Losin' my religion

29,805 Views | 572 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sam Lowry
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Yes, new. His old one was perishable. And I'm pretty sure appearing and disappearing in thin air was a new feature. Also, remember he wasn't in his glorified state yet.
So, he was in a decaying transcendental zombie state with holes either in Jerusalem or Galilee, depending upon who tells the story?
No, zombies don't eat, talk, or retain their memory from before death. Frustration is leading you to make dumber comments.

It's kinda entertaining to watch pigs play with pearls, but c'mon man, where's your dignity? Get out of the mud, you're humiliating yourself.

https://answersingenesis.org/jesus/resurrection/the-sequence-of-christs-post-resurrection-appearances/
A lot of assumptions and melding of accounts going on there to create your own gospel.
And that iss the downfall of literalists. It is trap of their creation by insisting that the passages are literal history. because there are too many discrepancies not to mention the failure to demonstrate true.
Waco1947
fadskier
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Yes, new. His old one was perishable. And I'm pretty sure appearing and disappearing in thin air was a new feature. Also, remember he wasn't in his glorified state yet.
So, he was in a decaying transcendental zombie state with holes either in Jerusalem or Galilee, depending upon who tells the story?

You can try to understand or, you can try to be obstinate. Either way, is speaks volumes about you.
The only thing appearing out of thin air is this story. If Jesus got up and walked out of a tomb, then he was resurrected, and if he was walking around with holes in him for Thomas et al to see, then that was his resurrected state. Clearly over time, the stories became more and more miraculous in order to sell the overall message and bolster the disillusioned.
I'm confused. What exactly are you saying? Respectfully.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
william
Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You can try to understand or, you can try to be obstinate. Either way, is speaks volumes about you.
The only thing appearing out of thin air is this story. If Jesus got up and walked out of a tomb, then he was resurrected, and if he was walking around with holes in him for Thomas et al to see, then that was his resurrected state. Clearly over time, the stories became more and more miraculous in order to sell the overall message and bolster the disillusioned.
clearly, you continue to beat the wind
TS has been looking for answers with which to massage his fears for a long time .

Never accepted the answers available as worthwhile..........so the fears remain .

Resulting in persistent attacks on faith and the peace it provides.

Cause when all else fails.............misery demands company .

this man has seen a javelina before.

obvious from the tone and text.

- tbp*

{ clatter }

{ slurping coffee }

Go Bears!
JXL
Waco1947 said:

I John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

This is the verse before your citation. We are called to "test the spirits whether they are from God>'
I John is clear about the meaning of "from God." 'From God' goes to the heart of the nature of God which is "love." If a spirit fails that test then it is not of God.

Read the entire passage. The way you test the spirits is if they confess that Jesus Christ is come (not "was come," past tense, but "is come," present tense) in the flesh. The passage is talking about those early Gnostics who taught that the resurrected Christ was not flesh but spirit.

https://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1-300/gnosticism-11629621.html

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Waco1947
JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

I John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

This is the verse before your citation. We are called to "test the spirits whether they are from God>'
I John is clear about the meaning of "from God." 'From God' goes to the heart of the nature of God which is "love." If a spirit fails that test then it is not of God.

Read the entire passage. The way you test the spirits is if they confess that Jesus Christ is come (not "was come," past tense, but "is come," present tense) in the flesh. The passage is talking about those early Gnostics who taught that the resurrected Christ was not flesh but spirit.

https://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1-300/gnosticism-11629621.html

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

I did and here it. Sure confessing that Jesus is come is important (and I do) but the text is clear about the nature of God.
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017
RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I still don't know why we get bogged down in the details we may or more likely not agree on and focus on the message and how to do it in day to day life.
What is the message?
I would say Mark says it:

The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news'" (Mark 1:14-15).

Justice, mercy, and faithfulness to God?

I know I am on dangerous ground...
What's the good news?
Sir, please don't bog us down with those "details".
Ask Mark...

But, try this...

We don't have to pay the high price of our sin ourselves. Jesus paid it for us. Although he lived a sinless life, because of God's great love for us (John 3:16), he sacrificed his Son to atone for our sins. We can be redeemed from our sin by accepting the free gift of eternal life that comes through faith in Jesus Christ. And if that weren't enough, God even supplies the faith for us. "For by grace have you been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselvesit is the gift of God, not of works, so that no one can boast." (Eph. 2:8-9)

That what you looking for?

Well frankly, no. You predictably failed to mention the one thing that makes the "free gift of eternal life" possible. The thing without which renders your faith "useless" and "futile" as explained in I Corinthians 15. The very thing which proved he was truly sent by God, instead of being just another man who said good words, but who lies dead and buried like all the other failed messiahs. The very thing which transformed the disciples from hiding cowards with crushed hope, into bold proclaimers of the gospel, and did so even at the expense of their own lives. The very reason the gospel has power and authority, hence its global spread. The central hope of every Christian that has ever lived.

But that's just me. It's Sam Lowry who asked you, so tell him. I have a feeling he'll agree with me.
How does adding the resurrection change any of that message? The resurrection is the how, not the what. He asked what is the good news. This is what pisses me off about people like you, my definition is correct according to almost every Christian Church. Adding your reading is still correct, not using exactly what you want to see does not make it wrong.
There isn't a true Christian or church I know that would think leaving out the central event in Christianity from the "good news" is suitable. And when such a glaring omission is pointed out, a Christian getting "pissed off" is very odd, and telling.

But you won't accept this from me. Perhaps from one of your Catholic brethren? Sam? CokeBear? You guys talk to him.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

I did and here it. Sure confessing that Jesus is come is important (and I do) but the text is clear about the nature of God.

Come.....in the flesh, right? So no, you don't.
The text is also quite clear about the physical nature of Jesus' resurrection too. But that doesn't stop you.
Canada2017
william said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TS has been looking for answers with which to massage his fears for a long time .

Never accepted the answers available as worthwhile..........so the fears remain .

this man has seen a javelina before.

obvious from the tone and text.

- tbp*

{ clatter }

{ slurping coffee }

Javelina's are scary beasts.
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I still don't know why we get bogged down in the details we may or more likely not agree on and focus on the message and how to do it in day to day life.
What is the message?

The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news'" (Mark 1:14-15).

What's the good news?
Ask Mark...

But, try this...

We don't have to pay the high price of our sin ourselves. Jesus paid it for us. Although he lived a sinless life, because of God's great love for us (John 3:16), he sacrificed his Son to atone for our sins. We can be redeemed from our sin by accepting the free gift of eternal life that comes through faith in Jesus Christ. And if that weren't enough, God even supplies the faith for us. "For by grace have you been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselvesit is the gift of God, not of works, so that no one can boast." (Eph. 2:8-9)

I think Bishop Robert Barron says it well:

Quote:

What Precisely Is The Gospel?

The basic meaning of the "Good News" is the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. When the first Christians announced euangelion (glad tidings), that's what they meant. "You killed him, but God raised him up" is the basic form of kerygmatic preaching. What this entails is that God's love is more powerful than sin and death, more powerful than anything that is in the world. On fire with this good news, St. Paul could say Iesous Kyrios (Jesus is Lord), as opposed to Kaiser Kyrios (Caesar is Lord). The Good News is that the new and authentic King has won the decisive victory -- and now it's time to join his army. On the Catholic reading, this implies that one should become a member of the mystical body of the Church.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

What is the message?

What's the good news?
Ask Mark...

But, try this...

I think Bishop Robert Barron says it well:

Quote:

What Precisely Is The Gospel?

The basic meaning of the "Good News" is the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. When the first Christians announced euangelion (glad tidings), that's what they meant. "You killed him, but God raised him up" is the basic form of kerygmatic preaching. What this entails is that God's love is more powerful than sin and death, more powerful than anything that is in the world. On fire with this good news, St. Paul could say Iesous Kyrios (Jesus is Lord), as opposed to Kaiser Kyrios (Caesar is Lord). The Good News is that the new and authentic King has won the decisive victory -- and now it's time to join his army. On the Catholic reading, this implies that one should become a member of the mystical body of the Church.

Mine was from a Catholic source as well. I think the source I used assumed Catholics understood the resurrection is part of the sacrifice Jesus made and the redemption from his gift of eternal life. This Board has a tendency to look for and react to exact phrases.
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

With logic.
BaylorFTW
Not the first time someone chose politics over their faith and won't be the last. Once you reject the bible as the Word of God or do Satan's trick of "did God say..." this is where that path takes you. And eventually it leads to a works based faith and/or atheism if they think about it long enough as they replace God with man as the Savior.

The grass withers and the flowers fade...
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

No, zombies don't eat, talk, or retain their memory from before death. Frustration is leading you to make dumber comments.

It's kinda entertaining to watch pigs play with pearls, but c'mon man, where's your dignity? Get out of the mud, you're humiliating yourself.

https://answersingenesis.org/jesus/resurrection/the-sequence-of-christs-post-resurrection-appearances/
A lot of assumptions and melding of accounts going on there to create your own gospel.
Create our own gospel? It's the exact same facts and story.

Watching your argument devolve as you get frustrated is interesting.

Melding of accounts? Yes, that's called harmonizing the gospels. What every fair-minded, intelligent person would do.
When you do that, you've created a third gospel, something different from the originals.
TexasScientist
Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I suspect I'm a lot less miserable than you. I'm not fearful at all. I accept the evidence of reality.
TexasScientist
fadskier said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I'm saying the crucifixion stories are conflicting, and they are unbelievable. They were written years later by unknown authors taken from retold and embellished oral stories, in order to bolster and promote the message of the author.
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I suspect I'm a lot less miserable than you. I'm not fearful at all. I accept the evidence of reality.
Strongly doubt it .

Years of obsessive attacks on the exact same target is not rational behavior.

Clearly something is eating you.
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Melding of accounts? Yes, that's called harmonizing the gospels. What every fair-minded, intelligent person would do.
When you do that, you've created a third gospel, something different from the originals.
Good lord, you are either extremely dishonest, or you are just not that bright.
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

fadskier said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I'm saying the crucifixion stories are conflicting, and they are unbelievable. They were written years later by unknown authors taken from retold and embellished oral stories, in order to bolster and promote the message of the author.
The crucifixion and resurrection as told in the Gospels is exactly what the Apostle Paul proclaimed. He met and talked with Jesus' disciples IN PERSON. His letters we have today were written BY HIM. They weren't embellished oral stories.

You have nothing, but the really sad part is you don't care. You'll continue to repeat this brainless stuff over and over again as if you're really trying to convince yourself, more than to convince others.
LIB,MR BEARS
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Good lord, you are either extremely dishonest, or you are just not that bright.
he only applies this "logic" to the gospels. If he were honest, he'd apply the same thought process to science or history and realize that type of "logic" is very flawed.
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

I did and here it. is Sure confessing that Jesus is come is important (and I do) but the text is clear about the nature of God.

The text is also quite clear about the physical nature of Jesus' resurrection too. But that doesn't stop you.
Come in the flesh, lived in the flesh, and died in the flesh. Again the text is clear about the nature of God which you are ignoring.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Dusty "The crucifixion and resurrection as told in the Gospels is exactly what the Apostle Paul proclaimed. He met and talked with Jesus' disciples IN PERSON. His letters we have today were written BY HIM. They weren't embellished oral stories.

I Corinthians 15: 3 For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures 4 and that he was buried and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures 5 and
that he appeared to Cephas, He appeared to Mary Magdalene First at the tomb. John
Matthew 28:9 Suddenly Jesus met them and said, "Greetings!" And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers and sisters to go to Galilee; there they will see me."

It's not "exactly as Paul wrote" Literalist and inerrancy folk run a foul of the actual scriptures.

PS There is no need to be ugly to TXS for his challenges.
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

I did and here it. is Sure confessing that Jesus is come is important (and I do) but the text is clear about the nature of God.

Come in the flesh, lived in the flesh, and died in the flesh. Again the text is clear about the nature of God which you are ignoring.
But how do you know God is spirit? You are getting this information from the text that you believe is all made up, right? I mean, if the text clearly indicates Jesus' resurrected body was physical, but you dismiss that as just a made up story, then how come the text saying God is spirit isn't made up as well?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

Dusty "The crucifixion and resurrection as told in the Gospels is exactly what the Apostle Paul proclaimed. He met and talked with Jesus' disciples IN PERSON. His letters we have today were written BY HIM. They weren't embellished oral stories.

I Corinthians 15: 3 For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures 4 and that he was buried and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures 5 and
that he appeared to Cephas, He appeared to Mary Magdalene First at the tomb. John
Matthew 28:9 Suddenly Jesus met them and said, "Greetings!" And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers and sisters to go to Galilee; there they will see me."

It's not "exactly as Paul wrote" Literalist and inerrancy folk run a foul of the actual scriptures.

Do you really think I meant their accounts were going to be exactly the same? Good grief.

It means that Paul preached exactly what his disciples did, that Jesus was crucified, was dead, and was raised.

But, to humor you, where exactly do you see their accounts conflicting? This may be a fruitless endeavor to get you to understand, but what the hey.
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

But how do you know God is spirit? You are getting this information from the text that you believe is all made up, right? I mean, if the text clearly indicates Jesus' resurrected body was physical, but you dismiss that as just a made up story, then how come the text saying God is spirit isn't made up as well?
Stop telling me what I believe. I read the actual texts. Respond to me with your knowledge not what you "make up" about me.
Waco1947
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Do you really think I meant their accounts were going to be exactly the same? Good grief.

It means that Paul preached exactly what his disciples did, that Jesus was crucified, was dead, and was raised.

But, to humor you, where exactly do you see their accounts conflicting? This may be a fruitless endeavor to get you to understand, but what the hey.
It make no sense to me to Paul says exactly what the gospels" then I show you passages where it not exact. You can't have it both ways. Your very argument seems to impinges on the word "exactly." Either it exact or it is not.
PS Stop putting me down by 'humoring me.' because it is not Christlike and you are a disciple.
Waco1947
J.B.Katz
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I've been happier since I stopped believing in God.

The world is a very dark place right now. Legislators in some states view 2nd Amendment rights as so absolute they are unmoved by massacres of elementary school kids, teachers and mothers and grandmothers shopping for groceries, while touting laws that allow government inspection of the genitals of children, a level of creepy that should bother anybody who claims to be a proponent of small government. (And doesn't the 4th amendment prohibit unreasonable searches? If inspecting the genitals of a kid isn't an unreasonable search, nothing else in the constitution is worth the paper it's written on.)

That makes me fear for the future of American democracy, and many people no longer care if we are a democracy--they just want their hate-fueled ideology to dominate and follow a man whose bitter contempt toward everyone, including his supporters, is somehow an attraction. And many do this while also claiming to follow Jesus Christ, whose ethic was a love and a call to live in community with the poor and meek that was and still is radical. Jesus is the antithesis of Donald Trump. Can you imagine him at Mar A Lago?

The idea that God would preside over endless mass-murder touted as a necessary evil by people who loudly claim to be Christian and pro-life is much more depressing than what I think is the truth: We make and choose our own purpose and fate, and there will be no deus ex machina to bail us out if we make the planet unlivable for most people, which we're on target to do.

My simple goal was to leave the campsite better than I found it. Given the current political environment and the fact that a significant portion of the U.S. population is allergic to facts, like climate change is real and Trump lost the election, there's nothing I can do about that.

Except what I learned in church: Try to treat other people the way I'd like them to treat me and try to love my neighbor. I chose my current church because it offers lots of service opportunities and it challenges people to live in a community that extends beyond the church walls, the denomination and political beliefs. Those are hard challenges, and I fail everyday. But getting up every day and trying to do better is my form of faith. It is the ethic I learned in church as a child.

(Cue the snarky suggestions that I walk everywhere and live in a cave with no electricity, as if I can single-handedly change the fate of the planet. I have to live and work in the society we have, and until we have the will to work together to keep the planet livable, that means small changes and thoughtful choices about food and travel instead of moving off the grid and eating locusts and honey.)
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

Stop telling me what I believe. I read the actual texts. Respond to me with your knowledge not what you "make up" about me.
You told us what you believe. You told us you believe the scriptural claims of the nature of Jesus' resurrection body being physical isn't literal or real; so why do you believe the scriptural claims of the nature of God, that He is love and spirit, is literal and real?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

It make no sense to me to Paul says exactly what the gospels" then I show you passages where it not exact. You can't have it both ways. Your very argument seems to impinges on the word "exactly." Either it exact or it is not.
PS Stop putting me down by 'humoring me.' because it is not Christlike and you are a disciple.
I did not say "Paul says exactly what the gospels [say]". Read the sentence again:

"The crucifixion and resurrection as told in the Gospels is exactly what the Apostle Paul proclaimed."

This means that what the gospels claim - that Jesus was crucified, died, and then was raised to life - is exactly what Paul preached. There is no difference between them regarding these claims.

It does not mean that the text of the gospels and the text of Paul's letters regarding the crucifixion and resurrection accounts match word for word. If you seriously think that's what it meant, then you have a really bad comprehension problem. Stop putting you down? Stop putting yourself down by writing nonsense.
Coke Bear
J.B.Katz said:

I chose my current church because it offers lots of service opportunities and it challenges people to live in a community that extends beyond the church walls, the denomination and political beliefs. Those are hard challenges, and I fail everyday. But getting up every day and trying to do better is my form of faith. It is the ethic I learned in church as a child.
Serious question... Why waste your time at a church if you don't believe in God?

What is the point in doing good? What does it matter if at the end of life we just die with no afterlife?

Why not maximize your money, power, material items?
Canada2017
Coke Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

I chose my current church because it offers lots of service opportunities and it challenges people to live in a community that extends beyond the church walls, the denomination and political beliefs. Those are hard challenges, and I fail everyday. But getting up every day and trying to do better is my form of faith. It is the ethic I learned in church as a child.
Serious question... Why waste your time at a church if you don't believe in God?

Has often stated she likes the choir music.

( gotta luv the internet )
FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

Isn't that better than I feel obligated or my family will disown me?
fadskier
TexasScientist said:

fadskier said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

How are they conflicting and unbelievable?
fadskier
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

He did not say that the two accounts were exact. But since you lie and deceive all the time, you already knew that.
Canada2017
RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

Isn't that better than I feel obligated or my family will disown me?
Don't care either way.

J.B.Katz
Coke Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

What is the point in doing good? What does it matter if at the end of life we just die with no afterlife?

Why not maximize your money, power, material items?

First, I don't consider my church a waste of time. I have never considered church a waste of time. Anyone who is attending a church that's a waste of time should find another church. pronto.

I am frequently humbled by the sermons our pastor preaches. I go to church to learn and serve.

Second, your question implies that the only reason someone would want to do good in this lifetime is to earn a reward in the afterlife. I'm very uncomfortable with that motiviation for following whatever religious rules you believe are essential.

I am also very uncomfortable with telling people they need to be saved to avoid going to hell. If avoiding hell is all people want as the desired outcome and the main reason why they "accept Jesus," then their faith is self-serving and fear-motivated. I think love and service are healthier motivations.

You don't need to believe in God to want to serve others.

Or to cherish a strong belief that all of us are lucky to be here, and that we should strive to leave the campsite better than we found it so our children and grandchildren have better prospects for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Or at least as good as ours.

My heart is broken because I do not believe this is the case for my children and their chldren.

I chose a church that is committed not just to preaching, but to actively living the gospel of Jesus Christ. I believe Jesus was a real person and a holy person, and that his perspective was so radically and profoundly different that books were written about him at a time when almost no one was literate.

Whether I believe in God as a supernatural being I will meet in the afterlife is irrelevant to my strong belief in the basic principle underlying the Christian faith: that we must live in community for everyone to thrive, and that doing the right thing is its own reward.

My problem with lots of churches is they do not want to live in community. They refer contemptuously to nonbelievers and those of other faiths as "the world" and hold themselves apart as possessed of superior morals and knowledge. One thing the Bible preaches loudly about is being humble. A church that claims to have the only right answer, and that vigorously, viciously rejects everyone outside its congregants, is not humble. The good Samaritan parable has something to say about that-and about the fact that people who don't share your faith, ethnicity and traditions can do the right thing and be good people.

I worry that religions that promise rewards after death for following the church rules (and not for doing the right thing--the Southern Baptist Convention and the Catholic priesthood have shown us that religeous leaders are much more concerned with gaining members and treasure for their institutions than they are about the physicial and mental health and safety of the women and children in their congregations, whose abuse was ignored for decades), especially churches that preach that all you have to do to gain those rewards is ask God for forgiveness right before you die, send a message that you can live a life like Donald Trump's, full of adultery, sexual sin, financial shenanigans, cheating, lying, self-dealing,bullying and rejecting the rule of law, and be amply rewarded for it as long as you're a man (see: Beth Moore) with lots of money or influence.

P.S. I realized I forgot to answer your question about material goods. My spouse & I started with nothing but our college educations at Baylor and parents who could loan us the downpayment on our first house (which we repaid), and we both made a good living but we will both work past retirement age to make sure both of our children own a house outright, because that's a concrete thing we can do to make their lives easier in what I believe are hard times coming. We have material comfort and are financially secure. Our income places us above the 90th percentile of American incomes. But we don't consider ourselves wealthy, we're not members of a country club (much less a club like Mar A Lago)--and we feel fortunate we have done as well as we have and that we can contribute to our children's comfort and security and to our church and community. Living a Mar A Lago life was never an aspiration. Because then you have to deal with the kind of people for whom that's the only aspiration.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.