has caused more injuries. If that's the kind of system he wants to run, again, that is his prerogative.

If you are really asking is that a better system, I have no idea. It wasn't better last year, and given what I saw in the spring game, I have serious concerns over how much better we will be this year. But Rhule gets time to put in place the system he wants to run - probably 4 or 5 years. Let's hope it comes close to how successful Briles' system was.
Do you have stats to back that up? I don't think we had more than typical attrition due to injury. Thrift's injury hurt because we were already thin at OL and exacerbated that problem.

We had a DB fall down and break his arm. No contact.
Mothra
Friscobear said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Do you have stats to back that up? I don't think we had more than typical attrition due to injury. Thrift's injury hurt because we were already thin at OL and exacerbated that problem.

Stats? You mean other than the abnormally long injury list?

No.
Friscobear
Mothra said:

Friscobear said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

No.

That's my point. Abnormally long? Compared to when?

Maybe it was more than normal, but perception is not always reality.
bearlyafarmer
No drill has any value if it doesn't produce meaningful, positive change during games. The Oklahoma drill is no exception.

I'm still waiting for someone here to produce one shred of evidence that the Oklahoma drill produced any difference at all during any of our games last season.

Other than when Taylor Young drilled the Oklahoma QB backwards about 5 yards. But, something tells me he would have done that minus any extra-game Oklahoma drills.
Friscobear
bearlyafarmer said:

I'm still waiting for someone here to produce one shred of evidence that the Oklahoma drill produced any difference at all during any of our games last season.

Well, sine the Oklahoma drill consists of three people, a defender, a blocker and a ball carrier, I'm sure that if it was run in practice it had a positive impact as it teaches the defender to shed a block, or the blocker to maintain a block that the ball carrier can use to get past the defender and finally, teaches the ball carrier to set up or read a block and make the correct cut.

Why wouldn't that be a great learning tool?
xiledinok
Friscobear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

Well, sine the Oklahoma drill consists of three people, a defender, a blocker and a ball carrier, I'm sure that if it was run in practice it had a positive impact as it teaches the defender to shed a block, or the blocker to maintain a block that the ball carrier can use to get past the defender and finally, teaches the ball carrier to set up or read a block and make the correct cut.

Many winning football teams run the drill and many losing football teams run the drill. Please remind posters.
Maybe if we were more physical like the Sec and Big 10, we wouldn't get beat at our own game in the past (Michigan State boat race and Blake Bortles' mid major offensive line physically dominating the pass rush while his receivers wild ran like illegals being chased by the Border Patrol).
We need guys to shed more blocks.
bearlyafarmer
Friscobear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

Great learning tools produce results between the sidelines during games. If the on-field results don't improve, there was no learning. What we learn, we do, and, conversely, if we're not doing it, we haven't learned it.

Don't know how many times I've heard Scott Drew or his players talk after a horrendous turnover game about what a learning experience/opportunity that was/is. Yet who can point to meaningful improvement in that area as the years have rolled by?
Mothra
Friscobear said:

Mothra said:

Friscobear said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

No.

That's my point. Abnormally long? Compared to when?

Maybe it was more than normal, but perception is not always reality.
Compared to past years, absolutely. I've had season tickets since 1998, and my family before that, and I don't recall a season where we had as many injuries, and where the injury bug was constantly used as an excuse. I also don't recall a spring where so many players were injured. Although I haven't run the numbers, the list last year and this Spring seems a lot longer than in years past.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Friscobear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

Many winning football teams run the drill and many losing football teams run the drill. Please remind posters.
Maybe if we were more physical like the Sec and Big 10, we wouldn't get beat at our own game in the past (Michigan State boat race and Blake Bortles' mid major offensive line physically dominating the pass rush while his receivers wild ran like illegals being chased by the Border Patrol).
We need guys to shed more blocks.
Then again, maybe it was our style of play that also won us two Big 12 championships, whereas a slower, more physical team wouldn't have done so. Hard to say.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.