Haley, DeSantis, Other?

16,668 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cobretti
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RMF5630 said:

BearFan33 said:

Cobretti said:

Florida dodged a bullet
Show's how accurate CNN polling is.
Of course their polling is fake, but the real election was quite close if I recall. Mischief in Broward was going on.
whiterock
Vignette on how hard Trump is working to build the party. An endorsement for County Judge in Nueces County Tx (Corpus).

Corpus SMSA is #129 largest. And he's working to control the party at the county level.

Impressive effort.

(lest anyone think he might not run or will be easy to knock off…..)

FLBear5630
whiterock said:

Vignette on how hard Trump is working to build the party. An endorsement for County Judge in Nueces County Tx (Corpus).

Corpus SMSA is #129 largest. And he's working to control the party at the county level.

Impressive effort.

I agree with his policies and his understanding of grassroots. The way he goes about it, not so much. I think he would be a fantastic PAC leader. He carries so many negatives into a General Election...
whiterock
RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Impressive effort.

I agree with his policies and his understanding of grassroots. The way he goes about it, not so much. I think he would be a fantastic PAC leader. He carries so many negatives into a General Election...

I see what you see.

But reality is: We're gonna have to figure out how to win with him at the top of the ticket.

The good news is, he IS grinding away building the machine to do that. The cherry on top that will make it viable will be DeSantis as VP.

I know your perspective on it. He will alligator snap at the faintest mention of a VP role. So does Ted Cruz when a SCOTUS seat is mentioned. They have to do that, to keep from having idle chatter about something so obvious take root and become a self-fulfilling prophesy that prematurely limits other options. But when the offer is actually made, it's a once-in-a-lifetime chance for a catbird seat. DeSantis will take it because it makes tons more sense to do so than not.
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Impressive effort.

I see what you see.

But reality is: We're gonna have to figure out how to win with him at the top of the ticket.

The good news is, he IS grinding away building the machine to do that. The cherry on top that will make it viable will be DeSantis as VP.

I know your perspective on it. He will alligator snap at the faintest mention of a VP role. So does Ted Cruz when a SCOTUS seat is mentioned. They have to do that, to keep from having idle chatter about something so obvious take root and become a self-fulfilling prophesy that prematurely limits other options. But when the offer is actually made, it's a once-in-a-lifetime chance for a catbird seat. DeSantis will take it because it makes tons more sense to do so than not.
Anyone that has read my opinions know how highly I think that the supporting infrastructure is as important, if not more, for the top person to be successful. (We discussed this in terms of Football programs and military operations) What the Trump (R) and other successful machines teams have in common is the understanding and desire to build this infrastructure, not rely on the media to do their work (Dems use media as a weapon).

Trump is building a substantial infrastructure and someone on his team understands the value and necessity of this base. Others that were good at it: Clinton (D), Abrams (D), Bushes (R), Reagan (R), Eisenhower (R), Johnson (D), Roosevelt (D). Trump gets it.

Just do not see him being able to serve as Chief Executive and win. Unfortunately, I do not think his personality is to be the power behind the throne.

I still think DeSantis will not take VP. Don't count him our as P...
Cobretti
Cobretti
FLBear5630
Cobretti said:

This is the problem! Trump needs to go away or GOP is done on National level. He is poison. The threats, slash and burn tactics, temper tantrums, whackjob candidates and conspiracy tinfoil hat accusations. Time to get back to professionalism in Government, adults. Maybe the GOP has to move to the middle more, closer to Reagan and Eisenhower policies than Trump.
Golem
Cobretti said:

He had his time. He did some good. Now it's time to GTFO the stage. RD is a FAAAAR better candidate.
Harrison Bergeron
RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

This is the problem! Trump needs to go away or GOP is done on National level. He is poison. The threats, slash and burn tactics, temper tantrums, whackjob candidates and conspiracy tinfoil hat accusations. Time to get back to professionalism in Government, adults. Maybe the GOP has to move to the middle more, closer to Reagan and Eisenhower policies than Trump.
This is exactly Trump's core problem in a nutshell.

DeSantis led Florida to the biggest bright spot on a bad night for Republicans, and Trump wants to make it about him by attacking the biggest winner.
J.R.
DeSantis show last night was indeed impressive. Hopefully, he can kick Trump to the curb.
whiterock
Harrison Bergeron said:

RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

DeSantis led Florida to the biggest bright spot on a bad night for Republicans, and Trump wants to make it about him by attacking the biggest winner.
Trump has no choice but to attack DeSantis. Trump misplayed his equity in the mid-terms; DeSantis hit a home-run. The primary is now game-on. It started Monday when Trump lobbed the first shot.

What's the future going to look like?

DeSantis has to govern. Trump doesn't. That will shape the context. It will push DeSantis to make more policy accomplishments. (a good thing). It will push him to expand more openly his network building nationwide. (which will invite more harassment from Trump). Most importantly, it clarifies that the 2024 GOP Primary will not be an early-run cat/mouse game to bleed off support from Trump to create opportunity. None of that will matter. The opportunity is clear; a fight is looming between two big bulls - a cagey old one, wounded, scarred but full of tricks.....against a younger, fresher challenger, buff and rippled, clearly capable of taking the old guy out.

First big question: GA Senate is headed to run-off. Who will Walker turn to for help? Trump? Kemp? DeSantis? Does DeSantis engage? It would not be without risk......but how can he beg off and cut Walker loose with the Senate on the line and still pretend to be the heir apparent to party leadership? I would advise DeSantis to partner with Kemp and drag Walker across the line, delivering a Senate majority. That would cement memes about Trump picking bad candidates that the New GOP had to rescue. But Trump and Walker are personal friends. How does Walker tell Trump to stay away?

FLBear5630
whiterock said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

RMF5630 said:

Cobretti said:

Trump has no choice but to attack DeSantis. Trump misplayed his equity in the mid-terms; DeSantis hit a home-run. The primary is now game-on. It started Monday when Trump lobbed the first shot.

What's the future going to look like?

DeSantis has to govern. Trump doesn't. That will shape the context. It will push DeSantis to make more policy accomplishments. (a good thing). It will push him to expand more openly his network building nationwide. (which will invite more harassment from Trump). Most importantly, it clarifies that the 2024 GOP Primary will not be an early-run cat/mouse game to bleed off support from Trump to create opportunity. None of that will matter. The opportunity is clear; a fight is looming between two big bulls - a cagey old one, wounded, scarred but full of tricks.....against a younger, fresher challenger, buff and rippled, clearly capable of taking the old guy out.

First big question: GA Senate is headed to run-off. Who will Walker turn to for help? Trump? Kemp? DeSantis? Does DeSantis engage? It would not be without risk......but how can he beg off and cut Walker loose with the Senate on the line and still pretend to be the heir apparent to party leadership? I would advise DeSantis to partner with Kemp and drag Walker across the line, delivering a Senate majority. That would cement memes about Trump picking bad candidates that the New GOP had to rescue. But Trump and Walker are personal friends. How does Walker tell Trump to stay away?

DeSantis will govern and ignore Trump. DeSantis will be in a position to handle issues and show leadership, starting today. We have a Hurricane hitting today, it is a Cat 1. But, it is a Hurricane. Trump still has to fight off the Jan 6th Commission and DOJ, do not underestimate that.

DeSantis is more likely to sign on with Kemp than Trump. Kemp is a professional, DeSantis respects that. Walker is problematic, but him winning is still better than Wornack for GOP.
Cobretti
FLBear5630
Cobretti said:

Keep your NY out of my Florida!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Cobretti said:

If this is true, Trump is finished. People, and especially Republicans have grown tired of this childish, backbiting crap. He and Joe can both ride off into the sunset and go play shuffleboard. Both men are too old to be President.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
FLBear5630
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Cobretti said:

If this is true, Trump is finished. People, and especially Republicans have grown tired of this childish, backbiting crap. He and Joe can both ride off into the sunset and go play shuffleboard. Both men are too old to be President.
He needs to go away. Before this election I thought he could play a role in a PAC, Commentator/rallies and Lobbyist. But, after his and that nut job Greene's implied and direct threats to anyone challenging Trump, they both need to go away. The fact that Greene won easily in GA is scary.
90sBear
If y'all want Trump to go away, I will say it again. You must be willing to state that you will not vote for him NO MATTER WHAT. Not in the primary, not as a third party (yes, he's the type to do it just to screw everyone over for his own ego), not even a "hold your nose" in the general.

These are only words that will work to make some people to hear.
Sam Lowry
90sBear said:

If y'all want Trump to go away, I will say it again. You must be willing to state that you will not vote for him NO MATTER WHAT. Not in the primary, not as a third party (yes, he's the type to do it just to screw everyone over for his own ego), not even a "hold your nose" in the general.

Yep.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

90sBear said:

Yep.
In a Primary, I agree. There will be choices - Halley, Pompeo, DeSantis, even choices like Hogan from Maryland are better than Trump.

The problem is if he survives the Primary and gets the Nomination, do you not vote? Or worse, vote for Kamala? Biden again? Or Beto? Or Abrams? Cheney?

The Dems have been Trump's best friend. Look at who they have run against him and what they did in 2020 with the election - mail-ins and changes in voting rules. The Dems have fueled Trump...
90sBear
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

90sBear said:

Yep.
In a Primary, I agree. There will be choices - Halley, Pompeo, DeSantis, even choices like Hogan from Maryland are better than Trump.

The problem is if he survives the Primary and gets the Nomination, do you not vote? Or worse, vote for Kamala? Biden again? Or Beto? Or Abrams? Cheney?

The Dems have been Trump's best friend. Look at who they have run against him and what they did in 2020 with the election - mail-ins and changes in voting rules. The Dems have fueled Trump...
You don't have this conversation. You inform people (friends, pollsters, anonymous people on an Internet forum) that you will not vote for him. You don't care when you are labeled a "never-Trumper" or that you have "TDS". You simply state, "No, I will not vote for him" and move about your day.
Canada2017
90sBear said:

Exactly right .
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

90sBear said:

Yep.

To repeat: "You must be willing to state that you will not vote for him NO MATTER WHAT."
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

90sBear said:

Yep.

To repeat: "You must be willing to state that you will not vote for him NO MATTER WHAT."

I am with you on this one Sam. But, it will be a much bigger issue in a General. Because, the GOP will basically punting one election cycle.
Oldbear83
90sBear said:

Wrong. In fact that's a great way to get Democrats elected.

Look, I agree that Trump's time to be President is past. But only a fool - and Lord knows there are a lot of those - imagines they can just order Trump to do this or that, or command his supporters to desert him, and get anything but a bad result.

Like it or not, Donald Trump is the leading GOP candidate to win the 2024 GOP Nomination for President.

In plain words, that means you are not going to be able to 'ban' him from running, you are not going to be able to force him to do anything he does not want to do.

YOU ARE A MORON IF YOU THINK TRUMP WILL JUST GO AWAY BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE HIM.

If you want Trump to leave the stage quietly, you must do the following:

1. Praise his accomplishments in public. Trump accomplished a great deal in judicial appointments, energy independence and cultural push-back against the Woke Terrorists that deserves praise anyway, and praising him will take away his sense that he needs to brag about his accomplishments.

2. Invite Trump to major events as an honored guest, the kind of person who appears on stage as a symbol of the party but in support of other speakers.

3. Investigate the hell out of everyone on the "January 6th" committee. Those committees never result in any new laws, but will give Trump the sense that the party has his back.

4. When Trump pops off, do not respond. Note that DeSantis handles this exactly right. Trump makes some crass comments, and DeSantis just ignores them. DeSantis keeps the high ground, stays on message, and Trump realizes his comments are getting no traction.

5. Privately offer Trump a role in party policy. See point 1, he's actually good at this job and can establish a continuing legacy that way. If Trump is offered a low-effort high-reward option he will take it.

6. This will take about 18 months to go from concept to fact. Don't expect immediate results. Slow is fast in this case.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

90sBear said:

Yep.

I am with you on this one Sam. But, it will be a much bigger issue in a General. Because, the GOP will basically punting one election cycle.
But on the bright side, it will still be a functional party.
90sBear
Oldbear83 said:

90sBear said:

Look, I agree that Trump's time to be President is past. But only a fool - and Lord knows there are a lot of those - imagines they can just order Trump to do this or that, or command his supporters to desert him, and get anything but a bad result.

Like it or not, Donald Trump is the leading GOP candidate to win the 2024 GOP Nomination for President.

In plain words, that means you are not going to be able to 'ban' him from running, you are not going to be able to force him to do anything he does not want to do.

YOU ARE A MORON IF YOU THINK TRUMP WILL JUST GO AWAY BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE HIM.

1. Praise his accomplishments in public. Trump accomplished a great deal in judicial appointments, energy independence and cultural push-back against the Woke Terrorists that deserves praise anyway, and praising him will take away his sense that he needs to brag about his accomplishments.

2. Invite Trump to major events as an honored guest, the kind of person who appears on stage as a symbol of the party but in support of other speakers.

3. Investigate the hell out of everyone on the "January 6th" committee. Those committees never result in any new laws, but will give Trump the sense that the party has his back.

4. When Trump pops off, do not respond. Note that DeSantis handles this exactly right. Trump makes some crass comments, and DeSantis just ignores them. DeSantis keeps the high ground, stays on message, and Trump realizes his comments are getting no traction.

5. Privately offer Trump a role in party policy. See point 1, he's actually good at this job and can establish a continuing legacy that way. If Trump is offered a low-effort high-reward option he will take it.

6. This will take about 18 months to go from concept to fact. Don't expect immediate results. Slow is fast in this case.
I will not vote for him NO MATTER WHAT.

[Set down phone, move about my day]
muddybrazos
RMF5630 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Cobretti said:

He needs to go away. Before this election I thought he could play a role in a PAC, Commentator/rallies and Lobbyist. But, after his and that nut job Greene's implied and direct threats to anyone challenging Trump, they both need to go away. The fact that Greene won easily in GA is scary.
Scary for whom? We need another 10 MTG's in congress and America First needs to be the priority of the republican party. Start doing something for your voting base similar to what Desantis has done in Florida.
Whiskey Pete
I'll be voting for DeSantis in the primary.

If Trump loses the Republican primary and runs third party, I will not be voting for him.

If he wins the Republican primary and the choice is between Trump and a leftwing democrat, I will vote Trump.

If Trump wins the Republican primary and the democrat choice is a Tulsi Gabbard or Joe Machin, I don't know yet.
FLBear5630
Oldbear83 said:

90sBear said:

I don't disagree, except on one point. There is only one way he doesn't run - he is convicted of some felony. May result in a fine. May result in a wrist slap. Or, a health issue keeps him from running, but as we saw with Fetterman that will have to be catastrophic. Bottom line, the only way he does not run is if he can't.

Once he can't, then everything you say will work. Until then, he wants the spot light and he will scortch earth if he doesn't get it. GOP, Democrats, USA, Media, Social Media, he does not care. He will throw a temper tantrum of monumental size. It will take an army of Cassidy's to clean up the spaghetti mess.

He may do that in either case. Because there is no way he wins the Presidency again. I don't even see him getting the nomination again. He may go 3rd Party, ala Perot...
Oldbear83
90sBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

90sBear said:

I will not vote for him NO MATTER WHAT.

[Set down phone, move about my day]
President Harris et all thanks you for helping her win.
TechDawgMc
RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

90sBear said:

Yep.

That's what the GOP has done for the last two presidential elections. Granted, the Dems were so bad in 2016 that they gave the election away, but there really is no excuse that the GOP doesn't control all three branches of government -- other than just the foolishness of letting that twerp have so much power.

I've voted Libertarian twice. If the GOP is stupid enough to put Trump up in 2024, I will do it again. I will hope we can get enough decent candidates (fewer Oz and Walker types) to get back control over the Senate and be able to stop whatever idiot the Dems put in the White House.

I will not, however, ever vote for that narcissistic moron.
Oldbear83
"There is only one way he doesn't run - he is convicted of some felony"

Nope. In the first place, Democrats know a conviction would not bar Trump from running. In the second, they don't really want a conviction, they want the lingering stench of investigation and legal costs.

Trump can be persuaded (go look at 2012, a lot of people don't know Trump started a run then but quit. Ask why and apply the lesson), but attacking him is not going to work in terms of keeping him off the ballot.
FLBear5630
TechDawgMc said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RMF5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

90sBear said:

Yep.

That's what the GOP has done for the last two presidential elections. Granted, the Dems were so bad in 2016 that they gave the election away, but there really is no excuse that the GOP doesn't control all three branches of government -- other than just the foolishness of letting that twerp have so much power.

I've voted Libertarian twice. If the GOP is stupid enough to put Trump up in 2024, I will do it again. I will hope we can get enough decent candidates (fewer Oz and Walker types) to get back control over the Senate and be able to stop whatever idiot the Dems put in the White House.

I will not, however, ever vote for that narcissistic moron.
I am hoping that Trump ends up going third party. Because if DeSantis runs, Trump does not stand a chance of winning the nomination, the GOP will flock to DeSantis - he is an adult...
Oldbear83
As long as you focus on Trump, you are missing the point. What is needed is winning over his base.

DeSantis is being very smart on that point. Governor DeSantis is simply ignoring Trump, which is the best way to handle him. And DeSantis' policies are exactly the common-sense measures MAGA Republicans will buy into.

Maybe 2-3 million of Trump's base are obsessed with the man, the rest support him because only Trump seems to be on message. DeSantis and anyone like him can win them over.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.