Houston area dining talk

102,617 Views | 1070 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by bularry
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FranchiseBear said:

From what I've heard a larger line of credit!!

I have heard that too. The same group just opened up a French restaurant called Annabelle with similar obscene prices, but it does look pretty tasty
GoBearsGo
Annual Christmas weekend is Thursday through Sunday

Th-Coltivare and Lei Lo
Fr-Squable and Miracle at Johnnys Goldbrick
Sat-Navy Blu and Julep

We will hit Miracle at Winnie's and Toasted Coconut for brunch as well.

Might stop by a few more Christmas bars as well. I'll post some photos as we go.
FranchiseBear
That is a great line up. Where do you live?

Before or after Coltivare make sure to hit EZs Liquor lounge next door. Owned by same group - it's like an old school ice house and has cocktails. Perfect set up given how tight coltivares bar is.
GoBearsGo
FranchiseBear said:

That is a great line up. Where do you live?

Before or after Coltivare make sure to hit EZs Liquor lounge next door. Owned by same group - it's like an old school ice house and has cocktails. Perfect set up given how tight coltivares bar is.

I'm north of Beaumont. We come over for dinner some. It this weekend is an annual event with some friends. We get a house in the heights. We were lots of Christmas clothes and have lots of drinks and food.
CammoTX
I spent almost $500 but Turners was pretty great. Coconut cake was amazing. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas and the table next to the piano just made it better.
GoBearsGo
Houston Christmas Trip-

Thursday-dinner at coltivare. Always great. Our friends first time and they loved it. Finished the night at Lei Low. Great tiki bar and Christmas cocktails.

Friday-lunch was at Winnie's. Miracle does a Christmas popup at two Houston locations. Think Christmas takeover. Winnie's has a great lunch menu so we got a couple of burgers and Christmas drinks.
Dinner was Squable which was great as always. Finished at Johnny's Gold Brick. Again a Miracle popup. Fun drinks and vibe.

Saturday-brunch at Toasted Coconut. Dinner at Navy Blue. Loved it. Fish dip was great. Had a great Endive Salad but say the Caesar and it looked great. Two great fish dishes, a branzino and a snapper. Both outstanding. Also had crawfish risotto which was great. Some nice cocktails and a great key lime pie. Will for sure be back. Beautiful restaurant.
Finished at Julep. Reservations are a must but this is just a great cocktail bar that is a must for Christmas.

bularry
I'm very jealous of the Christmas jackets!!
bularry
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Made a reservation for NavyBlu in December. Looking forward to it.

Taking the family to Bludorn in December.

Be curious to get your thoughts on Navy

Bludorn dinner last night with total of 6. Not cheap, but I have to say the food was outstanding. Service was a touch uneven... but had a great conversation with the somm working the floor and overall a very positive experience. Will definitely return.

Also went to Nancy's Hustle with some friends last week. It was top notch, great meal. mushroom dish was the best mushroom related item I've ever eaten...simple but incredible.
GoBearsGo
Who has NYE plans? We are in Whistler skiing and I am thrilled that fireworks go off at 9.
GoBearsGo
Bump!!

Where you at guys?
bularry
sitting at home.... had a cold to start the year and now wife is sick and trying to make me eat healthy...

CammoTX
Had Nielsen's deli for lunch. Pumpernickel bread and danish havarti cheese with any protein and you are guaranteed a great sammich. Best mayo anywhere.
bularry
dang, haven't been there in ages...
FranchiseBear
Last weekend we hit a few new spots…
Friday night went to Zanti in River Oaks shopping center. It's next door to Brasserie 19. Had a LV type feel and was some good people watching. Food was decent to good - we had a pizza and bolognese. Big bar area and have a guy playing piano and later dj playing club music. Quite a scene and don't know I'll be rushing back.

Saturday night - Gratify in the old Punks space. Owned by same group that has Copa, Brasserie 19 etc. really liked it. I had off the menu carbonara and my wife had the Dover sole special. The special was outstanding and highly recommend. Great service and will definitely go back.

Going to Heights Theater tonight so likely hit something over there.
bularry
FranchiseBear said:

Last weekend we hit a few new spots…
Friday night went to Zanti in River Oaks shopping center. It's next door to Brasserie 19. Had a LV type feel and was some good people watching. Food was decent to good - we had a pizza and bolognese. Big bar area and have a guy playing piano and later dj playing club music. Quite a scene and don't know I'll be rushing back.

Saturday night - Gratify in the old Punks space. Owned by same group that has Copa, Brasserie 19 etc. really liked it. I had off the menu carbonara and my wife had the Dover sole special. The special was outstanding and highly recommend. Great service and will definitely go back.

Going to Heights Theater tonight so likely hit something over there.
I have only been to each once, but I'm more likely to return to Zanti than Gratify I think. Now I didn't have any dj time on my one visit, but my food was really good.

I had a good meal at Gratify but all those concepts have this feel like I'm supposed to have gratitude that I'm getting to dine there, because it is so awesome. It ain't that awesome... maybe I'm just grumpy, I don't know
CammoTX
Need recommendations for a cool place to take someone from out of town. Only requirement is good old fashions
bularry
CammoTX said:

Need recommendations for a cool place to take someone from out of town. Only requirement is good old fashions
I'm too old for cool places.... Maybe Zanti in River Oaks? I'm assuming their bar can make an old fashioned.
GoBearsGo
CammoTX said:

Permission whiskey bar? Then head to Squable or something new in the heights.
FranchiseBear
Maybe that I was not in the mood for the 'scene' at Zanti on a Friday night. It was very Vegas so me- and I like Vegas. Gratify just felt more comfortable to me. Like some of the cool laid back spots in Nashville. I'll give Zanti another shot though.
bularry
FranchiseBear said:

Maybe that I was not in the mood for the 'scene' at Zanti on a Friday night. It was very Vegas so me- and I like Vegas. Gratify just felt more comfortable to me. Like some of the cool laid back spots in Nashville. I'll give Zanti another shot though.
I think that's very fair and I'm not sure I'd go often to Zanti. Interesting scene in that bar if you catch it on the right night, at least that's what I've heard.
GoBearsGo
Shift gears-Sonoma wineries?

Headed out in March. Going to visit Kosta Browne, what's one or two you'd like if you know of any?

I'd prefer something that is more of an allocation list and not a club.
FranchiseBear
I am not a big wine guy but... Smith Story Wine Cellars is a husband wife team and Alison Smith Story is a Baylor alum. I do not know how close Healdsburg is to where you will be but if you contacted Alison in advance I am sure she would roll out the red carpet for you. You can get some of their wines at HEB/Central Market.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Shift gears-Sonoma wineries?

Headed out in March. Going to visit Kosta Browne, what's one or two you'd like if you know of any?

I'd prefer something that is more of an allocation list and not a club.

Ceritas? You have to contact them and see if they'll do a tasting or not. Healdsburg area, so near KB. Also look into RAEN, mondavi grandkids project. Pretty good pinot.

bularry
Wife and I decided last night we wanted fish so dropped into Little's Oyster Bar.

First, mostly business dinners and a few special occasion celebrations going on around us it seemed. So obviously based on that crowd, not my normal Tuesday night dinner.

That said, our fish entrees were outstanding. Service was great and we enjoyed ourselves. We just ate some oysters and our entrees and one glass of wine each, so didn't hit up the various cold and warm appetizers they offer, but if you want to blow it out, they definitely will do it.

Go Bears Go, y'all should hit this place up when y'all come to town to party a little. $$$ for sure.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Wife and I decided last night we wanted fish so dropped into Little's Oyster Bar.

First, mostly business dinners and a few special occasion celebrations going on around us it seemed. So obviously based on that crowd, not my normal Tuesday night dinner.

That said, our fish entrees were outstanding. Service was great and we enjoyed ourselves. We just ate some oysters and our entrees and one glass of wine each, so didn't hit up the various cold and warm appetizers they offer, but if you want to blow it out, they definitely will do it.

Go Bears Go, y'all should hit this place up when y'all come to town to party a little. $$$ for sure.

I was the high bidder for a dinner there for a charity auction. They ended up sending me a $850 gift card. So I'm in for $850.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

I was the high bidder for a dinner there for a charity auction. They ended up sending me a $850 gift card. So I'm in for $850.
Very nice! avoid the white burgundy and you should be able to drink well and eat a haul of seafood with 4 persons.
CammoTX
Anyone been to Rumi's Kitchen? New Persian restaurant that Looks really good.

Also, thoughts on Reil? Never been there but heard good things?
bularry
CammoTX said:

Riel is excellent and definitely unique. get the mussels if still on the menu, they are amazing. I admit to being a bit biased as I live 2 blocks away and this is a neighborhood staple.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

CammoTX said:

Riel is excellent and definitely unique. get the mussels if still on the menu, they are amazing. I admit to being a bit biased as I live 2 blocks away and this is a neighborhood staple.

Love Reil. If I lived close by I would be there all the time. Big fan of the caviar tots and burger.
GoBearsGo
bump on this
bularry
Got a new stupid spot on my radar.... MF Sushi chefs are opening MF Lobster in a new development by Montrose area. Lots of Lobster dishes including a roll, mac n cheese, etc. plus other NE seafood dishes like clam chowder, etc. Gotta say, I'm intrigued for a good roll. I'm sure it is stupid expensive, but probably give it a whirl here in the near future.

CammoTX
Anyone been to Rainbow Lodge recently? Is it still good?
DioNoZeus
CammoTX said:

Anyone been to Rainbow Lodge recently? Is it still good?
I went several months ago. It was really good. Looking for an opportunity to go back.
This place is toxic. Unsubscribing

-Bono/Chitwood/Norman Dale/Sunny Ortiz/John Galt/and soon to be The Toxic Avenger
bularry
Going to Mimo's next week, will let everyone know if drive to East side is worth it or not.
CammoTX
Ate at Killen's in Heights last night. Great food and pineapple martini was next level awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.