Houston area dining talk

98,723 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FranchiseBear said:

That looks amazing. Is the cookbook somewhat easy to follow?

Pretty easy. I've done this and Lamburger Helper.
CTCBear
Its really easy to use.... I would highly recommend the chicken on page 39
GoBearsGo
Coming in a week or two for a long weekend. We are meeting some friends at State of Grace one night. We have a couple of other dinners, so I'll ask anything you'd recommend?

I have a hard time branching out from Squable, or Trex, or Nancy's (if it's open).
CTCBear
Wish I could recommend something... they have completely revamped their menu since I went last.

GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

Wish I could recommend something... they have completely revamped their menu since I went last.

Should have been more clear, any places you think we should hit up while there? We are staying in The Heights. We have hit all of Sheppard's and the spots I mentioned. Just wanting to see about some other favs.
br53
B&B Butcher isnt that far from the Heights. 1814 Washington Ave
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

CTCBear said:

Should have been more clear, any places you think we should hit up while there? We are staying in The Heights. We have hit all of Sheppard's and the spots I mentioned. Just wanting to see about some other favs.

You been to Nobies? 1751 sea and bar? But not sure if those have reopened.

Our LaTable? Backstreet Cafe is open I think. Caracol
br53
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

CTCBear said:

You been to Nobies? 1751 sea and bar? But not sure if those have reopened.

Our LaTable? Backstreet Cafe is open I think. Caracol
NOBIES: Acclaimed Montrose restaurant Nobie's announced on social media that it will be closed after a member of its kitchen staff tested positive for the virus. The post notes that the employee did not interact with customers and that none of the restaurant's other employees have shown symptoms of the disease. Nobie's will undergo a deep cleaning prior to reopening and will maintain its practices related to health and sanitizing when it does.

Was announced this morning on the CultureMap Houston Website. This is a great site for updates on bars, restaurants and all kinds of stuff going on in Houston.
CTCBear
I def echo 1751 and am sad about Nobies...

Have you made it through Hugo's spots? Hugos, Caracol, Xochi

Some other favorites are Coltivare, Riel, Kata Robata.

I would toss in Bravery chef hall as well. some really good food options and is a great lunch spot.
br53
I havent been to the Heights area to eat in a long time. So im about out of ideas there.
GoBearsGo
1751 is a place we want to try so I think we will add that to the list. We haven't been to any of the chef hall places so maybe we will grab lunch at Bravery.
CTCBear
If you hit up 1751 I highly recommend the seafood charcuterie platter and a gin cocktail...
bularry
CTCBear said:

I def echo 1751 and am sad about Nobies...

Have you made it through Hugo's spots? Hugos, Caracol, Xochi

Some other favorites are Coltivare, Riel, Kata Robata.

I would toss in Bravery chef hall as well. some really good food options and is a great lunch spot.
I know Riel and Kata are open
bularry
just listened to David Chang's podcast with Chris Shepherd on Ringer network. Very interesting for those interested in the restaurant world.

GoBearsGo
Thursday-we will play that buy ear when we get into town. Might do TRex or Squable. Or we might go try Hando, the house we are renting is a couple blocks away. Probably head to 8 road flint or BLT or Lai Lo.

Friday we are hitting up 1871 for dinner. Might grab lunch at Montrose Cheese and Wine.

Saturday we have dinner at State of Grace. My wife wants to hit Electric Feelgood sometime.

Sunday we have brunch at Lucille's before we fill the cooler at Costco then head back to the #409.

I'll post some pics.
br53
GoBearsGo said:

Thursday-we will play that buy ear when we get into town. Might do TRex or Squable. Or we might go try Hando, the house we are renting is a couple blocks away. Probably head to 8 road flint or BLT or Lai Lo.

Friday we are hitting up 1871 for dinner. Might grab lunch at Montrose Cheese and Wine.

Saturday we have dinner at State of Grace. My wife wants to hit Electric Feelgood sometime.

Sunday we have brunch at Lucille's before we fill the cooler at Costco then head back to the #409.

I'll post some pics.
If you feel like a ride to River Oaks try a'Bouzy. Great food.
AStaton
br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

I'll post some pics.
FWIW, a'Bouzy has had amazing daily takeout specials since COVID-19 began.
br53
AStaton said:

br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

I'll post some pics.

Yes the stuffed flounder was great and so were the reddish tacos
br53
br53 said:

AStaton said:

br53 said:

GoBearsGo said:

I'll post some pics.

Yes the stuffed flounder was great and so were the reddish tacos
The special today looks really good at a'Bouzy. Prime rib for two, horseradish sauce (dont need it) and loaded potatoes with a bottle of wine for 69$.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

I'll post some pics.
you tried Kulture?
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

I'll post some pics.
you tried Kulture?
I have.... it's just across the street.... or it was pre quarantine.... it's very good.... I liked the atmosphere and the story.... food was outstanding...
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
topcrickets
GoBearsGo
I'll post some photos later-

Thursday night-8 Row Flint had drinks and some nachos and tacos. Neat vibe and great drinks.

Friday-Went to brunch at Revival Market we had quiche, breakfast burritos, and iced coffee.
We had a couple drinks and some late lunch items at Toasted Coconut.
Dinner was at 1751 Sea and Bar-great food and gin
Drinks after at Axelrad-was able to make reservations

Saturday-brunch at Better Luck Tomorrow-the spaghetti sandwich is so good.
Late lunch at F&M bar and kitchen
Dinner at Superica stayed till close. Lots of ritas and great texmex

Sunday-had brunch at Lucille's and that was great.
Ordered the grill at home kabob platter from One Fifth Med and is was awesome.

bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Thursday night-8 Row Flint had drinks and some nachos and tacos. Neat vibe and great drinks.

Friday-Went to brunch at Revival Market we had quiche, breakfast burritos, and iced coffee.

thought Superica had temporarily closed due to a staff person being infected? guess not!

gotta say, you are braver than I. those are all good spots and they are careful, but that's a lot of time indoors with strangers... I'm glad you are supporting them, though!
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

thought Superica had temporarily closed due to a staff person being infected? guess not!

gotta say, you are braver than I. those are all good spots and they are careful, but that's a lot of time indoors with strangers... I'm glad you are supporting them, though!
We did patios on all but Lucille at least 6-10 feet apart. Superica just opened up. They all limited seating and spacing.

We drove by some spots though that looked pretty packed.

I'll tell you in 14 days if this was a huge mistake. We wore masks, washed hands, took all the precautions we could besides just staying inside.
GoBearsGo
What the hell is going on with these old posts being commented on?
FranchiseBear
Went back to Superica Friday night. Wait was almost 2 hrs due to Covid requirements. The food was outstanding. Queso and beef fajita nacho app- nachos were outstanding.

Combo fajitas were very good.
GoBearsGo
Went to Kata Robota tonight. Oh man it was so awesome. We hit Squable tomorrow night.

bularry
damn that looks good
GoBearsGo
Went to Squable last night and it was terrific as always.

CTCBear
Squabble is so freaking good. That Focaccia and the Manhattan are two of my favorite thing.
GoBearsGo
Hitting Coltivare tonight. I'll report later.
GoBearsGo
Always great food and drinks and Coltivare

br53
If you want to cook with homemade pasta and sauce go to Fabios artisan Pasta in the River Oaks area. https://fabiosartisanpasta.com/
bularry
had my first sit down, in restaurant meal last Saturday. Went for lunch to Avondale Food and Wine. We enjoyed it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.