Houston area dining talk

98,774 Views | 1051 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by CammoTX
GoBearsGo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friday started at Present Company for drinks. Usual chic insta place. Nothing special. Then hit Secret Garden at Bravery Chef Hall. Really cool vibe. Some great food there if you have never been. On to Helen Greek Food and Wine, what a great meal. I always kinda have them on the back burner but it is always so good. The had a Texas spanakopita with greens and it was so freakin good. Finished the night at Tongue Cut Sparrow. Such a cool relaxing vibe.

Saturday we did lunch at Toasted Coconut. Such a hidden gem. The food is outstanding, same owners as Nobie's so really chef driven. The over to chick insta heaven for Wonder Bar. Dinner at Riel. Wow. Had a great meal and drinks.

Brunch at Superica. Always top shelf.
bularry
ate dinner at Nobie's Sunday night. Great as always. didn't take pics

We gotta go to Toasted Coconut...just haven't done it yet.

you went to Wonder Bar? ha ha. you are much younger than I thought.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

47. We went to Houston to celebrate her best friends 50th. They wanted to go.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

47. We went to Houston to celebrate her best friends 50th. They wanted to go.
we had dinner at Tiny Champion's last night. really good and interesting food. lighting outside wasn't great so I didn't take pics, but really interesting mackerel small plate, mushroom salad, and braised beans. well crafted flavors
JusHappy2BeHere
So what is the best Seafood Restaurant in Houston now?
CTCBear
1751 would be my vote.
JusHappy2BeHere
CTCBear said:

1751 would be my vote.
I'm hearing this a lot lately
br53
JusHappy2BeHere said:

So what is the best Seafood Restaurant in Houston now?
Captain Benny's running away with it.
bularry
CTCBear said:

1751 would be my vote.

Very good. Also consider Uchi and Kata Robata.

Plus many top restaurants do seafood dishes, which will be some great options.
bularry
goodnight hospitality shut down the Chalet; the casual outside bar area behind rosie's. too bad, it was a pretty cool place to have a good drink and some good food.

GoBearsGo
bularry said:

goodnight hospitality shut down the Chalet; the casual outside bar area behind rosie's. too bad, it was a pretty cool place to have a good drink and some good food.

It's just the winter theming. It will reopen with a new "concept" very soon. It's a cool place.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

It's just the winter theming. It will reopen with a new "concept" very soon. It's a cool place.
no, it isn't reopening as a new concept. they are going to set it up to do banquets, etc at the former dance hall. the staffing will go to support Rosie lunch service.

GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

no, it isn't reopening as a new concept. they are going to set it up to do banquets, etc at the former dance hall. the staffing will go to support Rosie lunch service.

that sucks. I really enjoyed that vibe.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

that sucks. I really enjoyed that vibe.
agree. My bet is that in a few weeks this decision gets changed/updated. we'll see

March about to open. I am super jazzed to go there soon.
bularry
wife and I went to happy hour at UB Preserv on Friday night. Pretty good deal they have going and we ate and drank well for $60.
br53
I went to Luby's in Stafford yesterday. It still tastes the same after 40 years and costs more. Dont go back
Bear8084
br53 said:

I went to Luby's in Stafford yesterday. It still tastes the same after 40 years and costs more. Dont go back

I dunno...I do miss the fried fish, okra, Mac and cheese with a green or red jello Luann platter.

Also, I know it's a chain and I do plan to go to some cool places frequently again in H-Town once I have my full vaccine, but the wife and I enjoyed a great steak at Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse for our Anniversary this past weekend .
br53
Bear8084 said:

br53 said:

I dunno...I do miss the fried fish, okra, Mac and cheese with a green or red jello Luann platter.

Also, I know it's a chain and I do plan to go to some cool places frequently again in H-Town once I have my full vaccine, but the wife and I enjoyed a great steak at Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse for our Anniversary this past weekend .
It is consistent but instead of the jello I like the pudding or pecan pie. The rest is exactly what I ordered.
bularry
V&A isn't really a chain. It is Landry's, but started in Houston
JusHappy2BeHere
bularry said:

Its one of the few places that didn't get appreciably worse after Tilman took it over
Bear8084
bularry said:

True, though they have a few places across the US now. Chain-ish, but Houston based. Still a favorite for us for special occasions.
GoBearsGo
Had Easter lunch at Indianloa today. It was a seated buffet. They bring you the list and you just tell them what you want and they bring it out. They'll bring more if you ask. Was very very good.

WILLIS
State of Grace was excellent last night. Table 32 is the table to be at for a party of 4. Big horse shoe plush bench watching all the action. The bar there is just beautiful. Prefer to be there on a date.
CammoTX
Finally hit up Rosie Cannonball. It was very good.
bularry
WILLIS said:

State of Grace was excellent last night. Table 32 is the table to be at for a party of 4. Big horse shoe plush bench watching all the action. The bar there is just beautiful. Prefer to be there on a date.
the bar there is the prettiest in the city that I've seen.
JusHappy2BeHere
OK... I'm going to put you guys to the test.

Anywhere in Greater Houston. 60th Birthday Celebration. 3-4 pm on a Sunday. Son in Law doesn't own any long pants, and has a shell fish and tree nut allergy.

Any Ideas?

Getting a new SiL is not an option.... he's the father of my Grandson
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
br53
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Anywhere in Greater Houston. 60th Birthday Celebration. 3-4 pm on a Sunday. Son in Law doesn't own any long pants, and has a shell fish and tree nut allergy.

Any Ideas?

Pappas steaks or The Oaks in Katy wear khaki shorts and a polo
JusHappy2BeHere
br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Any Ideas?

Seriously, I couldn't imagine going to PBS in shorts.... My Boomer is showing, right?
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
br53
JusHappy2BeHere said:

br53 said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Any Ideas?

Seriously, I couldn't imagine going to PBS in shorts.... My Boomer is showing, right?

Agreed but I went one night the table next to me had on a t shirt and gym shorts. I was beyond pissed and I'm only 41.
br53
The Oaks on Cane Island is very nice and has great food and drink selections.
WILLIS
$30 pair of chinos for SIL is worth $300 celebration!
JusHappy2BeHere
WILLIS said:

$30 pair of chinos for SIL is worth $300 celebration!
He doesn't want to invest in pants at his current weight....

he's a good kid.... I don't want to make a big deal about it and make him feel worse

Mahatma Gandhi
CammoTX
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Any Ideas?

B&B Butchers
Bear8084
https://houston.eater.com/maps/best-houston-restaurants-38-essential

Some good places on the list. Just depends how casual you want to get.

Some I recommend off the top of my head are FM Kitchen and Bar or Phat Eatery.
WILLIS
Skip Bludorn unless you want to go broke paying for a cheeseburger and typical American eats frenched up.

Skip Tony mandolas. A shell of itself since moving to current location from where brasserie is now. A shame really. Was so lively and fun.

Skip 3/4 the restaurants on that list honestly. A few good ones indeed though!

Turners would be a good spots if you want a meal to remember. Awesome ambience. You'll walk outside and be blinded by the sunlight though afterwards hah.

Pappas steakhouse is always great. Can't ever imagine going there without pants but apparently it's possible. I would feel uncomfortable trying that. I don't know about going there mid afternoon but could be fun.

Brennan's in their courtyard would be absolutely fantastic and perfect on a Sunday, especially if it was a pretty day! Inside is fantastic as well. Brennans all the way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.