Help me understand

14,480 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by curtpenn
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
curtpenn said:

Mothra said:

trey3216 said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

This isn't a send up of the style of worship that anyone chooses, I've just always been curious as to why some denominations like baptist are so far from the original church.

I am Episcopalian and have many catholic and orthodox friends. And one guy in my division is from Egypt and he's Coptic. Which is interesting.

So what liturgy do you believe the early church engaged in which Baptists do not?

I would argue it's just the opposite - there is little evidence of liturgy in the church of Acts.

There's 2000 years of tradition, and the Bible clearly supports contemplative prayer, worshiping as a group, affirming faith, the use of wine in holy eucharist, confession of sin and teaches us that Christ admonished his apostles to continue his mission. Liturgy just organizes it all. Christ and his disciples created the framework for an amalgamated form of worship, and being that they were a group of middle eastern Jews, they had clearly been following Jewish "liturgy" and law their entire lives.

Do you not think that this continuation of the jewish faith would have similar structure?
I think one of the reasons Baptists don't have standard liturgy and scripted organization is because it makes worshipping Christ a formality rather than a spiritual conversation from the heart.
Bingo. Can't tell you how many Presbyterian services I have sat through the years where the pastor reads a prayer from a script to the congregation, and we have our little script and are supposed to respond to it. None of it comes from the heart.
Isn't that mainly a statement about the spiritual state of the congregants rather than the style of worship?
it is. I know you're not directly quoting me, but my argument is about the perception and reasoning behind it, not necessarily promoting or condemning one or the other. I find value in both varieties, and come from a background with heavy Catholic and Baptist traditions. I grew up going to both.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
GoldMind
Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

This isn't a send up of the style of worship that anyone chooses, I've just always been curious as to why some denominations like baptist are so far from the original church.

I am Episcopalian and have many catholic and orthodox friends. And one guy in my division is from Egypt and he's Coptic. Which is interesting.

So what liturgy do you believe the early church engaged in which Baptists do not?

I would argue it's just the opposite - there is little evidence of liturgy in the church of Acts.

There's 2000 years of tradition, and the Bible clearly supports contemplative prayer, worshiping as a group, affirming faith, the use of wine in holy eucharist, confession of sin and teaches us that Christ admonished his apostles to continue his mission. Liturgy just organizes it all. Christ and his disciples created the framework for an amalgamated form of worship, and being that they were a group of middle eastern Jews, they had clearly been following Jewish "liturgy" and law their entire lives.

Do you not think that this continuation of the jewish faith would have similar structure?
The Bible supports many of those things between believers, not in a corporate setting and certainly not as a ritual where someone is merely going through the motions. But if you have some scripture you believe says differently, what is it?

We simply don't see it as "going through the motions"
These are things we do each Sunday that hold significant meaning to us, it's part of affirmation. In school, we said the pledge of allegiance every day, it's meaning isn't lost on most folks, I don't think.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

trey3216 said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

I think one of the reasons Baptists don't have standard liturgy and scripted organization is because it makes worshipping Christ a formality rather than a spiritual conversation from the heart.
Bingo. Can't tell you how many Presbyterian services I have sat through the years where the pastor reads a prayer from a script to the congregation, and we have our little script and are supposed to respond to it. None of it comes from the heart.

I am not a member of a liturgical church, but, when I have visited liturgical churches, I have found no difficulty in responding from the heart. There is a beauty and poetry in the rhythm of the liturgy.
Mothra
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

The Bible supports many of those things between believers, not in a corporate setting and certainly not as a ritual where someone is merely going through the motions. But if you have some scripture you believe says differently, what is it?

These are things we do each Sunday that hold significant meaning to us, it's part of affirmation. In school, we said the pledge of allegiance every day, it's meaning isn't lost on most folks, I don't think.
For the record, I do not doubt that the liturgy has meaning to believers. As I said above, I feel the same way about the Apostle's Creed and taking communion. It is a good reminder of our identity as Christians and to what we are called. It's why I also take joy at singing traditional hymns. They are part of our church history, and have a special meaning. While I do think some denominations have added liturgy to what is required of us as Christians (see Catholicism in particular), for the most part I am of the belief that to each his own as long as it comports with scripture.

Mainly, I was responding to the premise of your thread, which seemed to suggest that Baptists or those churches who aren't as liturgical aren't following scripture. There is no scriptural support for that position.
GoldMind
Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

For the record, I do not doubt that the liturgy has meaning to believers. As I said above, I feel the same way about the Apostle's Creed and taking communion. It is a good reminder of our identity as Christians and to what we are called. It's why I also take joy at singing traditional hymns. They are part of our church history, and have a special meaning. While I do think some denominations have added liturgy to what is required of us as Christians (see Catholicism in particular), for the most part I am of the belief that to each his own as long as it comports with scripture.

Mainly, I was responding to the premise of your thread, which seemed to suggest that Baptists or those churches who aren't as liturgical aren't following scripture. There is no scriptural support for that position.

There's no scriptural support for the yearly celebration of Christmas or Easter. Please put your sword away.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Mothra
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

There's no scriptural support for the yearly celebration of Christmas or Easter.
Agreed. What's your point (if you have one)?
Johnny Bear
I believe much of this simply has to do with different Christian denominational traditions and viewpoints on Communion / Eucharist/ Lord's Supper, etc. I grew up a Southern Baptist, but have for the last 21+ years been a member of a UMC church that recently converted to the Free Methodist Denomination. My wife grew up Catholic and my older sister converted to Catholicism 50 years ago - so I've had a good deal of exposure to all 3 of those denominations.

Our pastor once talked about the different major viewpoints/beliefs on Communion/Eucharist/Lord's Supper during a sermon and he described it this way:

Catholics - Have great reverence for the Sacraments, especially including the Eucharist, and believe that during the Communion act the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ respectively and it is a part of the standard Mass whenever the Mass occurs.

Methodists and some of the other Protestant denominations don't believe the bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ during Communion, but do believe the believing Christian taking part in Communion is truly at that moment "communing with God (or the Holy Spirit)". Our church does it monthly.

Baptists and some of the other Protestant denominations see Communion or The Lord's Supper as a needed symbolic act that obeys Christ's command to "do this in remberance of me" (and my sacrificial act of dying on the cross as a means of salvation to the believer). Baptist churches do it everywhere from monthly to quarterly.

And by the way, my church uses grape juice as well - not because of a belief in tee-totalism, but because of a church policy of no alcohol at any church events out of concern/ respect for any members that may have struggled previously with alcohol issues or might be currently struggling.

Personally, I think this is one of those things where there's no one "correct" group and everybody else is wrong - I again just think it's a difference of traditions and what the individual believer is comfortable with. I look at the legitimate Christian denominations and their differences kind of like flavors of ice cream - while chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc. all taste different - in the end it's still all ice cream.

Osodecentx
Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

There's no scriptural support for the yearly celebration of Christmas or Easter.
I interpreted his question and its tone as sincere.

You tone seems defensive and aggressive.
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

I have no more a sword in my hand than he does. It's not as if he's been saying flattering things about Baptists lack of liturgy:

"I'd also love to hear why there's no liturgy. It's like stepping into an alternate reality."

"I've just always been curious as to why some denominations like baptist are so far from the original church."

GoldMind
Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

My point is I stated this to learn something, u mad or what?
GoldMind
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

I have no more a sword in my hand than he does. It's not as if he's been saying flattering things about Baptists lack of liturgy:

"I'd also love to hear why there's no liturgy. It's like stepping into an alternate reality."

"I've just always been curious as to why some denominations like baptist are so far from the original church."

I've attended several baptist church services and they still feel strange to me.

The baptist church as it stands today is far removed from the old-world forms of Christian worship, I don't see how that's debatable.

If you took these as combative idk what to say.
Mothra
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

My point is I stated this to learn something, u mad or what?
So you weren't taking shots at denominations with a lack of liturgy when you said:

Hmmm.

No, not mad. Just correcting your ideas that liturgy is required or was a part of the early church. It wasn't. See Acts.
Mothra
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

I've attended several baptist church services and they still feel strange to me.

The baptist church as it stands today is far removed from the old-world forms of Christian worship, I don't see how that's debatable.
I couldn't tell you. I am not Baptist. I just know that liturgy was not a part of the early church in Acts. Like I said, to each his own.
GoldMind
Osodecentx
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Which denomination, in your opinion, comes closest to the old world forms of Christian worship? What is your time frame for "old world?
trey3216
The 12 Disciples and the ensuing Apostles were hardly organized. They traveled the land and preached to anyone who would hear. That is more along the lines of how the Baptist Church started than anything the Liturgical churches have practiced over the years. I could argue the Catholic Church is more akin to the Temple of Solomon in regards to amassing wealth and having a written codex of worship than most of the Evangelistic churches. Hence the 95 Theses were written.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
GoldMind
Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

I couldn't tell you. I am not Baptist. I just know that liturgy was not a part of the early church in Acts. Like I said, to each his own.

I guess I just can't accept that Paul and Luke, the authors of Acts would had dropped any manner of liturgical worship, you know, Judaism that they and Christ along with all other apostles would have been adherents to.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that the other 2 middle eastern abrahamic religions also have organized worship structures as well?

I've never taken the position that the Baptists were "wrong" or anything like that.
Mothra
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

I guess I just can't accept that Paul and Luke, the authors of Acts would had dropped any manner of liturgical worship, you know, Judaism that they and Christ along with all other apostles would have been adherents to.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that the other 2 middle eastern abrahamic religions also have organized worship structures as well?

I've never taken the position that the Baptists were "wrong" or anything like that.
If they did continue to adhere to Jewish ritual and custom, it is certainly not recorded in scripture. What we do know is that Paul and Luke ministered to the gentile world, not the Jews who rejected them (and Christ). And the gentiles would have been unfamiliar with Jewish custom. In fact, Luke, as a gentile, would have been unfamiliar with it at as well, most likely.

Like I said, I am fine with liturgy that does not add to the word of God. To each his own. It's just not my cup of tea,
SSadler
As per this thread's discussions about wine/juice and weekly/monthly etc -- , if you want to really dig, google "transubstantiation" and "consubstantiation"--the primary difference between Roman Catholicism and most Protestantism at the point of the why and the what of communion.

But that's a long, sometimes tedious read for most.

In the mean time, Johnny Bear did a great job in dealing with it in one page.
LIB,MR BEARS
Maybe I'm reading something into this that isn't there as typing typically doesn't have tone. That being said, I read this as being a harsh, condescending question. I hope I'm wrong.
Forest Bueller_bf
C. Jordan said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

GoldMind said:

There's much of the Baptist denomination that I do not understand. Can anyone explain why the Eucharist is not taken every Sunday and why it's grape juice?
There is much about the Baptist demonization that they don't understand except looking over the shoulder.
Our Wednesday golf group used to have a Baptist in it. When a second one joined, the first one quit. I never knew why.
Don't know about this.

I do know that you should always take at least 2 Baptists fishing with you.

If you take one, he'll drink all your beer!
LIB,MR BEARS
trey3216 said:

curtpenn said:

Mothra said:

trey3216 said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Isn't that mainly a statement about the spiritual state of the congregants rather than the style of worship?
it is. I know you're not directly quoting me, but my argument is about the perception and reasoning behind it, not necessarily promoting or condemning one or the other. I find value in both varieties, and come from a background with heavy Catholic and Baptist traditions. I grew up going to both.
Hello me
Forest Bueller_bf
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

There's no scriptural support for the yearly celebration of Christmas or Easter. Please put your sword away.
I've got to say, not sure why the Baptist church I go to makes such a big deal out of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Halloween, wait trunk or treat.

And why something so important as the Lords Supper gets pushed back to once every 4 months, but giving money is pushed every week.

LIB,MR BEARS
Johnny Bear said:

I believe much of this simply has to do with different Christian denominational traditions and viewpoints on Communion / Eucharist/ Lord's Supper, etc. I grew up a Southern Baptist, but have for the last 21+ years been a member of a UMC church that recently converted to the Free Methodist Denomination. My wife grew up Catholic and my older sister converted to Catholicism 50 years ago - so I've had a good deal of exposure to all 3 of those denominations.

Our pastor once talked about the different major viewpoints/beliefs on Communion/Eucharist/Lord's Supper during a sermon and he described it this way:

Catholics - Have great reverence for the Sacraments, especially including the Eucharist, and believe that during the Communion act the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ respectively and it is a part of the standard Mass whenever the Mass occurs.

Methodists and some of the other Protestant denominations don't believe the bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ during Communion, but do believe the believing Christian taking part in Communion is truly at that moment "communing with God (or the Holy Spirit)". Our church does it monthly.

Baptists and some of the other Protestant denominations see Communion or The Lord's Supper as a needed symbolic act that obeys Christ's command to "do this in remberance of me" (and my sacrificial act of dying on the cross as a means of salvation to the believer). Baptist churches do it everywhere from monthly to quarterly.

And by the way, my church uses grape juice as well - not because of a belief in tee-totalism, but because of a church policy of no alcohol at any church events out of concern/ respect for any members that may have struggled previously with alcohol issues or might be currently struggling.

Personally, I think this is one of those things where there's no one "correct" group and everybody else is wrong - I again just think it's a difference of traditions and what the individual believer is comfortable with. I look at the legitimate Christian denominations and their differences kind of like flavors of ice cream - while chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc. all taste different - in the end it's still all ice cream.

Southern Neoplatonism?
LIB,MR BEARS
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

I read the same thing but interpreted it differently.

If, I am seeing things done differently than the way that I was taught then in my eyes, those things are different and probably wrong... at least until I'm educated otherwise.

This is probably a bad analogy but here goes.
Growing up, we had breakfast, lunch and supper. Dinner was only on Sunday afternoon after church. Imagine my shock when I found out the majority of America has a different view. Most of the time I still think y'all are wrong.
BearTruth13
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Paul was very much for getting rid of many Jewish customs and rituals. He butted heads with James (brother of Jesus) over this very issue for most of the history of the early church.

There really isn't any set "early church". Most of the churches were started in homes at various places around the Mediterranean, each with their own culture and practices. Jewish Christians and Gentiles fought over the "correct" Christianity for decades.

Most of modern Christian doctrine wasn't even fully codified until the early 300s with the First Ecumenical Council. Prior to that it was about 300 years of battles against various heretical teachings.

Then the Church split in two again during the Great Schism in 1054 and then again in 1521.

The church has literally had dozens of iterations in its 2000 year history. The Catholic Church of 2021 looks nothing like the Catholic Church of 1500, 1000 or 500 AD.

I really have relaxed most concerns I once had of denominational differences.

Only thing that matters is:

1) Jesus died on the cross for my sins and salvation
2) I have a personal relationship with Him
3) I will spread his Word
Oldbear83
I am no scholar, but I know this:

In the PRC, it's a crime to go to an 'unapproved' church, meaning a church not under the thumb of the MSS. There are thousands of such 'illegal' churches in China, where clergy and members both risk prison or worse if they are caught.

Those 'illegal' churches include Baptist, Methodist and Roman Catholic churches, and the ministers and priests who defy Beijing to keep the Gospel as Jesus taught it consider the other denominations sister churches in Christ.

The faith and courage in such churches reminds me very much of the first century Christians, whose commitment came at real cost and trouble, and because of that was true and deep.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Canon
To the alcohol issue, I always found it lacking in biblical credibility to avoid it for four reasons:

1. Jesus' first miracle was to create alcohol to continue a celebration where alcohol was expected and guests commented on same, wondering why the host would wait until everyone was already drunk to bring out the best.

2. The not wine but grape juice claim ignores that with no refrigeration, sugary juice either goes bad or ferments rather quickly into...you guessed it....alcohol.

3. The argument that they needed wine because water wasn't potable ignored the many instances of biblical interactions happening around a well.

4. The Bible advises against strong drink (distilled spirits), suggesting softer wine/beer are normal.

The Baptists are wrong on this score.
Florda_mike
GoldMind said:

There's much of the Baptist denomination that I do not understand. Can anyone explain why the Eucharist is not taken every Sunday and why it's grape juice?

I was raised Baptist too

Confused me too

Wife was Methodist and I tried it. Searched in my 30's and didn't care what people thought about me doing it and talking about it. It's my life and I've got to be happy with me! And now I am

Gave myself freedom to learn my own God better and forgive myself for a few things I thought I was going to hell for

This is all a big deal for someone to live a long and happy life

Hope it turns into a "Golden" life for you

Everyone deserves a great life

You're gonna be fine!
LIB,MR BEARS
I grew up in a Baptist church but married into a Catholic family 36 years ago. I have been to Mass many times. I gave some thought to converting but could never get past a couple of things 1) Confession to a priest. My view is, the curtain was torn from the top down providing me access to our Father through Jesus Christ without the need of an earthly priest and 2)Penance as assigned by a priest. Jesus Christ did the work and no work I can do will change that.

To be honest, I never considered it strongly enough to dig into it and ask anyone to explain it. If any of you can explain it, I'm all ears.
GoldMind
However you feel closest to God.

Many would argue the Orthodox Church is the closest iteration of the church. Many would do the same for Catholicism.

It's whatever.

I bought Paul through Mediterranean eyes by Kenneth Bailey, hopefully he can shed some light on what Paul was arguing with James about.
Aliceinbubbleland
We're Episcopalians. You know, Catholics who flunked Latin.
Mothra
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I grew up in a Baptist church but married into a Catholic family 36 years ago. I have been to Mass many times. I gave some thought to converting but could never get past a couple of things 1) Confession to a priest. My view is, the curtain was torn from the top down providing me access to our Father through Jesus Christ without the need of an earthly priest and 2)Penance as assigned by a priest. Jesus Christ did the work and no work I can do will change that.

To be honest, I never considered it strongly enough to dig into it and ask anyone to explain it. If any of you can explain it, I'm all ears.
Never have understood the praying to Mary thing either.
LIB,MR BEARS
Mothra said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I have had this explained as not "praying to" but more as a "prayer partner". I've asked family and friends to pray for me many times before. I have never asked a dead family member to pray for me. While I have said things ""to"" deceased relatives before like "Daddy I should have paid attention when you were doing X" it is really just me talking to myself. My daddy is in the company of our Heavenly Father and I don't believe is concerned about worldly things right now except to celebrate when another comes to Christ.

I've also had it explained to me that Mary pleads our case to Jesus. My issue with this is, why would she need to plead that He do something that was already His nature.

I've no idea if either explanation is as the Catholic Church views it but maybe, just two individuals I was speaking with.
curtpenn
Mothra said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

My journey on the Canterbury trail has enlarged my sense of what is referred to as the "Communion of Saints" - that is, all believers who have ever lived and those alive now. I take great comfort from the belief that I can (and do) regularly petition loved ones no longer present, as well as a handful of favorite saints and the Blessed Virgin to pray for me and others for whom I pray. People get too hung up on the whole "praying to Mary" thing. It is more productive to think of Marian invocation as asking for intercessory prayer as opposed to "praying to". Surely, most Baptists (and other denominations) have no reservations about that. It's been a tremendous blessing. Can't have too many of those.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.