Houston area dining talk

98,799 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by CammoTX
JusHappy2BeHere
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

http://houston.culturemap.com/top-100-restaurants/

what are your thoughts?
I liked the list. I didn't like the exclusion of Dolce Vita, but I'm okay otherwise.
I've been to Huynh Restaurant (#56) twice in the last 2 weeks.... it's awesome.... only about a mile from my job, I've tried 9 different entrees and 5 appetizers, thanks to one of those trips being with a large group that ordered off the Family Style Menu....

I haven't had anything I didn't like, including the Tofu and the Curry, neither of which are favorites of mine, but the Bo Luc Lac (marinated rib-eye tips also known as Shaking Beef) was my personal favorite... absolutely recommend.

It's on St. Emanuel and McKinney, just east of Hwy 59 from Discovery Green
GoBearsGo
Anyone been anywhere new? My birthday is coming up in a few weeks. We are eating at TRex and Squable. Some wine and small plates at TRex then more booze and plates and dessert at Squable.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Anyone been anywhere new? My birthday is coming up in a few weeks. We are eating at TRex and Squable. Some wine and small plates at TRex then more booze and plates and dessert at Squable.
No, I haven't. Haven't been to Squabble yet, so interested to hear your take.

CTCBear
It's my favorite restaurant in Houston.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

No, I haven't. Haven't been to Squabble yet, so interested to hear your take.

Been once and loved it. Might be better than TRex. The bread and desserts were better. Liked the overall setup and feel. And I liked that I can get a drink with liquor in it.
slimecap
Traveling to Houston and wanted to revisit some teenage year memories. San Jacinto Inn has been closed for many years - but a friend of a friend suggested La Lucha in the Heights. He said that they had many of the same recipes. I am not looking for the SJI buffet spread - just want food that tingles my taste bud memories. Has anyone tried La Lucha?
FranchiseBear
I have been to La Lucha and really like it. As you would imagine it is heavy on the fried chicken and shrimp. If you can go on a weekend night it gets pretty lively after about 8p when they start spinning old school records on a turn table. Wine list is weird in my opinion.

If in the area after dinner I suggest you try some of the local bars - Heights Beer Garden (esp if nice night out), Better Luck Tomorrow, 8 Row Flint, etc. Enjoy!
slimecap
FranchiseBear said:

I have been to La Lucha and really like it. ...
FranchiseBear Very helpful information. Thank you!
JusHappy2BeHere
Has anyone been to Artisans on Smith St Downtown (near Damian's and Brennan's) it's owned by the same people who own Le Mistral. My wife went with work friends and said it was the best fish dish she has ever had.... I haven't gotten a chance yet but planning on meeting her for lunch there soon.
bularry
Went to artisans a few years ago and had great experience. Pricey
bularry
slimecap said:

FranchiseBear said:

I have been to La Lucha and really like it. ...
FranchiseBear Very helpful information. Thank you!

Wine list is very heavy on sparkling
GoBearsGo
Spending the thanksgiving holiday in Houston, going to Indianola for thanksgiving dinner. Bringing my MIL wife and 15yr old son.

Looking forward to a few days of eating around Houston.
JusHappy2BeHere
GoBearsGo said:

Spending the thanksgiving holiday in Houston, going to Indianola for thanksgiving dinner. Bringing my MIL wife and 15yr old son.

Looking forward to a few days of eating around Houston.
Hope you enjoy it.... it's a great food town... so many good options in every type of cuisine
bularry
C Shepherd was on Jimmy Kimmel last night
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

C Shepherd was on Jimmy Kimmel last night
Saw the episode. He seemed a little nervous. I have the ccokbook and made his lamburger helper recipe. Easy to do and it was awesome. I have the ingredients to make the goat dumplings, except the goat.

Went to Coltivare Saturday night and really enjoyed it.

We hit State of Grace last Wednesday and had Indianola buffet for thanksgiving. Both were outstanding.
bularry
if you are around St Thomas area, definitely get some Tex Mex from Candente. Place is really good.
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

if you are around St Thomas area, definitely get some Tex Mex from Candente. Place is really good.
I teach Summer School over there.... I'll have to go try it for lunch
CTCBear
It's the best Tex Mex in Houston.
bularry
CTCBear said:

It's the best Tex Mex in Houston.

Only been once but don't disagree
GoBearsGo
figure I will fire this back up.

Tried Loch Bar last weekend. Great whiskey program. Fresh oysters. Neat vide. Overall was very good.

Coming in for a long weekend in a couple of weeks. Going to hit Better Luck Tomorrow, Traveler's Table, and Mutiny Wine Room for dinners. We will hit a few brunch spots. Celebrating a friend's birthday so we will hit bars before and after I am sure.

JusHappy2BeHere
Tomorrow night I'm finally going to One Fifth Gulf Coast.

slimecap
JusHappy2BeHere said:

One Fifth Gulf Coast
Love this item on their Brunch menu
"GAS STATION SNACKS ........ ASK
probably fried, most likely meat, generally never a vegetable"
JusHappy2BeHere
slimecap said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

One Fifth Gulf Coast
Love this item on their Brunch menu
"GAS STATION SNACKS ........ ASK
probably fried, most likely meat, generally never a vegetable"
I saw that.... I may have to give that a try
GoBearsGo
Friends of ours have been three or four times and love this version of one fifth.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Tried Loch Bar last weekend. Great whiskey program. Fresh oysters. Neat vide. Overall was very good.

Coming in for a long weekend in a couple of weeks. Going to hit Better Luck Tomorrow, Traveler's Table, and Mutiny Wine Room for dinners. We will hit a few brunch spots. Celebrating a friend's birthday so we will hit bars before and after I am sure.

Interesting list. I'm a BLT fan. Great cocktails
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Interesting list. I'm a BLT fan. Great cocktails
We love BLT and it's are usual spot for drinks after dinner and the food looks so good. We won't get in to Houston till 7 or 8 so we decided to eat there and try that food.

The other spots we just wanted to try some new things.

I'll report back.
CTCBear
I'm curious about Mutiny....
bularry
Mutiny looks super ******y to me, which fits the new Heights I guess. Interested to hear.
AStaton
CTCBear said:

So as a hobby, I started a wine-focused blog in January. Mutiny was actually the first place I reviewed. If you're interested in reading, here are my thoughts.
GoBearsGo
AStaton said:

CTCBear said:

So as a hobby, I started a wine-focused blog in January. Mutiny was actually the first place I reviewed. If you're interested in reading, here are my thoughts.
cool deal.
FranchiseBear
Reporting after going to Candente about a month ago for Saturday date night. I was not as impressed as several of the previous posts/comments. Given the part of town and Saturday night I was expecting a much more lively experience (thinking Armandos, El Tiempo Richmond or Washington, etc). My impression was it was like a large format mexican restaurant in suburbs of any major city.

I thought the food was ok but nowhere near the best tex mex in town. I will go back and try again but would not go on a Friday/Sat night if looking for a fun experience in addition to good tex mex. Maybe it has not hit its stride yet but this was my impression.

Went to Jonathan's the Rub at Memorial Green a few Saturday's ago with a large group. Cool build out and nice bar in comparison to the original. The app's were incredible -- we ordered 4-5 to share and all were outstanding. For dinner I got the shrimp & Grits and it was good - not great. Wife had chicken parm she really liked. All said I like the original better for its wackiness, more expansive menu, and being byob.

After dinner we walked across the street to BPD for drinks. If you have not been yet - outstanding neighborhood bar - with a BU connection.
bularry
AStaton said:

CTCBear said:

I"ll follow and apologize in advance for any snarky comments.
CTCBear
We should plan a Baylor wine night out. We can argue on which wine bar it should be at, but I think it would be fun.
bularry
I'm down.
JusHappy2BeHere
sounds like fun
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.