Texas Independence Referendum Act filed in Texas House

37,811 Views | 574 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexasScientist
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Midnight Rider said:

There's a certain contradiction between loving your country and wanting to secede from it.

Texas>USA

I dont identify or have much in common with New Yorkers, Minnesotans, and most other Yankees.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
ilbb990912
Shiloh had an incredible cast of who's who officers on both sides. Fascinating battle to study.....
ilbb990912
Grant-Sherman-Lew Wallace-Don Carlos Buell-WHL Wallace-amongst others
vs
Albert Sidney Johnston-Beauregard-Forrest-Daniel Ruggles-Pat Cleburne-William Hardee-amongst others

ATL Bear
Carlos Safety said:

The biggest problem I have is that we elect people to go to Congress. They are our representatives. However, the federal government, and by extension this country, seems to be run by unelected bureaucrats. That is the problem I would most like to see addressed.
Reduce executive authority. If you look at the structure of government bureaucracy, it flows up and through the executive branch. An operation with a single (two with the VP) elected official involved.
whiterock
Fat Daddy said:

fubar said:

I remember how posters on the old site ridiculed some loony Californians who proposed seceding.

I would like them to try again... I would support it.... and maybe they could get Oregon and Washington to go with them!
I would prefer that about 10 OTHER states secede and let the USA be the USA.

If Democrats can call half the country racist and threaten to send them to re-education centers, what's the harm in letting the rest of the country tell Democrats FU and threaten to leave?
curtpenn
bubbadog said:

Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Last time we tried this they shot two of my great uncles at Shiloh. I am for it
but not enough to die like they did. Damn Grant and Ape.
Not to derail this thread (although it could probably use it), but have you ever read Tony Horwitz's Confederates in the Attic? He has a great chapter about being at Shiloh before dawn on the anniversary of the battle.

My wife's uncle had a farm about 5 miles from Shiloh. The government leased out some of the land within the military park to him and other local farmers. I've walked that battlefield many times.

A fine book. Worth the read.
Osodecentx
fubar said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

Keep in mind, if it were to get on the ballot and pass, they would then form a committee to spend 2 years investigating if its feasible. Think of it like Brexit, once it passed the voters it took awhile before they were able to separate themselves. Not saying they are right or wrong, but if Texas would be better off, it is at the very least worth looking into.
Let's be real about this. They don't need a committee to investigate whether secession is feasible (along with the old idea of dividing into 5 states). You could make 5 quick phone calls to constitutional law experts and get the answer, which is no.

This is not about helping the people of Texas make a more informed decision. This is just about scoring political points, and wasting taxpayer money in the process.
I think you are wrong about Texas being able to divide into 5 states.

Revisionist History has a great podcast on this. I'll track it down and post for you
I believe Texas did have that option when it was first admitted in 1845.

People seem to forget that Texas was admitted a second time, and I doubt that provision about dividing was in there that time.
This law review article says Texas can divide & we already have permission from the US Congress to do so.
http://revisionisthistory.com/pdfs/Kesavan_Paulsen.pdf

Texasjeremy
https://tnm.me/texit

If anyone is interested, here are potential answers to a lot of the most common questions on Texas independence. It's an interesting read.

AGRICULTURE
1. How will an independent Texas address farm subsidies?
2. Will an independent Texas place tariffs on imported agricultural products?
3. Will farmers and ranchers continue to enjoy agricultural tax exemptions after TEXIT?

BUSINESS & COMMERCE
1. How will small businesses be protected from multi-national corporations after TEXIT?
2. How will TEXIT affect anti-monopoly laws?
3. How will trade work with the United States?
4. Will Texas incentivize or encourage small business and entrepreneurship?
5. How will an independent Texas address subsidies?
6. Will an independent Texas place tariffs on imported agricultural products?
7. Will the economy in an independent Texas be better?
8. How will TEXIT affect banks in Texas?
9. Will Texas have its own currency?

DEFENSE & SECURITY
1. Will veterans continue to receive benefits after TEXIT?
2. What will happen to Texans serving in the United States military after TEXIT?
3. What will happen to all of the U.S. military bases after TEXIT?
4. How will an independent Texas defend itself?
5. How will Texas handle natural disasters without FEMA?

ECONOMY
1. Will the economy in an independent Texas be better?
2. How will TEXIT affect banks in Texas?
3. Will Texas have its own currency?

EDUCATION
1. What would happen to our public universities and their athletic conferences?
2. How will TEXIT affect student loans?

ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT
1. Will we have to buy our electricity from the U.S. after TEXIT?
2. How will Texas protect the environment after TEXIT?

GOVERNMENT
1. What if my spouse isn't a natural-born Texan?
2. How will TEXIT affect open and concealed carry laws?
3. What will the requirements be for citizenship?
4. Will illegal immigrants be offered amnesty after TEXIT?
5. Will Texas be able to fund the government after TEXIT?
6. How will Texas handle immigration?
7. Will Texas be divided into states after TEXIT?
8. Does Texas need to draft a new constitution before we TEXIT?
9. How will TEXIT affect banks in Texas?
10. How will TEXIT give us a better government in Texas?
11. How will Texas handle natural disasters without FEMA?

HEALTHCARE & SOCIAL SERVICES
1. What will happen to people who rely on Medicare after TEXIT?
2. Will veterans continue to receive benefits after TEXIT?
3. How will Texas handle natural disasters without FEMA?
4. How will TEXIT affect Social Security recipients?

INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
1. How can a Post-TEXIT border work with the United States?
2. Will an independent Texas maintain embassies in other countries?
3. How will Texas handle immigration?
4. Will an independent Texas place tariffs on imported agricultural products?
5. How difficult will it be for Texas to transition from a state in the union to an independent nation?
6. Will Texans need a passport to travel to the United States after TEXIT?

LAW & ORDER
1. Does Texas need to draft a new constitution before we TEXIT?

SPORTS
1. What would happen to our public universities and their athletic conferences?
2. Will college sports teams still be able to play in the NCAA?
3. Will Texas have its own team in the Olympics?
4. Will Texas professional sports teams still play in their respective leagues?

TRAVEL & TRANSPORTATION
1. How can a Post-TEXIT border work with the United States?
2. Will Texans need a passport to travel to the United States after TEXIT?
BellCountyBear
bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

Keep in mind, if it were to get on the ballot and pass, they would then form a committee to spend 2 years investigating if its feasible. Think of it like Brexit, once it passed the voters it took awhile before they were able to separate themselves. Not saying they are right or wrong, but if Texas would be better off, it is at the very least worth looking into.
Let's be real about this. They don't need a committee to investigate whether secession is feasible (along with the old idea of dividing into 5 states). You could make 5 quick phone calls to constitutional law experts and get the answer, which is no.

This is not about helping the people of Texas make a more informed decision. This is just about scoring political points, and wasting taxpayer money in the process.
Kind of like impeaching Trump twice.
Whiskey Pete
Texas doesn't need to secede. We just need to get together with other states and kick out CA, WA, OR, NY (and a couple of more).

Problem solved.

Best way to Make America Great Again.
J.B.Katz
Who would be president of the Lone Star Republic? Trump? Would he rule from his estate in Florida? Or would Texas become a haven so he wouldn't be extradited to other states to face criminal charges.

Ken Paxton and Dan Patrick are still working for the state of Texas. Not a good sign if the successionistas intend to stick with current management.

This would get Cruz and Cornyn out of the SEnate. Cruz is a dick and you boys can have him, Cornyn merely a disappointment who leans whatever way the wind's blowing.
bubbadog
Rawhide said:

Texas doesn't need to secede. We just need to get together with other states and kick out CA, WA, OR, NY (and a couple of more).

Problem solved.

Best way to Make America Great Again.
Yup. Brilliant.
quash
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

I think you are wrong about Texas being able to divide into 5 states.

Revisionist History has a great podcast on this. I'll track it down and post for you
That's a great podcast.

To the OP: Yeah, this was all the rage among HS social studies classes. There's a reason serious folks don't want it, and that post above about Austin is why: Texans are a long ****ing way from homogenous.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
fadskier
bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

What's wrong with that? We've wasted money on Russian collusion and two impeachments...apparently, we are really, really good at wasting money.
quash
fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

What's wrong with that? We've wasted money on Russian collusion and two impeachments...apparently, we are really, really good at wasting money.
There was Russian collusion, Mueller was clear on that, he just stopped short of calling it criminal because it involved a sitting president..

Let's see what the Senate does this time before declaring it a waste of money.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

There was Russian collusion, Mueller was clear on that, he just stopped short of calling it criminal because it involved a sitting president..

Or because it was not criminal.
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

Mueller Report Finds No Evidence Of Russian Collusion

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/24/706385781/mueller-report-finds-evidence-of-russian-collusion

Collusion? No

Interference? Yes

Nothing to do with Trump...

fadskier
We spent millions of dollars to find out that Russia put ads on social media and hacked the DNC servers and Hillary's emails....

I have no problem with either...I don't decided how to vote based on social media and the server hacks showed us what a hack Hillary was and that she didn't follow protocol.
quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/24/706385781/mueller-report-finds-evidence-of-russian-collusion

Collusion? No

Interference? Yes

https://time.com/5610317/mueller-report-myths-breakdown/
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

Collusion? No

Interference? Yes

1. It's an opinion piece and 2. Kind of backs what I am saying. They did find any...but their opinion is that it could be considered collusion. That's their opinion.

Mueller disagrees.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/mueller-report-conclusions-trump-congress-attorney-general-william-barr-n986611

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/24/politics/mueller-report-release/index.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/18/mueller-report-russian-election-plot-1365568

Sorry bud, facts are facts.

J.B.Katz
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

Collusion? No

Interference? Yes

It's hopeless son. if the facts dont fit his talking point he'll call it fake news.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.B.Katz said:

Who would be president of the Lone Star Republic? Trump? Would he rule from his estate in Florida?
Nope. Trump is now a private citizen that considers himself a Floridian. You people should really let him go. The hold he STILL has on Democrat psyches is truly amazing.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Fat Daddy
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Who would be president of the Lone Star Republic? Trump? Would he rule from his estate in Florida?
Nope. Trump is now a private citizen that considers himself a Floridian. You people should really let him go. The hold he STILL has on Democrat psyches is truly amazing.

He is living rent free in their minds!!!
LIB,MR BEARS
Midnight Rider said:

There's a certain contradiction between loving your country and wanting to secede from it.
Not at all.

This is not MY Republican Party

This is not MY Democratic Party

This is not MY Episcopal church

This is not MY Baylor University

This is not MY drug-addicted spouse

This is not MY America

All of the things listed above provide opportunities to change or influence them in a positive manner and while in a position of deeper involvement. However, at a certain point, individuals will decide for themselves that the point of positive influence no longer exist and it is time to exit that relationship. It doesn't mean that the love is gone but, it may mean that the disgust outweighs that love.
LIB,MR BEARS
tommie said:

How will this work? Secede then want a free trade agreement and shared security.
The devil is in the details. That is probably why the committee. You think?
Texasjeremy
https://tnm.me/texit/business-commerce-trade/how-will-trade-work-with-the-united-states

Trade is the major issue that has the clearest path to resolution with the United States and it is one of the most important. International trade is a major driver of the Texas economy. In fact, Texas exports products to virtually every country in the world with total value of exports to just the top 25 totaling between $225 and $285 billion every single year. These are just the figures for products that originate in Texas and doesn't include imports that flow through our ports and travel across our roads every day. Trade is major.

It is important to examine how trade works between Texas and the rest of the States and then see if there is a fair path to approximate that relationship now that gives Texas some control over the situation.

Currently, Texas is restricted in external trade by the prohibitions on States in Article 1 Section 10 of the U.S. Constitution, fully vesting that authority in the U.S. Congress. Consequently, States have little to no control over the flow of goods and services across their borders and there are certainly no trade tariffs between the States. Within the United States, member States have tariff-free trade and a singular external trade policy. Not accounting for the common currency, this economic relationship between the States is the textbook definition of a customs union. Some would argue that the United States is a fully integrated economic union, but the States retain a large degree of control over their individual fiscal policies, meaning that the United States is not a true economic union.

It is important to note that, other than the United States, there are 13 other customs unions around the world comprising virtually all of Central America, South America, nearly all of Europe, and portions of the old Soviet Union, and major blocs of countries in Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. In these customs unions, independent self-governing countries conduct trade in the same way as the States of the United States without being in a political union.
The clearest and easiest way to ensure that there is absolutely no disruption of trade between the U.S. and an independent Texas is for the two to enter into a customs union, but as equals. Anyone who thinks this would be unusual or far-fetched simply doesn't understand the way trade works. Most people believe that the only free trade agreement the U.S. is a part of is the multilateral North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. It's not. The U.S. also has free trade agreements with Australia, Bahrain, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Jordan, Korea, Morocco, Nicaragua, Oman, Panama, Peru, and Singapore, all of which have a smaller GDP than Texas.

A negotiated trade agreement between Texas and the U.S., either through a customs union or a free trade agreement, would ensure continued tariff-free trade between the two. Any agreement should ensure continued access to rail lines, airports, seaports, and highways for the transportation of goods.

If the negotiated agreement is a customs union, the work is done. If, however, the U.S. or Texas opts for a free trade agreement instead, Texas would retain the freedom to pursue bilateral or multilateral trade agreements with any other nations without restriction. That includes negotiating trade agreements with countries that already have free trade agreements with the U.S., ensuring a continuity of trade policy.

In the event that Texas and the U.S. fail to come to terms, Texas could still trade with the U.S. using standard World Trade Organization tariff schedules and trade rules that have already been agreed to by the U.S. In short, Texas could take the tariff tables submitted to the WTO by the U.S., scratch out its name, write in ours, and submit it. This again leaves Texas the freedom to hammer out its own trade policies and trade with every country in the world, much like we are already doing, with one exceptionit will be on our terms. In short, no matter how trade negotiations go with the U.S., Texas will be just fine.

https://tnm.me/texit/defense-national-security/how-will-an-independent-texas-defend-itself

Texas has always shown a belief in a strong national defense, with a focus on threats to the safety and security of Texans at home. An independent Texas has little in the way of conventional national security concerns. The threat of a combined land, air, and sea invasion is next to non-existent. But threats do still exist. There is the threat of the cartels and violence spilling over our border with Mexico as well as the threat of international terrorists using that same border to execute attacks on civilian targets within Texas. In addition, there are always threats that could upset international stability. While these are often met with the combined military might of the western world, an independent Texas would be ready and willing to do its part.

The bulk of Texas national defense will be concentrated on three key areas: strengthening the borders against national security risks, defense against attack from international state actors, and supporting military actions of allies that are congruent with our strategic objectives.

Using the NATO target average of 2 percent of GDP for military and defense spending would provide approximately $32.78 billion annually, making Texas 11th in the world in defense spending. Funding at this level would cover the costs of recruiting, training, equipping, and maintaining an active duty enlistment in excess of 125,000 troops. This would be in line with the number of Texans currently serving in the United States military in all branches. In addition, it would provide a level of funding to, over time, increase our inventory of military vehicles including naval vessels, fighters and support aircraft, and armored vehicles. Building on the current military infrastructure in the Texas Military Department (TMD), Texas will grow the components of the TMD into a world-class military force capable of addressing any threat to the safety and security of Texas posed by any who would do us harm.
fadskier
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Midnight Rider said:

Not at all.

This is not MY America

All of the things listed above provide opportunities to change or influence them in a positive manner and while in a position of deeper involvement. However, at a certain point, individuals will decide for themselves that the point of positive influence no longer exist and it is time to exit that relationship. It doesn't mean that the love is gone but, it may mean that the disgust outweighs that love.
Good post
LIB,MR BEARS
Carlos Safety said:

fubar said:

Russell Gym said:

Trump moves here to become Presidente de Tejas and build a North Wall to bookend the South Wall.

Texans will support both overwhelmingly.
Build east and west walls connecting them. Make those motherscratchers airtight.

Then turn on the spigots and fill 'er up.

The rest of us will support THAT overwhelmingly.

I am game if it keeps you and yours out.
All y'all have is basketba... NVM
Mitch Blood Green
LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

How will this work? Secede then want a free trade agreement and shared security.

I don't need a committee to tell me going bareback on a pornstar is a star is a bad idea. This is worse.
LIB,MR BEARS
tommie said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

tommie said:

I don't need a committee to tell me going bareback on a pornstar is a star is a bad idea. This is worse.
one vote for "no". Got it.

You probably should have checked with committee advice on prior decisions... just sayin
J.B.Katz
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Midnight Rider said:

Not at all.

This is not MY America

I've chosen to stay a Republican. I've been one all my life and I'm old. My party needs moderates whether the Trumpers want us or not.

I'm watching the fallout from the stunt Kelli WArd pulled in AZ with censuring Cindy McCain, jeff Flake and Doug Ducey. I was hoping Ward wouldnt be reelected and it was close but not enough.
LIB,MR BEARS
J.B.Katz said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Midnight Rider said:

Not at all.

This is not MY America

I've chosen to stay a Republican. I've been one all my life and I'm old. My party needs moderates whether the Trumpers want us or not.

I'm watching the fallout from the stunt Kelli WArd pulled in AZ with censuring Cindy McCain, jeff Flake and Doug Ducey. I was hoping Ward wouldnt be reelected and it was close but not enough.

Tough decisions require and ABSOLUTELY deserve extreme contemplation. No fault divorce is a bad thing. No fault Texit would be worse.
D. C. Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

J.B.Katz said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Midnight Rider said:

Not at all.

This is not MY America

Tough decisions require and ABSOLUTELY deserve extreme contemplation. No fault divorce is a bad thing. No fault Texit would be worse.

There is no legal mechanism for leaving the union.
fadskier
Well, gentlemen, if Texas fights, I go with her. But like my father I hope that the Yankees let us leave the Union in peace.
Texasjeremy
https://tnm.me/texit/government/how-will-texit-give-us-better-government-in-texas

We have our own issues of bad governance in Austin. However, most of what is happening in our Capitol has flourished because of our continued membership in the United States.

Compliance
Most Texans aren't aware that the vast majority of legislative wrangling in Texas government takes place over issues that are not of our making. In this recent session, nearly half of all bills filed directly referenced federal law, federal regulations, federal agencies, or federal court rulings. That doesn't include bills that were filed in response to those where they weren't directly referenced but were filed to place Texas in compliance with one or more of those.

We can't even begin to count the bills that were filed solely to capture federal money. You know, the federal money that first came out of your pocket and then, after a 40% "membership fee" has been deducted, is dangled in front of the Texas Legislature as a reward for their loyalty.

Then you get into the areas of education, transportation, and social services which, to some degree, have their policy directions set in relation to or because of federal law or mandate.

Being outside of the United States means that we could set our own direction and create policies that are a perfect fit for us. If a policy doesn't work, we can scrap it and create a new one. It would be our decision and our decision alone.

Aspiration
Lest we forget, many in Texas government treat elected office like tryouts for the Federal Government. Granted, some get in and get comfortable. But others are like contestants on American Idol. They hope that they are good enough to get to the next round.

Oftentimes the policy decisions and the direction of the debate are dictated by how much of an audience they will get outside of Texas. They jockey just to get an interview on FoxNews or MSNBC, because deep in their heart-of-hearts, they want their 15 minutes of fame in a larger market. Being known in a larger market means that they can run for the US House or Senate or even President or jockey for a cabinet position in the White House.

In fact, our Lieutenant Governor missed the opening day of this legislative session because he'd been summoned to the White House to help with a speech. Effectively, the person holding the most powerful elected position in Texas chose to do the job of a federal staffer over executing his duty to Texans. This doesn't seem like something a person elected to serve the people of Texas would do. Rather, it looks like someone angling for a job on the federal level.

Standing as an independent nation, Texas is as good as it gets for these politicians. There are no tryouts for elected positions beyond Texas. They make it good here or they get thrown out. While they are here, and in office, they had better do the best job that they can because there is no one else to satisfy but the people of Texas.

Distraction
Ask anyone on the street right now this question.

"What do you think about what Congress is doing right now?"

The answer will generally lean toward disapproval followed by something about healthcare or taxes. At a very minimum it will include something very specific. They may namedrop some distasteful federal politician. Perhaps you'll even get the name of their Congressman and one or both of our Senators. The point is that even the least political have some idea of what's happening on the federal level.

Now ask the same person this question.

"What do you think about the property tax reform being debated in the Texas Legislature right now?"

You are likely to get a blank stare, a quizzical look, or be met with another question.

"What do you mean?"

Texans are distracted. We are inundated with news out of Washington, D.C. through every conceivable medium. We are conditioned to direct our attention and, consequently, our outrage toward the Potomac. Even the most politically active among Texans find themselves in this trap. Since we have finite time, resources, and attention spans, while Texans focus on the ills of the Federal Government, state and local government runs wild.

Those of you who stay engaged on state and local issues know the result of this. Low engagement by your fellow citizens gives the elected officials a trapdoor for bad behavior. They can simply brush off your issue because they "haven't heard from many of my constituents."

This distraction plays out at the polls as well. With everyone focused on the federal government, even to the point of listing federal offices at the top of the ballot, little to no attention is paid to the down ballot races. In addition, general dissatisfaction with the federal government leads to disillusioned voters who simply give up and don't vote.

With Texas out of the union, Texans remove one additional layer of government and the distraction it brings, and are left with the government that is closest to home the one in Austin and the one in their own backyard. Imagine if folks paid attention to those governments like they are glued to the the D.C. drama. Imagine how people would feel about voting if they actually could make a difference and be involved.

Dollars
Then we get to the simplest issue of all. Politics runs on money. You can hate it. You can deny it. However, it's the way things work.

As part of the United States, political contributions that flow into Texas are treated just the same as contributions from me and you. When Joe Crony gets into office, the coffers open up and money flows in from political action committees all over the United States. Every special interest from the other 49 states starts writing checks to curry favor and keep "their man" in office.

These contributions from outside of Texas give a decided advantage to incumbents and a major disadvantage to those that would challenge the political establishment.

When Texit happens, that comes to a screeching halt because they are now foreign and Texas does not and never will allow political contributions from foreign entities. Post-Texit, egregious politicians won't be able to stump for contributions in California or New York. We get a more level playing field and more opportunity for turnover in the Texas government.

Independence
Again, while we sympathize with the concerns of our fellow Texans about the state of governance in Austin, there is no doubt that removing the federal government out of the equation produces better government at home. Independence gives us an opportunity to create a government in our image, that is responsive to our needs, meets our challenges, and is the size that we want. Independence gives us a shot a self-government that we have never had and puts our destiny in our hands and our hands alone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.