Houston area dining talk

67,242 Views | 866 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by bularry
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haven't made it. I just hear how expensive it is but great ambience from guy friends taking wives there for anniversary or such. Never heard people talking about the food. I'm sure it's good. I wasn't impressed with the Annie Cafe and Bar upstairs the last time I was there.
CTCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Isakaya Wa?
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes that's it! Is that one related to some of the others around town?
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
thanks!
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
40th Anniversary Monday Night. Many good restaurants are closed on Monday so we will be going out Sunday night. I've had some invasive oral surgery that is almost but not quite over, and can handle pretty much anything but steak or really crispy fried chicken. PBS has been our go to in the past, but that would be cruel to go there and not get the ribeye.... 1751 is closed on Sunday's and unfortunately Friday and Saturday are both taken up by work commitments and retirement party for a friend.

What would be your best seafood recommendations?
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretend you are in New Orleans. Spend a few hours having cocktails in courtyard at Brennan's then have an amazing 5 course meal inside the main dining room.
Happy anniversary!
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

40th Anniversary Monday Night. Many good restaurants are closed on Monday so we will be going out Sunday night. I've had some invasive oral surgery that is almost but not quite over, and can handle pretty much anything but steak or really crispy fried chicken. PBS has been our go to in the past, but that would be cruel to go there and not get the ribeye.... 1751 is closed on Sunday's and unfortunately Friday and Saturday are both taken up by work commitments and retirement party for a friend.

What would be your best seafood recommendations?
I would go sushi, so Uchi or Kata Robata for a nice meal.

Caracol is really nice but not strictly seafood. Loch Bar is popular (never been). Also Eunice is Louisiana style in a really cool space. maybe State of Grace
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

40th Anniversary Monday Night. Many good restaurants are closed on Monday so we will be going out Sunday night. I've had some invasive oral surgery that is almost but not quite over, and can handle pretty much anything but steak or really crispy fried chicken. PBS has been our go to in the past, but that would be cruel to go there and not get the ribeye.... 1751 is closed on Sunday's and unfortunately Friday and Saturday are both taken up by work commitments and retirement party for a friend.

What would be your best seafood recommendations?
I would go sushi, so Uchi or Kata Robata for a nice meal.

Caracol is really nice but not strictly seafood. Loch Bar is popular (never been). Also Eunice is Louisiana style in a really cool space. maybe State of Grace
I was looking at Eunice, Riel, and maybe Frank's American.... Brennan's is always a win, but we've been there.

Anyone been to Riel or Frank's?
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My parents love Franks. I've been a couple of times. Good stuff.
CTCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love Riel but never had seafood there
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CTCBear said:

Love Riel but never had seafood there
Riel not anniversary vibe place, IMO....

the Eunice dining room is a really cool place
CTCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agree with the vibe. Also, Eunice dining room is amazing and actually really enjoy their food/drinks
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eunice sounds like a winner! Thanks for your expert advice
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

Haven't made it. I just hear how expensive it is but great ambience from guy friends taking wives there for anniversary or such. Never heard people talking about the food. I'm sure it's good. I wasn't impressed with the Annie Cafe and Bar upstairs the last time I was there.
We decided to bail on Turner's. I am taking 6 adults so got a bit concerned over what I was going to spend.

I think we are going to do One Fifth Red Sauce. Should be a more jovial atmosphere.


FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pls report on 1/5 red sauce. I haven't been since it was seafood( can't recall what they called it).
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

WILLIS said:

Haven't made it. I just hear how expensive it is but great ambience from guy friends taking wives there for anniversary or such. Never heard people talking about the food. I'm sure it's good. I wasn't impressed with the Annie Cafe and Bar upstairs the last time I was there.
We decided to bail on Turner's. I am taking 6 adults so got a bit concerned over what I was going to spend.

I think we are going to do One Fifth Red Sauce. Should be a more jovial atmosphere.





It's suppose to tune over to one fifth Georgia James soon.
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

My parents love Franks. I've been a couple of times. Good stuff.


Best carrot cake I have ever had. What a great place.
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's a place where the average age is 50+. Reminds me of the crowd at Federal American in Hedwig Village in the evening. Just really solid food and service. The folks going there know it's good and aren't worried about it being some new yuppie trendy spot.
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
@bularry did you see that Sugar Land now has a Mala Sichuan Bistro?
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

@bularry did you see that Sugar Land now has a Mala Sichuan Bistro?
yes, I've eaten there many, many times... it's very good and very near to my home so convenient.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

It's a place where the average age is 50+. Reminds me of the crowd at Federal American in Hedwig Village in the evening. Just really solid food and service. The folks going there know it's good and aren't worried about it being some new yuppie trendy spot.
I'm 52 and I was a young one there, for sure!
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FranchiseBear said:

Pls report on 1/5 red sauce. I haven't been since it was seafood( can't recall what they called it).
well, not going to happen. I screwed up resy some how. Going to Da Marco instead it looks like.
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

@bularry did you see that Sugar Land now has a Mala Sichuan Bistro?
yes, I've eaten there many, many times... it's very good and very near to my home so convenient.
Since I stopped working in Katy, I rarely go that far into Sugar Land. Had to go to Floor and Decor for the new shower tile, last part of the entire house remodel, and I saw it across Hwy 6.... I didn't even know they'd opened there till this week. Ate there last night and it was awesome. Pork Chow Men, Chicken Chow Mein, Four Joy Lion Head, and Crispy Spicy Chicken.... everything was great.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Next week we do our annual Christmas in Houston trip. Christmas bars and dinner. We have Miracle at Johnny's Goldbrick and Squable. Miracle at Winnie's and then Toasted Coconut. Sippin Santa @ Night Shift and Nancy's Hustle.

We will hit some brunch spots and Lei Lo for sure. I'll post some pics and food and drink reports.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoBearsGo said:

Next week we do our annual Christmas in Houston trip. Christmas bars and dinner. We have Miracle at Johnny's Goldbrick and Squable. Miracle at Winnie's and then Toasted Coconut. Sippin Santa @ Night Shift and Nancy's Hustle.

We will hit some brunch spots and Lei Lo for sure. I'll post some pics and food and drink reports.
went to Winnie a couple of weeks ago. Hype is real. Loved the food and cocktails.
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eunice was awesome. Loved the space, and the wait staff were all great.

We ordered about 8 different things off of the Raw Bar, Small Plates, and Greens and Gumbo menus. We did not get any entrees.

They gave each a glass of complimentary champagne, which was nice

The Yellowfin Tuna was spectacular....best I've had in a long time. We really enjoyed the Hearth Roasted Oysters, and the Fried Bandera Quail... especially that tabasco honey. Also loved the Gumbo and the Brussel Sprouts.

Our least favorite was the Duck Poppers, and they weren't bad.

For dessert I had an Irish Coffee, and we decided to share a bread pudding, but he showed up with Bread Pudding, Creole Cheesecake, and Double Chocolate Cake, and a note hand written in Calligraphy by the Hostess that said, "Thanks for staying married the last 40 years, Dessert is on us, your kids.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that's great! Glad the food was good. How was the people watching?
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

that's great! Glad the food was good. How was the people watching?
Awesome.... some really interesting folks. at least 2 other anniversaries
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
CizzLark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there a recommended Baylor bar in Houston to watch Sugar Bowl and basketball games?
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had lunch at Post today. New food hall downtown. Really great. Had something from Chop n Block, I think Nigerian food. Real nice chicken curry. And also a Korean Lasagna which was tasty. Great rooftop garden.

Last night we had dinner at Toasted Coconut which was great. Drinks are always on point.

We then hit Miracle at Winnie's. Christmas theme takeover. Super fun. Great drinks. We had a Christmas platter of snacks. Sandwiches looked great but that's for next time.



CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Food any good at Toasted Coconut?
CTCBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everything I've had has been great
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CammoTX said:

Food any good at Toasted Coconut?


It's great. We had pork dumplings, fried cauliflower, lamb flatbread. All great. We've also had their burgers and some brunch dishes. Same owner as Nobies so same chef driven food.
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last night we hit Miracle at Johnny's Goldbrick for drinks, the same drinks as Miracle at Winnie's. We are suckers for Christmas pop ups so we loved it.

Then to Squable and really enjoyed that meal as always. It's was our friends first time and they loved it. We got several small plates, the lemon and pepper pasta, short rib and the burger. We had the dessert bread and some port to end it.


bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like a great time!


Had my first ever visit to Da Marco, old school Houston. Gotta say, food was really, really good. Very happy with it.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.