* * MMA - Boxing

51,783 Views | 466 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Assassin
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never even heard of someone having a legitimate fighting record like that.
Assassin
UBBY said:

Oh, it's legitimate. He is a legend in BJJ.
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
Will someone please tell Joe Rogan to lose the line 'greatest of all time' - its getting old when he changes the person on the recceiving end every few months
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
time for Gilberto Melendez to retire. I also said that 2-3 years ago
Assassin
Pulling for anyone fighting Jon Jones, what a horses ass.
Assassin
Holy crap!

5 second knockout for Jorge Masvidal. Absolutely perfect flying knee. Took the ref 3 seconds to get there or it would be a 2 second knockout
FullBear
Assassin said:

Holy crap!

5 second knockout for Jorge Masvidal. Absolutely perfect flying knee. Took the ref 3 seconds to get there or it would be a 2 second knockout

That was insane. Perfect timing but can't wait to see Masvidal get destroyed in the future.
Assassin
Santos would have whupped Jones if his knee hadnt popped out in the first. Still took one judges's card. I think the 2nd round was the tossup

Official cards Jon Jones def. Thiago Santos via Split Decision (47-48, 48-47, 48-47)
Assassin
Assassin
this should be a good one

MAIN CARD
UNDERCARD
Assassin
They were introducing a somewhat overweight ref, and tehere is a famiiar face, Frank Trigg . He had some great fights against Matt Hughes
Assassin
Nate Diaz kicked Pettis butt... dang
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Assassin said:

Constant pressure
Assassin
Brian Ethridge said:

Assassin said:

Constant pressure
No kidding. I remember when he had no striking skils, trying to fight like his big brother. He has really developed, ya gotta give him credit
Assassin
And Cormier loses the HW title back to the guy he beat for it, Miocic, the fireman from Euclid, Ohio.

Thought Cormier had him beat in Round 1, actually lifted him over his head and held him, then dumped him and beat him up for the rest of the round

Round 4, Miocic's team told him to attack the body. And those left hooks to the body were devasting.That was that
UBBY
How devastating is the liver shot? I've heard Bas Rutten say it is one of his favorite techniques. It completely changed the fight between DC and Stipe. I've heard it not only is extremely painful but makes it difficult to breathe or function normally.
Assassin
UBBY said:

How devastating is the liver shot? I've heard Bas Rutten say it is one of his favorite techniques. It completely changed the fight between DC and Stipe. I've heard it not only is extremely painful but makes it difficult to breathe or function normally.
I have only been hit once in a liver shot but I didnt know what it was back then. All I remember is the pain
UBBY
Is wrestling the number 1 skill to give you an opportunity to be an MMA fighter? I heard Joe Rogan say this during the Stipe - DC fight. I know, its Joe Rogan and he likes to hear himself talk sometimes but is this an accurate statement? Not BJJ or striking abilities but wrestling?
Assassin
UBBY said:

Is wrestling the number 1 skill to give you an opportunity to be an MMA fighter? I heard Joe Rogan say this during the Stipe - DC fight. I know, its Joe Rogan and he likes to hear himself talk sometimes but is this an accurate statement? Not BJJ or striking abilities but wrestling?
I think one reason it could be is that there have been so many long developed wrestling programs out there. MMA is a fairly new sport. UFC 1 was karate vs wrestling vs kungfu vs bare knuckles, basically a tough man contest. America hadn't figured out the intricacies of moving from the ground to standup to the cage, etc

If you were South America, it would be different as Vale Tudo has been around since the 1920s. It is basically MMA. There they might say that a BJJ background would prepare you more
UBBY
Assassin said:

UBBY said:

I think one reason it could be is that there have been so many long developed wrestling programs out there. MMA is a fairly new sport. UFC 1 was karate vs wrestling vs kungfu vs bare knuckles, basically a tough man contest. America hadn't figured out the intricacies of moving from the ground to standup to the cage, etc

If you were South America, it would be different as Vale Tudo has been around since the 1920s. It is basically MMA. There they might say that a BJJ background would prepare you more
I guess a good example is Brock Lesnar. He was average at striking but was a monster of a human and had good wrestling skills.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Assassin said:

UBBY said:

I have only been hit once in a liver shot but I didnt know what it was back then. All I remember is the pain

Took a knee to the liver once on accident and I was down for some time
Assassin
Brian Ethridge said:

Assassin said:

UBBY said:

Took a knee to the liver once on accident and I was down for some time
Ouch!
Assassin
Cyborg to Bellator. Guess they paid her a buttload
Assassin
UFC 242 is gonna be an early one. Its in Dubai

• Date: Saturday, September 7
  • Time: 10:15 am for Early Prelims, Noon for Prelims, and 2pm for the Main Card (All Times are Eastern)
  • TV: Mid-Level Prelims are on FX
  • Live Stream: Early Prelims are on ESPN+ and UFC Fight Pass, Main Card is on ESPN+ PPV
Assassin
Khabid obliterated the highly overrated Conor McGregor. Poirier should be a better test

MAIN CARD
UNDERCARD
UBBY
NM
Assassin
The Felder-Barbosa fight is gonna be a boogerbear. Two excellent strikers going head to head
Assassin
Assassin said:

The Felder-Barbosa fight is gonna be a boogerbear. Two excellent strikers going head to head
wow, expected that to go Barbosa. But Felder is one bad son of a gun
Assassin
Kabib is a bad man. Typical wrestler, once he makes contact with you, its is nearly impossible to get him off
BAILIPO
Assassin said:

just saw this:

Mayweather and McGregor are expected to climb through the ropes sometime before midnight (11pm Texas time) later this evening. The bout, which will be contested at 154 pounds, is scheduled for 12, three-minute rounds. And th emi calculator gst login ifsc code e longer the fight goes, the more it favors Mayweather, whose average bout duration is 23 minutes, while McGregor has never fought for more than 25 minutes, averaging just under five minutes in the cage throughout his 24-fight MMA career.
f this thing didn't sell out? On TicketMaster the cheapest seat is $1,600. Maybe they overestimated what people would pay
Assassin
FIGHT NIGHT Cerone vs Gaetjeand Texeria vs Krylov
Assassin
Assassin said:

UBBY said:

https://instagr.am/p/60Xo0oi9nW
UBBY
Assassin said:

Assassin said:

UBBY said:

Who is the actor with the most legit fighting background?

I'm trying to think of some that had fight tournament experience. Chuck Norris, Dolph Lundgren, Jean Claude Van Damme. I cant think of any others right now.

Of course then there's Michael Jai White. He has 8 black belts. He's probably the most debatable one out there overall. He only fought in one tournament that I've seen back in the late 1980's and did well. He is either extremely confident in himself or cocky. I have seen a recent interview where he said he would have done very well in UFC but just doesn't know if he could take a punch consistently. He said he also has an amateur wrestling background in college and also flies around the country to spar and train with different experienced fighters, he just doesn't publicly talk about that last part very much. He said those fighters he has trained with all say he is a very good fighter and that he could compete in MMA.

Phew. That was a mouthful. He never did of course so we'll never know. He said he didn't want to end up beat up when he got older with injuries so he never tried it.
Assassin
UBBY said:

Assassin said:

Assassin said:

UBBY said:

Who is the actor with the most legit fight experiences

Phew. That was a mouthful. He never did of course so we'll never know. He said he didn't want to end up beat up when he got older with injuries so he never tried it.

Don the Dragon Wilson for one 11 time world kickboxing champ. Jet li was a wushu champ. Jason Statham has half a dozen advanced belts.
UBBY
I have been binging on Sakuraba fights on youtube. Where would he rank in his weight class as a fighter all time in your opinion?

He was tough as nails from what I've seen. Also innovative. His patented leg kicks, flying knee and cart wheel. The only qualm I could have about his career is that he almost always fought on his home turf and maybe got some rules slighted his way in some fights because of that.

As a side note I saw a video withing the last 5 years or so with him, Royce Gracie and Wanderlei Silva at an autograph signing. Sakuraba is freaking nuts. All Royce could do was laugh at him and his antics and Wanderlei just looked like he was scared of him. lol

Obviously part of why it's enjoyable to watch his fights is because he made it entertaining and because he had a lot of close, competitive fights for most of his career.

What other fighters would you suggest I look up?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.