Losin' my religion

29,819 Views | 572 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sam Lowry
JXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm trying to remember here - did Jesus tell His disciples to leave strangers alone and keep their faith to themselves, or did He tell them to teach all nations to observe the things which He had commanded them?
Waco1947
bearhouse
Love people. That's what He commanded.

Many of these posts are argumentative, self righteous, and quarrelous. Are these posts a reflection of Jesus or the reflection of the accuser?
LIB,MR BEARS
bearhouse said:

Many of these posts are argumentative, self righteous, and quarrelous. Are these posts a reflection of Jesus or the reflection of the accuser?
are taking the position that the tares (47) should be left to grow with the wheat?
bearhouse
LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

are taking the position that the tares (47) should be left to grow with the wheat?
Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Perhaps, 47 exists for you to practice love. Perhaps, you exist for 47 to practice love.

Love is hard to do. But we are not called just to love wheat.

I do not claim to understand the full ramifications of Jesus's command to love God and your neighbor as yourself. I don't think that means you have to radically accept as truth something you disagree with. But there is a different spirit of disagreement when love is present - patience, kindness, respect and humility. Many of these seem lacking in the responses.

Canada2017
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Perhaps, 47 exists for you to practice love. Perhaps, you exist for 47 to practice love.

I do not claim to understand the full ramifications of Jesus's command to love God and your neighbor as yourself. I don't think that means you have to radically accept as truth something you disagree with. But there is a different spirit of disagreement when love is present - patience, kindness, respect and humility. Many of these seem lacking in the responses.

Unfortunately recent history is full examples where good hearted Christians loved their enemies right up until the moment they and their entire families were brutally executed .

Its a fine line .
bearhouse
Canada2017 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Unfortunately recent history is full examples where good hearted Christians loved their enemies right up until the moment they and their entire families were brutally executed .

Its a fine line .
2000 years ago there was a good example of the cost. :-)
ScottS
Maybe its time for Pelosi to worry about her own business/house. Maybe she needs to focus on making sure her and her husband are not getting liquored up and driving.
BusyTarpDuster2017
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

It would be better if people concerned themselves more with the truth of what's being said, rather than judge the heart of the person that's saying it based on their comments, especially when it comes to central truths of Christianity that other people are distorting or denying.

We are to love others as ourself. We are to love God above all else (heart, mind, strength). We are NOT to put others in front of God. If others are mocking, distorting, or denying God's truths they are not to be tolerated by Christians. Loving others doesn't mean to compromise God's word in order to accomodate them. If you do that you are putting your love of others in front of your love for God.

There is a time to be loving, gentle, patient, and kind. Then there are times where you must overturn the money changers' tables and drive them out with whips. There is a time to be respectful and tolerant of others' beliefs and opinions. Then there are times where you have to obey Jesus' commands to his churches in Revelation, and have zero tolerance for false teachers and gospels, and to "hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate" (Jesus' words).
Canada2017
bearhouse said:

Canada2017 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Its a fine line .

And there have been millions of examples since .

Many of whom suffering an even worse fate .
LIB,MR BEARS
Canada2017 said:

bearhouse said:

Canada2017 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Its a fine line .

???
Canada2017
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canada2017 said:

bearhouse said:

Canada2017 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Its a fine line .

???
Simply making the obvious point that millions of Christians have been murdered over the last 2000 years.

Sometimes in ways even more gruesome than crucifixion .
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

fadskier said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Yes, new. His old one was perishable. And I'm pretty sure appearing and disappearing in thin air was a new feature. Also, remember he wasn't in his glorified state yet.
So, he was in a decaying transcendental zombie state with holes either in Jerusalem or Galilee, depending upon who tells the story?

You can try to understand or, you can try to be obstinate. Either way, is speaks volumes about you.
The only thing appearing out of thin air is this story. If Jesus got up and walked out of a tomb, then he was resurrected, and if he was walking around with holes in him for Thomas et al to see, then that was his resurrected state. Clearly over time, the stories became more and more miraculous in order to sell the overall message and bolster the disillusioned.
I'm confused. What exactly are you saying? Respectfully.
I'm saying the crucifixion stories are conflicting, and they are unbelievable. They were written years later by unknown authors taken from retold and embellished oral stories, in order to bolster and promote the message of the author.
The crucifixion and resurrection as told in the Gospels is exactly what the Apostle Paul proclaimed. He met and talked with Jesus' disciples IN PERSON. His letters we have today were written BY HIM. They weren't embellished oral stories.

You have nothing, but the really sad part is you don't care. You'll continue to repeat this brainless stuff over and over again as if you're really trying to convince yourself, more than to convince others.
Paul didn't write a gospel, and Paul's message is not exactly the same as the Gospels.
Paul didn't dance the hoochie coo either. Has about the same relevance, though.
Exactly, they aren't the same.
Give it up. You tried the "resurrection story was embellished by unknown authors" argument and you were soundly defeated by the fact that Paul affirmed the same thing. Now you're having to resort to the silly "Paul's letters aren't the same as the Gospels" argument that does absolutely nothing for anything.

You already thoroughly embarassed yourself with the "harmonizing different accounts creates a whole new account, different from the others" argument. People have tuned you out. You have utterly failed to drag others down into your sad belief system.
You didn't soundly defeat anything. Paul didn't claim to witness the resurrection. How can he affirm something he wasn't present for? He only repeated what he heard, and he claimed most of what he heard was from "God" himself. How delusional is that? Do you really believe all of the letters attributed to Paul were written by Paul? If you do, you are at odds with most biblical scholars.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Quote:

You didn't soundly defeat anything. Paul didn't claim to witness the resurrection. How can he affirm something he wasn't present for? He only repeated what he heard, and he claimed most of what he heard was from "God" himself. How delusional is that?
Paul knew Jesus was crucified, and Jesus appeared to him, alive.

And Paul met and spoke directly with Jesus' disciples. It is highly, highly likely they would talk about Jesus' resurrection. Even if Paul is merely repeating what he heard from them, then we have an original author of a text (not unknown authors, as you claimed) who had direct contact with first-hand eye witnesses to the event (not embellished oral stories, as you claimed).

So give it up. You lose.
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Quote:

You didn't soundly defeat anything. Paul didn't claim to witness the resurrection. How can he affirm something he wasn't present for? He only repeated what he heard, and he claimed most of what he heard was from "God" himself. How delusional is that?

And Paul met and spoke directly with Jesus' disciples. It is highly, highly likely they would talk about Jesus' resurrection. Even if Paul is merely repeating what he heard from them, then we have an original author of a text (not unknown authors, as you claimed) who had direct contact with first-hand eye witnesses to the event (not embellished oral stories, as you claimed).

So give it up. You lose.
It' s not a matter of winning or losing. It's a matter of credibility. First of all you know that only seven of the letters attributed to Paul were written by him. There is no credible evidence other than his words that he talked to Jesus, God, or His messenger. History is full of people who make that claim. He's no more believable or credible than Joseph Smith. You only have Paul's assertions, and Paul's message and version of Christianity was different and in competition with what was taught to Peter and the other Jewish disciples, who more credibly talked with Jesus. There is no corroborating evidence for Paul's claims.
Waco1947
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

I exist and take positions that challenge. The traditionalists simply knee jerk with opinion and in an ugly fashion I. E. Canada, wang, shooter, dust tarp, etc.
personal attacks and dismissiveness. Thank you for honest conversation. I am not a false teacher. I stand in a progressive and historical tradition at least from the Enlightenment.
Mr Lib and JXL and old bear 83 ( who seems to have a had a spiritual awakening) sometimes respond with genuine comment.
See my post about the Top 10 reasons the church will survive. One has to wade through a page of hateful nonsense to get a real dialogue going. On this thread critical thinking has been intermittent
Waco1947
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

I exist and take positions that challenge. The traditionalists simply knee jerk with opinion and in an ugly fashion I. E. Canada, wang, shooter, dust tarp, etc.
personal attacks and dismissiveness. Thank you for honest conversation. I am not a false teacher. I stand in a progressive and historical tradition at least from the Enlightenment.
Mr Lib and JXL and old bear 83 ( who seems to have a had a spiritual awakening) sometimes respond with genuine comment.
See my post about the Top 10 reasons the church will survive. One has to wade through a page of hateful nonsense to get a real dialogue going. On this thread critical thinking has been intermittent
At least this time you spelled the words right .

For all of your self congratulations ( which is common in your posts ) you still have not found the moral fortitude to disclose where you supposedly obtained your theology degree .
Waco1947
Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

For all of your self congratulations ( which is common in your posts ) you still have not found the moral fortitude to disclose where you supposedly obtained your theology degree .
As soon as you decency to me.
Waco1947
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

Canada2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

As soon as you decency to me.
chuckle
J.B.Katz
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

I'm saying the crucifixion stories are conflicting, and they are unbelievable. They were written years later by unknown authors taken from retold and embellished oral stories, in order to bolster and promote the message of the author.
The crucifixion and resurrection as told in the Gospels is exactly what the Apostle Paul proclaimed. He met and talked with Jesus' disciples IN PERSON. His letters we have today were written BY HIM. They weren't embellished oral stories.

You have nothing, but the really sad part is you don't care. You'll continue to repeat this brainless stuff over and over again as if you're really trying to convince yourself, more than to convince others.
Paul didn't write a gospel, and Paul's message is not exactly the same as the Gospels.
Give it up. You tried the "resurrection story was embellished by unknown authors" argument and you were soundly defeated by the fact that Paul affirmed the same thing. Now you're having to resort to the silly "Paul's letters aren't the same as the Gospels" argument that does absolutely nothing for anything.

You already thoroughly embarassed yourself with the "harmonizing different accounts creates a whole new account, different from the others" argument. People have tuned you out. You have utterly failed to drag others down into your sad belief system.
You didn't soundly defeat anything. Paul didn't claim to witness the resurrection. How can he affirm something he wasn't present for? He only repeated what he heard, and he claimed most of what he heard was from "God" himself. How delusional is that? Do you really believe all of the letters attributed to Paul were written by Paul? If you do, you are at odds with most biblical scholars.
Right now on another thread, Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony about what Donald Trump did on 1-6 to foment a coup is being dismissed as "hearsay" evidence, and Paul's words are based on "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend" testimony.

The remarkable thing about the Bible is that it contains so much truth and has endured so long.

But (1) we read it in translation, which means some translators emphasize certain meanings over others, and (2) the truths in the Bible are not exact history. (Does anyone really believe Noah loaded 2 of every animal on the planet onto his ark?)
bearhouse
Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

I do not believe that you are a false teacher but I do think you like to challenge. And that riles some people for sure. What's wrong with a healthy discussion? Nothing, unless it reduces to name calling and hate.

People like dichotomous thinking. It keeps them safe and in a comfort zone. I am "in" and you are "out." I am "right" and you are "wrong." I like both/and statements much better than either/or statements. I think God is a both/and thinker rather than an either/or thinker. But this is my read on the Bible and people are free to reject it.

I recognize that I am both the chaff and the wheat. Jesus's love burns away my chaff over time as I work out my salvation learning how to follow Jesus. Jesus said love God and love others. His way is relational, not doctrinal. A person can have all the right religious beliefs but if they do not have love, they are not in a relationship with Jesus. Now...what does that look like? I don't always know. Love is hard. Especially loving someone who thinks, acts, looks, and believes differently than you do. But that is what we are commanded to do.

I don't put my trust in any theologian or human teacher or religious tradition. I put my trust in our Lord who commands us to love. If you have something to say about that, I will listen and think about it. I do think your posting here is worthwhile even if people vehemently disagree with you.
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Quote:

So give it up. You lose.
It' s not a matter of winning or losing. It's a matter of credibility. First of all you know that only seven of the letters attributed to Paul were written by him. There is no credible evidence other than his words that he talked to Jesus, God, or His messenger. History is full of people who make that claim. He's no more believable or credible than John Smith. You only have Paul's assertions, and Paul's message and version of Christianity was different and in competition with what was taught to Peter and the other Jewish disciples, who more credibly talked with Jesus. There is no corroborating evidence for Paul's claims.
If it's a matter of credibility, then you lost on that one as well. Badly.

Yeah, it's a matter or winning or losing for you - you clearly tried to invalidate the resurrection testimony of the gospel, and you were soundly defeated by facts. That is why you are trying to change your argument here. You are all about lying and distorting to hurt someone else's faith. You are in an incessant battle with the truth of Jesus. You aren't even deterred when what you've said is clearly shown to be false. No, you move on to the next distortion and lie, hoping no one noticed. Because that 's your mission, your game.

But we noticed. And you lost. Badly. Take your ball and go home.
BusyTarpDuster2017
bearhouse said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

I do not believe that you are a false teacher but I do think you like to challenge. And that riles some people for sure. What's wrong with a healthy discussion? Nothing, unless it reduces to name calling and hate.

People like dichotomous thinking. It keeps them safe and in a comfort zone. I am "in" and you are "out." I am "right" and you are "wrong." I like both/and statements much better than either/or statements. I think God is a both/and thinker rather than an either/or thinker. But this is my read on the Bible and people are free to reject it.

I recognize that I am both the chaff and the wheat. Jesus's love burns away my chaff over time as I work out my salvation learning how to follow Jesus. Jesus said love God and love others. His way is relational, not doctrinal. A person can have all the right religious beliefs but if they do not have love, they are not in a relationship with Jesus. Now...what does that look like? I don't always know. Love is hard. Especially loving someone who thinks, acts, looks, and believes differently than you do. But that is what we are commanded to do.

I don't put my trust in any theologian or human teacher or religious tradition. I put my trust in our Lord who commands us to love. If you have something to say about that, I will listen and think about it. I do think your posting here is worthwhile even if people vehemently disagree with you.
Waco believes that God did NOT create the heavens and the earth. He believes God did NOT create life on earth, including us humans.

He also believes that Jesus did NOT rise bodily from the dead. These are his stated beliefs.

Explain to me how these do not constitute false teaching in Christianity.
bearhouse
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Quote:

So give it up. You lose.
It' s not a matter of winning or losing. It's a matter of credibility. First of all you know that only seven of the letters attributed to Paul were written by him. There is no credible evidence other than his words that he talked to Jesus, God, or His messenger. History is full of people who make that claim. He's no more believable or credible than John Smith. You only have Paul's assertions, and Paul's message and version of Christianity was different and in competition with what was taught to Peter and the other Jewish disciples, who more credibly talked with Jesus. There is no corroborating evidence for Paul's claims.
If it's a matter of credibility, then you lost on that one as well. Badly.

Yeah, it's a matter or winning or losing for you - you clearly tried to invalidate the resurrection testimony of the gospel, and you were soundly defeated by facts. That is why you are trying to change your argument here. You are all about lying and distorting to hurt someone else's faith. You are in an incessant battle with the truth of Jesus. You aren't even deterred when what you've said is clearly shown to be false. No, you move on to the next distortion and lie, hoping no one noticed. Because that 's your mission, your game.

But we noticed. And you lost. Badly. Take your ball and go home.
Carl Jung stated "what you resists persists." I wonder if that is relevant in these "debates."
bearhouse
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Waco believes that God did NOT create the heavens and the earth. He believes God did NOT create life on earth, including us humans.

He also believes that Jesus did NOT rise bodily from the dead. These are his stated beliefs.

Jesus commands us to love God and love others. The power of resurrection is love and the transformed heart. I won't quibble with someone who thinks that is literal versus someone who thinks that is metaphorical. Either way - follow the love Jesus preached. It. Is. Hard.

I believe you are zealous for truth and righteousness. I commend you for that. But Jesus has other sheep who hear his voice and follow him. They may not believe exactly as you do but that does not make them a false teacher or a heretic.

Finally, the trinity is full. Who are we to judge the heart of another? That is God's job. Not yours. And not mine.
BusyTarpDuster2017
J.B.Katz said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

... Paul's words are based on "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend" testimony.
Wow, what level of ignorance that could have easily been remedied by reading the previous comments. This is the level of ignorance that is on your side, TXScientist.

You don't believe in God, but you say you still go to church. Did you not learn anything about the faith which you are so passionately against? It would make sense to know something about it, if you are going to argue against it.
BusyTarpDuster2017
bearhouse said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Jesus commands us to love God and love others. The power of resurrection is love and the transformed heart. I won't quibble with someone who thinks that is literal versus someone who thinks that is metaphorical. Either way - follow the love Jesus preached. It. Is. Hard.

I believe you are zealous for truth and righteousness. I commend you for that. But Jesus has other sheep who hear his voice and follow him. They may not believe exactly as you do but that does not make them a false teacher or a heretic.

Finally, the trinity is full. Who are we to judge the heart of another? That is God's job. Not yours. And not mine.
Let's be clear - you do not believe it is false that God did NOT create the heavens, the earth, and us, and that Jesus did NOT rise bodily from the dead?

If you believe it is not false, then you, like Waco, are promoting a God and Jesus that is clearly NOT the God and Jesus of the Bible. Hence, you'd be an apostate just like he is. You'd be stealing away God's glory and power in order to accomodate your idea of "love". If your "love" is doing that, then I seriously question whether that "love" is from the Father. We are to love God first, and love others only as ourselves. Tolerating such falseness within the church is putting love of others before our love of God.

And no one is judging hearts, but people's actual stated beliefs.
JXL
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Quote:

So give it up. You lose.

The evidence that Paul did not write some of the letters attributed to him is weak at best. Paul's writings do not differ in any significant respect from the writings of Peter and the other disciples, and all of their writings were recognized as Scripture from the very earliest times (see, e.g., Clement of Rome). There is obviously evidence other than Paul's own words as to what he did, since we have an entire book (Acts) written by his companion, Luke. If you mean Joseph (rather than John) Smith, a brief study into the archaeology behind the Book of Acts compared to the Book of Mormon will demonstrate why the Bible is credible while the Book of Mormon is not.
Canada2017
bearhouse said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

They may not believe exactly as you do but that does not make them a false teacher or a heretic.

Detest these kinds of ' How many angels can fit on the head of a pin ? ' discussions and prefer not to get involved...........

However if you have read 47's comments for a few years .......it is impossible not to reach the conclusion that he is a false teacher and heretic .

Now if one wants to be generous ..........he could assume the old fella fades in and out of lucidity or his medication has a few unfortunate side affects.

Waco1947
bearhouse said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Yes, one of my intents is to challenge but like you ultimately it is the love commandment that wins all.
Waco1947
bearhouse
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Let's be clear - you do not believe it is false that God did NOT create the heavens, the earth, and us, and that Jesus did NOT rise bodily from the dead?

If you believe it is not false, then you, like Waco, are promoting a God and Jesus that is clearly NOT the God and Jesus of the Bible. Hence, you'd be an apostate just like he is. You'd be stealing away God's glory and power in order to accomodate your idea of "love". If your "love" is doing that, then I seriously question whether that "love" is from the Father. We are to love God first, and love others only as ourselves. Tolerating such falseness within the church is putting love of others before our love of God.

And how does BusyTarpDuster2017 love God first?

BaylorJacket
bearhouse said:

The power of resurrection is love and the transformed heart.
Quite possibly one of the best things I have ever read on this board. Well said.
bearhouse
BaylorJacket said:

bearhouse said:

The power of resurrection is love and the transformed heart.
Quite possibly one of the best things I have ever read on this board. Well said.

Thank you for your kind words. I would not have understood this if it weren't for my own failings. But I assure you I will also say some really stupid stuff too. :-)
BusyTarpDuster2017
bearhouse said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Could you clarify yourself first? I'm not very fond of deflection to things irrelevant.
bearhouse
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

Waco1947 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

Could you clarify yourself first? I'm not very fond of deflection to things irrelevant.
Sure. You said we are to love God first. I agree with that. But how do you do that?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.