Football
Sponsored by

Oregon plan B Austin Novosad

36,906 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by boognish_bear
MarcelloSwisher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What does Shawn Bell do exactly? Can't develop QBs, can't hang onto QB talent on the roster, can't hang onto talent that's been committed for over a year. I hate to say it but it's starting to feel more and more like he's just got a job because he used to play here.
PartyBear
Hell we have run off QBs who did play here. Nothing special about one who used to.
boognish_bear
So...we agreed to not recruit a QB so Novosad wouldn't have to worry about completion here.

Then a few hours before midnight before signing day he flips to a school that has an established starter for next year and also has a 4* QB recruit from last year waiting in the wings....Ty Thompson. That makes sense.
boognish_bear
Welp

PartyBear
The portal. It is essential.
boognish_bear

DanaDane
You just don't sign a true frosh QB this year. Go ahead and go for a starter-type out of the transfer portal, or one who was a starter-type redshirt this year and has multiple years of eligibility left.
RobinsonBear06
Fire Shawn Bell!
boognish_bear
PartyBear
Yes and go out and get a QB whisperer.
MarcelloSwisher
Need to make a call and grab Bo Edmundson right now! I know he's not the first choice but he'll stop the bleeding for now. Wouldn't be the first time we took a chance on a under recruited Lake Travis QB and the last one worked out for us I'd say.
davesburgerbarn
Offer coach Prime the HC next season!?!
PartyBear
Aranda does have to realize that his offensive staff. Bell in particular has now threatened his tenure here potentially.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Aranda does have to realize that his offensive staff. Bell in particular has now threatened his tenure here potentially.
Why is everyone blaming everyone but Aranda? He's the one that just coached this team to a 6-6 campaign off a championship season and is about to go two full years without a high school quarterback signee.

And our defense was far worse statistically than our offense this season. That's the one side of the ball we shouldn't have to worry about with a defensive guru head coach.
DanaDane
The aspect not being discussed is that Novosad was one of our biggest recruiters for this class. It will be interesting to see if there is any domino effect tomorrow.
boognish_bear
We don't have the facts yet....but if Oregon came in and money whipped Novosad and BU couldn't keep up can we really blame him walking on Bell. Given that he's walking into a much more competitive QB room at Oregon I have to imagine money was involved.

I think there are other issues happening around our QBs that should raise some red flags about Bell...but not sure we can put Novosad walking on him.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

We don't have the facts yet....but if Oregon came in and money whipped Novosad and BU couldn't keep up can we really blame him walking on Bell. Given that he's walking into a much more competitive QB room at Oregon I have to imagine money was involved.

I think there are other issues happening around our QBs that should raise some red flags about Bell...but not sure we can put Novosad walking on him.
It starts at the top with Aranda and Grimes. Those two created this instability the second they sent Bohanon packing for a guy who was objectively worse.
DanaDane
He turned down money from Ohio St and A&M. I don't think money was the only thing involved.
boognish_bear
DanaDane said:

The aspect not being discussed is that Novosad was one of our biggest recruiters for this class. It will be interesting to see if there is any domino effect tomorrow.

Yep....that scares me too. I sure didn't think we would be where we are right now when last season ended.
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

Why is everyone blaming everyone but Aranda? He's the one that just coached this team to a 6-6 campaign off a championship season and is about to go two full years with a high school quarterback signee.

And our defense was far worse statistically than our offense this season. That's the one side of the ball we shouldn't have to worry about with a defensive guru head coach.

Dude you need to give up the Bell apologist crap. Of course Aranda is responsible. That is why he needs to cut the staff that is crashing his tenure. If he doesn't he has to go.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

Why is everyone blaming everyone but Aranda? He's the one that just coached this team to a 6-6 campaign off a championship season and is about to go two full years with a high school quarterback signee.

Dude you need to give up the Bell apologist crap. Of course Aranda is responsible. That is why he needs to cut the staff that is crashing his tenure. If he doesn't he has to go.
All Aranda has done in three years is cut staff ... that he hired or retained. You're putting a lot of faith in a guy that apparently can't build a staff.
boognish_bear
Well....Aranda just got rid of his mentor Roberts. If he needs to let Bell go I don't think he will hesitate.
PartyBear
Look you have wanted Aranda fired going all the way back to his first games here in season 1. I just said Aranda needs to go if he doesn't get rid of dead weight on his staff and get great replacements.
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

Well....Aranda just got rid of his mentor Roberts. If he needs to let Bell go I don't think he will hesitate.

Agree.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

All Aranda has done in three years is cut staff ... that he hired or retained. You're putting a lot of faith in a guy that apparently can't build a staff.

You're right on one thing, Aranda is clearly not good at hiring staff because Bell has been an embarrassment as a QB coach. And the position has been beyond mis managed which falls on Bell then Grimes then Aranda. It's the expectation Aranda holds people responsible until he proves he's not responsible. And let's be Frank we didn't win a big 12 championship or Sugar Bowl on the back of that awful offense in 2021.

The real discussion is if Aranda has a losing season next year, what point do we admit Rohdes has to go first, because just like Aranda he's made a lot of miserable hires.
boognish_bear
Sucks that it feels like Tech already has more forward momentum than we do now.
LIB,MR BEARS
boognish_bear said:

Sucks that it feels like Tech already has more forward momentum than we do now.
delete the clause "it feels like"
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Look you have wanted Aranda fired going all the way back to his first games here in season 1. I just said Aranda needs to go if he doesn't get rid of dead weight on his staff and get great replacements.
This is nonsense. I've never said Aranda should be fired. I'm for giving all head coaches four years, unless they're Kevin Steele level disasters. I'm just seeing massive cracks in the foundation and have less faith than you do in a first-time head coach to repair them.
BU82EX
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

It starts at the top with Aranda and Grimes. Those two created this instability the second they sent Bohanon packing for a guy who was objectively worse.
Personally I think it starts and stops with Phil Knight!
IvanBear
BU82EX said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Personally I think it starts and stops with Phil Knight!

That too is Bell then Grimes then Aranda's fault because, we will not have QB recruit for 2 years straight. Kids flipping is part of the game, saying it's not the fault of the Baylor staff that because got out bid means they shouldn't be held accountable for anything that happens in recruiting.
PartyBear
We don't have a QB recruit because we reportedly didn't recruit one other than Novosad in order to keep him happy. Then he screwed us here at the last second and left us empty handed if this is all true. And he screwed us because Bell put us into this position of getting screwed royally and left in this situation. It was a gamble that back fired badly and Bell needs to go due to this mismanagement if all of this chatter about Novosad flipping turns out to be true.
ABC BEAR
Sleep on it young man and let your conscience be your guide.
Dia del DougO
MarcelloSwisher said:

What does Shawn Bell do exactly? Can't develop QBs, can't hang onto QB talent on the roster, can't hang onto talent that's been committed for over a year. I hate to say it but it's starting to feel more and more like he's just got a job because he used to play here.
What happened to the great offensive genius Grimes? He's supposed to make qbs look good with his offense and brilliant play calling. Doesn't Grimes communicate with the qb to get him ready? Did Bell run the offense? Did Bell scheme against the opponents D? Did Bell call the plays? Did Bell insist on never playing Drones at all when Shapen had the yips on a regular basis?

If Bell needs to go, the rest of the offensive staff needs to go.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
bear2be2
Dia del DougO said:

MarcelloSwisher said:

What happened to the great offensive genius Grimes? He's supposed to make qbs look good with his offense and brilliant play calling. Doesn't Grimes communicate with the qb to get him ready? Did Bell run the offense? Did Bell scheme against the opponents D? Did Bell call the plays? Did Bell insist on never playing Drones at all when Shapen had the yips on a regular basis?

If Bell needs to go, the rest of the offensive staff needs to go.

The bigger question is, did Bell go all-in on Blake Shapen, all but guaranteeing that Gerry Bohanon and Kyron Drones would transfer? Decisions have consequences, and that decision was made above the quarterback coach's head.
Dia del DougO
And the recruiting staff that never had a plan B needs to go along with it.

Baylor **** the bed yet again. What a year.

But at least it will be amusing when we pick up somebody's reject and the pumpers proclaim they really like him better anyway.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.