Khashoggi

27,339 Views | 292 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carlos Safety said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Lol. The same country whose leaders have vowed "Death to America" and refers to us as "the Great Satan?" Yeah, I don't think they're of a mind to have a "better relationship," at least in the way that normal humans think of a relationship. The only way to deal with lunatics like that is through strength, because that's all they understand and respect.
Rhetoric is just that. Their actions have been largely responsible for the decimation of ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

Just because they backed their boy Assad, another ruthless dictator, doesn't make them the good guys all of the sudden.
Of course not. But it all goes back to what our goals are, or what they should be. I say fight terrorism. If Iran can help us do that, it's for the better. If we're more interested in destabilizing Syria and keeping Al Qaeda and ISIS on life support to further the goal of regime change, I admit Iran won't be much help.
It's all about competing religious views and furtherance of those beliefs. Iran's policies have nothing to do with preventing terrorism or assisting us in any shape or fashion in fighting terrorism. They are all barbaric countries with barbaric religous beliefs. Cooperation with the U.S. is contingent to what is expedient at the moment, financially and strategically.
You are reading material into the text that is not there. That is not very scientific.
I don't thinks so. This discussion is not about science.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Lol. The same country whose leaders have vowed "Death to America" and refers to us as "the Great Satan?" Yeah, I don't think they're of a mind to have a "better relationship," at least in the way that normal humans think of a relationship. The only way to deal with lunatics like that is through strength, because that's all they understand and respect.
Rhetoric is just that. Their actions have been largely responsible for the decimation of ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

Just because they backed their boy Assad, another ruthless dictator, doesn't make them the good guys all of the sudden.
Of course not. But it all goes back to what our goals are, or what they should be. I say fight terrorism. If Iran can help us do that, it's for the better. If we're more interested in destabilizing Syria and keeping Al Qaeda and ISIS on life support to further the goal of regime change, I admit Iran won't be much help.
It's all about competing religious views and furtherance of those beliefs. Iran's policies have nothing to do with preventing terrorism or assisting us in any shape or fashion in fighting terrorism. They are all barbaric countries with barbaric religous beliefs. Cooperation with the U.S. is contingent to what is expedient at the moment, financially and strategically.
So what? Our cooperation with other countries is contingent on what's expedient for us, or at least it should be.
All I'm pointing out is that none of them should be trusted as long as their societies are held captive to their religion. Terrorism is a part of their way of life. In the case of Iran, their interest in defeating ISIS is for control of competing religious ideology and dominance in the Middle East, not fighting terrorism. They are just as intent on bringing down the U. S. and the Saudis they are ISIS.
I have not seen evidence of that. Iran is actively at war against ISIS; not so against the US.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/09/28/u-s-closes-consulate-southern-iraq-following-attacks-blames-iran/1461122002/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-blames-iran-for-iraq-attacks-threatens-to-respond-decisively/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-iran/iran-attacks-iranian-kurdish-opposition-group-base-in-iraq-idUSKCN1LO0KZ
This only proves my point. You have a couple of attacks, described as "rare," without casualties, against mainly Iraqi assets, by unknown parties, possibly in retaliation for the burning of an Iranian consulate and the offices of a pro-Iran militia, and not necessarily with Iran's knowledge. The third item is an attack on Kurdish rebels and doesn't involve us even indirectly. Sounds far from a determined effort to bring down the US.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

So what? Our cooperation with other countries is contingent on what's expedient for us, or at least it should be.
All I'm pointing out is that none of them should be trusted as long as their societies are held captive to their religion. Terrorism is a part of their way of life. In the case of Iran, their interest in defeating ISIS is for control of competing religious ideology and dominance in the Middle East, not fighting terrorism. They are just as intent on bringing down the U. S. and the Saudis they are ISIS.
I have not seen evidence of that. Iran is actively at war against ISIS; not so against the US.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/09/28/u-s-closes-consulate-southern-iraq-following-attacks-blames-iran/1461122002/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-blames-iran-for-iraq-attacks-threatens-to-respond-decisively/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-iran/iran-attacks-iranian-kurdish-opposition-group-base-in-iraq-idUSKCN1LO0KZ
This only proves my point. You have a couple of attacks, described as "rare," without casualties, against mainly Iraqi assets, by unknown parties, possibly in retaliation for the burning of an Iranian consulate and the offices of a pro-Iran militia, and not necessarily with Iran's knowledge. The third item is an attack on Kurdish rebels and doesn't involve us even indirectly. Sounds far from a determined effort to bring down the US.
You don't understand the Middle East. Iran is doing everything it can to destabilize those aligned with U.S. interests. (Kurds, Iraqis, Israelis, Saudis).
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

You don't understand the Middle East. Iran is doing everything it can to destabilize those aligned with U.S. interests. (Kurds, Iraqis, Israelis, Saudis).
Tell that to ISIS.
bubbadog
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

I take your point, but I would add that much of Iran's actions are more understandable through the lens of regional power struggles rather than hatred of the US by Iran's leaders (though this is certainly a factor). And in addition to simple regional power struggles, you can add Sunni-Shia conflict to the dynamic.

The Iranians are fighting a proxy war in Yemen against the Saudis because of both regional power and religious reasons. They're dominating Iraq, as they were inevitably going to do once Saddam was gone and a Shia majority asserted its power, because of religious reasons. And that's also part of the reason for their involvement in Syria. Assad is from a religious minority and was the protector of other religious minorities in Syria (including Christians) against the Sunni majority. That creates a common interest for the Iranians, on top of which is power and influence that gives Iran a lever against both Israel and, to a lesser extent, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
TexasScientist
bubbadog said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

I take your point, but I would add that much of Iran's actions are more understandable through the lens of regional power struggles rather than hatred of the US by Iran's leaders (though this is certainly a factor). And in addition to simple regional power struggles, you can add Sunni-Shia conflict to the dynamic.

The Iranians are fighting a proxy war in Yemen against the Saudis because of both regional power and religious reasons. They're dominating Iraq, as they were inevitably going to do once Saddam was gone and a Shia majority asserted its power, because of religious reasons. And that's also part of the reason for their involvement in Syria. Assad is from a religious minority and was the protector of other religious minorities in Syria (including Christians) against the Sunni majority. That creates a common interest for the Iranians, on top of which is power and influence that gives Iran a lever against both Israel and, to a lesser extent, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
I don't disagree.
HuMcK
HuMcK
Related? Good move either way.
HuMcK
J.R.
CIA says MBS ordered it, but Trump's says he ain't sure......riggggght
DaveyBear
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Tell that to ISIS.
Sam, your off base on this one.
HuMcK

J.R.
I like to say unbelievable, but it's not. Let's get that oil price down and screw humanity.
contrario
J.R. said:

I like to say unbelievable, but it's not. Let's get that oil price down and screw humanity.
Screw humanity? I understand you are in the oil business and you'd like oil prices to be higher so you can make more profit, but how does lowering prices of a commodity "screw humanity"? Again, I understand your personal reasons for disagreeing with this result and I could even understand the negative impact it could have on the Texas economy and the US economy as a whole, but "screw humanity"?
J.R.
contrario said:

J.R. said:

Screw humanity? I understand you are in the oil business and you'd like oil prices to be higher so you can make more profit, but how does lowering prices of a commodity "screw humanity"? Again, I understand your personal reasons for disagreeing with this result and I could even understand the negative impact it could have on the Texas economy and the US economy as a whole, but "screw humanity"?
What I meant referring to humanity was that we as a nation have to have a much higher moral compass and cannot standby and look the other way when a foreign leader orders that brutal murder of journalist from a US newspaper. Our/Trumps looking the other way continues to erode our moral leadership under Trumps. The oil price comment has to do Trump placating a thug and a Royal Family so that they will keep the price down by over producing, so not to get on Trumps bad side. Trumps want the oil price down to placate his "bubba base". Yes, that is one one of my businesses. Trump is not a free market guy. He likes to pick economic winners and losers based on nothing more than what is good for him. Same with tariffs. We are starting to see the wrong headiness of those show up in earnings and guidance and the lovely bear market we now have in equities and Oil. And BTW, Saudi ain't our friends.
TexasScientist
J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

What I meant referring to humanity was that we as a nation have to have a much higher moral compass and cannot standby and look the other way when a foreign leader orders that brutal murder of journalist from a US newspaper. Our/Trumps looking the other way continues to erode our moral leadership under Trumps. The oil price comment has to do Trump placating a thug and a Royal Family so that they will keep the price down by over producing, so not to get on Trumps bad side. Trumps want the oil price down to placate his "bubba base". Yes, that is one one of my businesses. Trump is not a free market guy. He likes to pick economic winners and losers based on nothing more than what is good for him. Same with tariffs. We are starting to see the wrong headiness of those show up in earnings and guidance and the lovely bear market we now have in equities and Oil. And BTW, Saudi ain't our friends.
Nor is anyone else in the Middle East, save Israel, our friend. Our way of life is counter to their fanatical religious beliefs.
J.R.
And Israel has some serious warts too.
TexasScientist
J.R. said:

And Israel has some serious warts too.
Yes they do.
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

This could be a big, big deal if this is true.
Trump cannot let this go. Am glad they are taking a little time to gather info and not immediately jumping to conclusions. If we find out that Khashoggi truly was murdered by the King and his son, their must be some form of severe punishment. If this means cancelling a multi-billion dollar arms deal between the U.S. and the Saudis, then so be it.

If you remember, 15 of the 19 suicide hijackers from 9-11 were Saudi Arabian citizens. They have been our ally but certainly not our friends. Will be very interesting to see how Trump handles this.
He is letting it go.
GoneGirl
TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

Nor is anyone else in the Middle East, save Israel, our friend. Our way of life is counter to their fanatical religious beliefs.
Israel is not our friend. The only country Israel cares about is Israel, and they care about us only insofar as how much support they can get from us and how much we will defend them when they commit human rights violations against Arabs living in Israel.
TexasScientist
Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

Israel is not our friend. The only country Israel cares about is Israel, and they care about us only insofar as how much support they can get from us and how much we will defend them when they commit human rights violations against Arabs living in Israel.
What you say is in part true. They do depend upon us for support in a region that wants them gone. However, their rank and file citizenry is not in their streets chanting death to America.
riflebear
It's funny how liberals want to hammer Trump over this w/ Saudi Arabia over one journalist. It was a tragedy and I'm sure they will be punished.

But what about Bush and Obama after 9/11 - why didn't they hammer Saudia Arabia over the killing of 3000 Americans? Trump is the one who finally punished Pakistan over Osama Bin Laden which Obama wouldn't do.

Liberals all of a sudden care about 1 death overseas but don't care about illegals coming into the country murdering U.S. Citizens or millions of innocent babies being aborted.

Spare me the selective outrage.
If we were to stop doing business w/ a country who commits a bad act then we might as well shut the world down. Including the U.S.
riflebear
cinque
So MBS had a guy chopped up. Stop overreacting. Jared gets money from these people.
GoneGirl
TexasScientist said:

Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

What you say is in part true. They do depend upon us for support in a region that wants them gone. However, their rank and file citizenry is not in their streets chanting death to America.
The Israelis are among the minority of nations that view us positively because they believe our government supports them when making foreign policy decisions, while most other nations don't. http://www.pewglobal.org/2018/10/01/americas-international-image-continues-to-suffer/
GoneGirl
cinque said:

So MBS had a guy chopped up. Stop overreacting. Jared gets money from these people.
Trump certainly doesn't value free speech unless he's doing the talking.
Osodecentx
Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

Name an Islamist country that cares about another country over itself
Buddha Bear
Osodecentx said:

Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

Name any country that cares about another country over itself. I don't think there is one.
Florda_mike
Buddha Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

Name any country that cares about another country over itself. I don't think there is one.

^^^ USA under obama

NOTE - He bowed ..... and no telling what else he did behind closed doors!
J.R.
riflebear said:

It's funny how liberals want to hammer Trump over this w/ Saudi Arabia over one journalist. It was a tragedy and I'm sure they will be punished.

But what about Bush and Obama after 9/11 - why didn't they hammer Saudia Arabia over the killing of 3000 Americans? Trump is the one who finally punished Pakistan over Osama Bin Laden which Obama wouldn't do.

Liberals all of a sudden care about 1 death overseas but don't care about illegals coming into the country murdering U.S. Citizens or millions of innocent babies being aborted.

Spare me the selective outrage.
If we were to stop doing business w/ a country who commits a bad act then we might as well shut the world down. Including the U.S.
Bush isn't president, dumbass. Stay on topic.
J.R.
Osodecentx said:

Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

We are talking about Israel. Stay on topic
Buddha Bear
Florda_mike said:

Buddha Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

^^^ USA under obama

SMH

Americans are living in 2 different realities.

And if anyone believes that Obama was a Muslim, that person has no credibility. Just like the lefties that believe George W was in on 9/11. If someone believes either of those things, then they've got other serious issues to deal with.
cinque
Florda_mike
Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Buddha Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

^^^ USA under obama

SMH

Americans are living in 2 different realities.

And if anyone believes that Obama was a Muslim, that person has no credibility. Just like the lefties that believe George W was in on 9/11. If someone believes either of those things, then they've got other serious issues to deal with.

^^^ GGGGOOOOOODDDD has spoken ^^^
TexasScientist
Florda_mike said:

Buddha Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Jinx 2 said:

TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

contrario said:

J.R. said:

^^^ USA under obama

Do you think Trump did the same thing with Putin behind closed doors? BTW - I'm not an Obama fan.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.