Chauvin. What say you?

34,174 Views | 535 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oldbear83
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Me? Guilty of third degree murder.
Doc Holliday
Guilty. This is clown world.
D. C. Bear
Friend who is former officer said at the time it was murder, and he should know what's appropriate and what's not for a cop.
fadskier
If you watch the video, IMO it is obvious that Chauvin knows what he is doing.
Forest Bueller_bf
Guilty, manslaughter or 3rd degree murder.

Although 2nd degree is not out of the question.

He had a total disregard for the mans life.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
3rd degree murder
Canon
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what the evidence or even the jury thinks, really. There's enough promised violence and tacit guarantees that a juror who doesn't vote guilty will be destroyed, that the verdict was likely guilty before the trial ever began.
Canada2017
Manslaughter.
Canada2017
Canon said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what the evidence or even the jury thinks, really. There's enough promised violence and tacit guarantees that a juror who doesn't vote guilty will be destroyed, that the verdict was likely guilty before the trial ever began.

100% true ......though most people would loathe to admit it .
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

3rd degree murder
You and I agree. Not premeditated. Not a crime of passion. Chauvin ****ed up. Much worse than manslaughter. Hope he gets no less than 30 years.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Canon
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

3rd degree murder
You and I agree. Not premeditated. Not a crime of passion. Chauvin ****ed up. Much worse than manslaughter. Hope he gets no less than 30 years.
If it was excited delirium, as has been indicated by some, rather than asphyxiation by Chauvin, as the prosecution alleges, it wasn't murder or manslaughter. Also, if it was brought on by drug use, (fentanyl and methamphetamine use can cause hypoxia or asphyxiation), then it also wasn't murder or manslaughter.

None of this indicates Chauvin was right in keeping his knee or Floyd for 8 minutes That was unnecessary and certainly police brutality, given the surcease of struggle from Floyd. I'm not sure police brutality in this particular manner is worth 30 years, if evidence indicates he wasn't the cause of Floyd's death.

All that said, it won't matter, as the conviction is all but certain based on the promise of violence if it isn't achieved. If it is guilty, however, it looks like there may be ample justification for an appeal, given the city settling the civil suit and failure to move the trial to a location that is less politicized. This isn't going away any time soon and justice has replaced her blindfold with X-ray specs.
Buddha Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

3rd degree murder

Agreed
Sam Lowry
Not enough information to say.
Mitch Blood Green
Buddha Bear
Sam Lowry said:

Not enough information to say.

The other 2 officers standing by are not guilty IMO, and they'll be tried later. But Chauvin is going to jail for at least one of those counts. And deservedly so.

I'm glad these witnesses on the stand are on video for the world to see everyday. The police officers on the stand are damning enough testimony. Shaking my head in disbelief if anyone disagrees.
JXL
He's guilty of murder. No doubt in my mind.
muddybrazos
I think once the defense shows the video from other angles they won't be able to convict for murder. Other photo angles show Chauvin's knee on Floyds shoulder plus the fact he had 3x lethal dose of fentanyl in his system.
curtpenn
As always, it's fascinating to read the great variety of responses based on basically the same information. Not a lawyer and don't pretend to know the letter of the law here, consequently I don't really have a firm opinion on this. Seems to me the knee restraint may have contributed to Floyd's death. That said, also seems likely his physical condition and drug usage may have contributed to his death. I don't see any certainty here one way or the other.
J.B.Katz
Does anybody think Floyd would be alive today if Chauvin hadn't kept the knee to his neck until he lost consciousness and then kept it there?

2 autopsy reports said the neck compression caused his death.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/30/facebook-posts/no-autopsy-doesnt-say-george-floyd-died-overdose/

• Two autopsy reports said the manner of George Floyd's death was a homicide. Neither said the cause of his death was a fentanyl overdose.
  • The Hennepin County medical examiner found fentanyl in Floyd's system, but the autopsy said the cause of his death was "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law-enforcement subdual restraint, and neck compression."
  • Experts told the Washington Post they did not believe Floyd died from the fentanyl.
Forest Bueller_bf
J.B.Katz said:

Does anybody think Floyd would be alive today if Chauvin hadn't kept the knee to his neck until he lost consciousness and then kept it there?

2 autopsy reports said the neck compression caused his death.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/30/facebook-posts/no-autopsy-doesnt-say-george-floyd-died-overdose/

• Two autopsy reports said the manner of George Floyd's death was a homicide. Neither said the cause of his death was a fentanyl overdose.
  • The Hennepin County medical examiner found fentanyl in Floyd's system, but the autopsy said the cause of his death was "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law-enforcement subdual restraint, and neck compression."
  • Experts told the Washington Post they did not believe Floyd died from the fentanyl.

Pretty close to 100% sure Floyd would be with us today, had Chauvin not done what he did. He was on a power trip for sure. Minutes after he passed out/was gone he was still kneeling.
BUMBA1
George Floyd would absolutely still be here today if he did not have a knee on his neck for 9 minutes. If I was a juror, the defense would have to prove to me beyond a doubt that Floyd would have died in that scenario without a knee to his neck. That's going to be hard to do. Chauvin knew exactly what he was doing.
Canon
BUMBA1 said:

George Floyd would absolutely still be here today if he did not have a knee on his neck for 9 minutes. If I was a juror, the defense would have to prove to me beyond a doubt that Floyd would have died in that scenario without a knee to his neck. That's going to be hard to do. Chauvin knew exactly what he was doing.
I am not certain that the "But-For" test is often applied in murder trials.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/but-for_test

Regardless, the reasonable doubt requirement is biased toward innocence, not guilt. If you did what you describe, as a juror, you would not be rendering justice.

Jack and DP
Canon said:

BUMBA1 said:

Regardless, the reasonable doubt requirement is biased toward innocence, not guilt. If you did what you describe, as a juror, you would not be rendering justice.

Correct. I've served on the jury in a Murder trial. It's interesting to comment on a trial, but it's a different situation when you're in the jury box.
Forest Bueller_bf
Jack and DP said:

Canon said:

BUMBA1 said:

Correct. I've served on the jury in a Murder trial. It's interesting to comment on a trial, but it's a different situation when you're in the jury box.

I agree with this, my brother was on the jury of a murder trial in Dallas. Said it was obvious the guy was guilty, but it is still much more difficult to vote guilty than you would think, knowing you are ending someone's life effectively. He said he did what he had to do, but it is more difficult than it looks. They were looking for any reasonable doubt, and it just wasn't there.
BylrFan
there's no need to be on a guy for 8 minutes when there's no resisting taking place, there's 4 other cops there. Throw him in a vehicle and this wouldn't be a story.
jimdue
The only defense that I can see that would sniff at an acquittal would be the medical examiner report clearly showing that he died due to a lethal drug cocktail.

There is no justifying the cop keeping his knee on his neck that long. There is no justifying the other cops not getting that cop to stop and just put him in the car.

Jack and DP
BylrFan said:

there's no need to be on a guy for 8 minutes when there's no resisting taking place, there's 4 other cops there. Throw him in a vehicle and this wouldn't be a story.

I believe he had already been in the back of a police cruiser and was freaking out.
Sam Lowry
BUMBA1 said:

With all due respect, then, you definitely should not be on that jury.
Redbrickbear
BylrFan said:

Agree,

But apparently they were waiting on an ambulance to arrive.

They had tried to keep him in the police car already.

The ambulance was delayed...had it been there on time we probably would not be having this conversation.
Thee University
BUMBA1 said:

George Floyd might (can't say absolutely due to his long history of flirting with disaster, drug use, prison, violence, running with a bad crowd,etc.) still be here today if:

1. he did not do drugs - lots of lots of lots of drugs
2. he did not try to pass a counterfeit bill
3. he obeyed the police
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Which one of these three carry a death sentence?
D. C. Bear

1 and 3, unfortunately, can carry a death sentence. So can 2 if you try it on the wrong person.
Forest Bueller_bf

#1 sure can be.

Had one California cousin OD while on drugs, another had a wreck and was killed while high on drugs and another one did so many their brain was pretty much fried after years like that ended up committing suicide.

My Uncle moved out there with their 7 kids and 3 of them ended up dead one way or another primarily because of drug usage. Very sad.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Sorry for confusing so many. How about this?

Which one of these 3 carries a death sentence imposed by the state?

D. C. Bear

Sorry for confusing so many. How about this?

Which one of these 3 carries a death sentence imposed by the state?

Only 3, and then only in very limited circumstances that don't apply in this case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.