Losin' my religion

29,793 Views | 572 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sam Lowry
J.B.Katz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

fadskier said:

TexasScientist said:

fadskier said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Yes, new. His old one was perishable. And I'm pretty sure appearing and disappearing in thin air was a new feature. Also, remember he wasn't in his glorified state yet.
So, he was in a decaying transcendental zombie state with holes either in Jerusalem or Galilee, depending upon who tells the story?

You can try to understand or, you can try to be obstinate. Either way, is speaks volumes about you.
The only thing appearing out of thin air is this story. If Jesus got up and walked out of a tomb, then he was resurrected, and if he was walking around with holes in him for Thomas et al to see, then that was his resurrected state. Clearly over time, the stories became more and more miraculous in order to sell the overall message and bolster the disillusioned.
I'm confused. What exactly are you saying? Respectfully.
I'm saying the crucifixion stories are conflicting, and they are unbelievable. They were written years later by unknown authors taken from retold and embellished oral stories, in order to bolster and promote the message of the author.
How are they conflicting and unbelievable?
Lay the text of the Gospels out side by side and go through the stories sequentially. They don't agree from the events leading up to, through the crucifixion, and after. You have to admit they are different and accept that they are different to be intellectually honest. You can rationalize it however you want, by saying they each were written at different times, by different authors, with a different message. But you have to admit they are not the same. They vary from each other. They all can't be right. I say they are unbelievable because there is no independent evidence to support the claims, and some of the claims require belief in the supernatural events from which there is no historical nor scientific verifiable evidence of support.
The Rashomon effect. People remember the same events differently because they perceive them differently.

The Bible contains a lot of truth. But reading it--especially the New Testament--as a completely reliable, inerrant history of the life of Christ--doesn't work.
Coke Bear
TexasScientist said:

Sounds like you're trying to do the convincing. Paul didn't write all of the letters attributed to him. Biblical scholars will tell you that. You'll learn that at Baylor. Paul did write some letters, and those were before the Gospels we have were written. He never mentioned the miracles of the Gospels. You say he met and talked with Jesus' disciples. Don't you think that if he had heard of such supernatural events, he would have mentioned it. Come on. That would have been pretty important information to pass on about Jesus, who he was, and his message about Jesus, and Christianity. It's pretty clear and logical that Paul didn't know about the miracle stories, which obviously evolved later.
As BusyTarp mentioned, Paul does affirm the resurrection - THE biggest miracle that Jesus did. He beat death.

His letters (agreed by scholars written by him) weren't written to affirm miracles. The churches in those cities already believed in them. The were written to encourage, give thanks for support, and correct teachings in specific churches.

You mention that we "want to believe" these events. Is it possible that you are doing the same, but on the other side? That you are trying NOT to believe? Trying disparately to counter the reasonable explanations against your narrative?
J.B.Katz
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Yes, new. His old one was perishable. And I'm pretty sure appearing and disappearing in thin air was a new feature. Also, remember he wasn't in his glorified state yet.
So, he was in a decaying transcendental zombie state with holes either in Jerusalem or Galilee, depending upon who tells the story?

You can try to understand or, you can try to be obstinate. Either way, is speaks volumes about you.
The only thing appearing out of thin air is this story. If Jesus got up and walked out of a tomb, then he was resurrected, and if he was walking around with holes in him for Thomas et al to see, then that was his resurrected state. Clearly over time, the stories became more and more miraculous in order to sell the overall message and bolster the disillusioned.
clearly, you continue to beat the wind
TS has been looking for answers with which to massage his fears for a long time .

Never accepted the answers available as worthwhile..........so the fears remain .

Resulting in persistent attacks on faith and the peace it provides.

Cause when all else fails.............misery demands company .

I suspect I'm a lot less miserable than you. I'm not fearful at all. I accept the evidence of reality.
Strongly doubt it .

Years of obsessive attacks on the exact same target is not rational behavior.

Clearly something is eating you.
I'm just giving you an alternative view that is no longer wrapped in years of religious indoctrination and mythology. That seems to bother you, because you suspect it is true. It is something you don't want to accept, and are unwilling to accept, because it goes against what you were raised to believe, reinforced to believe, and want to believe.
thank you for the information. We'll take it under advisement. Have a good day. Don't call us. Well call you.
^^ Spoken from a good Christian.
Most of these guys aren't a good argument for Christianity, as they are either a version of the black knight in Monte Python who still wants to fight after his arms and legs are lopped off or just feel empowered by the superiority of their religious beliefs to ignore the "treat others as you would have them treat you" and "love God with all your heart and soul and mind" Christian ethics. (Someone who loves God with all their heart and soul and mind can't be so casually hateful.)

And a Gaither's song done beautifully by Rhonda Vincent and her band:

LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TS has been looking for answers with which to massage his fears for a long time .

Never accepted the answers available as worthwhile..........so the fears remain .

I suspect I'm a lot less miserable than you. I'm not fearful at all. I accept the evidence of reality.
Strongly doubt it .

I'm just giving you an alternative view that is no longer wrapped in years of religious indoctrination and mythology. That seems to bother you, because you suspect it is true. It is something you don't want to accept, and are unwilling to accept, because it goes against what you were raised to believe, reinforced to believe, and want to believe.
thank you for the information. We'll take it under advisement. Have a good day. Don't call us. Well call you.
it's pearls baby. All pearls. You do your trampling
BusyTarpDuster2017
J.B.Katz said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Strongly doubt it .

Most of these guys aren't a good argument for Christianity, as they are either a version of the black knight in Monte Python who still wants to fight after his arms and legs are lopped off or just feel empowered by the superiority of their religious beliefs to ignore the "treat others as you would have them treat you" and "love God with all your heart and soul and mind" Christian ethics. (Someone who loves God with all their heart and soul and mind can't be so casually hatef
If you aren't a Christian, then how do you know what is a good argument for Christianity?
J.B.Katz
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

J.B.Katz said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Strongly doubt it .

Most of these guys aren't a good argument for Christianity, as they are either a version of the black knight in Monte Python who still wants to fight after his arms and legs are lopped off or just feel empowered by the superiority of their religious beliefs to ignore the "treat others as you would have them treat you" and "love God with all your heart and soul and mind" Christian ethics. (Someone who loves God with all their heart and soul and mind can't be so casually hatef
If you aren't a Christian, then how do you know what is a good argument for Christianity?
I'm a church-going Christian who no longer believes in God.

It's my culture. It's in my bones and my DNA-Methodist ministers back for several generations. I still pray. It's a lifelong habit. I just don't believe there's a supernatural, all-knowing God who has a vast plan that's unfolding.

If you are a Christian, why doesn't your faith inform the way you treat and talk to others? Or, if it does, how?
FLBear5630
J.B.Katz said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

J.B.Katz said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Strongly doubt it .

It's my culture. It's in my bones and my DNA-Methodist ministers back for several generations. I still pray. It's a lifelong habit. I just don't believe there's a supernatural, all-knowing God who has a vast plan that's unfolding.

If you are a Christian, why doesn't your faith inform the way you treat and talk to others? Or, if it does, how?
This is an interesting issue, I understand. Rarely miss Mass, pray every day, research, read and ask about it. But, where I am in the believe spectrum? A little right of center. But to say I have faith like some on here, blanket believe not matter what anything in the natural world shows?? Can't say I can get there.
BusyTarpDuster2017
J.B.Katz said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

J.B.Katz said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Strongly doubt it .

Your first sentence says it all. You are obviously in darkness.

And what problem do you have with how I treat and talk to others?
BusyTarpDuster2017
RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

J.B.Katz said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Strongly doubt it .

This is an interesting issue, I understand. Rarely miss Mass, pray every day, research, read and ask about it. But, where I am in the believe spectrum? A little right of center. But to say I have faith like some on here, blanket believe not matter what anything in the natural world shows?? Can't say I can get there.
Do you believe God created the universe, and us?
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

fadskier said:

TexasScientist said:

fadskier said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I'm confused. What exactly are you saying? Respectfully.
I'm saying the crucifixion stories are conflicting, and they are unbelievable. They were written years later by unknown authors taken from retold and embellished oral stories, in order to bolster and promote the message of the author.
How are they conflicting and unbelievable?
Lay the text of the Gospels out side by side and go through the stories sequentially. They don't agree from the events leading up to, through the crucifixion, and after. You have to admit they are different and accept that they are different to be intellectually honest. You can rationalize it however you want, by saying they each were written at different times, by different authors, with a different message. But you have to admit they are not the same. They vary from each other. They all can't be right. I say they are unbelievable because there is no independent evidence to support the claims, and some of the claims require belief in the supernatural events from which there is no historical nor scientific verifiable evidence of support.
Historical events always vary in the details. You're letting the supernatural events distract you.
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

J.B.Katz said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Strongly doubt it .

Do you believe God created the universe, and us?
Yes, but what is God? That is where it becomes fuzzy. Some Old Guy touching the Earth with his finger? Nature in general that has an intelligent design? A force that gets the top spinning and watches? Or, like the Greeks believed interacts with us daily? I don't know. I believe there is something responsible for all this, not just random chance. It had to come from somewhere.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Jesus validated the truth of the Hebrew God, the God of the bible. The Bible is clear that the creator of the universe is a personal being and that the creation of the universe and of us was an act of intent, purpose, and design.

Do you believe Jesus was sent by God, as Jesus claimed?
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Strongly doubt it .

I'm just giving you an alternative view that is no longer wrapped in years of religious indoctrination and mythology.
Dozens of such attacks year after year is obviously obsessive .

Clearly you are searching for some kind of healing ......but you aren't going to find it on the internet.
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Jesus validated the truth of the Hebrew God, the God of the bible. The Bible is clear that the creator of the universe is a personal being and that the creation of the universe and of us was an act of intent, purpose, and design.

You know, if I had the answers I would not be discussing the questions. Believe me, you are not who I would be coming to for guidance.
BusyTarpDuster2017
RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You know, if I had the answers I would not be discussing the questions. Believe me, you are not who I would be coming to for guidance.
Its not my purpose to make you feel comfortable or to gain your favor. Its to tell you truth. Your insults do nothing to change the truth.

So your answer to my question, "do you believe Jesus was sent by God, as Jesus claimed?" is "no", correct?
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Its not my purpose to make you feel comfortable or to gain your favor. Its to tell you truth. Your insults do nothing to change the truth.

So your answer to my question, "do you believe Jesus was sent by God, as Jesus claimed?" is "no", correct?
Insults? I don't need you to tell me your version of the truth or to tell me mine is wrong. Stay in your lane...
BusyTarpDuster2017
RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Insults? I don't need you to tell me your version of the truth or to tell me mine is wrong. Stay in your lane...
Its not my truth, but biblical truth. Nothing I said is controversial or debatable among christians. Its the the truth of your purported religion, catholicism.

So please answer my question. I believe that is your lane.
Canada2017
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Its the the truth of your purported religion, catholicism.

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .
BusyTarpDuster2017
Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .
Oh really? What have I said is untrue in catholicism?

Note: a non-answer will only prove my point.
Canada2017
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nothing I said is controversial or debatable among christians.

The self appointed Biblical Scholar / Infallible Genius .

Underappreciated inhabitant of the internet .
BusyTarpDuster2017
Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nothing I said is controversial or debatable among christians.

The self appointed Biblical Scholar / Infallible Genius .

Underappreciated inhabitant of the internet .
Basic, Christianity 101.

Available to anyone on the internet.

Still waiting for your answer.
FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .
Ding, Ding, Ding another winner! You are on today!
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

It is not for you to say if a discussion is or not allowed to occur or to determine what is right or wrong. You are what gives Christians a bad name around the world!!!
BusyTarpDuster2017
RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

It is not for you to say if a discussion is or not allowed to occur or to determine what is right or wrong. You are what gives Christians a bad name around the world!!!
How do I give Christians a bad name?

Yes, I certainly can say that if a person doesn't or can't back up what they say, that there is no truth to it.
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

Yes, I certainly can say that if a person doesn't or can't back up what they say, that there is no truth to it.
By interjecting your believes, interpretations and positions on others and then continually hounding them to prove to yourself you are right. Direct enough, for you?

Now that I think about it. You are all about dogma. You don't discuss, you won't entertain ideas outside of your dogmatic believes and you go after people who disagree. You have become the Pharisees.
Canada2017
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

You realize of course that there are tens of thousands of Christians in Texas alone..... with your exact same attitude .

They are 'right'....everyone else is 'wrong'.

And absolutely no amount of 'facts' or 'truth' will alter their Biblical arrogance in the slightest .

To even attempt such a discussion will always remain a ridiculous waste of time.
BusyTarpDuster2017
RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

By interjecting your believes, interpretations and positions on others and then continually hounding them to prove to yourself you are right. Direct enough, for you?

Now that I think about it. You are all about dogma. You don't discuss, you won't entertain ideas outside of your dogmatic believes and you go after people who disagree. You have become the Pharisees.
You have still yet to show anything that I've said that is not biblical truth - what your purported religion, Catholicism, believes. Point it out.

And note, both you and Canada have yet to answer my questions. Others are noticing your avoidance. And it is quite revealing.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

You realize of course that there are tens of thousands of Christians in Texas alone..... with your exact same attitude .

And absolutely no amount of 'facts' or 'truth' will alter their Biblical arrogance in the slightest .

To even attempt such an discussion will always remain a ridiculous waste of time.
I've simply asked you to show me how anything I've said is against YOUR Catholic beliefs.

You are avoiding answering.
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

You have still yet to show anything that I've said that is not biblical truth - what your purported religion, Catholicism, believes. Point it out.

And note, both you and Canada have yet to answer my questions. Others are noticing your avoidance. And it is quite revealing.
The only thing revealing is your hounding of people! I have said numerous times I don't know all the answers and that is why I like discussing. You on the other hand seem to know everything and are not shy in letting everyone know.

I do not know what God is and anyone that says they do is lying. Operable word "KNOW", not believe, have faith, Bible tells us, Tony Robbins says.. KNOW. You seem to be stuck on playing Christian Trivial Pursuit. You have destroyed several very interesting threads to prove you know more. Congrats...
Canada2017
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

To even attempt such an discussion will always remain a ridiculous waste of time.
I've simply asked you to show me how anything I've said is against YOUR Catholic beliefs.

Because you are not worth the effort .

Know it all Biblical fanatics never alter their mind set in the slightest.

So lets save time.

You are hereby anointed the Biblical Champion of the World Wide Web .

Well Done !

BusyTarpDuster2017
Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

Because you are not worth the effort .

Know it all Biblical fanatics never alter their mind set in the slightest.

So lets save time.

You are hereby anointed the Biblical Champion of the World Wide Web .

Well Done !

Non answer.

Sad. Man, if you're gonna come after me, come at me with something. That's twice you've fired blanks.

You're better than this.
BusyTarpDuster2017
RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

The only thing revealing is your hounding of people! I have said numerous times I don't know all the answers and that is why I like discussing. You on the other hand seem to know everything and are not shy in letting everyone know.

I do not know what God is and anyone that says they do is lying. Operable word "KNOW", not believe, have faith, Bible tells us, Tony Robbins says.. KNOW. You seem to be stuck on playing Christian Trivial Pursuit. You have destroyed several very interesting threads to prove you know more. Congrats...
So, you like discussing, but when I discuss, it's "hounding"?

Obviously, you like discussing only when you're not challenged.

I did not ask what you KNOW, I asked what you BELIEVE. As in, you know, faith?

This isn't "trivia" we are discussing. It's essential, central, and foundational beliefs of Christianity. It's quite revealing that you referred to it as such.

And I'm still waiting for your answer - do you believe Jesus was sent by the God of the Bible, as Jesus himself claims? You seemed to answer "no". Is this correct?
FLBear5630
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

This isn't "trivia" we are discussing. It's essential, central, and foundational beliefs of Christianity. It's quite revealing that you referred to it as such.

And I'm still waiting for your answer - do you believe Jesus was sent by the God of the Bible, as Jesus himself claims? You seemed to answer "no". Is this correct?
Done. I will not engage with you. Take care.
BusyTarpDuster2017
RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Canada2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

chuckle

Gotta luv the internet .

Done. I will not engage with you. Take care.
You are not put off by me, you are put off by the truth.

All I did was ask you a question. Your refusal to answer is noted.

Sometimes its what we don't say that reveals so much more than what we do say.

I'll part with you with this - though I annoyed you, you've probably benefited more from our discussion than the ones where you all pat each other on the back and enjoy the feel-goods.
J.B.Katz
RMF5630 said:

J.B.Katz said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

J.B.Katz said:

When I was growing up, in a serious of small towns, church was an important social connector.

Especially for families that moved often, as mine did, joining a church offered immediate connections where you could make friends, ask people about good doctors and dentists (a big issue when you have to find new ones every 3 years), and have social opportunities like pot lucks and picnics and Sunday school and youth groups for your kids.

I have long suspected that one factor in the decline in church attendance and membership are people whose belief in God was never strong and who don't need church as a social anchor in a society with lots of other options. My children had many friends who played travel sports that were incompatible with protestant Sunday morning church services. The Catholics, who had several options for mass, fared better.

You can choose a system of ethics and a directive to do your best to live in community without believing in a Supreme Being. Most people I consider moral role models are either not religious or practice another faith. Some of the meanest, most corrupt people I've ever known, people from whom I would never have accepted a job offer because of their reputation for humiliating or verbally abusing their staff, worked in the ministry or for publishers of Christian books and resources for church Sunday school classes and bible studies. And anybody who's ever played in sports leagues knows the dirtiest leagues are the church leagues.

I have not discussed the slow fade of my belief in God with very many people--only my spouse and a few close friends.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.