Football
Sponsored by

Bring Back Briles

39,593 Views | 400 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by ImABearToo
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ghostrider said:

Briles team would have put 100 on Aranda's.
I agree. Briles was innovative on offense. His defenses were comical, but I get it. Everyone has their own risk tolerance. His was super-high.

Briles would be a non-starter, period. However, there are other Coaches that share his philosophies on offense. One of those guys from even the D2 ranks would be a breath of fresh air.
Dia del DougO
Ghostrider said:

And he would appreciate it.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
Somebody is doing as much as possible to seem like a Cow or Frog troll.
Russell Gym
Mission accomplished
BBWCBear
FLBear5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

I agree. Briles was innovative on offense. His defenses were comical, but I get it. Everyone has their own risk tolerance. His was super-high.

Briles would be a non-starter, period. However, there are other Coaches that share his philosophies on offense. One of those guys from even the D2 ranks would be a breath of fresh air.
Testify! Fact...! The SEC didn't have 400+-500 yards of offense in their games until they incorporated some of his offense in their schemes. They adapted.
BBWCBear
cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Seriously disgusting that after everything we, as a fanbase, have been through because of Briles, some people would still welcome him back with open arms because they think it might win us a few more games of Football

Briles didnt care about what his players were doing, he had a duty of care that he just completely disregarded, but lets set aside his repugnant morals and his lip service to Christianity (some of you have done that anyway) and look at it from a purely Football point of view:

His Offence might have been cutting edge at the time, but Football has moved on and lets not forget, whilst his brand of Football was certainly exciting, in arguably the 2 biggest games of his tenure (the Cotton Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl) Briles chunked it through bad preparation and game management. Briles has been out of College Football for nearly 10 years and will be severely out of touch with the game, many coaching staff he might want to hire wont want to work with him and many players he might want to recruit wont want to come play for him because of his richly deserved reputation of being a morally bankrupt *******.

So yeah, stfu about Briles coming back here because even the most ardent Briles fanboi knows with 100% certainty that it will NEVER, EVER happen and nor should it. Utterly disgusted that fans of a supposedly Christian school would even contemplate wanting someone as morally bankrupt as him ever associated with the University again.

What exactly is truth and what is scapegoat? I need someone that was here to fill me in. From the outside it looked like it was an institutional issue, not just football. I really do not have a good enough grasp to pass judgement.
it was institutional, Baylor as a University was rotten, Briles was just a part of that, he wasnt the sole architect of it, it wasnt just the Football team, but the Football team and Briles were a significant part of it.
Soooo, where's your vitriol towards your Christian University??? Oh yeah, let's don't get in the bushes, $$$$$$$$ and more steeples on the horizon. No blasphemy towards the "expletive" Baptists. The BOR should rot in Hell.

ScottS
cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Seriously disgusting that after everything we, as a fanbase, have been through because of Briles, some people would still welcome him back with open arms because they think it might win us a few more games of Football

Briles didnt care about what his players were doing, he had a duty of care that he just completely disregarded, but lets set aside his repugnant morals and his lip service to Christianity (some of you have done that anyway) and look at it from a purely Football point of view:

His Offence might have been cutting edge at the time, but Football has moved on and lets not forget, whilst his brand of Football was certainly exciting, in arguably the 2 biggest games of his tenure (the Cotton Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl) Briles chunked it through bad preparation and game management. Briles has been out of College Football for nearly 10 years and will be severely out of touch with the game, many coaching staff he might want to hire wont want to work with him and many players he might want to recruit wont want to come play for him because of his richly deserved reputation of being a morally bankrupt *******.

So yeah, stfu about Briles coming back here because even the most ardent Briles fanboi knows with 100% certainty that it will NEVER, EVER happen and nor should it. Utterly disgusted that fans of a supposedly Christian school would even contemplate wanting someone as morally bankrupt as him ever associated with the University again.

What exactly is truth and what is scapegoat? I need someone that was here to fill me in. From the outside it looked like it was an institutional issue, not just football. I really do not have a good enough grasp to pass judgement.
it was institutional, Baylor as a University was rotten, Briles was just a part of that, he wasnt the sole architect of it, it wasnt just the Football team, but the Football team and Briles were a significant part of it.

There was 1 conviction. That's it. And the person with the conviction wasn't named Briles. You like you act like Briles raped 100 women.
Killing Floor
One job. Only reason score boards exist.
ImABearToo
And Briles had already kicked him out of the program. From all of the settlements BU paid out to victims, were any of the players responsible for those alleged acts ever mentioned by name?
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Killing Floor
I'm sorry. Who?
ImABearToo
The Tevin Elliott Story: The Untold Truth
Book by P Jones and Tevin Elliott
Bear8084
Convicted felon serving hard time writes book saying he's innocent. News at 10.
Redbrickbear
ImABearToo said:

And Briles had already kicked him out of the program. From all of the settlements BU paid out to victims, were any of the players responsible for those alleged acts ever mentioned by name?

I have always wondered how much money Baylor paid out….

I mean 8 years on and they are still fighting some of those cases and still spending money on lawyers fees
joseywales
Russell Gym said:

Trump has an excellent chance of being re-elected. Nothing he or any else can say or do will slow down his popularity.

Briles will never return to Baylor.
Yep Trump as all politician rely on the generals publics ignorance and fear.
cms186
BBWCBear said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Soooo, where's your vitriol towards your Christian University??? Oh yeah, let's don't get in the bushes, $$$$$$$$ and more steeples on the horizon. No blasphemy towards the "expletive" Baptists. The BOR should rot in Hell.

I have no affiliation or connection to the University, im merely a fan of the sports team, therefore i dont really care about it, but, literally in the post of mine that you have quoted, i said "Baylor as a University was rotten" im not really sure what else you are looking for, unless you just have a list of talking points and dont really bother to read the posts of people who dont mindlessly agree with you
I'm the English Guy
cms186
ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

There was 1 conviction. That's it. And the person with the conviction wasn't named Briles. You like you act like Briles raped 100 women.
a contributing reason why there were so few convictions (though there were 2) is because Briles and his staff tried to cover things up
I'm the English Guy
historian
You keep repeating ridiculous accusations from several years ago for which there NEVER was any evidence. That's incredibly irresponsible.
Killing Floor
Not convicted of anything. And NCAA fully exonerated him of all (all) allegations and that (that) is why Grambling State was able to offer and hire him as football offensive coordinator. He resigned because of outsider outrage and didn't want to be a distraction.

We can agree the treatment of many young people at Baylor is wrong. But let's take a second and sort this out.

Great coach engaged in questionable human resource scrutiny sentenced to life without a job. Seems reasonable.
Bear8084
Killing Floor said:

Not convicted of anything. And NCAA fully exonerated him of all (all) allegations and that (that) is why Grambling State was able to offer and hire him as football offensive coordinator. He resigned because of outsider outrage and didn't want to be a distraction.

We can agree the treatment of many young people at Baylor is wrong. But let's take a second and sort this out.

Great coach engaged in questionable human resource scrutiny sentenced to life without a job. Seems reasonable.

I'm talking about the Tevin Elliot book he suggested to read. He is still serving prison time.

As to the NCAA, they spoke of the mess in their full report. Which can be downloaded on their official website.
ImABearToo
He's the only jailbird from the hundreds of players that came through Baylor under Briles. And Art ratted him out. Several failed trials, "liar liar pants on fire!" Settlements galore, would love the names of the alleged purps.
Bear8084
ImABearToo said:

He's the only jailbird from the hundreds of players that came through Baylor under Briles. And Art ratted him out. Several failed trials, "liar liar pants on fire!" Settlements galore, would love the names of the alleged purps.

Ok.
Chuckroast
cms186 said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

a contributing reason why there were so few convictions (though there were 2) is because Briles and his staff tried to cover things up
It's mindless false comments like this that have been made so repetitively, the public has simply been gaslighted about Briles. There was no evidence that he tried to cover up sexual assault. On the other hand, he encouraged people to involve the police. The evidence shows that he was incredibly bothered by the accusations he heard and that he had compassion on the victims, but he was then criticized for simply suggesting that the police get involved and not following proper Title 9 protocols - of which we had none.
Ghostrider
cms186 said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Describe the coverup. So far Baylor and several other schools that have looked at hiring Briles have not found these coverups to be true.
BUGWBBear
Ghostrider said:

cms186 said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Describe the coverup. So far Baylor and several other schools that have looked at hiring Briles have not found these coverups to be true.

They also can't prove Briles raped anyone. But to not deny him makes their vaginas sore, so they don't bother.
ScottS
cms186 said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

BS
Married A Horn
This guy is a super lib who is ruled by emotion, not fact.

Makes him feel good to hate Art - facts are irrelevant.
jikespingleton
ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

We had 3 players formally accused of rape:
- There was 1 rape conviction (That scumbag Elliot).
- 1 sexual assault conviction (Ukwuachu).
- A third player, Oakman was accused of rape but not convicted.

Before anyone replies that Ukwuachu's case was overturned - The final outcome was conviction of sexual assault.

Having 3 players accused of rape is cause enough for termination, whether they were convicted or not. I'm not saying that Briles hid any of that and I don't think he did. Unfortunately, he and dishonest abe lincoln did try to cover up a lot of other things, including assault, battery, brandishing a firearm against a student and so forth.

If Briles had set expectations for behavior and followed through with penalties aka consequence, we would have probably seen a good 7-10 additional players get kicked off of his teams over the years and Briles would have not been terminated. Briles was unable to do that and the school used his overall lack of discipline as a means to can him.
historian
Then those administrations that would fire such a coach would be stupid & cowardly. No one should be punished over an accusation. That's why we have constitutional protections like due process. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor & if there is insufficient evidence then the defendant is not guilty. Third parties, such as coaches, should never be punished for being associated with someone who was accused. I know there are all kinds of complications & nuances in these situations but there are also are fundamental principles of justice. To my knowledge there never was an evidence of Briles failing in any of this. There were, however, lots of gossip & innuendoes with no proof. The only honest conclusion based upon what we know is that he was was railroaded.
Redbrickbear
jikespingleton said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

There were two rape convictions. Ukwuachu and that scumbag Elliot. A third player, Oakman was accused of rape but not convicted.
So, we had 3 players accused of rape - that is bad enough and would cost most coaches their jobs, even if none were convicted.

Again,

I am not going to relitigate the Art Briles buyout/termination (however you want to describe it)....and I have admitted it was the right of the Regents to move in a different direction with the football program HC.

But look up the history of the Big 10 schools and the SEC schools and get back to us on that bolded point.

Go look up Phil Fulmer at Tennessee as an example.

Just in 2005 alone he had 11 players in trouble with the law..... "Eleven Tennessee football players have been either arrested or cited for crimes ranging from aggravated assault to underage drinking to sexual assault..."

He even got a joke award named after him.

[The Fulmer Cup is awarded prior to the start of the regular season to the college football program whose players, during the off-season, collectively accumulate the most points; points are assigned for negative law enforcement contacts (a.k.a arrests,) and are scaled for severity of alleged offense.

To be eligible for Fulmer Cup points, a player must, a) be on the program's roster (no alumni or verbal commitments,) and, b) commit the offense(s) during the off-season.

Points are assessed based upon the severity of each alleged offense, on a scale of 1 (for "drankin', suspended license, and assorted petty misdemeanors") to 5 for murder.... Points are accumulative, and thus a player who steals a pig (petit theft, 1 point) then a car (3 points,) sexually assaults said pig (bestiality, 4 points) before drunkingly wrecking the stolen vehicle (DUI, 2 points) would be assessed a total of 10 points.]

Fulmer was HC from 1992 to 2008 at Tennessee....and they got rid of him because he had lost his coaching touch...not because he was running and out of control program with bad guys.
ScottS
jikespingleton said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Before anyone replies that Ukwuachu's case was overturned - The final outcome was conviction of sexual assault.

Having 3 players accused of rape is cause enough for termination, whether they were convicted or not. I'm not saying that Briles hid any of that and I don't think he did. Unfortunately, he and dishonest abe lincoln did try to cover up a lot of other things, including assault, battery, brandishing a firearm against a student and so forth.

If Briles had set expectations for behavior and followed through with penalties aka consequence, we would have probably seen a good 7-10 additional players get kicked off of his teams over the years and Briles would have not been terminated. Briles was unable to do that and the school used his overall lack of discipline as a means to can him.

The problem here is that accusations can be FALSE. Look at what happened to Oakman. How is it Briles fault that players are getting falsely accused??
57Bear
jikespingleton said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

How many downs did Ukwuachu play for Baylor?

Shawn Oakman graduated from Baylor in December 2015. This event took place on April 3, 2016 and he was subsequently found not guilty of the alleged sexual assault. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Oakman)
FLBear5630
Mitch Blood Green said:

Married A Horn said:

Everything should be in place for those worried about past issues. His product on the field was the best and most entertaining ever. Enough with this losing crap!

Why would Briles do that?

That is the better question.
cms186
Ghostrider said:

cms186 said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

Quote:

In one of the recently discovered cases, an alleged victim who was a Baylor student told Outside the Lines that she notified football team chaplain Wes Yeary about what she had reported to Waco police in April 2014: that her boyfriend, a Bears football player, had physically assaulted her on two occasions. The woman said Briles and university president Ken Starr were also told of her allegations. The woman told Outside the Lines that neither Briles nor the university disciplined her ex-boyfriend.
theres one that specifically names Briles
I'm the English Guy
cms186
ScottS said:

jikespingleton said:

ScottS said:

cms186 said:

FLBear5630 said:

cms186 said:

The problem here is that accusations can be FALSE. Look at what happened to Oakman. How is it Briles fault that players are getting falsely accused??
it was not Briles job to play Judge and Jury, it was his job to pass any reportsd of abuse top the relevent authorities, which he rarely did
I'm the English Guy
jikespingleton
historian said:

Then those administrations that would fire such a coach would be stupid & cowardly. No one should be punished over an accusation. That's why we have constitutional protections like due process.
While I agree with you in a general sense that due process is a critical component of Law, there are two headwinds that are faced.

The first is the fact that Baylor's administration decided to put this in public, trying to deflect blame. Once that was done, it was subject to the court of public opinion - which needs far less evidence to convict.

The second problem is that plenty of bad stuff was going on that wasn't sexual assault. So any time that someone tries to point out specifics that put Briles and Baylor in a better light, those positions are immediately weakened by all of the non-sexual assaults, but assaults nonetheless, that happened. The general public isn't going to care about the nuance between the two.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.