Houston area dining talk

102,627 Views | 1070 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by bularry
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CammoTX said:

Ate at Killen's in Heights last night. Great food and pineapple martini was next level awesome.
I ate there once and found it to be highly mediocre. On Waugh just past Washington avenue, right?
CammoTX
Heights Blvd.

JusHappy2BeHere
Did the patio at Rainbow Lodge last week and going to Ostia tonight.
Taking advantage of al Fresco places while the weather is nice, because it won't last
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
CammoTX
Made reservations for Annabelle Brasserie. New restaurant that is part of the Berg empire.

Anyone been yet? Recommendations on what to order?
JusHappy2BeHere
Isn't the daughter of a regular poster here the Pastry Chef at Ostia?
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
JusHappy2BeHere said:

At one time.
bularry
CammoTX said:

Made reservations for Annabelle Brasserie. New restaurant that is part of the Berg empire.

I hate Berg's empire. Curious your thoughts
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

How was Ostia?
CammoTX
bularry said:

CammoTX said:

It's expensive for sure. That said NoPo is a great value, IMO. Ambiance at Turners is hard to beat.
bularry
CammoTX said:

bularry said:

CammoTX said:

It's expensive for sure. That said NoPo is a great value, IMO. Ambiance at Turners is hard to beat.
NoPo is his only concept I want to visit. Been to BB's, Sophia and no interest in returning to either of those.

JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

How was Ostia?
A little disappointing. Waiter forgot about us a couple of times. the gnocchi was good, but advertised as having scallops but they were the little Bay Scallops... Beef Tartar was good as was the Focaccia. My Branzino was huge but lacked flavor other than the crispy skin.
So all in all it wasn't bad... just not Special. We thought Rainbow Lodge was better, and that back patio there is absolutely stunning.

Mahatma Gandhi
JusHappy2BeHere
Has anyone tried Koya? Its in the space where Caswell had REEF.

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
Bummer, I've had some really good meals at Ostia and their potatoes are amazing. Plus good wine list. But one time my wife's fish wasn't done properly and something else I've had was very meh, so I think they do have an occasional miss.

bularry
never even heard of it
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

never even heard of it
https://www.koyahouston.com/

We used to love REEF before Harvey killed it, and my wife happened to drive by that corner the other day, and she saw this place was up and running.

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

never even heard of it
https://www.koyahouston.com/

We used to love REEF before Harvey killed it, and my wife happened to drive by that corner the other day, and she saw this place was up and running.
glad the space is occupied, REEF was a beautiful space. You know he's back in a kitchen, he's running Post Script's kitchen right now. Caswell has battled some demons, his issues and divorce killed REEF, tbh, but he's a good dude by all accounts and happy he's back in a restaurant.
bularry
Any Houston people interested in wine meet this Thursday? Got room for a couple of others.
CammoTX
Just made reservations at Katami. Anyone been? Recommendations?
bularry
CammoTX said:

Just made reservations at Katami. Anyone been? Recommendations?
on my list, let me know how it is!

We are trying Josephine's on Saturday night, be our first visit there.
CammoTX
Anyone been to the new La Griglia? Looks like they have a new menu to go along with the new location.
bularry
Need Katami report

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.