Man sentenced to 7 years in Jan. 6 assaults that forced an officer to retire

18,936 Views | 480 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Redbrickbear
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't find the "rowdy tourists guilty" thread. Here's a new one

Man sentenced to 7 years in Jan. 6 assaults that forced an officer to retire
Prosecutors sought a 15-year term for Kyle Fitzsimons, whose attack on one officer forced him into medical retirement
The bloodied face of Kyle Fitzsimons, a butcher from Maine who repeatedly attacked police officers at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, became one of the more memorable images of the insurrection. A federal judge supplied the last line of the caption for that image Thursday, ordering Fitzsimons to spend more than seven years in prison.
Fitzsimons, 39, wearing a butcher's coat with "Kyle" embroidered on the chest and wielding an unstrung archery bow, twice charged into the phalanx of officers protecting the upper West Terrace tunnel on the afternoon of Jan. 6, at one point grabbing the shield strap and wrenching the shoulder of Capitol Police Sgt. Aquilino Gonell. The officer testified that the pain was so bad he considered using his gun to shoot Fitzsimons before he was freed. He suffered a partially torn rotator cuff and labrum, and was forced to take a medical retirement.
Video also captured Fitzsimons hurling his bow like a spear into the crowd of officers, striking one in the head, and also being involved in a tussle with D.C. Police Sgt. Phuson Nguyen, during which the officer's gas mask was dislodged and another rioter then poured chemical spray into Nguyen's face before the mask snapped shut. Nguyen testified that he got knocked down at the same time, and "I thought that was it for me. I thought that's where I'm going to die."

Pushed back from the tunnel, Fitzsimons can be seen on video gathering himself, and then simply running back into the police lines again, fists flailing. During these attacks, Fitzsimons was hit from behind by a crutch being swung by another rioter, surveillance video showed, opening up the bloody head wound which later required staples to close. Fitzsimons's trial attorney, Natasha Taylor-Smith, said the gory photo made Fitzsimons "the poster boy for Jan. 6."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/07/13/kyle-fitzsimons-sentenced-jan6/

william
did those coffee drinkin' grannies ever do time?

PA.

- UL
Go Bears!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Too bad he didn't have a bag of cocaine. He would have been invisible and not charged.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
EatMoreSalmon
He should be in prison. And RD has a point about the state of the justice system that will continue to encourage knuckleheads to do boneheaded things.
sombear
Worst part of this to me is there are millions of Trumpers who do not believe or just don't know that this kind of stuff happened on J6. They truly buy into the peaceful protest/cops let everyone in narrative. Sad.
Harrison Bergeron
Longer sentence than one gets for killing a black man in many regressive sentences.
BearN
sombear said:

Worst part of this to me is there are millions of Trumpers who do not believe or just don't know that this kind of stuff happened on J6. They truly buy into the peaceful protest/cops let everyone in narrative. Sad.
Yes, this one person deserves prison. Worst part of this to me is there are millions of people like you who believe this proves everyone there that day did things like this. They truly buy into the insurrection and "worst thing in the history of this country" and that anyone there on Jan 6 should be locked up forever.

sombear
BearN said:

sombear said:

Yes, this one person deserves prison. Worst part of this to me is there are millions of people like you who believe this proves everyone there that day did things like this. They truly buy into the insurrection and "worst thing in the history of this country" and that anyone there on Jan 6 should be locked up forever.

Actually, I've posted more times than I can count that (1) it was not an insurrection, (2) Trump is not criminally liable, (3) the J6 committee/hearings were a joke, and (4) much of the sentencing is far out of whack.

Nice try though.

But J6 was a horrific day, and our former commander-in-chief was a selfish coward.
Wangchung
sombear said:

BearN said:

sombear said:

Actually, I've posted more times than I can count that (1) it was not an insurrection, (2) Trump is not criminally liable, (3) the J6 committee/hearings were a joke, and (4) much of the sentencing is far out of whack.

Nice try though.

But J6 was a horrific day, and our former commander-in-chief was a selfish coward.
When people make references to Jan 6th as a peaceful protest and the like it is NOT an attempt
to convince you it was peaceful or mere tourists. It's a reference to how the 8 months of deadly democrat riots were covered by the media and referenced by democrats in comparison to the fake outrage over Jan 6th, which saw FAR less destruction and violence by literally every metric.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

sombear said:

BearN said:

sombear said:

Nice try though.

When people make references to Jan 6th as a peaceful protest and the like it is NOT an attempt
to convince you it was peaceful or mere tourists. It's a reference to how the 8 months of deadly democrat riots were covered by the media and referenced by democrats in comparison to the fake outrage over Jan 6th, which saw FAR less destruction and violence by literally every metric.
The BLM riots during that summer were outrageous and the perps should have been prosecuted.

However, you have an interesting approach to law enforcement. It seems to be the "what about" doctrine. That is, if every single crime isn't prosecuted then the Jan rioters shouldn't be prosecuted. If McCabe wasn't prosecuted then Trump can't be prosecuted for anything he does.

Where does it stop? Dems are saying since Trump isn't in prison Hunter can't be prosecuted.
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

BearN said:

sombear said:

Nice try though.

The BLM riots during that summer were outrageous and the perps should have been prosecuted.

However, you have an interesting approach to law enforcement. It seems to be the "what about" doctrine. That is, if every single crime isn't prosecuted then the Jan rioters shouldn't be prosecuted. If McCabe wasn't prosecuted then Trump can't be prosecuted for anything he does.

Where does it stop? Dems are saying since Trump isn't in prison Hunter can't be prosecuted.
That's not my approach to law enforcement, it is my approach to conversations with people who pretend Jan6th almost toppled democracy while also pretending 8 months of democrat cheered and sponsored riots that killed Americans and police while destroying businesses and federal buildings was justified.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

BearN said:

sombear said:

Nice try though.

That's not my approach to law enforcement, it is my approach to conversations with people who pretend Jan6th almost toppled democracy while also pretending 8 months of democrat cheered and sponsored riots that killed Americans and police while destroying businesses and federal buildings was justified.
Trump told the demonstrators to go to the Capitol and "I'll go with you".

He summoned the mob, he knew the crowd was armed, and he told the crowd to "fight like hell". Other speakers urged "trial by combat" and asked the crowd to sacrifice "their blood, their sweat, their tears" and even perhaps their very lives.
When the attack was under way, he inflamed the crowd by tweeting that "Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what was necessary." In his speech the morning of Jan. 6, Trump invoked Pence several times. Drafts of the speech did not mention the vice president, but Trump added in lines and ad-libbed more, Aguilar said. Hearings later this month will detail that process further, he said.

"All Mike Pence has to do is send it back to the states to recertify, and we become president and you are the happiest people," Trump told his supporters.
KaiBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Too bad he didn't have a bag of cocaine. He would have been invisible and not charged.
Amazing how the major news outlests dont even ask how not a single interior camera recorded who left the coke.

Our media is a sick joke.
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

BearN said:

sombear said:

Nice try though.

Trump told the demonstrators to go to the Capitol and "I'll go with you".

He summoned the mob, he knew the crowd was armed, and he told the crowd to "fight like hell". Other speakers urged "trial by combat" and asked the crowd to sacrifice "their blood, their sweat, their tears" and even perhaps their very lives.
When the attack was under way, he inflamed the crowd by tweeting that "Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what was necessary." In his speech the morning of Jan. 6, Trump invoked Pence several times. Drafts of the speech did not mention the vice president, but Trump added in lines and ad-libbed more, Aguilar said. Hearings later this month will detail that process further, he said.

"All Mike Pence has to do is send it back to the states to recertify, and we become president and you are the happiest people," Trump told his supporters.
Osodecentx
That's not all he said or did. He summoned the mob, he knew the crowd was armed, and he told the crowd to "fight like hell". Other speakers urged "trial by combat" and asked the crowd to sacrifice "their blood, their sweat, their tears" and even perhaps their very lives.

Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

That's not all he said or did. He summoned the mob, he knew the crowd was armed, and he told the crowd to "fight like hell". Other speakers urged "trial by combat" and asked the crowd to sacrifice "their blood, their sweat, their tears" and even perhaps their very lives.

There is a reason I provided video evidence. Can't parse unedited video. He concluded his speech by telling people to demonstrate peacefully and patriotically. You can't parse your way out of that fact.
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

There is a reason I provided video evidence. Can't parse unedited video. He concluded his speech by telling people to demonstrate peacefully and patriotically. You can't parse your way out of that fact.

Trump's a bad guy
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy
He is an orange buffoon, that's for sure, but he is nothing even remotely close to the caricature the left has created.
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy
He is an orange buffoon, that's for sure, but he is nothing even remotely close to the caricature the left has created.

Always Trump All The Time
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Are you narrating your thoughts now? Hahaha
curtpenn
sombear said:

Probably don't care. I'm not a Trumper. I don't care.
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Weak
4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Are you narrating your thoughts now?Hahaha
Weak
should have used a gif, Oso likes gifs
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Are you narrating your thoughts now?Hahaha
Weak
should have used a gif, Oso likes gifs

True dat
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Weak
Okay, now you're just describing your thoughts. Go back to narrating.
Thee University
January 6 wasn't even a popcorn fart to what we will see very soon. 1/6 might have just as soon been a prayer meeting.

Many who hid in the buildings from this demonstrating crowd likely soiled their panties while crying on each other's soft shoulders. I would have loved seeing a number of the politicians roughed up, knocked down, given noogies and dry shampoos.

Pelosi felt up. Fat lil Jerry Nadler knocked down and drug around by the heels. Richard Blumenthal made to dress in REAL Vietnam combat gear with medals on his concave chest. Bernie Sanders stripped down to his Depends and paraded around DC. The list is endless.

BLM & Antifa members did far worse and got a kitchen pass. We need to hold lawbreakers responsible.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Weak
Much weaker

I Understand it's tough being Always Trump All the Time
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Weak
Much weaker

When it gets to the same level of weakness as your argument of "orange man bad, facts are racist" let me know. Then I'll worry.
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Weak
Much weaker

When it gets to the same level of weakness as your argument of "orange man bad, facts are racist" let me know. Then I'll worry.

Much, much weaker
Go buy a Trump trading card
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Weak
Much weaker

Much, much weaker
Go read Lawnboy to a 6 year old and burn down your local gas station in the name of a crackhead that got themselves killed by police.
Osodecentx
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Weak
Much weaker

Much, much weaker
Go read Lawnboy to a 6 year old and burn down your local gas station in the name of a crackhead that got themselves killed by police.

Is this your best?

That's cool
Porteroso
Harrison Bergeron said:

Longer sentence than one gets for killing a black man in many regressive sentences.

Harming a cop has always resulted in a longer sentence than murdering a black American, the discrepancy being larger the further back you go in time.

Wouldn't have pegged you as an institutionalized racism guy but ok.
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Trump's a bad guy

Weak
Much weaker

Much, much weaker

Is this your best?

That's cool
We'll it was difficult to match the rapier wit and vast intellect it took to come up with"Orange Man BAD!!!" and "Trump trading card" but I managed.
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Osodecentx said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

BearN said:

sombear said:

Nice try though.

It's your approach to anyone who acknowledges Trump's responsibility for the insurrection, regardless of what else they may believe.
sombear
curtpenn said:

sombear said:

Probably don't care. I'm not a Trumper. I don't care.
You don't care that 140 police officers were injured, and video alone shows over 1000 assaults on police officers?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.