Football
Sponsored by

Oklahoma drill

29,422 Views | 291 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by xiledinok
Krieg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HenryTheOctopus said:

CottonValley said:

Has anyone ever heard of a team doing the Oklahoma Drill during pre-game, at any level? I haven't! With how thin our depth is, it seems like it's cutting off our nose to spite our face!
I have no opinion on the matter, but to answer your question, I did a quick google search and found this video of Miami doing the Oklahoma drill before playing Duke in 2011.

So, is it uncommon? Yes. Unheard of? No.

Ok, everyone should love the irony on this one. Miami went 6-6 in 2011 with...

Al Golden as their coach in his first year after leaving Temple!
Krieg
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I haven't read all of the responses so this may have already been stated.

In the first few seasons with Scott Drew, just prior to top off, the team would practice taking charges. I've never seen any other team do that before or since, only Drew's early teams. He was setting a tone for how he wanted his team to play.

I'm guessing Rhule is setting the tone for how he wants his team to play. I'll be shocked if I see this continue in years 4+.

Injuries happen for a myriad of reasons. Whatever injuries occur during Oklahoma drills this year will be collateral damage to the building of a culture.

If you want to remain a sub .500 team for years to come, convince the staff we don't need to work on toughness.

It's posts like this that make me wish I could reach through the screen and slap the poster right in the face. When was the last time were even had a .500 team? This year we won't even be close! Nice culture there.

The facts with these people...
Dia del DougO
OldSchoolBU said:

I swear you all are making something out of the biggest bag of nothing. You act the players are going straight at each other with helmet to helmet hits. They are just wrestling a little bit.

You know who else does Oklahoma drills? Oklahoma. The team some of you fear so much. I guess Bob Stoops was an unenlightened idiot also as he completely dominated this conference over the last 15 years.

I fear for this generation. Hopefully no war or real adversity breaks out when you all are so concerned about a little pre-game wrestling.

I guess you missed this the first three times. Here's exactly what it was:'

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Quinton
OldSchoolBU said:

there is a term for all this worry over the Oklahoma drill pre-game. Let me think of it. Oh yeah, MANUFACTURED DRAMA. Quit thinking like cowards and start thinking like champions. Do you want a tough football team? Toughness is a skill that needs to be practiced. You don't get tough without getting used to contact.

Stop. Have you seen a fighter push the hell out of themselves with ridiculously physical drills all the way up to the week of the fight and then get their ass whipped? I have on multiple occasions with high level guys. Lost to a much inferior opponent because of foolish training methods. Was tough as hell but didn't matter. Completely ridiculous to do any of that training leading up to game time. I don't understand how this is even debatable with the knowledge we now have on training and performance. Again, if Rhule wants the drill in build up during spring and early fall then go ahead although its not great to use consistently. To do it on game week or worse game day is stupid. There is no other way about it.

There is a term for those passing it off as nothing, idiots.
ColomboLQ
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would think this is a good idea to do on gameday. What's even more amazing is that there are people on here defending this crap. No wonder our guys look out of shape, they are gassed as the game starts. So dumb.
Baylor3216
Did anyone get hurt
Doing this drill?

OldSchoolBU
I do respect guys like Robby44 who played chiming in. I apologize to everyone for being so wrong about this. Thanks for the enlightenment. All I know is that I have a friend who was on the South Florida staff and when I asked him about Matt Rhule coached teams he said he hated playing them because they were the toughest SOBs around. But maybe he doesn't know what he is talking about either.

Let Matt Rhule coach his team the way he sees fit. If he wants to do Oklahoma drills at midfield before the game, give it a year before you make any judgments. If Baylor is knocking off teams at the end of the year and you are seeing a mentally tough and disciplined football team, then perhaps you can admit that there are different methods to accomplishing an objective.

We are not losing games because we are doing Oklahoma drills before the game. I don't buy that bs at all. That is all I will say on the subject. Keep making it a straw man if you wish.

Art Briles had a 56% winning percentage in Big12 play. His record was vastly inflated by a creampuff non-conference schedule. Bob Stoops who did Oklahoma drills all the time had a 81% winning percentage in Big12 play. Briles was the genius and Stoops the idiot. I get it.
The past is last! Be a champion today!
Ubuntu
Quote:

Art Briles had a 56% winning percentage in Big12 play. His record was vastly inflated by a creampuff non-conference schedule. Bob Stoops who did Oklahoma drills all the time had a 81% winning percentage in Big12 play. Briles was the genius and Stoops the idiot. I get it.
Not even close to an apples-to-apples comparison: Briles started with some of the worst Big12 teams of all time, and basically built an entire institution's Football program from the ground up to consistently be in the national convo.

Stoops has the entire backing of what was already a power-house, football-driven university.

The B12 winning percentage should be a surprise to no one.
REX
Ubuntu said:

Quote:

Not even close to an apples-to-apples comparison: Briles started with some of the worst Big12 teams of all time, and basically built an entire institution's Football program from the ground up to consistently be in the national convo.

Stoops has the entire backing of what was already a power-house, football-driven university.

No doubt. BU's Big12 winning percentage without Coach? And guess what it's not going to improve any time soon
merckywaters
greggor25 said:

Beaneater said:

OldSchoolBU said:

there is a term for all this worry over the Oklahoma drill pre-game. Let me think of it. Oh yeah, MANUFACTURED DRAMA. Quit thinking like cowards and start thinking like champions. Do you want a tough football team? Toughness is a skill that needs to be practiced. You don't get tough without getting used to contact.
Thinking like a champion, thinking like a champion, thinking like a champion...

Hey!
We are improving week to week.
We are the best 0-3 team in the nation. Toughest too.
We have one the best punters in all of CFB.
Man, in a few years we are gonna tear this league UP!
Redshirts? We don't need no stinking redshirts! hahahahahaha!
Relax! Rhule is right in his element. He stunk it up his first year at Temple also. We gonna be FINE.
AND: We are building these guys into absolute monsters on the Little Tykes toy JamFest!

This. I can't believe we haven't made ESPN top 10 highlights with the "awesome" hang time dunks off Little Tykes goal!

The Oklahoma drill made the lowlights reel on espn's college football show
#FreeCinque
Krieg
Baylor3216 said:

Did anyone get hurt
Doing this drill?

If you'd read the thread before posting you wouldn't have needed to post. That position group everyone complains about lacking depth? Yeah, we lost an OL to this drill. Maybe 2.
RioRata
Willie said:

Booing my team (players & coaches) is something with which I fundamentally disagree.

So you will cheer when one of our players is carted off the field in pre-game warm ups???
RioRata
Baylor3216 said:

Did anyone get hurt
Doing this drill?

So you will cheer when one of our players is carted off the field in pre-game warm ups???
BBWCBear
Beaneater said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Thinking like a champion, thinking like a champion, thinking like a champion...

Hey!
We are improving week to week.
We are the best 0-3 team in the nation. Toughest too.
We have one the best punters in all of CFB.
Man, in a few years we are gonna tear this league UP!
Redshirts? We don't need no stinking redshirts! hahahahahaha!
Relax! Rhule is right in his element. He stunk it up his first year at Temple also. We gonna be FINE.
AND: We are building these guys into absolute monsters on the Little Tykes toy JamFest!

Yawn...
BellCountyBear
I thought the point of pregame was to "warmup", not wear out!
RioRata
BellCountyBear said:

I thought the point of pregame was to "warmup", not wear out!

We're just dumb ass Texans. What do we know about football anyways?
boognish_bear
Pecos 45
OldSchoolBU said:

I don't think you need to prove your toughness just before kickoff.
That should have already been established the preceding week, or you would not be a starter.
Just my opinion.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
OldSchoolBU said:

I do respect guys like Robby44 who played chiming in. I apologize to everyone for being so wrong about this. Thanks for the enlightenment. All I know is that I have a friend who was on the South Florida staff and when I asked him about Matt Rhule coached teams he said he hated playing them because they were the toughest SOBs around. But maybe he doesn't know what he is talking about either.

Let Matt Rhule coach his team the way he sees fit. If he wants to do Oklahoma drills at midfield before the game, give it a year before you make any judgments. If Baylor is knocking off teams at the end of the year and you are seeing a mentally tough and disciplined football team, then perhaps you can admit that there are different methods to accomplishing an objective.

We are not losing games because we are doing Oklahoma drills before the game. I don't buy that bs at all. That is all I will say on the subject. Keep making it a straw man if you wish.

I am hoping that no one is going to post that he/she is seeing "internal improvements."
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
CHP Bear
Forest Bueller said:

Ubuntu said:

If you are in the stands Saturday and see this stupidity persist, please start booing the coaches. The players deserve better than to do this drill right before a game (or ever, really).
I disagree with booing, but it is a very stupid practice.

The Oklahoma drill, should be reserved for the "proving" season in football, spring practice, and early fall drills before the starters have been announced.

Minutes before an actual game is not the time to "prove" yourself.
Well said Forest. As for booing the players, remember the Oklahoma Drills, before game time, are a coaching decision.
BearPa
OldSchoolBU said:

Noghri said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Dumb post is dumb. This is not a way to get tough. It is a way to wear out your body/impede healing.

How many of the last 15 national champs run this drill?
college or pro
when you get your own program run it like you want to. I don't have a problem with it. Players take on about 60-90 "Oklahoma drills" in a game and people are worried about one more pre-game? I just don't get it. Serious making a mountain out of a molehill.
Why risk an injury before the game even starts? (which is what happened before the Spring game)
BearPa
Mothra
OldSchoolBU said:

Noghri said:

OldSchoolBU said:

Dumb post is dumb. This is not a way to get tough. It is a way to wear out your body/impede healing.

How many of the last 15 national champs run this drill?
college or pro
when you get your own program run it like you want to. I don't have a problem with it. Players take on about 60-90 "Oklahoma drills" in a game and people are worried about one more pre-game? I just don't get it. Serious making a mountain out of a molehill.
Just FYI, Tanner Thrift, one of our best offensive linemen, had his football career ended by the Oklahoma drill. As a result, we had to move a TE to guard, and play a freshman at center. How do you think that turn of events has affected us this season? Would it have been better to have someone with Tanner's size and experience protecting Zach Smith from getting killed, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
Mothra
OldSchoolBU said:

You're an intellectually dishonest buffoon. Briles took over a program that won 4 Big 12 games in 7 years. FOUR. Let that sink in for a moment. That team didn't have a single 4-star player on the roster. Let's stop trying to compare the Baylor of '08 to the talented team Bob Stoops took over at OU.

Before you start talking winning percentages again, why don't you go take a look at Matt Rhule's at Temple. Here's a newsflash - his winning percentage in conference was around 56%.
Mothra
Ubuntu said:

Quote:

Better said than I did. OldSchool is a buffoon.
Mothra
Pecos 45 said:

OldSchoolBU said:

I am hoping that no one is going to post that he/she is seeing "internal improvements."
As another poster pointed out, isn't claiming "it a process" tantamount to "internal improvements"? Methinks.
Dia del DougO
boognish_bear said:

I would prefer they establish it against the other team more.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Michibear
https://www.diehards.com/baylor/baylor-coach-matt-rhule-defends-pregame-oklahoma-drill?utm_campaign=SF_Baylor_Diehards&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

"Rhule said he will not run the drill before every game, only if the players want to do it. He said Baylor likely will not run it before the game against No. 3 Oklahoma on Saturday."

So, maybe CMR is reading our posts.
Dia del DougO
I really don't care much if they like to do Oklahoma drill or not. Football is a rough game, you can get hurt on any rep, a lot of injuries are non-contact. But I think it's extremely ******y to do it in pregame. Poor form.
BringBackCAB
Michibear said:

https://www.diehards.com/baylor/baylor-coach-matt-rhule-defends-pregame-oklahoma-drill?utm_campaign=SF_Baylor_Diehards&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

"Rhule said he will not run the drill before every game, only if the players want to do it. He said Baylor likely will not run it before the game against No. 3 Oklahoma on Saturday."

Good thing we hired a guy who choses to defer pregame decisions to children.
Ubuntu
Michibear said:

My kids want to shoot guns in the backyard without me, but as the parent, and adult in charge, I do not acquiesce to their every want and desire, and instead exercise common sense.
Brian the Dog
Michibear said:

Like the players are going to stand up before all their peers 30 minutes before kickoff and say "no coach I don't want to do that drill"

When that happens you know he's lost the team.
The_barBEARian
Ubuntu said:

If you are in the stands Saturday and see this stupidity persist, please start booing the coaches. The players deserve better than to do this drill right before a game (or ever, really).

No. It's the only thing they are doing they I like!!!
historian
Forest Bueller said:

Ubuntu said:

I disagree with booing, but it is a very stupid practice.

The Oklahoma drill, should be reserved for the "proving" season in football, spring practice, and early fall drills before the starters have been announced.

Minutes before an actual game is not the time to "prove" yourself.

Agreed. The team needs to prove themselves on the field and on the scoreboard. That's where it counts.
boognish_bear
Looks like golden boy Tom Herman is an OD fan

Stranger
If Little Matty puts the Bears through that drill Saturday then he proves how bad a coach some of us believe he really is.

Let's all get ready for another losing season. It's not about the team, it's about him.
I'm a Bearbacker

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.