Houston area dining talk

98,721 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
Nguyen One Soon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saw where Tony Vallone, the "Godfather of Houston restaurateurs," died yesterday. His wife plans to keep Tony's open.
bularry
He was a legend. Tony's has been the hospitality standard for a long time.
bularry
One of you big rollers go to Bludorn and give us a review
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

I had reservations for Saturday and had to move them due to a death in the family. I think we moved it to the end of the month.

Went to Kata Robata this past weekend. So freaking good.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

I had reservations for Saturday and had to move them due to a death in the family. I think we moved it to the end of the month.

I'm counting on you!

I've been to Nobies a couple times since they reopened. Outstanding just like always.
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

I'm counting on you!

I've been to Nobies a couple times since they reopened. Outstanding just like always.
Have you been to Alex's Kitchen in Mo City?

it was recommended by a neighbor
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
br53
JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

I'm counting on you!

I have been. It is muy bueno.
JusHappy2BeHere
br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

I'm counting on you!

that was the word on the cu-de-sac
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
JusHappy2BeHere
br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

I'm counting on you!

We went to Alex's Kitchen Tuesday night and there was steady pick up traffic but no one sitting, so we ate in a Restaurant for the first time since March.
It was excellent. Mrs. had the Fish and Chips, which is not the traditional batter or fish but it was very good. I had the flank steak with red wine reduction. We shared the Fried Green Tomatoes and the Fried Shrimp Basket.... bot had a couple of Beers and got out for under $80.

It was an excellent meal and a very nice time.... it may become our regular Tuesday night spot.

Mahatma Gandhi
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

I'm counting on you!

We go next Saturday. Our reservation is like 9pm. I'm going to have to take a big nap to be able to stay up that late. I'll post a report. Everything I have heard is it's going to be great.
br53
I saw yesterday where COVID affected Fertittas bottom line so much that he opened a new restaurant and partnered with King Ranch. It is where the Willie G's was off of San Felipe and Post Oak. I absolutely can not stand the man but I may have to give this place a try.
CTCBear
Went to UB Preserve last night and sat on the patio. Couple of new dishes and new drinks. Was the first time we have gone anywhere in 6 months and it felt great.
JusHappy2BeHere
br53 said:

I saw yesterday where COVID affected Fertittas bottom line so much that he opened a new restaurant and partnered with King Ranch. It is where the Willie G's was off of San Felipe and Post Oak. I absolutely can not stand the man but I may have to give this place a try.

He turned a really good Oceanaire Seafood Room into a more expensive but just as average Landry's

Mahatma Gandhi
br53
Yea he can screw em up. Most of his places are average food with below average service and high prices
bularry
br53 said:

Yea he can screw em up. Most of his places are average food with below average service and high prices

Yeah, outside of the downtown V&A, service never matches price at his places.
GoBearsGo
Bludorn was great. Service was at a very high level. They have a great wine list. Som was great. Lead us to a great Chateu Nuff that was great.

Started with grilled oysters and beef short rib ravioli with fig and blue cheese. Wife and I split a fantastic burger and the Lobster pot pie. So so good. The apple crisp was phenomenal.

Can't wait to go back.

br53
I went to Burger King and had the 2 for $5 mix and match. Whopper and crispy chicken sandwich. It was pretty horrible.
bularry
what vintage Bloom's Field is that?
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

what vintage Bloom's Field is that?

FranchiseBear
We are in process of remodeling a home in Houston and temporarily renting a house in Spring Valley. Any one have recs on hole in wall or 'hidden gems' in this area N of I10? Specifically Mexican, Asian (Thai, Korean, Viet), fried chicken joints. Looking to step out and try some new things - thanks in advance.
br53
FranchiseBear said:

We are in process of remodeling a home in Houston and temporarily renting a house in Spring Valley. Any one have recs on hole in wall or 'hidden gems' in this area N of I10? Specifically Mexican, Asian (Thai, Korean, Viet), fried chicken joints. Looking to step out and try some new things - thanks in advance.

I have several friends in that area let me ask them.
FranchiseBear
Appreciate it!

I'll add Mediterranean/Greek as well.
bularry
FranchiseBear said:

lots of ethnic places on airline near there.... but i can't give any recs as I've been away from the area a long time

FranchiseBear
Are we talking about the same area? Spring Valley is just N of Memorial HS and I/10. BUT just north of here around Long Point there are lot of ethnic restaurants and what I'm jones'ing for.
br53
Jonathans The Rub is on the Memorial Side and not really a hole in the wall. Some good Korean food is Chimac, Krisp Korean Fried Chicken, Korea Garden, Bori and Krazy Katsu, Choong Man Chicken and Udon. Tacos Dona Lena, Polonia and 7taco are good for some quick mexican food. Warehouse 71 and The Branch are both good. Most are right there on I10 and some are 2 miles off on the North Side of I10.
bularry
FranchiseBear said:

Are we talking about the same area? Spring Valley is just N of Memorial HS and I/10. BUT just north of here around Long Point there are lot of ethnic restaurants and what I'm jones'ing for.
yes, Long Point is what I was thinking of
CTCBear
Veng Thai is a solid choice as well.
FranchiseBear
Thanks guys. Will definitely put those on the must try list. And br53 I mentioned to my wife last weekend we need to hit the old Jonahans(I actually prefer this one to the new glitzy one).
KEBasketball
br53 said:

I went to Burger King and had the 2 for $5 mix and match. Whopper and crispy chicken sandwich. It was pretty horrible.
Yep, but I left quickly before they could change their mind...

- KEB
FranchiseBear
Went to DelVista the last two Friday nights - been completely packed both nights. Highly recommend if you liked La Vista in Briargrove. Last night had calamari app, Sparta pizza and spaghetti and meatball special. My wife loves spaghetti and said it's as good as Carrabba's.

Wine value is very good. I'll ty and link article. I think they really hit where the Del missed.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-28-20-del-vista-local-bar-grill-new-restaurant-chef-greg-gordon-the-del-la-vista-briargrove/
BUwolverine2012
El Tiempo filet fajitas
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
GoBearsGo
Saturday night we are going to Rosie Cannonball after a tamale making class at Sylvia's enchilada kitchen.
CTCBear
For the love of God please order the Focaccia...
GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

For the love of God please order the Focaccia...
Will do. I'll report back.
bularry
went to brunch at ABouzy last weekend.

Food was good, interesting people watching, but definitely not my jam. Won't be going back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.