Houston area dining talk

66,856 Views | 864 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by GoBearsGo
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whoah....glad to hear you are cancer free! You were meant to be around longer. God and miracles never cease to amaze.
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Alison Cook put out her top 100. Golfstrommen, March, Trex, Pondicheri, and Hamsa are 1-5.

Thoughts on the top 100? Top 25?

Brett's BBQ is at 12 and Truth at 19.
I think a lot of it is questionable. Hamsa at 5? that's a big reach. I don't remember my other gripes with top 25 off the top of my head, I'll have to go look. Not having Rosie in top 25 I think is a massive oversite but probably done on purpose since March is #2.


I haven't been to brett's, but supposedly really good, so this seems in line with that. I was glad to see little Montrose place 93 Til on the list, it is a nice casual bistro.


EDIT: went and looked - my main gripe is having places like Koffeteria in the top 25. Cochinita? give me a break. Cafe Louie.. I"m sure the food is good but it just opened. It is some counter spot.

I live by Kau Ba... it isn't a top 10 restaurant.

I have limited experience but found TRIS to be vastly overrated, I think this ranking is just a nod to all the rich people in the Woodlands.
It's like putting Fluff Bake bar on there. Koffeteria is a coffee shop/bakery/cafe.

I think it's similar to Top 50 BBQ list. They want to make sure they have every region represented, types etc. I have never been to Hamsa but I am eager to try.
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Alison Cook put out her top 100. Golfstrommen, March, Trex, Pondicheri, and Hamsa are 1-5.

Thoughts on the top 100? Top 25?

Brett's BBQ is at 12 and Truth at 19.
I think a lot of it is questionable. Hamsa at 5? that's a big reach. I don't remember my other gripes with top 25 off the top of my head, I'll have to go look. Not having Rosie in top 25 I think is a massive oversite but probably done on purpose since March is #2.


I haven't been to brett's, but supposedly really good, so this seems in line with that. I was glad to see little Montrose place 93 Til on the list, it is a nice casual bistro.


EDIT: went and looked - my main gripe is having places like Koffeteria in the top 25. Cochinita? give me a break. Cafe Louie.. I"m sure the food is good but it just opened. It is some counter spot.

I live by Kau Ba... it isn't a top 10 restaurant.

I have limited experience but found TRIS to be vastly overrated, I think this ranking is just a nod to all the rich people in the Woodlands.
It's like putting Fluff Bake bar on there. Koffeteria is a coffee shop/bakery/cafe.

I think it's similar to Top 50 BBQ list. They want to make sure they have every region represented, types etc. I have never been to Hamsa but I am eager to try.

I listened to much of the Twitter discussion the HC food people did, and this is true. They made a conscious effort to celebrate Houston's diversity of cuisine. Cook said Houston has so many Italian places that they limited how many they would include, and the same for Steakhouses. She said that she included more BBQ than Steak because BBQ is blowing up in Htown. They also didn't want it to be just Fine Dinning.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Alison Cook put out her top 100. Golfstrommen, March, Trex, Pondicheri, and Hamsa are 1-5.

Thoughts on the top 100? Top 25?

Brett's BBQ is at 12 and Truth at 19.
I think a lot of it is questionable. Hamsa at 5? that's a big reach. I don't remember my other gripes with top 25 off the top of my head, I'll have to go look. Not having Rosie in top 25 I think is a massive oversite but probably done on purpose since March is #2.


I haven't been to brett's, but supposedly really good, so this seems in line with that. I was glad to see little Montrose place 93 Til on the list, it is a nice casual bistro.


EDIT: went and looked - my main gripe is having places like Koffeteria in the top 25. Cochinita? give me a break. Cafe Louie.. I"m sure the food is good but it just opened. It is some counter spot.

I live by Kau Ba... it isn't a top 10 restaurant.

I have limited experience but found TRIS to be vastly overrated, I think this ranking is just a nod to all the rich people in the Woodlands.
It's like putting Fluff Bake bar on there. Koffeteria is a coffee shop/bakery/cafe.

I think it's similar to Top 50 BBQ list. They want to make sure they have every region represented, types etc. I have never been to Hamsa but I am eager to try.

I listened to much of the Twitter discussion the HC food people did, and this is true. They made a conscious effort to celebrate Houston's diversity of cuisine. Cook said Houston has so many Italian places that they limited how many they would include, and the same for Steakhouses. She said that she included more BBQ than Steak because BBQ is blowing up in Htown. They also didn't want it to be just Fine Dinning.


I understand that. And in a sense agree with their methodology to cast a wide net. Great for some of these small places to get this exposure.

But you can't compare some place, like Tatemo, which I really liked, that serves maybe 20 people 3 nights a week, to a kitchen open 6 days a week serving several times that number. Tatemo doesn't even have a wine list. (it is BYOB, which I liked, because I brought awesome wines,) but it shows a hole in the enterprise and the work they have to do.

I guess my appreciation for the hospitality business has grown and to see places on these types of lists that barely put their foot in the true hospitality water makes me feel bad for the places that really put a lot of thought into the entire dining experience.

should call it Top 100 kitchens or some such...

GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How Tiny Champs and Toasted Coconut didn't make it I don't know.
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a fan of curating lists that had to include x number of taco truck, hole in walls, etc (that have incredibly delicious dishes or offerings we all love) next to places like pappas or a Rosie's. It's totally apples and oranges.
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

Not a fan of curating lists that had to include x number of taco truck, hole in walls, etc (that have incredibly delicious dishes or offerings we all love) next to places like pappas or a Rosie's. It's totally apples and oranges.
Yep. To me I want a list of the Top 100 places to eat, that's it.

You can make other lists of top food trucks, or whatever things you like. I guess kind of like Eater does.
br53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to Aiko last night for sushi. It's Bring your own bottle for liquor and wine. Food was unbelievable, service was excellent. Had a great time will definitely be back and will try their other two restaurants: Handies Douzo and Kokoro.
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wedding anniversary is in a few weeks. Wife wants to try Bludorn. The menu is just not jumping out at me. Is it a great experience?

Any other rec's of fairly new'ish places? How about one of the newer steak places? Doris? Thanks in advance.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have heard Bludorn is great. Not the most adventurous menu, that's true, but service and execution supposedly top notch. I haven't been, so this is all word of mouth.


I like Doris a lot. Gatsby's Prime might be a good anniversary type place. Or eat at La Colombe nearby...
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last weekend, October 22, I went to the SouthernSmoke Festival on Sunday.

That was a lot of fun, highly recommend. Had some great food, a lot of cheap wine, got to speak with Tom Colicchio, saw Chris Bianco and had his pizza, chatted with Aaron Bludorn, Aaron Franklin served me brisket, etc.

Really a good time.
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that sounds very cool!
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bear8084 said:

Whoah....glad to hear you are cancer free! You were meant to be around longer. God and miracles never cease to amaze.
I'm hitting a bunch of restaurants in the next month. 12/5, they are removing my stomach.... Total Gastrectomy... It's the only way to be sure this very aggressive cancer doesn't come back.

But I'll be thin and hot again... or at least thin.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Bear8084 said:

Whoah....glad to hear you are cancer free! You were meant to be around longer. God and miracles never cease to amaze.
I'm hitting a bunch of restaurants in the next month. 12/5, they are removing my stomach.... Total Gastrectomy... It's the only way to be sure this very aggressive cancer doesn't come back.

But I'll be thin and hot again... or at least thin.
my tiny bit of knowledge says your eating/digesting will eventually be back to normal after a year or two... hope that is the case, I'm sure it will be a tough transition for a good while. God speed and I'll be thinking of you and lifting you up
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FranchiseBear said:

Wedding anniversary is in a few weeks. Wife wants to try Bludorn. The menu is just not jumping out at me. Is it a great experience?

Any other rec's of fairly new'ish places? How about one of the newer steak places? Doris? Thanks in advance.
I love Bludorn. Menu is well executed, and it is a real show. Great service and wine list. My wife does not like it as much as I do.

GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Bear8084 said:

Whoah....glad to hear you are cancer free! You were meant to be around longer. God and miracles never cease to amaze.
I'm hitting a bunch of restaurants in the next month. 12/5, they are removing my stomach.... Total Gastrectomy... It's the only way to be sure this very aggressive cancer doesn't come back.

But I'll be thin and hot again... or at least thin.
So how will that work? Will it be liquid only going forward? Small meals?
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to the il bracco where the old California pizza kitchen was a couple weeks ago. Great meal.

Went to bludorn last night. Definitely a one and done for us. Food was very good, service good, executed so well, etc like people say. But F it's so expensive. Even the $7 valet asked if I wanted to leave a tip. Unreal.
br53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to Kokoro last night for Sushi. Unbelievable experience, food and service. Just as good as the sister restaurant Aiko. Now if I can just get a reservation at Handies, we can complete the trifecta of these Sushi/Roll family tree.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
br53 said:

Went to Kokoro last night for Sushi. Unbelievable experience, food and service. Just as good as the sister restaurant Aiko. Now if I can just get a reservation at Handies, we can complete the trifecta of these Sushi/Roll family tree.
need to check those out...
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

Went to the il bracco where the old California pizza kitchen was a couple weeks ago. Great meal.

Went to bludorn last night. Definitely a one and done for us. Food was very good, service good, executed so well, etc like people say. But F it's so expensive. Even the $7 valet asked if I wanted to leave a tip. Unreal.
Bludorn is that pricey? I have been meaning to go but just haven't found the time when we were looking for a "nicer" meal. Now I'm a bit nervous to go.
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

WILLIS said:

Went to the il bracco where the old California pizza kitchen was a couple weeks ago. Great meal.

Went to bludorn last night. Definitely a one and done for us. Food was very good, service good, executed so well, etc like people say. But F it's so expensive. Even the $7 valet asked if I wanted to leave a tip. Unreal.
Bludorn is that pricey? I have been meaning to go but just haven't found the time when we were looking for a "nicer" meal. Now I'm a bit nervous to go.


Sarcasm? It is stupid expensive.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WILLIS said:

bularry said:

WILLIS said:

Went to the il bracco where the old California pizza kitchen was a couple weeks ago. Great meal.

Went to bludorn last night. Definitely a one and done for us. Food was very good, service good, executed so well, etc like people say. But F it's so expensive. Even the $7 valet asked if I wanted to leave a tip. Unreal.
Bludorn is that pricey? I have been meaning to go but just haven't found the time when we were looking for a "nicer" meal. Now I'm a bit nervous to go.


Sarcasm? It is stupid expensive.
thanks... I'll save it for a special occasion
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Bear8084 said:

Whoah....glad to hear you are cancer free! You were meant to be around longer. God and miracles never cease to amaze.
I'm hitting a bunch of restaurants in the next month. 12/5, they are removing my stomach.... Total Gastrectomy... It's the only way to be sure this very aggressive cancer doesn't come back.

But I'll be thin and hot again... or at least thin.
fill us in on where you are going.
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
3 dinners in December. staying in the heights but will Uber wherever we go.

Squable
Nancy's Hustle
Nobie's

It will be our first time at Nobie's. Anything new and exciting you would switch. The night we are eating at Squable we are doing Miracle at Johnny's Goldbrick for Christmas drinks, so it needs to be in the Heights.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.