Houston area dining talk

101,416 Views | 1068 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bularry
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Niko's is good and only go to original on Montrose... but you wanna go where the regular people go, hit up the nearby Al's Quick Stop (looks shady, but okay)

I also like Burger Joint across the street and Aladdin nearby is good Med style food, too
WILLIS
I frequent Ekko's Greek American Deli on Richmond for quick fast food gyro, hummus, etc fix.
bularry
Went to March last night. Did the 9 course Greek menu... phenomenal This was our 3rd trip to the Lounge with the current Greek inspired cocktail menu and they are all really, really good.

Top notch experience if you can swing the $$$, although my wife thinks she wants to stick with just 6 courses on future visits. 9 is a lot

WILLIS
Heading to Xin Cao tonight with another couple. Never been.
WILLIS
Gahlee I am full. Everything was fantastic. And pretty darn reasonable. Our table for 4, couple cocktails/beers each and tons of food was $230 before tip. Will go back there again.

$2 oysters all day every Tuesday fyi.
bularry
WILLIS said:

Gahlee I am full. Everything was fantastic. And pretty darn reasonable. Our table for 4, couple cocktails/beers each and tons of food was $230 before tip. Will go back there again.

$2 oysters all day every Tuesday fyi.
yeah, my couple of visits have been top notch there.
CammoTX
Anyone been to Graffiti Raw? Any good?
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Went to March last night. Did the 9 course Greek menu... phenomenal This was our 3rd trip to the Lounge with the current Greek inspired cocktail menu and they are all really, really good.

Top notch experience if you can swing the $$$, although my wife thinks she wants to stick with just 6 courses on future visits. 9 is a lot

I am jealous. Once the boy gets out of the house we need to get a dinner at March.
bularry
CammoTX said:

Anyone been to Graffiti Raw? Any good?
cool looking spot that is definitely drawing in the crowds.. but that ownership group definitely has the pulse on the River Oaks crowd (and those that aspire to be in such a crowd)

Let us know what you think if you go.
GoBearsGo
Hitting up Golfstrommen next week before the Tyler Childers concert. Excited to try it. Anyone been?
WILLIS
I'm going to that concert!
GoBearsGo
WILLIS said:

We have seen him a few times. Last time was Red Rocks in 2021. We have tickets at Red Rocks again for September. Big fan of Tyler.
GoBearsGo
WILLIS said:

Great seeing you. It;s always funny to try and explain to people how we know someone from here.

Golfstrommen was slooooow but good. I am not sure I would go back before a concert. We got a group of starters and I figured it would all come out at once. Instead it was one plate at a time with probably 10-15min between each plate. We have 6 people and everything was where you could have a bite.

If we go back I would stick with some of the big plates and order all at once.

713 was a great concert venue. We had a side box and that is the way to go.
WILLIS
I was totally unimpressed with POST. Took us like 30 min to get a couple beers at the main bar. I've never seen bartenders make margaritas and move around so slowly without a care in the world. I was under the impression there were more places in there that offered seated service. Just a fancy food court besides gulfstrommen. Won't be back most likely.
GoBearsGo
WILLIS said:

I was totally unimpressed with POST. Took us like 30 min to get a couple beers at the main bar. I've never seen bartenders make margaritas and move around so slowly without a care in the world. I was under the impression there were more places in there that offered seated service. Just a fancy food court besides gulfstrommen. Won't be back most likely.
We have gone with our teen son and some of his friends before a musical. Easy for everyone to get something they like. It can get really crowded and the bar is very slow. Night of a concert they need to be staffed up and ready to sling them dranks.

Most of these chefs halls are fine, but I would rather go to a full service restaurant most nights.
FranchiseBear
I am a newbie to Birria tacos. Any places the board recommends in Houston? I have heard of Tacos Dona Lena - any good? Any other spots I need to try?

Also interested in authentic tex-mex joints N of I10 in the spring branch area - so much great food there.

CTCBear
Dona Lena is great. They do randomly close some days so I would call before you go to make sure they are open.
br53
FranchiseBear said:

I am a newbie to Birria tacos. Any places the board recommends in Houston? I have heard of Tacos Dona Lena - any good? Any other spots I need to try?

Also interested in authentic tex-mex joints N of I10 in the spring branch area - so much great food there.

Angies Munchies in Spring Branch, TJ Birria Y Mas in The Heights. Casa De Leon in Spring Branch.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
FranchiseBear
Thanks for the responses. I just looked at Angies Munchies IG page. Holy cow that looks good!
GoBearsGo
Anyone go out for Mother's Day?

We did the feast at Indianola. Was great as usual. It's a sit down buffet. They have a menu and just start brining food. If you want more of something or don't want something you just tell them. We have done it a couple o times for various holidays. I highly recommend it.
br53
We went to Amalfi. Food was very good service was subpar.
WILLIS
I've lived half a mile from there for 4 years and haven't been.
FranchiseBear
I think it's pretty good but it's hard to beat Carrabba's on Voss food quality and service.
bularry
we did brunch at Hugo's. Not really a buffet guy, but that was damn good.

Need to check out Indianola sometime, haven't been
WILLIS
Going to Rudy and Paco next Saturday. Excited about that.
WILLIS
My in laws tried "Vargas Cut & Catch" by Paco last weekend and said it was a top 10 meal in their 65 years of living. And they fine dine, A LOT.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

we did brunch at Hugo's. Not really a buffet guy, but that was damn good.

Need to check out Indianola sometime, haven't been
The chef at Indianola is great. Martha Wilcox is her name. She was at Pax Americana when it was hopping then moved to Seattle. She came back a little bit ago and took over the kitchen there.
CammoTX
WILLIS said:

My in laws tried "Vargas Cut & Catch" by Paco last weekend and said it was a top 10 meal in their 65 years of living. And they fine dine, A LOT.

Wow. Been wanting to try it
bularry
Non Houston update -

Spent a few nights in Austin to relax and celebrate our anniversary.

June's all day - enjoyed it
Bufalina - really good
Barley Swine - excellent for a formal experience

If you really hate money and want to spend it, I nominate Hestia. Service was great and we enjoyed the food, but dang, that bill was a kick in the balls.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

Non Houston update -

Bufalina - really good

If you really hate money and want to spend it, I nominate Hestia. Service was great and we enjoyed the food, but dang, that bill was a kick in the balls.
Like a March kick or a Bludorn kick?
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

Non Houston update -

Bufalina - really good

Like a March kick or a Bludorn kick?
Bludorn region I'd guess, maybe a March 6 course with basic wines....
CammoTX
Finally went to Eunice last night. Oysters, soft shell crab, flounder - all really great. Cornbread was amazing - up there with Willa Jean's in New Orleans. Sidecar cocktail could also hold its own with any good bar in NOLA. Wines were really overpriced but that's my only complaint.

Lemon icebox pie phenomenal for dessert.
br53
Went to Bari last night. Excellent service and the food and drinks were just as good.
OsosDelRioBrazos
Trying squable for the first time this weekend... any must have dishes?

And to pay my dues to this excellend thread I will drop a tidbit about Bludorn: 3rd project will be a Bar concept in the Memorial area aiming to open early 2024; signature dish planned to be a wagyu burger
CTCBear
Squable changes out the menu quite a bit so i haven't had too much on the current one. I will say the mussel toast in a must and the burger is fantastic. Every pasta dish i have had has been a win. Also, I would recommend going for happy hour as they do 50% off all alcohol. Great way to try a nice bottle of wine or a cheap but great cocktail.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.