Sarah Fuller becomes the first woman to play in a Power 5 college football game.

22,073 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Florda_mike
Wrecks Quan Dough
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DS Bear said:

What was with the pooch kick? Is that as far as she can kick it? Was it to ensure that she didn't have to take part in a tackle? If the answer to either of those questions is "yes", then a woman still has not played in a power five game.

That is about how she was kicking in pre-game. I think she had only a couple days to learn how to kick a football. Apparently, it is different than kicking a soccer ball.
Thee University
If she wants to impress the nation let her kick it deep and then cover the kickoff like a normal kicker. Ask her to make a tackle if the returner breaks through.

Better yet, let her take a hit like the one Ronnie "Bo" Lee put on Arkansas kicker Steve Little back in 1975 or 1976.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
BusyTarpDuster2017
Bear8084 said:

bear2be2 said:

You guys are some miserable sum*****es. And hilariously insecure ones, too.

If this threatens or offends you in any way, you are the very definition of a snowflake.
This. I hate it when R&P leaks over here. It's a positive story whether you like it or not. Just clap and move on like most of us have. Good for her.
Clap? "Good for her"? What exactly was her accomplishment? That she was successfully inserted into an artificial situation and used as a stunt in order to create a completely false and contrived sense of "equality"? How is this a positive story for either women OR the integrity of the game?

R&P didn't "leak over here", it was pushed into the sport, and this is a forum about that sport.
Jack Bauer
My daughter, a soccer player, was extremely underwhelmed at her kick.

I have no skin in the game. The coach asked her to step in and she did. Good for her. If it inspires you or your child, then good for you.

This is a feel good story at best but it is not ground breaking. She did not win this position, she got it only through Covid-19 attrition. Have we lowered the bar for women's equality that a 30 yard squib kick is now "historical"? This would be like if a women came off the bench of a NBA game and made 2 technical foul free throws.

SEC twitter said she "has changed the game". Good grief.
Bear8084
Like I said, good for her and a positive story. Some of y'all seem to get mad at the weirdest things.
whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

My daughter, a soccer player, was extremely underwhelmed at her kick.

I have no skin in the game. The coach asked her to step in and she did. Good for her. If it inspires you or your child, then good for you.

This is a feel good story at best but it is not ground breaking. She did not win this position, she got it only through Covid-19 attrition. Have we lowered the bar for women's equality that a 30 yard squib kick is now "historical"? This would be like if a women came off the bench of a NBA game and made 2 technical foul free throws.

SEC twitter said she "has changed the game". Good grief.

This. Her performance did for women in football what Eddie Gaedel did for midgets in baseball.

bear2be2
Bear8084 said:

Like I said, good for her and a positive story. Some of y'all seem to get mad at the weirdest things.
These are the same people that think white men and American Christians are being persecuted. They have a complex.

More access to opportunity is always a good thing and should always be celebrated. There's nothing to be threatened by here, fellas.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

More access to opportunity is always a good thing and should always be celebrated. There's nothing to be threatened by here, fellas.

How do you feel about men who identify as women participating in women's track and field?
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

You guys are some miserable sum*****es. And hilariously insecure ones, too.

If this threatens or offends you in any way, you are the very definition of a snowflake.

Agree. This morning Baylor athletics tweeted out a congratulations and support for the ground breaking day.
Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

These are the same people that think white men and American Christians are being persecuted. They have a complex.

More access to opportunity? Any female is free to tryout for college football or the NFL. Some girls kick for their high school team. If they earn the spot, then good for them.

If a female could hit 50 yard field goals consistently for Baylor, I would be her biggest fan. Nobody celebrates 30 yard squib kickoffs in college football as ground breaking.

Stop with your strawman arguments.
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

More access to opportunity? Any female is free to tryout for college football or the NFL. Some girls kick for their high school team. If they earn the spot, then good for them.

If a female could hit 50 yard field goals consistently for Baylor, I would be her biggest fan. Nobody celebrates 30 yard squib kickoffs in college football as ground breaking.

If you think that's a strawman, you haven't read this thread ... or followed history. As is always the case when barriers are broken, there are a bunch of middle-aged men here and elsewhere threatened and offended by the fact that a woman was given an opportunity and is being celebrated for it.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

If you think that's a strawman, you haven't read this thread ... or followed history. As is always the case when barriers are broken, there are a bunch of middle-aged men here and elsewhere threatened and offended by the fact that a woman was given an opportunity and is being celebrated for it.

I think it is the middle aged men who realize that the PC induced congratulations cease once one of these girls get caught in the scrum or have to take a full speed hit. Prudence and sobriety today will avoid a committee inquiry into a girl's injuries tomorrow.
ilbb990912
The Vandy coach pulled off a genius move.

He barely kept his job last year, they're 0-8 this year and getting rocked by Missouri 41-0..He throws her in to kick off a 30 yard kick, and the next day headlines are about a modern day Joan of Arc in our midst!

Who gives a S- - t about winning anymore?
bear2be2
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

I think it is the middle aged men who realize that the PC induced congratulations cease once one of these girls get caught in the scrum or have to take a full speed hit. Prudence and sobriety today will avoid a committee inquiry into a girl's injuries tomorrow.
So it's up to you freedom-loving heroes to tell others what they should or shouldn't be doing with their lives and protect them from themselves? Got it.
Thee University
This is nothing more than another degradation of all things American.

If she can kick the ball off to the goal line like most college kickers and then play defense in case the return man breaks through, then I will shut up.

This was nothing more than a stunt at a time the country is running scared trying to pacify all who have their feelings hurt for various weak reasons. Heaven forbid we put stunts like this and a multitude of others far fetched in every way imaginable to the grave where most belong.

If you ever wanted to champion a cause, no matter how stupid, now is the time to do it. Nobody wants to upset anyone by not listening or reacting positively to every single BS stunt for the "advancement" of the "downtrodden".
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
bear2be2
ilbb990912 said:

He barely kept his job last year, they're 0-8 this year and getting rocked by Missouri 41-0..He throws her in to kick off a 30 yard kick, and the next day headlines are about a modern day Joan of Arc in our midst!

He didn't throw her into kick as a stunt. She was the only kicker on a decimated roster and that was Vandy's only kickoff of the game. She was there by request to handle all of their kicking duties.

But don't left facts get in the way.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

So it's up to you freedom-loving heroes to tell others what they should or shouldn't be doing with their lives and protect them from themselves? Got it.

It is about protecting from catastrophic injuries that will occur as a result of the physical mismatches. And common sense, which I understand is no longer in vogue.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

He didn't throw her into kick as a stunt. She was the only kicker on a decimated roster and that was Vandy's only kickoff of the game. She was there by request to handle all of their kicking duties.

How many times did she punt?

Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

If you are trying to tie this into breaking racial barriers, you couldn't be further off. Black Americans were entirely capable of competing in major sports and were denied solely by their skin color. Jackie Robinson was rookie of the year and 5th in MVP voting.

This girl (any female) could have tried out for Vandy football her 1st day on campus. There was no restriction as there were with black athletes. She got the job through Covid-19 attrition. She came in and did what was asked. Good for her. That's it.
bear2be2
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

It is about protecting from catastrophic injuries that will occur as a result of the physical mismatches. And common sense, which I understand is no longer in vogue.
This woman was in no danger whatsoever of a catastrophic injury. In fact, Vanderbilt is being criticized for some bizarre reason for keeping her out of harm's way with a directional squib kick.

Regardless, it's not your job to decide if a woman can kick a football in a college game.

Hell, Mason (one of the best small-school football programs in the state of Texas) had a girl start at cornerback for them this year. She doesn't need you to protect her either.
bear2be2
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

She wasn't brought in to punt. Their punter was available. You do realize that punters and place-kickers have completely different roles, correct?
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

If you are trying to tie this into breaking racial barriers, you couldn't be further off. Black Americans were entirely capable of competing in major sports and were denied solely by their skin color. Jackie Robinson was rookie of the year and 5th in MVP voting.

This girl (any female) could have tried out for Vandy football her 1st day on campus. There was no restriction as there were with black athletes. She got the job through Covid-19 attrition. She came in and did what was asked. Good for her. That's it.
Like barrier-breaking black athletes, this woman's being judged and criticized for who she is, not what she can do. That she's not as good a kicker as Jackie Robinson was a baseball player is irrelevant to my point.

Insecure middle-aged men are threatened by change. Everyone else realizes that it is inevitable and often for the best.
RegentCoverup
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

bear2be2 said:

Bear8084 said:

Like barrier-breaking black athletes, this woman's being judged and criticized for who she is, not what she can do. That she's not as good a kicker as Jackie Robinson was a baseball player is irrelevant to my point.

Insecure middle-aged men are threatened by change. Everyone else realizes that it is inevitable and often for the best.
We found the liberal!
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

She wasn't brought in to punt. Their punter was available. You do realize that punters and place-kickers have completely different roles, correct?

If you think real hard, you will understand there is a huge difference in power between the players in UIL 2A and NCAA and that a college punter, any college punter, would have kicked the ball better than she.
historian
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Bears2Canes said:

Jack Bauer said:

"An inspiration" ?

I give her props for answering the call of duty for her school but a 30 yard pooch kick is not groundbreaking or inspirational. It's average at best.

And Vandy is so bad she probably won't even have the chance to score an XP.
I think they mean an inspiration to little girls, not middle aged men on a football forum.
So which effeminate male on the Vandy campus will suit up for the women's basketball team?
I mean, this is about equality is it not?

Don't give them any ideas! It's bad enough that some boys place their own selfish desires over the interests of others & thus try to destroy other women's sports (ie track). We don't need those cheaters anywhere near WBB.

It's symbolism over substance.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Reverend
I'd love to see that story on Mason having a girl starting at cornerback. They went two games deep in the playoffs and my son in law is from there. First I've heard of it.

As for the Vanderbilt kicker it was a stunt. I hope UGA lets them score next week so she can try an extra point.
bear2be2
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

If you think real hard, you will understand there is a huge difference in power between the players in UIL 2A and NCAA and that a college punter, any college punter, would have kicked the ball better than she.
If you think real hard, you might see the irony in someone who champions freedom and liberty telling others what they should and should not be doing, you know, for their own good.
Jack Bauer
Reverend said:

I'd love to see that story on Mason having a girl starting at cornerback. They went two games deep in the playoffs and my son in law is from there. First I've heard of it.

As for the Vanderbilt kicker it was a stunt. I hope UGA lets them score next week so she can try an extra point.

You want UGA to let Vandy score on them just to let a girl kick an XP? You realize this is D1 NCAA football.
bear2be2
Reverend said:

Google Tristin Keller. Girl's one hell of a basketball player, too.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

If you think real hard, you might see the irony in someone who champions freedom and liberty telling others what they should and should not be doing, you know, for their own good.

They have every right to put a girl out there. They also have the right reap the consequences when a girl is severely injured playing a combat sport against a bunch a elite male athletes.
Jack Bauer
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

They have every right to put a girl out there. They also have the right reap the consequences when a girl is severely injured playing a combat sport against a bunch a elite male athletes.

I am sure the coach told her not to even attempt to tackle the other team in the unlikely event that situation occurred.
bear2be2
Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

She's not a girl. She's a woman. And beyond that, she's an elite college level athlete. She doesn't need some middle-aged man who couldn't make an extra point at his local middle school to tell her what she should or should not be doing.
Reverend
On the boy's team?
Reverend
Of course. That would only be fair.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

ilbb990912 said:

She's not a girl. She's a woman. And beyond that, she's an elite college level athlete. She doesn't need some middle-aged man who couldn't make an extra point at his local middle school to tell her what she should or should not be doing.

She is a girl. Who would suffer severe injury if the opposing players hit her like they would hit any other player. Your pretense doesn't change that. Now, hold your breath and stop your feet and tell us all that Class AA ball is analogous to NCAA Div. 1 ball.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.