Football
Sponsored by

Bring Back Briles

39,586 Views | 400 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by ImABearToo
Chuckroast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Killing Floor said:

Penn State.

If you want to see how a prominent institution manages an atrocity just look at Penn State.

Yet just a few years later, they hire a coach from Vanderbilt who left Vandy on the heels of a gang rape situation that was all over the news because it was videotaped. Vanderbilt and Penn State had the good sense not to blame the coach for what happened.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

Killing Floor said:

Penn State.

If you want to see how a prominent institution manages an atrocity just look at Penn State.

Yet just a few years later, they hire a coach from Vanderbilt who left Vandy on the heels of a gang rape situation that was all over the news because it was videotaped. Vanderbilt and Penn State had the good sense not to blame the coach for what happened.
Let's not talk about Penn State and good sense. They gave a literal pedophile unfettered access to their program for decades and employed a head coach who protected him into his 80s.
Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Killing Floor said:

Penn State.

Let's not talk about Penn State and good sense. They gave a literal pedophile unfettered access to their program for decades and employed a head coach who protected him into his 80s.

I'm not trying to defend Penn State and the way they handled the Paterno situation. I thought it was really ironic that they hired Franklin given their recent past. They had the guts though to go after a good coach at a really sensitive juncture at Vanderbilt because, like Vanderbilt, they didn't blame the coach.
BUAL
Right, get a coach back who only cares about offense, could not organize a defense, could not get any defender to turn his head to look for the ball, blew a big lead in the Cotton Bowl, did an awful job prepping guys for the NFL and ignored a scandal that involved sexual assault. That definitely seems like the right call.
Harrison Bergeron
Despite how many pages you slap dick flegs give each other hand jobs and trainey sex, the answer continues to be YES.
Married A Horn
BUAL said:

Right, get a coach back who only cares about offense, could not organize a defense, could not get any defender to turn his head to look for the ball, blew a big lead in the Cotton Bowl, did an awful job prepping guys for the NFL and ignored a scandal that involved sexual assault. That definitely seems like the right call.

My bad. You're right. 1-11 or 2-10 are so much better. What were we thinking?
Guitarbiscuit
So you evidently prefer records of 3-9 with empty stadiums. Awesome.
morethanhecouldbear
Married A Horn said:

Ghostrider said:

cms186 said:

ScottS said:

jikespingleton said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Seriously disgusting that after everything we, as a fanbase, have been through because of Briles, some people would still welcome him back with open arms because they think it might win us a few more games of Football

Briles didnt care about what his players were doing, he had a duty of care that he just completely disregarded, but lets set aside his repugnant morals and his lip service to Christianity (some of you have done that anyway) and look at it from a purely Football point of view:

His Offence might have been cutting edge at the time, but Football has moved on and lets not forget, whilst his brand of Football was certainly exciting, in arguably the 2 biggest games of his tenure (the Cotton Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl) Briles chunked it through bad preparation and game management. Briles has been out of College Football for nearly 10 years and will be severely out of touch with the game, many coaching staff he might want to hire wont want to work with him and many players he might want to recruit wont want to come play for him because of his richly deserved reputation of being a morally bankrupt *******.

So yeah, stfu about Briles coming back here because even the most ardent Briles fanboi knows with 100% certainty that it will NEVER, EVER happen and nor should it. Utterly disgusted that fans of a supposedly Christian school would even contemplate wanting someone as morally bankrupt as him ever associated with the University again.

What exactly is truth and what is scapegoat? I need someone that was here to fill me in. From the outside it looked like it was an institutional issue, not just football. I really do not have a good enough grasp to pass judgement.
it was institutional, Baylor as a University was rotten, Briles was just a part of that, he wasnt the sole architect of it, it wasnt just the Football team, but the Football team and Briles were a significant part of it.

There was 1 conviction. That's it. And the person with the conviction wasn't named Briles. You like you act like Briles raped 100 women.

We had 3 players formally accused of rape:
- There was 1 rape conviction (That scumbag Elliot).
- 1 sexual assault conviction (Ukwuachu).
- A third player, Oakman was accused of rape but not convicted.

Before anyone replies that Ukwuachu's case was overturned - The final outcome was conviction of sexual assault.

Having 3 players accused of rape is cause enough for termination, whether they were convicted or not. I'm not saying that Briles hid any of that and I don't think he did. Unfortunately, he and dishonest abe lincoln did try to cover up a lot of other things, including assault, battery, brandishing a firearm against a student and so forth.

If Briles had set expectations for behavior and followed through with penalties aka consequence, we would have probably seen a good 7-10 additional players get kicked off of his teams over the years and Briles would have not been terminated. Briles was unable to do that and the school used his overall lack of discipline as a means to can him.

The problem here is that accusations can be FALSE. Look at what happened to Oakman. How is it Briles fault that players are getting falsely accused??
it was not Briles job to play Judge and Jury, it was his job to pass any reportsd of abuse top the relevent authorities, which he rarely did
no it wasn't his job. He advised anyone to go to the authorities. He is a football coach, not the police.

Also, who goes to a football coach if they were molested or anything? Who doesn't go to the police?

This is the biggest red flag to me.
Its crazy to get raped and then run to your local football coach for help.
An alleged victim could have gone to Briles, or it could have been the BOR planting an untrue story.

We don't get to the end result (briles terminated) without a combination of Briles not running a clean ship and the idiots in the BOR.
montypython
Married A Horn said:

BUAL said:

If the only choices are between going 2-10, or winning more games but having our schools name tainted for decades - I'm going with 2-10.
Married A Horn
montypython said:

Married A Horn said:

BUAL said:

If the only choices are between going 2-10, or winning more games but having our schools name tainted for decades - I'm going with 2-10.

Im going with 10-2, correct the mistakes / get help on your weaknesses / Forgiveness.
FLBear5630
montypython said:

Married A Horn said:

BUAL said:

Do we have to go 2-10?

Maybe put in some safeguards, work with the affecting parties to show oversight and move forward. Do we have to lose to make this right?
Ghostrider
morethanhecouldbear said:

Married A Horn said:

Ghostrider said:

cms186 said:

ScottS said:

jikespingleton said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Seriously disgusting that after everything we, as a fanbase, have been through because of Briles, some people would still welcome him back with open arms because they think it might win us a few more games of Football

Briles didnt care about what his players were doing, he had a duty of care that he just completely disregarded, but lets set aside his repugnant morals and his lip service to Christianity (some of you have done that anyway) and look at it from a purely Football point of view:

His Offence might have been cutting edge at the time, but Football has moved on and lets not forget, whilst his brand of Football was certainly exciting, in arguably the 2 biggest games of his tenure (the Cotton Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl) Briles chunked it through bad preparation and game management. Briles has been out of College Football for nearly 10 years and will be severely out of touch with the game, many coaching staff he might want to hire wont want to work with him and many players he might want to recruit wont want to come play for him because of his richly deserved reputation of being a morally bankrupt *******.

So yeah, stfu about Briles coming back here because even the most ardent Briles fanboi knows with 100% certainty that it will NEVER, EVER happen and nor should it. Utterly disgusted that fans of a supposedly Christian school would even contemplate wanting someone as morally bankrupt as him ever associated with the University again.

What exactly is truth and what is scapegoat? I need someone that was here to fill me in. From the outside it looked like it was an institutional issue, not just football. I really do not have a good enough grasp to pass judgement.
it was institutional, Baylor as a University was rotten, Briles was just a part of that, he wasnt the sole architect of it, it wasnt just the Football team, but the Football team and Briles were a significant part of it.

There was 1 conviction. That's it. And the person with the conviction wasn't named Briles. You like you act like Briles raped 100 women.

We had 3 players formally accused of rape:
- There was 1 rape conviction (That scumbag Elliot).
- 1 sexual assault conviction (Ukwuachu).
- A third player, Oakman was accused of rape but not convicted.

Before anyone replies that Ukwuachu's case was overturned - The final outcome was conviction of sexual assault.

Having 3 players accused of rape is cause enough for termination, whether they were convicted or not. I'm not saying that Briles hid any of that and I don't think he did. Unfortunately, he and dishonest abe lincoln did try to cover up a lot of other things, including assault, battery, brandishing a firearm against a student and so forth.

If Briles had set expectations for behavior and followed through with penalties aka consequence, we would have probably seen a good 7-10 additional players get kicked off of his teams over the years and Briles would have not been terminated. Briles was unable to do that and the school used his overall lack of discipline as a means to can him.

The problem here is that accusations can be FALSE. Look at what happened to Oakman. How is it Briles fault that players are getting falsely accused??
it was not Briles job to play Judge and Jury, it was his job to pass any reportsd of abuse top the relevent authorities, which he rarely did
no it wasn't his job. He advised anyone to go to the authorities. He is a football coach, not the police.

Also, who goes to a football coach if they were molested or anything? Who doesn't go to the police?

This is the biggest red flag to me.
Its crazy to get raped and then run to your local football coach for help.
An alleged victim could have gone to Briles, or it could have been the BOR planting an untrue story.

We don't get to the end result (briles terminated) without a combination of Briles not running a clean ship and the idiots in the BOR.
agreed on Briles should have handled it better. I don't think advising to go to the police warrants him to be fired or for Baylor to pay him out $18mm. Baylor allowed the media to control the narrative and once the media made a certain narrative, it was game over.
Ghostrider
montypython said:

Married A Horn said:

BUAL said:

i am hearing more negative things about Baylor right now than i ever heard during the bor mess up in 2016
montypython
Married A Horn said:

montypython said:

Married A Horn said:

BUAL said:

Im going with 10-2, correct the mistakes / get help on your weaknesses / Forgiveness.
I see you are still in never never land.

Say hi to michael jackson for me.
Married A Horn
montypython said:

Married A Horn said:

montypython said:

Married A Horn said:

BUAL said:

I see you are going to never never land.

Say hi to michael jackson for me.

Wasnt it on page 2 of this thread where you said you were going to leave it? Stop acting like you can quit me.
Cove Dawg
jikespingleton said:

Married A Horn said:

Eball said:

What about other sexual assaults non-athletes who gets fired for bringing them to campus?

They didnt contribute to beating ut on the football field...so double standard away.
This is one of those ignorant takes that makes it's way back to the surface once in a while.

Beating ut and ou has nothing to do with the end result of the Briles era.

It was the lack of accountability within the administration as a whole, as well as that of Briles when he ran this program.

Oh, really? Where did the entire fake narrative originate? Who were the sources?

If you actually do some real research and answer these questions you will have your answer.
montypython
Ghostrider said:

montypython said:

Married A Horn said:

BUAL said:

i am hearing more negative things about Baylor right now than i ever heard during the bor mess up in 2016
Post less.
jikespingleton
Cove Dawg said:

jikespingleton said:

Married A Horn said:

Eball said:

What about other sexual assaults non-athletes who gets fired for bringing them to campus?

They didnt contribute to beating ut on the football field...so double standard away.
This is one of those ignorant takes that makes it's way back to the surface once in a while.

Beating ut and ou has nothing to do with the end result of the Briles era.

It was the lack of accountability within the administration as a whole, as well as that of Briles when he ran this program.

Oh, really? Where did the entire fake narrative originate? Who were the sources?

If you actually do some real research and answer these questions you will have your answer.
Yes, really.

Are you seriously unaware of the litany of problems that occurred during the Briles era?
Married A Horn
We're aware man. We're also aware of the litany of problems at other programs who dont sacrifice their head coaches and programs.
57Bear
Married A Horn said:

We're aware man. We're also aware of the litany of problems at other programs who dont sacrifice their head coaches and programs.
We're also aware of the litany of problems with the Baylor Board of Regents at that time.
jikespingleton
Married A Horn said:

If Briles ran a tighter ship he wouldn't have been sacrificed.

Married A Horn
jikespingleton said:

Married A Horn said:

Or coached ANYWHERE else.
Ghostrider
Married A Horn said:

jikespingleton said:

Married A Horn said:

Or coached ANYWHERE else.
other tried to hire him, but cancel culture…..
Mothballs
BUAL said:

I'll take that over what we have now!
Bear3
Stupid Thread!!! Briles is not coming back and every poster knows this!!!
BUAL
Let's get Ian back, you know the whole gang. Sounds like a good way to absolutely ensure the last few non-Baylor sports fans, media types and the general public hates us. It brings back are long lost RAPE U brand, which I was starting to miss. Good thinking.

Does anybody have Russel Brand's number? He could help open the Tiny this year. Good ideas all around.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Here's what I don't understand: most of the outrage against Briles was from liberals/democrats if we're being honest. But if Briles was a devil because he let "bad dudes" in the team and it led to harm of the student body, why do these same liberals, then, year after year support democrat politicians who release known violent criminals back into the public over and over again, only to see them repeat their violence against citizens? Or democrat politicians who "look the other way" at an open border, or even outright support an open border policy which has brought in violent criminals that have victimized our citizens, even involving the trafficking, assault, and rape of women? Why aren't these politicians, judges, DA's, etc. being made into pariahs and forced out of their jobs without any hope of getting another job in public office again, just like they did with Art? It's pure hypocrisy.
ImABearToo
BINGO!!!
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Married A Horn
Votes
BusyTarpDuster2017
Married A Horn said:

Votes
Exactly. They'll look the other way as long as their "team" wins. Pure hypocrisy!
Ghostrider
Bear3 said:

Stupid Thread!!! Briles is not coming back and every poster knows this!!!
agreed. We couldn't afford him.
bradobandz
Someone take gramps to bed, move on from Briles already. We need a real coach, like Hue Jackson
Married A Horn
All these premium members crossing over to tell us what we need. Thanks guys. What would we do without yall?
Guitarbiscuit
Their unsolicited advice to remain calm in the midst of constant mediocrity is comforting.
bradobandz
Married A Horn said:

All these premium members crossing over to tell us what we need. Thanks guys. What would we do without yall?
Hey, I got this premium for free baby. Also, are people with the premium member tags seen as pretentious? I'm new to the forums

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.