Texas Independence Referendum Act filed in Texas House

37,802 Views | 574 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexasScientist
Texasjeremy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://kylebiedermann.com/representative-biedermann-files-the-texas-independence-referendum-act/

Today, Representative Kyle Biedermann (R- Fredericksburg) filed House Bill 1359, also known as the Texas Independence Referendum Act, which would allow the citizens of Texas to vote on whether the Texas Legislature should create a joint interim committee to develop a plan for achieving Texas independence.

This is not a resolution to allow for immediate independence. This legislation will give power directly to the people via referendum and allow Texans the right to discuss, debate and vote on creating a path toward Texas Independence. Regardless of an individual Legislator's personal opinion on Texas Independence, we ask all Representatives and Senators to Let Texans Vote!

Rep. Biedermann said, "This Act simply Lets Texans Vote. This decision is too big to be monopolized solely by the power brokers in our Capitol. We need to let Texans' voices be heard! Voters of all political persuasions in Texas can agree on one thing, Washington D.C. is and has been broken. Our federal government continuously fails our working families, seniors, taxpayers, veterans and small business owners. For decades, the promises of America and our individual liberties have been eroding. It is now time that the People of Texas are allowed the right to decide their own future. This is not a left or right political issue. Let Texans Vote!"

Our Texas Constitution duly agrees in Article 1; Sec. 2 which states:
"All political power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their benefit. The faith of the people of Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government, and, subject to this limitation only, they have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient."

Thousands of people a year move to Texas to escape the climate of over regulation and taxation. Texas is seen as the bastion of freedom and a leader of free enterprise, which has built a robust economy, financial solvency, and capacity for massive energy production worthy of the world stage. These are all indications that the Republic of Texas would not just survive, but thrive as an independent nation. Now is the time for Texas to lead.

You can sign the petition here: https://kylebiedermann.com/texit-petition
Texasjeremy
House Bill 1359
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/history.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1359
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Last time we tried this they shot two of my great uncles at Shiloh. I am for it
but not enough to die like they did. Damn Grant and Ape.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
bubbadog
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Not to derail this thread (although it could probably use it), but have you ever read Tony Horwitz's Confederates in the Attic? He has a great chapter about being at Shiloh before dawn on the anniversary of the battle.

My wife's uncle had a farm about 5 miles from Shiloh. The government leased out some of the land within the military park to him and other local farmers. I've walked that battlefield many times.
Midnight Rider
There's a certain contradiction between loving your country and wanting to secede from it.
Texasjeremy
Keep in mind, if it were to get on the ballot and pass, they would then form a committee to spend 2 years investigating if its feasible. Think of it like Brexit, once it passed the voters it took awhile before they were able to separate themselves. Not saying they are right or wrong, but if Texas would be better off, it is at the very least worth looking into.
Redbrickbear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Agree.

When trying to break off from a corrupt Empire you have to wait until it's collapsing (see the USSR in the late 1980s), if not you get steam rolled and your young men get killed and your women raped.

bubbadog
Texasjeremy said:

Keep in mind, if it were to get on the ballot and pass, they would then form a committee to spend 2 years investigating if its feasible. Think of it like Brexit, once it passed the voters it took awhile before they were able to separate themselves. Not saying they are right or wrong, but if Texas would be better off, it is at the very least worth looking into.
Let's be real about this. They don't need a committee to investigate whether secession is feasible (along with the old idea of dividing into 5 states). You could make 5 quick phone calls to constitutional law experts and get the answer, which is no.

This is not about helping the people of Texas make a more informed decision. This is just about scoring political points, and wasting taxpayer money in the process.
Redbrickbear
Midnight Rider said:

There's a certain contradiction between loving your country and wanting to secede from it.
Not really.

A political union of New York and Texas was always artificial and unnatural.

And everything artificial and unnatural eventually collapses.

USA, EU, and the USSR.....all doomed by the relentless laws of nature and mankind.

The USSR is gone first to the ash heap of history....soon the others will follow.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Midnight Rider said:

I felt the exact same way before the 2020 Presidential Election. Our Republic is now just merely an idea. It was spectacular while it lasted.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Wrecks Quan Dough
The biggest problem I have is that we elect people to go to Congress. They are our representatives. However, the federal government, and by extension this country, seems to be run by unelected bureaucrats. That is the problem I would most like to see addressed.
Texasjeremy
Today, State Representative Kyle Biedermann's legislation that would give the people of Texas a chance to vote on Texas becoming an independent, self-governing nation became official.

The "Let Texas Vote" act would give Texans an opportunity to head to the polls in November of 2021 and start the process of reasserting our status as an independent nation. If the people vote in favor, the bill provides for the establishment of a committee to begin working on a transitional plan which would address all of the issues related to decoupling from the federal government.

This bill is simply to put the question to the people of Texas. Even if legislators don't personally support TEXIT, at a minimum they should support your right to publicly debate and vote on the issue. Your representatives either believe that you are smart and responsible enough to make this decision or they believe that they know what's best for you regardless of what you think. There is no middle ground.
fubar
I remember how posters on the old site ridiculed some loony Californians who proposed seceding.
Oldbear83
The last time an idea of this caliber got popular, they called it car surfing.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
57Bear
Carlos Safety said:

The biggest problem I have is that we elect people to go to Congress. They are our representatives. However, the federal government, and by extension this country, seems to be run by unelected bureaucrats. That is the problem I would most like to see addressed.
The swamp pretty much steam-rolls anyone who tries to interfere with its stranglehold on the government - at all levels of government.
nein51
Midnight Rider said:

Not really. I love blondes but I love redheads more. I love vanilla ice cream but I love strawberry more. Etc.

Ie maybe some people love the United States but love Texas more.
DAC
Need to find a way to get rid of Austin
Mitch Blood Green
How will this work? Secede then want a free trade agreement and shared security.
Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

Let's be real about this. They don't need a committee to investigate whether secession is feasible (along with the old idea of dividing into 5 states). You could make 5 quick phone calls to constitutional law experts and get the answer, which is no.

This is not about helping the people of Texas make a more informed decision. This is just about scoring political points, and wasting taxpayer money in the process.
I think you are wrong about Texas being able to divide into 5 states.

Revisionist History has a great podcast on this. I'll track it down and post for you
fubar
Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

I think you are wrong about Texas being able to divide into 5 states.

Revisionist History has a great podcast on this. I'll track it down and post for you
I believe Texas did have that option when it was first admitted in 1845.

People seem to forget that Texas was admitted a second time, and I doubt that provision about dividing was in there that time.
Russell Gym
Trump moves here to become Presidente de Tejas and build a North Wall to bookend the South Wall.

Texans will support both overwhelmingly.
nein51
tommie said:

How will this work? Secede then want a free trade agreement and shared security.

It won't...but it would mean entering in to some form of trade agreement with the US. I suppose someone could try to take Texas but Mexico doesn't really have the strength to do it and let's be fair, the US would protect that border regardless if another power tried to claim it.

Not that it matters. There's a 0.0% chance it happens.
Born_A_Bear
Isn't all politics about scoring political points?
fubar
Russell Gym said:

Trump moves here to become Presidente de Tejas and build a North Wall to bookend the South Wall.

Build east and west walls connecting them. Make those motherscratchers airtight.

Then turn on the spigots and fill 'er up.

The rest of us will support THAT overwhelmingly.

Osodecentx
bubbadog said:

Texasjeremy said:

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/21-divide-and-conquer

Law Review says it is Texas' decision
Wrecks Quan Dough
57Bear said:

Carlos Safety said:

The swamp pretty much steam-rolls anyone who tries to interfere with its stranglehold on the government - at all levels of government.
Right. I do not feel any obligation to continue to be bound that sort of an unconstitutional arrangement.
D. C. Bear
There is no current legal path to leave the union. Pass an amendment allowing it, then take a vote as needed if you are so inclined, but this posturing is worthless crap.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
fubar said:

Russell Gym said:

Build east and west walls connecting them. Make those motherscratchers airtight.

Have no idea W T F this post means. I am sure it is meant as an insult to most Texans. Enjoy your Utopia in Kansas. Hopefully Andrew and Gavin will feel sorry for you and send a few bucks your way. But don't hold your breath.

-- Barack Obama
Oldbear83
D. C. Bear said:

There is no current legal path to leave the union. Pass an amendment allowing it, then take a vote as needed if you are so inclined, but this posturing is worthless crap.
Aside from the legal debate, not many people at all have a realistic idea what would happen if Texas did try to become its own Republic again.

Different world from 1836. in lots of important ways.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
4yrletterbear
Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana control a majority of the oil production in the US. Those three would make a good start on a new Republic.

Simply sell the refined petroleum at a premium back to the Blue States to compensate citizens for their loss of federal income such as Medicare.

The rest if the dominoes will fall into place and the Left coast and the East coast will be separated by a Red Land of Freedom.
Fat Daddy
fubar said:

I remember how posters on the old site ridiculed some loony Californians who proposed seceding.

I would like them to try again... I would support it.... and maybe they could get Oregon and Washington to go with them!
Baylorbears111
Midnight Rider said:

It's fine. I'm told American is a systemically racist country and corrupt and unworthy of our respect and doesn't hold to the value it's says it does. Why would we want to be apart of such a broken country?
Wrecks Quan Dough
fubar said:

Russell Gym said:

I am game if it keeps you and yours out.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
fubar said:

I will contribute a big chunk of money to this cause. Any chance they still want to leave? Would love to help make their dreams come true.

-- Barack Obama
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Yes, at one time I owned it and read it. It been about 15 years and I dont really remember the chapter about Shiloh but overall I enjoyed the book. I felt like I had grown up around some the the people in the book.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.