Liberals want war with Russia over Ukraine

37,322 Views | 755 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mothra
Whiskey Pete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

Rawhide said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

Simply state the following:

If Russia doesn't invade a peaceful neighbor, then no Russians will die. Peace will be maintained. If Russia invaded a peaceful neighbor, they will be sending their troops to their deaths. Choose peace. Choose not to violently invade your peaceful neighbor.
You misread the Russians. They want to be a world power like the USSR again. Putin knows this kind of escapade feeds into that desire and makes him popular.

They want empire, not peace.

And why don't you contact your Republican reps on this because they want confrontation with Russia.

Isn't it odd that they were silent when Trump debased himself before Putin, but are all over Biden for not being aggressive enough?
I find it interesting that Putin didn't invade Ukraine while Trump was in office. Of course now that we have a pansy in the White House, proved by the fubar'd mess in Afghanistan that your boy was in charge of, it's no surprise that countries like Russia and China are emboldened.

Gawd, are you that ****ing stupid to completely not see how weak our current POTUS is?
Not sure those 2 items are related. current POTUS might seem weak, but that had nothing to do with the Afghan withdrawal that was started years in advance.

Plus, not sure US status would impact Putin's actions, either.
A plan that wasn't followed by Dementia Joe.

Wow, are you really trying absolve biden of responsibility over how he fubar'd, you know, the actual pull out of which he was in charge? If so, you're dumber than I think you are.
Canon
bularry said:

Canon said:

bularry said:

midgett said:

Read recently (can't find the article) about Putin's negotiating style. This is how he was taught coming up in the Russian leadership.

You go to the meeting. You take your armed thugs with you. The other party will come to the meeting and bring their armed thugs, too.

If the two parties can't negotiate a deal acceptable to both parties, blood will spill. No one wants there to be blood on their own side.

If the other party doesn't come armed, you decide all the details of the deal.

If true, Putin is looking for weakness. He knows if the US shows a strong hand and the willingness to use it, that an agreement must be reached. If the US doesn't show a strong hand, he's gonna do what he wants.

It'll be interesting to see if Putin thinks Biden is serious. If not, Ukraine may be Russia's soon.

Does Russia want all of Ukraine? or just that Eastern strip? I'm not sure
How much of an invasion and violent annexation of foreign territory is acceptable?
None, but I'm wondering what Russia's objective is here.
It's not the objective so much as the means that are of concern. Russians are culturally terrible people. It's a diseased culture and has been for centuries. This is not surprising. They attack when they perceive themselves to be strong and their enemies weak. We are indeed projecting weakness and they want to take advantage of that.
GoldMind
I dont think anyone will ever learn their lesson.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
GoldMind
Canon said:

bularry said:

Canon said:

bularry said:

midgett said:

Read recently (can't find the article) about Putin's negotiating style. This is how he was taught coming up in the Russian leadership.

You go to the meeting. You take your armed thugs with you. The other party will come to the meeting and bring their armed thugs, too.

If the two parties can't negotiate a deal acceptable to both parties, blood will spill. No one wants there to be blood on their own side.

If true, Putin is looking for weakness. He knows if the US shows a strong hand and the willingness to use it, that an agreement must be reached. If the US doesn't show a strong hand, he's gonna do what he wants.

It'll be interesting to see if Putin thinks Biden is serious. If not, Ukraine may be Russia's soon.

How much of an invasion and violent annexation of foreign territory is acceptable?
It's not the objective so much as the means that are of concern. Russians are culturally terrible people. It's a diseased culture and has been for centuries. This is not surprising. They attack when they perceive themselves to be strong and their enemies weak. We are indeed projecting weakness and they want to take advantage of that.
You sound like someone who tell their kids that black people grow tails after dark.

Are you involved with Russians or do you just make **** up because you watched Red Dawn once?
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Mothra
bularry said:

Rawhide said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

If Russia doesn't invade a peaceful neighbor, then no Russians will die. Peace will be maintained. If Russia invaded a peaceful neighbor, they will be sending their troops to their deaths. Choose peace. Choose not to violently invade your peaceful neighbor.
You misread the Russians. They want to be a world power like the USSR again. Putin knows this kind of escapade feeds into that desire and makes him popular.

And why don't you contact your Republican reps on this because they want confrontation with Russia.

Isn't it odd that they were silent when Trump debased himself before Putin, but are all over Biden for not being aggressive enough?
I find it interesting that Putin didn't invade Ukraine while Trump was in office. Of course now that we have a pansy in the White House, proved by the fubar'd mess in Afghanistan that your boy was in charge of, it's no surprise that countries like Russia and China are emboldened.

Gawd, are you that ****ing stupid to completely not see how weak our current POTUS is?
current POTUS might seem weak, but that had nothing to do with the Afghan withdrawal that was started years in advance.
"Nothing"? Wow. I'd say he had a little bit more to say on that than nothing.

Look, I understand your need to absolve him of any wrongdoing, but his own generals were warning him against his withdrawal plan:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/28/top-generals-afghanistan-withdrawal-congress-hearing-514491
Mothra
Let's just say that Russia decided to join an alliance with Mexico, and as part of that alliance, agreed to defend Mexico against attack, and put Russian warheads in Mexico. We all know the US would come out strongly against that plan. Hell, we almost went to war over the Russians delivering arms to Cuba.

The situation here is not dissimilar.
DioNoZeus
Mothra said:

bularry said:

Rawhide said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

current POTUS might seem weak, but that had nothing to do with the Afghan withdrawal that was started years in advance.
"Nothing"? Wow. I'd say he had a little bit more to say on that than nothing.

Look, I understand your need to absolve him of any wrongdoing, but his own generals were warning him against his withdrawal plan:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/28/top-generals-afghanistan-withdrawal-congress-hearing-514491

Having Hunter as his son, you would think he would be aware that the withdrawal method never works.
FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

Baltic States are next .
China is watching.
FLBear5630
Mothra said:

Let's just say that Russia decided to join an alliance with Mexico, and as part of that alliance, agreed to defend Mexico against attack, and put Russian warheads in Mexico. We all know the US would come out strongly against that plan. Hell, we almost went to war over the Russians delivering arms to Cuba.

The part you are leaving out is the part about the Ukrainians wanting to join the West and NATO. You seem to think the wants and needs of Ukraine is irrelevant in this. Ukraine is asking for assistance to NOT become part of Russia's sphere of influence. Same with the Baltic States, they want to be part of NATO and Europe. How can you turn away and say nah, go alone against Russia. Same with Taiwan, they want to be aligned with Japan, US, Australia and Singapore. Doesn't free will mean anything in this? Or because you think they are too small we don't help?

Talk about strange bedfellows, Conservatives and Neville Chamberlin! Czech ask for help too in 39.
Mothra
RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

The part you are leaving out is the part about the Ukrainians wanting to join the West and NATO. You seem to think the wants and needs of Ukraine is irrelevant in this. Ukraine is asking for assistance to NOT become part of Russia's sphere of influence. Same with the Baltic States, they want to be part of NATO and Europe. How can you turn away and say nah, go alone against Russia. Same with Taiwan, they want to be aligned with Japan, US, Australia and Singapore. Doesn't free will mean anything in this? Or because you think they are too small we don't help?

Talk about strange bedfellows, Conservatives and Neville Chamberlin! Czech ask for help too in 39.

This is where I disagree with the neo-conservative Bush hawks. I don't see a point for needless aggression and wars. That is not Reagan conservatism, or traditional conservatism for that matter. NATO doesn't even want Ukraine to be a part of NATO. They could have extended that offer years ago. But why would they? Ukraine becoming a NATO member provides little, if any, strategic benefit. What it would force us to do is have to defend them, and spend billions propping them up. The entire country is corrupt, run by corrupt politicians, and is wholly unable to defend itself. And it would certainly increase the risk of war with Russia. There is little upside in having them be a part of NATO, and whole lot of downside.

Comparing this to Chamberlain's appeasement of Germany is an apples to oranges comparison. It's more akin to the Cuban missile crisis, wherein we agreed to get rid of warheads in Turkey in exchange with the Russians getting rid of missiles in Cuba. I am no Putin fan, but we don't need a war with Russia over a country that provides little if any strategic benefit.
GoldMind
RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

I don't think the global economy would benefit from another conflict, especially between 2 giants.

Putin just isn't in the habit of doing stupid sht, he never has been.
FLBear5630
Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

This is where I disagree with the neo-conservative Bush hawks. I don't see a point for needless aggression and wars. That is not Reagan conservatism, or traditional conservatism for that matter. NATO doesn't even want Ukraine to be a part of NATO. They could have extended that offer years ago. But why would they? Ukraine becoming a NATO member provides little, if any, strategic benefit. What it would force us to do is have to defend them, and spend billions propping them up. The entire country is corrupt, run by corrupt politicians, and is wholly unable to defend itself. And it would certainly increase the risk of war with Russia. There is little upside in having them be a part of NATO, and whole lot of downside.

Comparing this to Chamberlain's appeasement of Germany is an apples to oranges comparison. It's more akin to the Cuban missile crisis, wherein we agreed to get rid of warheads in Turkey in exchange with the Russians getting rid of missiles in Cuba. I am no Putin fan, but we don't need a war with Russia over a country that provides little if any strategic benefit.

I am curious how the elected Government of the Ukraine asks NATO for membership and asks to align with Europe is the same as Fidel Castro allowing Russia to station nuclear missiles 90 miles from Florida?

Ukraine is trying to get out from the influence of Russia and develop a Western Economy and Cuba was decidedly Communist supporting the USSR. You really see that as being the same?
FLBear5630
GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

I don't think the global economy would benefit from another conflict, especially between 2 giants.

You are mixing several different items, I don't disagree that it would not be good for the economies of the world.

You have a democratically elected Government asking for help to NOT be under Russia's influence and to help IF Russia invades. We are saying "No" because we do not want another war. Yet, it is somehow different than Czech in 39 asking Britain and France for help and Chamberlin giving whatever Germany wanted to avoid a war. You don't see a parallel?

I agree we should not be here and Putin only does what he thinks he can get away with. But, the current Administration and Merkle have set up a scenario where France, Britain, Denmark and even Spain are committed to at least trying to dissuade Putin and we are saying keep it small. If NATO lets Putin win, Xi will roll into Taiwan. But, I know we shouldn't get involved they have only been an ally since the 1940's.
GoldMind
RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

You are mixing several different items, I don't disagree that it would not be good for the economies of the world.

You have a democratically elected Government asking for help to NOT be under Russia's influence and to help IF Russia invades. We are saying "No" because we do not want another war. Yet, it is somehow different than Czech in 39 asking Britain and France for help and Chamberlin giving whatever Germany wanted to avoid a war. You don't see a parallel?

I agree we should not be here and Putin only does what he thinks he can get away with. But, the current Administration and Merkle have set up a scenario where France, Britain, Denmark and even Spain are committed to at least trying to dissuade Putin and we are saying keep it small. If NATO lets Putin win, Xi will roll into Taiwan. But, I know we shouldn't get involved they have only been an ally since the 1940's.

I just don't think this is a battle worth fighting.

I don't see what's to be gained, other than job justification for the DoD.
4th and Inches
C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

why would we think it is odd for neocon Warhawks to act like that? The MIC is licking its chops
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
GoldMind
So let me get this right, Putin has had roughly 22 years to "empire" his country backwards into the past, but has waited till just now?

Were yall talking this nonsense when he restored constitutional order to Chechnya?

Cold war mentality on both sides needs to die, its pathetic.
Canon
GoldMind said:

Canon said:

bularry said:

Canon said:

bularry said:

midgett said:

You sound like someone who tell their kids that black people grow tails after dark.

Are you involved with Russians or do you just make **** up because you watched Red Dawn once?

Done business with Russians several times. Also with Poles, Ukrainians, Bulgarians and Romanians, among others. The former are almost universally untrustworthy. It's part of their culture. The latter have a plethora of anecdotes to back up my assessment. Russians are a corrupt culture. Full stop.
Johnny Bear
Canon said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

Trump was in control of Putin. Putin feared Trump. Putin giggles at the prospect of facing Biden.

Trump was actually in affect waging bloodless war on Russia through implementing and supporting policies that made the USA energy independent and able to provide Western Europe with an alternative to just continually stoking the Russian economy through oil imports. Dementia Joe immediately reversed all of that by essentially declaring war on our own oil and gas development and surrendering energy independence back to foreign powers that don't have our best interests at heart - all to simply appease the nut job wacko far left environmentalists in his own party. In many ways he has stupidly participated in green lighting this fine mess we now find ourselves reacting to, not to mention that the Russians may well have him compromised to boot. If you think this would've played out this way if Trump were still POTUS you are either an idiot, or a moron, or you are so brainwashed you don't know which end is up.
FLBear5630
GoldMind said:

So let me get this right, Putin has had roughly 22 years to "empire" his country backwards into the past, but has waited till just now?

Were yall talking this nonsense when he restored constitutional order to Chechnya?

"Above all, we should acknowledge that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a major geopolitical disaster of the century. As for the Russian nation, it became a genuine drama. Tens of millions of our co-citizens and co-patriots found themselves outside Russian territory. Moreover, the epidemic of disintegration infected Russia itself." Putin

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26769481 Check out this article.

Giving Russia room is a mistake.
FLBear5630
Canon said:

GoldMind said:

Canon said:

bularry said:

Canon said:

bularry said:

midgett said:

Done business with Russians several times. Also with Poles, Ukrainians, Bulgarians and Romanians, among others. The former are almost universally untrustworthy. It's part of their culture. The latter have a plethora of anecdotes to back up my assessment. Russians are a corrupt culture. Full stop.
My dealing have been at least the Russian have a sense of humor, doesn't mean I trust them. Ukrainians, not so much. The most serious people I have met are Ukrainians!
FLBear5630
GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

Well, kiss Lithiuania, Latvia and Estonia good bye too. Taiwan will go to when Xi sees we won't do anything.
GoldMind
RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

"Above all, we should acknowledge that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a major geopolitical disaster of the century. As for the Russian nation, it became a genuine drama. Tens of millions of our co-citizens and co-patriots found themselves outside Russian territory. Moreover, the epidemic of disintegration infected Russia itself." Putin

Its ok to admit you're scared of what you don't know and hate what you don't understand.

Im still waiting on someone to tell me the end game here.
GoldMind
RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

Well, kiss Lithiuania, Latvia and Estonia good bye too. Taiwan will go to when Xi sees we won't do anything.
So?
FLBear5630
GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

So?
When does it start to matter?
GoldMind
RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

So?
When its a direct attack on Americans or American infrastructure. We cannot and should not be the worlds police, its cost us zillions every time we try and it never works out.

It should be called the Department of Ongoing Conflicts, not Defense.
Whiskey Pete
GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

So?
When its a direct attack on Americans or American infrastructure. We cannot and should not be the worlds police, its cost us zillions every time we try and it never works out.

Holy cow are you this obtuse?

Let Russia and China invade and take over countries, grow their landmass and obtain more natural resources while increasing their number of subjects and army too boot. It would be stupid to think that this would result in a direct growth of their power and riches.

Yeah, if we let that happen, I'm sure they would never attack America.

Holy cow, your post is the dumbest one I've read all day.
FLBear5630
GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

Its ok to admit you're scared of what you don't know and hate what you don't understand.

Im still waiting on someone to tell me the end game here.
Huh? You think the motivations or end games change or have changed since Ancient Greece? The battlefield may change, the method of battle may change but the motivations and desires stay the same.

Putin's end game? He wants the Ukraine and Baltics back in Soviet control. Poland too, but Poland is too far gone. He is trying to make sure those don't get there. What do you think he wants with 100,000 troops on their border and Crimea already "Annexed"?
Canon
Rawhide said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

So?

Let Russia and China invade and take over countries, grow their landmass and obtain more natural resources while increasing their number of subjects and army too boot. It would be stupid to think that this would result in a direct growth of their power and riches.

He's the Russian collaborator Daryl, from Red Dawn.
FLBear5630
GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

So?

And the allies that we have had relationships with for close to 100 years? Too bad?
GoldMind
Rawhide said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

So?

This might be the biggest waste of data space on a server Ive seen all day.

We all have nukes.

You're scared of a fictional scenario, nothing rooted in reality.

We have the best missile defense system on earth, the largest ballistic missile submarine fleet, the largest number of fighter aircraft, the most military satellites, we have only 2 borders and are guarded by thousands of miles of ocean on either side. We have hundreds of military bases around the globe, all defense as well as offensive capable at any moment. There are approx 112 firearms for every 100 people.

Chill.

Sam Lowry
C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

This board puts the incoherence of right-wing foreign policy on hilarious display. The same people who were committed war hawks under Bush 43 became isolationists under Trump simply because of party loyalty. If Biden confronts Russia, they'll condemn him as a warmonger. If he doesn't, they'll condemn him for being weak. Now they're dancing around in a low-level panic and trying to do both at the same time since they're not sure which way he'll go. It's quite a show.
Wangchung
Pyrite at best.
Canon
Sam Lowry said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

This board puts the incoherence of right-wing foreign policy on hilarious display. The same people who were committed war hawks under Bush 43 became isolationists under Trump simply because of party loyalty. If Biden confronts Russia, they'll condemn him as a warmonger. If he doesn't, they'll condemn him for being weak. Now they're dancing around in a low-level panic and trying to do both at the same time since they're not sure which way he'll go. It's quite a show.

Non leftists here were near universally in support of every military action Trump took. You are simply lying. Why do you insist on lying so much now? It's not a good look.
Thee University
Libs need Russia flexing to take attention off the never ending screw ups the Dems have racked up. All it will take is one punch on the schnoz of Biden and he will cave. War over. Chalk up another embarrassing loss.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
FLBear5630
GoldMind said:

Rawhide said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

GoldMind said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

So?

This might be the biggest waste of data space on a server Ive seen all day.

We all have nukes.

You're scared of a fictional scenario, nothing rooted in reality.

We have the best missile defense system on earth, the largest ballistic missile submarine fleet, the largest number of fighter aircraft, the most military satellites, we have only 2 borders and are guarded by thousands of miles of ocean on either side. We have hundreds of military bases around the globe, all defense as well as offensive capable at any moment. There are approx 112 firearms for every 100 people.

Chill.

Who said this was about nukes? Nukes are a non-issue between Russia, China and the US any use would open a pandora's box no one wants open. I would say there is a better chance of a tactical nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India than the US and Russia.

This is a political fight, Putin is influencing decisions. The troops are chess pieces. Russia does not want to roll into Ukraine for one reason, NATO would retaliate. If that is off the table, Russia will do what it wants like Crimea. I think Putin believes he can intimidate Biden, he did it before in Crimea.

The wild card here is the rest of NATO, minus Germany, sending ships and planes. Denmark, Spain and France sent a message. If Russia goes in to Ukraine and the other NATO powers get into a shooting war, all bets are off. There are 2 Combat Brigades in Germany and 173rd in Vicenza that could get caught up in this besides the aviation assets.

Weakness sucks. Attitudes like yours start wars.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.