Student Loans

20,305 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harrison Bergeron
Wrecks Quan Dough
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

This is just crap!!!! My parents saved to put me through college and grad school. I saved to put my 2 kids through college. Just wrote my last check to Furman today!!!!!! I just got a big raise. My opinion is if you borrow $, you pay it back. It's really simple. My bankers and lenders require me to pay it all back!

Had your parents not paid for your school, would you be in the same position today? If you were 18 today with today's tuition prices what would you do?

Kid's today are paying twice what I paid to go to school 20 years ago, but minimum wage is still the same as it was then. I don't know how one does it on their own anymore.

You're obviously a good parent and have made good decision with the education your parents gave you. It's just hard to feel sorry for your situation in comparison to and average 18 year old today.
The bad decision started with a choice to go to a school and/or pursue a career incapable of supporting your borrowing choices. It isn't as if the cost is unknown upfront.
Exactly.

People need to be responsible for their own choices .
Trump can claim bankruptcy several times avoiding millions of dollars in payment, and the debt is wiped away.

A college student has their loans follow them for life, regardless of bankruptcy.

There is a major problem here.

You are free to pay off anyone's student loans as you see fit. Just don't ask the taxpayers to do the same.

I don't think most people have a problem paying back what they borrowed. Problem is at 7% rate what you borrowed during school doubles quite quickly. Interest rates are higher than mortgage loans

I paid mine off two years ago. If you are paying 7%, then you need to refinance to a lower rate.
Buddha Bear
Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

This is just crap!!!! My parents saved to put me through college and grad school. I saved to put my 2 kids through college. Just wrote my last check to Furman today!!!!!! I just got a big raise. My opinion is if you borrow $, you pay it back. It's really simple. My bankers and lenders require me to pay it all back!

Had your parents not paid for your school, would you be in the same position today? If you were 18 today with today's tuition prices what would you do?

Kid's today are paying twice what I paid to go to school 20 years ago, but minimum wage is still the same as it was then. I don't know how one does it on their own anymore.

You're obviously a good parent and have made good decision with the education your parents gave you. It's just hard to feel sorry for your situation in comparison to and average 18 year old today.
The bad decision started with a choice to go to a school and/or pursue a career incapable of supporting your borrowing choices. It isn't as if the cost is unknown upfront.
Exactly.

Trump can claim bankruptcy several times avoiding millions of dollars in payment, and the debt is wiped away.

A college student has their loans follow them for life, regardless of bankruptcy.

You are free to pay off anyone's student loans as you see fit. Just don't ask the taxpayers to do the same.

I won't.

My recommendation (which may sound like a broken record), is lowering the interests rates to the treasury rate, And allow student loans to be more easily discharged during bankruptcy.

This will allow people to pay down their balances, but will also keep in place reasonable consequences of borrowing and not paying.
Canada2017
ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

I don't think most people have a problem paying back what they borrowed. Problem is at 7% rate what you borrowed during school doubles quite quickly. Interest rates are higher than mortgage loans
Credit cards are far worse.

There are lots of ways to fail in life.

Going into debt foolishly is one of the most common .
J.R.
nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

I said nothing about $500k. Pay the really good ones $100k or so
What you said is that teachers should be the best paid profession in the country. I just gave you a number that would put them somewhere around the top 1%. If we took your suggestion as you wrote it, then what you are saying is that we should compensate teachers better than we compensate CEOs of the largest, most successful companies in the country. That would make their salary in the millions.

While your suggestion sounded nice, it was a silly suggestion after further inspection. And no, teachers should not be paid $100,000 either. They don't even work a full year.
Yes, the good ones should. That is how u entice quality people. And btw, they basically get a month off in the summer. And I said school should be year round. $100k ain't much these days
100k is still a damned fine living, depending on your lifestyle.
one can live just fine on $100k in most places.
J.R.
ImwithBU said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

its not hat they dont deserve all those nice things, its that they cant afford it on a teachers salary.
A teachers salary should not afford that lifestyle.
Teachers should be the best paid profession in our country. We have that really wrong. At their current salary level, paying $65K per year for college doesn't make much sense unless you have plenty of money and wan't to give your child a certain college experience. Financially, it doesn't make sense.

Lol. Teachers work 8 months out of the year and less than 8hrs a day. They are getting what the deserve
Well, that is simply not correct. Not by a long shot. Very short sighted on your part. I date a Teacher at a private school and I see how much she works. 8 months, my ass.
nein51
J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

What you said is that teachers should be the best paid profession in the country. I just gave you a number that would put them somewhere around the top 1%. If we took your suggestion as you wrote it, then what you are saying is that we should compensate teachers better than we compensate CEOs of the largest, most successful companies in the country. That would make their salary in the millions.

While your suggestion sounded nice, it was a silly suggestion after further inspection. And no, teachers should not be paid $100,000 either. They don't even work a full year.
Yes, the good ones should. That is how u entice quality people. And btw, they basically get a month off in the summer. And I said school should be year round. $100k ain't much these days

Yeah, you can't afford a house in Malibu but in probably 85% of the country you could have a pretty good life.

It becomes "not that much" when you are trying to have a 400k house, 100k car, 3 credit cards...etc. sadly a lot of people live that way.
ImwithBU
Carlos Safety said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

I paid mine off two years ago. If you are paying 7%, then you need to refinance to a lower rate.

Refinancing works for some people. I worked in rural areas to get mine paid off. My point is still the same, your punishing people who are trying to improve in life by crazy interest rates on loans on top of outrageous prices of colleges. A bachelors degree is essentially the equivalent of a high school diploma these days
ImwithBU
Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Credit card debt is foolish. Investing in your future is not. A Baylor degree on student loans is foolish. The debt I racked up for a terminal degree is not. There are ways to get loan forgiveness in the medical field. You can't say the same for all professional fields
Canada2017
ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Credit card debt is foolish. Investing in your future is not. A Baylor degree on student loans is foolish. The debt I racked up for a terminal degree is not. There are ways to get loan forgiveness in the medical field. You can't say the same for all professional fields
What is your degree(s) in and from where ?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Only $100k a year in California or New York puts you in the soup line. One of many reasons these folks are finding themselves another state.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
nein51
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Only $100k a year in California or New York puts you in the soup line. One of many reasons these folks are finding themselves another state.

That's not true. It would if you wanted to live at 42nd and Broadway or 90210. If you're willing to live in Queens or Temecula you can make it just fine on 100k. However, that's damned sure not the same lifestyle you would have as living in the suburbs of Cleveland.
BUMBA1
I won't go into personal details, but for those of you that think student loans are burdensome and so overwhelming that forgiveness is the only option. You're wrong. People make choices. Good or bad. Plain and simple. The decisions are yours and so are the consequences.

I paid off my student loan balance in entirety in my early 30s with no outside help whatsoever and it was probably higher than 99.8% of all balances. I don't say this to toot my own horn at all, but I just feel there are a lot of entitled people who want it all and don't want to deal with the consequences of their actions. The median student loan balance is around $36,500. Some new grads pay more for a car. If employers want to forgive student loan debt for folks who enter into NFP service voluntarily, I'm fine with that. But a tax payer funded forgiveness program is insane. Particularly when you are raising my taxes to fund it.....essentially punishing me for paying my loans early and making me pay the loans of others. I'm all for discourse and debate as their may be something I'm missing, but it seems that discipline, sacrifice and accountability are missing from this whole equation.
57Bear
Buddha Bear said:

Hertz, Frontier, J. C. Penny, Neiman Marcus, Sears, ... can claim bankruptcy. The debt may be restructured, not always wiped away.
STxBear81
Good points. No reason to increase our taxes to cover expense for those who can't pay or choose not to pay their loans. I won't go into details either. But I went back to school for undergrad and graduate school a total of 7 years. My debt was way up there. I got several great degrees and great jobs. Turned my life around and repaid my debts within 4 years using a method of debt reduction I learned at church seminar. I didn't expect any one to bail me out. One of The best thing I ever did and most challenging. If I can do it anyone can
Buddha Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Talking like someone who has spent 2 weeks in California at most.
Buddha Bear
Doc Holliday said:

HuMcK said:

Or maybe the system could stand to see some changes so that becoming a teacher or coach isn't a bad financial decision?

Is that what conservatism is now, just grievances and standing in the way of any positive change whatsoever?
It's not a bad financial decision.

You can have everything you need on a teachers salary.

The problem is teachers wanting a lifestyle that they don't deserve: You can't have a Beamer and a $700k home as a teacher or high school coach.

You can have a Kia Rio and a $150k home.

Best argument ever for Baylor to drop all teaching degree programs.
ATL Bear
Buddha Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

17 years old. Most people that age are not capable of making those type of decisions. Decisions that are inescapable if anything goes wrong, or if the slightest changing of their mind happens. The cost really isn't known up front. These kids do not get the full breakdown from a banker explaining the consequences.

You can apply your mindset to a 30 year old. But not a 17 year old when they are weighing those types of decisions.

And lastly, it's an education for God's sake. Have some understanding that people NEED affordable access to it to create their own dignified life. We have this idea of an American dream, but the reality is that other Western countries (and many non-western) have more upward mobility than the average American starting out on their own has today. It didn't used to be that way.
Parent(s) are involved in 90+ percent if not more of these decisions. I mean don't most have to countersign the loan? So let's not pretend this isn't a group decision with adults involved.

There are affordable education options already which is my point. You simply want the $400,000 education to cost the same as the $40,000 one. I'm saying you can make the choice based upon your ability to pay so choose wisely. It's not that difficult of a concept.
quash
If 17 is too young/stupid to make a career decision then it's too young to make a financial decision.

Take a gap year.

Work.

Go to community college.

Work and go to night school. Two law schools in Texas make that possible.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
RegentCoverup
For any of you so inclined, I suggest reading the research of a gentleman named Vance Fried. Vance is a CPA, holds a law degree from the University of Michigan and is a professor at Oklahoma State. A decade ago, Vance published one of the most widely read studies on reigning in college costs and it made it to top policy circles and publications such as The Economist. His work really tore the cover off the subject IMO, until Democrats needed to find another hand out for their mealy mouthed constituents.

Here's the gist of one of his many, fine suggestions>

Essentially, the tuition paying public is paying the cost of university research. While that's a wonderful public good, it's not an individually consumable good that transfers into value. Consumers have no mechanism by which they can negotiate that cost. Suffice to say, the public university model is broken and needs to be fixed.

There is no price mechanism in publicly financed higher education. The bursar's office is located next door(or in the same building) as the financial aid office. They dream up a price, hand the bill to a student loan company, and voila, you're screwed. No negotiation. No bartering. No back and forth. The ONLY long term fix that will work is creating price reduction pressure on bloated state universities.

Luckily, the Internet, with a bit of help from Covid, have started to expose the cracks. Right now, about the dumbest idea is paying full fare tuition for a liberal arts degree at a more expensive university. You'll never see that money again.

A top-notch university education could be lowered in price to $20k, that's bare bones, but in terms of curriculum, instruction, teaching, it wouldn't be any different than it is today. That would essentially crush the high price, low value universities(TCU, perhaps?) and reset the benchmark for higher education. So there is resistance from a lot of different angles on any plan that creates a price mechanism between the universities and higher education. But don't kid yourself, this is the ONLY way to make markets work and bring discipline to higher education spending.

College debt forgiveness is a scam. It's a ruse to mislead voters into thinking that universities are healthy and well run. They're not.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
J.R.
nein51 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Yeah, you can't afford a house in Malibu but in probably 85% of the country you could have a pretty good life.

It becomes "not that much" when you are trying to have a 400k house, 100k car, 3 credit cards...etc. sadly a lot of people live that way.
tru dat!. Nice, house, car that one can afford (paid for in cash), regardless of kick assness. Zero credit card debt and heck yeah, that is certainly doable. Hell, I've know people back in the day that made about that, mom stayed home and sent their kids to private school and they lived a good life. It's all about priorities. $1M Crib, $750 Beamer lease payment, eating out all the time and "kick ass vacations" to SeaSide will eat that up in a heart beat. Again, it's all about priorities.
J.R.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Then again, everyone has a choice. You can live in NY on $100K, You can't live in Manhattan, but you can live in an outer Bourough or out on the Island and be ok. I've know lot of folks who do that. You won't be "rich" but , you can do fine.
ATL Bear
quash said:

If 17 is too young/stupid to make a career decision then it's too young to make a financial decision.

Take a gap year.

Work.

Go to community college.

Work and go to night school. Two law schools in Texas make that possible.
Great suggestions. Oh yeah, they'll let the 17/18 year old make the decision to carry a weapon, go into harms way, and put their life on the line. You'd think putting thought and consideration into a financial decision would not be asking too much.
ImwithBU
Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Undergrad Biology, Baylor. That was a worthless degree but I literally went for free. Med school was 200K but I love my job and make more that a year so it was worth it
Canada2017
ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Undergrad Biology, Baylor. That was a worthless degree but I literally went for free. Med school was 200K but I love my job and make more that a year so it was worth it
Congratulations !

You must be extremely capable. I knew a few gals who got accepted to medical school only to wash out .

A. Why was your undergraduate studies free ?
B. Where did you go to medical school ? Which specialty ?
C. Will your current partnership pay your loans involving medical school ?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Buddha Bear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Talking like someone who has spent 2 weeks in California at most.
The first six years of my career, I spent about three weeks a year in California. The family and I spent about ten days in San Francisco about a year ago. It was about eight days too many. I have family that lived in La Palma, Ca. for thirty years that just moved to Lake Havasu.

I can tell you that a $500,000 home in Texas in many places in California will cost you in excess of $2 million.

You need to spend a little more time in the United States. You might learn something.

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Then again, everyone has a choice.
If one chooses to live in the Hood, then yes, you can stretch $100k a long way. This rule applies to most any state.

-- Barack Obama
ImwithBU
Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Congratulations !

You must be extremely capable. I knew a few gals who got accepted to medical school only to wash out .

Between Baylor and outside scholarships it was free.
UTMB internal medicine
My loans are paid. I worked in rural medicine (ie small towns with low incomes where many don't want to work). Many states have forgiveness through this program. Texas offers 160K over a 4 year period so if you pay into it as well you will knock your loans out quickly.

My point was why does the government get to make loanshark loans at 6.8%. That 200K borrowed builds interest throughout Med school and residency and is easily 330K by the time you pay the loan off. Why not allow people to pay back what they borrowed. It's not as if they don't already pay you taxes. How do you save for your child's future college education if you are still paying your own off
Canada2017
ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Congratulations !

UTMB internal medicine
My loans are paid. I worked in rural medicine (ie small towns with low incomes where many don't want to work). Many states have forgiveness through this program. Texas offers 160K over a 4 year period so if you pay into it as well you will knock your loans out quickly.

My point was why does the government get to make loanshark loans at 6.8%. That 200K borrowed builds interest throughout Med school and residency and is easily 330K by the time you pay the loan off. Why not allow people to pay back what they borrowed. It's not as if they don't already pay you taxes. How do you save for your child's future college education if you are still paying your own off
In your case.......I totally agree...... there should not be any interest.

Unfortunately for every hard working medical student/resident borrowing the needed funds....there are 10 history-english-sociology -art appreciation majors just playing around for 4 years of the college 'experience '.
quash
Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Congratulations !

UTMB internal medicine

Unfortunately for every hard working medical student/resident borrowing the needed funds....there are 10 history-english-sociology -art appreciation majors just playing around for 4 years of the college 'experience '.

I was on the 3-3 plan at Baylor for law school, with minors in history and English, played around a lot, had a terrific college experience and no debt. My law degree pays the bills, my undergrad experience makes life interesting.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Congratulations !

UTMB internal medicine

I was on the 3-3 plan at Baylor for law school,
What is the 3-3 plan? You sink 3 of 3 baskets, you get to go free? Half time promo?
STxBear81
Graduate in 3 years. With 3 post grad years ?
Wrecks Quan Dough
BornAgain said:

Graduate in 3 years. With 3 post grad years ?
3 Arby's Sandwiches and 3 Potato Triangles for the price of a law school education. Still a good value.
J.R.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

If one chooses to live in the Hood, then yes, you can stretch $100k a long way. This rule applies to most any state.
one can live in just about any Texas suburb well on $100K
Osodecentx
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

It's been a while since you shopped for a house
J.R.
Osodecentx said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

nein51 said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

It's been a while since you shopped for a house
I think I have a fairly good handle on RE in Texas. I'm not saying one needs to live in the $750K house in the relatively nice parts of Frisco, Southlake, Plano ect. May need to move out and increase your commute. Also, people don't need 5000 square feet for a family of 4.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.