Houston area dining talk

101,447 Views | 1068 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bularry
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those of us down in the greater Harris, Montgomery, Fort Bend area. General posts about places we've been or discovered.

For anyone in Sugar Land and Mo City areas, for a nice meal out I highly recommend Brandani's. Really like this place. Good people making really good food.
BaylorHistory
My personal favorite is

Mala Sichuan

“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
GoBearsGo
We are hitting T Rex Saturday. Oxheart was probably one of the best meals I have ever had. Can't wait to taste Justin Yu's new creations.

We loved Underbelly, but it has lost some of the magic for us.

Coltivare or PaxAmericana are our two favorites.

We love outside of Beaumont but have a group that hit Houston restaurants about every 6 weeks or so. We have been working off the Top 100 list. We try and stick to the top 20-30 or so.
bularry
I also thought Oxheart was great and I'm a big Underbelly fan. Never been disappointed

I haven't been to Pax or Coltivaire.
GoBearsGo
Went to TRex last night. One of the best meals I have ever had. Great food. The descriptions on the menu don't even begin to fully describe the food. Simple but amazing flavors. Great wine at reasonable prices. Never felt rushed. Was outstanding.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Went to TRex last night. One of the best meals I have ever had. Great food. The descriptions on the menu don't even begin to fully describe the food. Simple but amazing flavors. Great wine at reasonable prices. Never felt rushed. Was outstanding.
Great to hear! I didn't even realize it was open until you posted you were going.

Got it on my list for sure
CTCBear
Will be following this as I enjoy the Houston restaurant scene.

What did you get at TRex? I had the tomato toast (which was ridiculous), beef cheek and the chicken. One of the best meals I've had in a while.

Coltivare, Pax and Underbelly are always solid choices. I would toss Pass and Provisions in as well.

All of Hugo Ortega's places are reliable as well. Hugo's, Xochi, Caracol, etc.

Glad someone mentioned Mala Sichuan, and I am pumped that we are getting one in Katy soon. There are tons of great meals to be had in Chinatown. I would probably say Ohn Korean Eatery has been the best. Its Korean BBQ, but not in the traditional way.

GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

What did you get at TRex? I had the tomato toast (which was ridiculous), beef cheek and the chicken. One of the best meals I've had in a while.

Coltivare, Pax and Underbelly are always solid choices. I would toss Pass and Provisions in as well.

All of Hugo Ortega's places are reliable as well. Hugo's, Xochi, Caraco;, etc.

Glad someone mentioned Mala Sichuan, and I am pumped that we are getting one in Katy soon. There are tons of great meals to be had in Chinatown. I would probably say Ohn Korean Eatery has been the best. Its Korean BBQ, but not in the traditional way.

Trex-We had a couple orders of the toast, which was awesome. We had the checks and the salad. We had the chicken and steak with he butter beans and potatoes for sides. Everything was outstanding. I think even better than Oxheart, simplly because we got to chose what we wanted. Justin Yu is a master of flavors. We had the Paris breast and the ice cream for dessert. The breast could have been a little more sweet for me.

Overall one of the best meals I have had and my new favorite place to go along with Pax and Coltiavre.

We love Hugo's, the brunch on Sunday is killer. We want to try Xochi soon.

We did Pass last year and had the big tasting menu and it was great.

We have a few couple and we drive over from Beaumont area every so often.
bularry
My wife and I have two favorites in the city. For happy hour time we love Weights and Measures. Killer wine by the glass program and discounted food options including a great carrot pizza. All cheap during HH.

Other favorite is Dolce Vita, love that menu and especially the Tellagio pizza
GoBearsGo
Two things-

Underbelly is moving and Chris is opening a steakhouse in it's place. One Fifth Steak was terrific so I am excited for this. UB had gotten off track, IMO. Very Asian and Fish focus.

Went to State of Grace and did the Chef's Counter. 7 courses and it was outstanding. I would highly recommend it for great food and a really neat experience to see a kitchen run.
BaylorOkie
I was in town this weekend and we had lunch at Banana Leaf in China Town and dinner at Bosscat Kitchen on Westheimer. Don't think either are probably on the Best of Houston list, but we really liked both.

I finally got to try Balcones at Bosscat. Single Malt and Baby Blue. Loved them both.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Two things-

Underbelly is moving and Chris is opening a steakhouse in it's place. One Fifth Steak was terrific so I am excited for this. UB had gotten off track, IMO. Very Asian and Fish focus.

Went to State of Grace and did the Chef's Counter. 7 courses and it was outstanding. I would highly recommend it for great food and a really neat experience to see a kitchen run.

I will disagree Underbelly was "off track". You are the first person I've seen praise One Fifth Steak. Frankly a high end steakhouse is the last thing Houston needs

Will agree State of Grace makes excellent food
CTCBear
One Fifth Steak served me the best piece of meat I have had in Houston, and I've eaten at every Steakhouse in town....I thought the restaurant was fantastic.

Underbelly, while not "off track", began to move away from the restaurant I loved....but that is only a personal choice. The food remained great, but I found myself going less than usual.

State of Grace is fantastic. Everything from Lunch to the tasting menu has been on point. I look forward to trying his Mexican place in the Heights (if its even opened).

The next place on my list is Nobie's.
bularry
Gotcha.

I haven't been to Nobie
GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

One Fifth Steak served me the best piece of meat I have had in Houston, and I've eaten at every Steakhouse in town....I thought the restaurant was fantastic.

Underbelly, while not "off track", began to move away from the restaurant I loved....but that is only a personal choice. The food remained great, but I found myself going less than usual.

State of Grace is fantastic. Everything from Lunch to the tasting menu has been on point. I look forward to trying his Mexican place in the Heights (if its even opened).

Off track is maybe too harsh. It has moved away from the place that I used to love.

We have our second trip to T-Rex this Saturday night and I'm really looking forward to it. What they can do with food, especially veggies is unreal.

One Fifth was very well received. I do agree that I'm not sure we need another steakhouse in Houston. I think part of One Fifth was the limited time it was open. We have not tried the new version, there are just so many good places and so few times we get to Houston.

bularry
GoBearsGo said:

CTCBear said:

O I do agree that I'm not sure we need another steakhouse in Houston. I think part of One Fifth was the limited time it was open. We have not tried the new version, there are just so many good places and so few times we get to Houston.

Seems an explosion of really expensive steak places. Started with B&B and has just kept escalating and now Landry's has a new one opening, too.

I like to think we are a more diverse food town than that, but maybe not.

Took our family to State of Grace last Friday night and our reservation was late. They were sold out of the steak option. Made me kinda sad. This great restaurant with great chefs and people still are, in general, too chicken to order outside of their comfort zone much.
CTCBear
GoBearsGo said:

We have our second trip to T-Rex this Saturday night and I'm really looking forward to it. What they can do with food, especially veggies is unreal.

Since you have already been once, I am assuming I dont have to tell you to make sure you order the tomato toast at T-Rex...

Another place I am really excited to try at some point is Nancy's Hustle. Just opened up in EaDo. American/French food but the wine program is done by Justin Vann. Apparently it has a natural wine focus. Supposed to be fantastic.
GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

GoBearsGo said:

Since you have already been once, I am assuming I dont have to tell you to make sure you order the tomato toast at T-Rex...

Another place I am really excited to try at some point is Nancy's Hustle. Just opened up in EaDo. American/French food but the wine program is done by Justin Vann. Apparently it has a natural wine focus. Supposed to be fantastic.
First time we went we shared a lot of the dishes. I will get my own tomato toast this time. Same with the potatoes if they have them. I'm not sure I'll get an entre. Just a bunch of the small plates.

I've also heard great things about Nancy's. Looking forward to trying it as well.
GoBearsGo
Went to Trex 12/23.

Arrived and our table was not ready. They took us next door to a small art studio with a record player and comfy seats. We relaxed with some complementary sparkling wine. Got to our table and once again the food was great. I think we ordered almost the whole menu. All the small plates were outstanding. There was not a single item that was less the very good. Our entrees were excellent.

The highlight was Justin Yu coming to our table to ask what he could do better. We then had a great conversation about how he creates his dishes. He said he starts with what emotion he wants you to feel while eating the dish then goes from there. Really next level *****

Pretty sure it's may favorite place now. Also you can bring your own wine, $35 fee or if you buy one of theirs it's no charge, which is what we usually do.
bularry
awesome, thanks for the info!
DioNoZeus
CTCBear said:

All of Hugo Ortega's places are reliable as well. Hugo's, Xochi, Caracol, etc.

I'm in Houston visiting the in-laws and we went to Mein yesterday (next door to Ohn). It is similar to Hong Kong style diners that have become popular on the west coast. I was so glad to finally find a restaurant that serves egg tofu, something to which I became addicted to while living near Chinatown in Chicago. If you go, ask them to make the salt and pepper tofu with egg tofu. You won't be disappointed. Will be trying Ohn later this week.
This place is toxic. Unsubscribing

-Bono/Chitwood/Norman Dale/Sunny Ortiz/John Galt/and soon to be The Toxic Avenger
CTCBear
DioNoZeus said:

I'm in Houston visiting the in-laws and we went to Mein yesterday (next door to Ohn). It is similar to Hong Kong style diners that have become popular on the west coast. I was so glad to finally find a restaurant that serves egg tofu, something to which I became addicted to while living near Chinatown in Chicago. If you go, ask them to make the salt and pepper tofu with egg tofu. You won't be disappointed. Will be trying Ohn later this week.
Love Mein! The pork belly is fantastic. Mike Tran, the owner and chef of both Ohn and Mein, also opened a poke place there as well.
ColomboLQ
GoBearsGo said:

Went to Trex 12/23.

Arrived and our table was not ready. They took us next door to a small art studio with a record player and comfy seats. We relaxed with some complementary sparkling wine. Got to our table and once again the food was great. I think we ordered almost the whole menu. All the small plates were outstanding. There was not a single item that was less the very good. Our entrees were excellent.

The highlight was Justin Yu coming to our table to ask what he could do better. We then had a great conversation about how he creates his dishes. He said he starts with what emotion he wants you to feel while eating the dish then goes from there. Really next level *****

Pretty sure it's may favorite place now. Also you can bring your own wine, $35 fee or if you buy one of theirs it's no charge, which is what we usually do.
Feeling emotions when eating food? That happens to people?
bularry
Wife and I made our maiden trip to Coltivare. Long ass wait but food was outstanding. Loved it
FranchiseBear
Went to Roka Akor 2 Saturdays ago on the rec of several friends. It was outstanding. A few highlights... Robata grilled pork belly (melt in your mouth), diver sea scallops, nigiri chef selection, hamachi and serrano chili roll.

We had the ribeye entree. I'm a ribeye fan and I would skip it next time and just order a few more rolls. The freshness and quality of fish was really good. Agree with this thread that Houston has a solid restaurant scene.
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

For those of us down in the greater Harris, Montgomery, Fort Bend area. General posts about places we've been or discovered.

For anyone in Sugar Land and Mo City areas, for a nice meal out I highly recommend Brandani's. Really like this place. Good people making really good food.
I live in Mo City and there are several decent options close by but not at the level most of this thread has discussed.

Akashi Asian Fusion is solid. Love the Gyoza and Crab Puffs (Best I've had...definitely not Chinese take out or buffet quality) Rolls are good and the Chinese menu is fine.

a hidden gem if you haven't tried it is on Murphy Road and is called Casa Vaqueros. It is a no frills mom and pop Tex Mex shop. The service is great and the food is really good, but the price is just amazing. It's become a once a week stop for us... just don't expect a parking spot or a table right away on Friday or Saturday from 5-9.
JusHappy2BeHere
BaylorHistory said:

My personal favorite is

Mala Sichuan

IMHO, Mala is the best Chinese Restaurant in town. It's just awesome. I know a few Anglos where scared to try it... I think someone mentioned the crispy intestines being on the menu....

The crispy Sichuan Chicken is so good, but watch out... that Sichuan pepper will make your lips and tongue tingle and maybe go numb for a bit...
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

I live in Mo City and there are several decent options close by but not at the level most of this thread has discussed.

Akashi Asian Fusion is solid. Love the Gyoza and Crab Puffs (Best I've had...definitely not Chinese take out or buffet quality) Rolls are good and the Chinese menu is fine.

a hidden gem if you haven't tried it is on Murphy Road and is called Casa Vaqueros. It is a no frills mom and pop Tex Mex shop. The service is great and the food is really good, but the price is just amazing. It's become a once a week stop for us... just don't expect a parking spot or a table right away on Friday or Saturday from 5-9.

La Escondida is my go to Tex-mex in Mo City

Keepers is pretty good Japanese food Kabob cafe is tasty Persian. Fast food is Tornado Burger
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

La Escondida is my go to Tex-mex in Mo City

Keepers is pretty good Japanese food Kabob cafe is tasty Persian. Fast food is Tornado Burger
I like Keepers a lot... La Escondida is much more expensive and not any better... I do like that they give you refried black beans with your chips, but I feel like they try to be more than they are.

Have you been to the Pizza and Bar that took over the Black-eyed Pea space? I heard they have live music on the weekends

Tornado Burger and Tornado Taco are both awesome!
bularry
Don't disparage the Dida! Been eating there 20 years since they opened up Murphy Rd. Still my favorite

I have been to Capone's once. Very average. Not a bad bar, but not really for me. I'm at Vino & Vinyl a lot

We grab breakfast tacos from Tornado taco on the weekend pretty often
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

Don't disparage the Dida! Been eating there 20 years since they opened up Murphy Rd. Still my favorite

I have been to Capone's once. Very average. Not a bad bar, but not really for me. I'm at Vino & Vinyl a lot

We grab breakfast tacos from Tornado taco on the weekend pretty often
We went to La Escondida since it was on Murphy and were regs at the new location till we started going to Casa Vaqueros last year.

My daughter (29) thinks we are nuts and that there is nothing better than the Dida!

Tornado Taco is the best on the weekend. Un Tocino, Huevos, con Quesso y Una Barbacoa
BaylorOkie
JusHappy2BeHere said:

My daughter (29)

Sweet mercy you're old! You should be eating creamed corn.
JusHappy2BeHere
BaylorOkie said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

My daughter (29)

Sweet mercy you're old! You should be eating creamed corn.

that just hurts

I didn't mean to get old.... It just happened....

Creamed Corn? Go check out the food porn thread.... I need to get back to cooking.... Now that the manchild's wedding is over maybe I'll actually have time
BaylorOkie
Invite me over and I'll eat!
JusHappy2BeHere
BaylorOkie said:

Invite me over and I'll eat!

maybe a tailgate next fall?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.