Houston area dining talk

98,724 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by CammoTX
br53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

went to brunch at ABouzy last weekend.

Food was good, interesting people watching, but definitely not my jam. Won't be going back.

The only thing worth getting at ABouzy is the takeout dinner special. Every day I get an email for their take out special, usually something for 2 people and a bottle of wine or champagne. Unless it is the prime rib the dinner is usually $40 and tastes good. Not great but good. It is in Rover Oaks so the people watching for commoners like you and I is pretty entertaining but they put me off with their attitudes.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
GoBearsGo
Rosie Cannonball was great. Started off with the charred bean salad and focaccia. The focaccia is on another level. Then had a crab pasta and cacio e Pepe pizza. Both were awesome. Ended with an apple tart and they brought us a cheesecake for our anniversary and both were amazing.

CTCBear
That focaccia just makes me so happy.
bularry
br53 said:

bularry said:

went to brunch at ABouzy last weekend.

Food was good, interesting people watching, but definitely not my jam. Won't be going back.

The only thing worth getting at ABouzy is the takeout dinner special. Every day I get an email for their take out special, usually something for 2 people and a bottle of wine or champagne. Unless it is the prime rib the dinner is usually $40 and tastes good. Not great but good. It is in Rover Oaks so the people watching for commoners like you and I is pretty entertaining but they put me off with their attitudes.

For sure, don't see many orange lambos usually
FranchiseBear
That looks amazing.
GoBearsGo
Went to brunch at Xochi. Holy ***** It was so great. I went a few year ago when they had the buffet but the a part was unreal. I'll post pic etc a little later.
GoBearsGo

FranchiseBear
Picked up Veng Thai for dinner. Got Drunken Noodles with chicken and pork and egg rolls. The noodles were very good- will order again.
Thx for the rec!
GoBearsGo
I'll be posting this weekend. We are coming into Houston for some shopping and relaxation. Thursday eve is Squable. Friday is Bludorn. Saturday is Xin Chao. Plus Christmas bars and other drinking establishments.
bularry
went to Doris for first time last weekend. Did it up for our family of 5.

Really good food. Enjoyed it. Bread service was ++, steaks were cooked to perfection, tuna tartare was great appetizer.....will go again

Interesting green Lambo SUV in valet as we were leaving.

GoBearsGo
Squable was great Thursday night. Friday night we went to Bludorn again and it's quickly becoming my favorite place in Houston. Food is top notch. Service is great. Just a wonderful experience.

Saturday night we went to Xin Chao and loved it. Cant wait to go back. Let me know if you want more details or photos.
CTCBear
Squable is just the perfect neighborhood restaurant. We went last week and just crushed all of the small plates. And happy hour 50% off all booze is just the best thing.

Tell me what you had at Xin....
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Squable was great Thursday night. Friday night we went to Bludorn again and it's quickly becoming my favorite place in Houston. Food is top notch. Service is great. Just a wonderful experience.

Saturday night we went to Xin Chao and loved it. Cant wait to go back. Let me know if you want more details or photos.
I have heard Bludorn executes perfectly... but the menu lacks anything really interesting. your thoughts?
GoBearsGo
CTCBear said:

Squable is just the perfect neighborhood restaurant. We went last week and just crushed all of the small plates. And happy hour 50% off all booze is just the best thing.

Tell me what you had at Xin....

We had egg rolls and pork belly bao. The bao was amazing. Braised pork and crispy rice was wonderful. Came out in a cast iron dish and the rice gets crisp on the bottom. Also had a version of shaken beef which was great. Will definitely go back. Light and bright inside. Service was good.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

I have heard Bludorn executes perfectly... but the menu lacks anything really interesting. your thoughts?

We've been twice and both times gotten the burger and loved each bite. This time we started with the Brussel sprout flatbread and it was great. We then got two pastas a gnocchi and a white truffle tortilini. Of course we had the burger also.

The menu seems simple but is very complex. The wine list is great and the somm is very helpful to guide along. We can't wait to go back and try more.

bularry
Went to Rosie Cannonball

Great, great food and service
GoBearsGo
Nancy's Saturday night and next Saturday we are doing their new pizza place.
bularry
Visited Xin Chao on Saturday night. New place. Really enjoyed our food. We ordered just about everything.
GoBearsGo
Hit Nancy's Saturday. Great meal. The Nancy Cakes are one of my top five dishes in Houston. Not sure the rest of the but that's one of them.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

Hit Nancy's Saturday. Great meal. The Nancy Cakes are one of my top five dishes in Houston. Not sure the rest of the but that's one of them.
yeah, dig those Nancy Cakes

I want to try Little Giants.
WILLIS
So disappointed with the service at Annie Cafe & Bar last week. Sommelier was less than helpful and recommended us two wines. Looked them up and they were listed 6-8x retail price on their list. Won't be back for a good bit.
WILLIS
Going to Killens STQ Friday night. Yum.
FranchiseBear
Speaking of Killens. Has anyone tried Killens fried chicken joint? It's on my list. I did go to Gus's Hot chicken last week. It was packed at 2p... I would give it a 5-6 out of 10. Just wasn't terribly impressed.
WILLIS
Killens of the Heights (southern) that took over Hickory Hollow spot? Or another Killens fried chicken joint?
br53
I have tried to go to Goode Co.'s Goode Bird a few times but each time I go either I get their hours wrong or I decide I cant spend that much for fried chicken.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
FranchiseBear
Yes that's the one that took over hickory hollow I think off Washington.

Goode bird is on list also I just don't want to go over there on a Sunday night to pick up.
GoBearsGo
Had to go to Houston yesterday to pick up stuff from Georgia James. They are doing an online cooking class with Johnny Carrabba and martini class.

We decided to stay and have a cocktail at The Chalet at RosieCannonball. Great outdoor space to chill. We then went next door to Rosie's and had a great dinner and it was 20% off before 6.

If you haven't been you need to. The focaccia is unlike any you've had. Great pizza and pasta. The honey cake for dessert was so sos good.
bularry
WILLIS said:

Killens of the Heights (southern) that took over Hickory Hollow spot? Or another Killens fried chicken joint?

Heard it is really good

No interest from me for Goode Bird.

Tried tiny champions pizza and give it a hearty thumbs up.
FranchiseBear
Picked up Goode bird a few Sunday's ago. It was good but expensive for just 5 ppl. The biscuits with honey butter and homemade jelly were damn good.

I'll hit killens next. What is champions pizza?
WILLIS
a'Bouzy appetizer list is pretty fantastic. Good oysters and great presentation. Wine selections really not that much higher than retail. Enjoyed it a lot.
br53
WILLIS said:

a'Bouzy appetizer list is pretty fantastic. Good oysters and great presentation. Wine selections really not that much higher than retail. Enjoyed it a lot.
Their take out specials have been great during the COVID bs. Bottle of wine and dinner for two usually around $50-$60.
bularry
FranchiseBear said:

Picked up Goode bird a few Sunday's ago. It was good but expensive for just 5 ppl. The biscuits with honey butter and homemade jelly were damn good.

I'll hit killens next. What is champions pizza?
Tiny Champions is new EADO spot from owners of Nancy's Hustle. Italian food driven, especially pizzas,

We got 2 to go last Saturday and ate them at How to Survive.... great experience.
CTCBear
Where do you rank How to Survive on the list of Houston wine spots? Is it worth driving further than Montrose Cheese or Light Years?
FranchiseBear
Went to STQ Saturday night with a group of 8 guys. First time to go there and I was super impressed. If you haven't been it's a much more relaxed environment than other high end steak joints.

We shared 2 large platters of meat that included - ribeye, filet, and a pork schnitzel. Holy cow they were all good. All of the sides were equally good. Highly recommend.
bularry
CTCBear said:

Where do you rank How to Survive on the list of Houston wine spots? Is it worth driving further than Montrose Cheese or Light Years?

Never been to Light Years, so can't compare. but it had a really cool vibe. I've been twice. I'm a fan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.